9 Patch Top

I finished my quilt along 9 patch top before we left last week. I really really love this quilt. As you can tell I changed the pattern a little bit. (its supposed to look like this ) Me+sashings = grumpy……so I changed it. Lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy me.
Right now this quilt top is buried in the depths of the car. Did I mention I’m really sick of traveling? I am. My feet are numb from the AC blasting in the car, I’m sick of eating junk food, gross public restrooms and counting bug splats on the windshield. We’re in Portland now, which I love love love Portland, but I’m still ready to get unpacked and setteled. And I’m going through sewing withdrawls, I’m starting to get the shakes and lash out at my loved ones…..must…..sew…soon.

52 Responses to 9 Patch Top

1. Chase July 22, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

wow.. am I the first one enter the comment here…:)

nice quilt! Safe travel! I love the polka dots fabric you used.

2. erica e July 22, 2009 at 12:38 pm #

oh man! i love this. what great fabrics you have! and i'm with you on the sashing thing. i love the look of sashing. i hate sewing sashing. great colors. great quilt.

3. Amy July 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

Love your version of this quilt – beautiful! Hope you settle down soon…

4. RosaMaría July 22, 2009 at 2:39 pm #

great version! the sashing make me grumpy too…but i'll try with the "one a day quilt a long 2".

5. Michaela July 22, 2009 at 2:43 pm #

I love this version of the 9 patch quilt. great color selection…

6. Leslie July 22, 2009 at 2:44 pm #

this is such a pretty way to do the 9 patch…. I am stalling on finishing mine because i hate to do sashing. it never goes well.

7. Cathy July 22, 2009 at 3:01 pm #

Wow! I love your nine patch quilt. The white squares really make the others pop. You are not lazy, just creative.
    Cathy

8. daffodilhilltoo July 22, 2009 at 3:16 pm #

Its great! I just started the 2nd round of the same quilt along and I love your idea of doing the white blocks instead of sashing. Hmmmmm, now I don't know which to do.

9. Rachael Adele July 22, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

Wonderful– I hate sashing, too, and this was a great way to get around it!

10. badlandsquilts July 22, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

One thing I learned in a hand quilting class, was to always have a little project that you can keep in a ziploc in your purse. It was years ago, and I am still finishing the quilt because that is the only time I work on it, in the car, at the Dr. Etc. Hexagons are also good for road trips (for future) Glad you arrived safely at your destination!

11. roseylittlethings July 22, 2009 at 3:25 pm #

Ooh I just love your fabric choices! Can you tell me where you got them? I love the white squares too, much easier:)

12. Sara July 22, 2009 at 3:27 pm #

I'm laughing at that picture of your car. You always crack me up!

And I like the changes you made to the nine patch quilt. Very cute!

Happy unpacking!

13. Goddess in Progress July 22, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

Love that variation on the nine-patch quilt. Good choice, that sashing was a pain in the rear. :-)

Safe travels, hope you get to sew again soon!

Liz @ teeny tiny quilts

14. Chris July 22, 2009 at 3:59 pm #

I love your Quilt.

Have a safe trip and be sure and stop at Fabric Depot in Portland – you can fit some fabric in I'm sure.

Chris

15. chimes July 22, 2009 at 4:33 pm #

ooh I love the fabrics you chose! They are really cool and most look like repros… or at least retro. 😀

16. Bowlby July 22, 2009 at 4:50 pm #

I love your version! The white blocks make it very fresh.

17. Pink Little Ladies July 22, 2009 at 4:54 pm #

It turned out cute, I am cutting the sashing now and am so excited to get mine all put together. Good luck with all the driving, sounds like a party!:)

18. Aimee July 22, 2009 at 5:28 pm #

Really cute! I love how you changed the border – very nice!

19. Vicki July 22, 2009 at 5:32 pm #

Very cute! I am working on a no obligation 9 patch when I have time. I even started it before the official quiltalong. I'm going to try to think of ways to change it up too.

20. Sharla July 22, 2009 at 5:48 pm #

I like yours better! Your choice of fabrics always amazes me.

21. Sara July 22, 2009 at 5:57 pm #

Its beautiful, I love it!

Hope you are having a safe trip!

22. CJ July 22, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

The quilt looks great! So fresh looking. I am in round two and actually making my blocks this time.

23. GloJoeSews July 22, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

I LOVE it! It has so much movement and energy. I'm going to put mine together like yours. I just LOVE lots of white in a quilt!

24. Linda July 22, 2009 at 6:19 pm #

Often folks with sewing machines are homebodies by nature, I think. Traveling always looks fun until you realize you can't sew and drive. I used to joke about mounting my sewing machine to the dashboard of the car when my kids were young and on sports teams or in theater productions. I like your quilt! Did you see the 9-patch version at the Red Pepper Quilts blog? It also has no sashing. Here's hoping you get settled soon.

25. Jeanne July 22, 2009 at 6:31 pm #

Beautiful, cheery quilt! Nice work.

26. Ariel July 22, 2009 at 7:00 pm #

LOVE your lazy quilt top…ha! What a fresh, vintage look! Hang in there, little nomad…you'll have a home soon 😉 Glad you are finding ways to post on the road!

27. Cheryl Arkison July 22, 2009 at 7:02 pm #

I love that the sewing stuff took up such valuable real estate.
    Hang in there.

28. Amanda July 22, 2009 at 7:15 pm #

What a good idea to avoid sashing! I just started the second round of the 9 patch quilt along. The first round produced such beautiful results that I couldn't resist. But my biggest fear was the sashing. NOW, I'll have to think long and hard about whether I'm going to do it the "right" way or your way!

Have a great trip!!

29. Doris July 22, 2009 at 8:08 pm #

Who needs sashing…looks great!

How's that Diet DP treatin' ya?

30. Evenspor July 22, 2009 at 8:58 pm #

I can't blame you. I hate sashings too. I thought I was the only one. They look so easy, but they come out so crooked. At least for me.

31. allsewnup July 22, 2009 at 9:20 pm #

I just L-O-V-E your version. In a sea of sashed quilts I am definitely going this route on my second time round with crazy mom quilts. Wow.
    Safe journeys,
    Carolyn*

32. Mountain Home Quilts July 22, 2009 at 9:31 pm #

Isn't it funny how a totally simple (and old) pattern can still look so great!? I like your version. Squares seem way easier than the sashing!

33. amy smart July 22, 2009 at 9:33 pm #

I think this is my favorite of the 9-patch quilt-a-long quilts I've seen. Your fabric choices rock. (Love the American Jane!) And I like the way you used the white squares instead. Looks very fresh/funky but retro. Ooo. I think I need to use up my American Jane this way too! Thanks again for the lovely inspiration. Safe travels!

34. Lisa July 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm #

Love your revised sashing, looks perfect!

35. Heather July 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm #

I like your quilt, the fabrics are just fun :) Welcome to Portland, enjoy your stay! I can't blame you for wanting to get home, it's exhausting having to travel.

36. patsy July 23, 2009 at 2:57 am #

This is GORGeous!!

I want this to be my next project… I can't believe you are bloggy while traveling? YOU ROCK

37. Tracy T. July 23, 2009 at 3:52 am #

Your nine-patch is tres adorable! I'm currently struggling through sashing hades, and well, let me tell ya', things are NOT going to line up perfectly. Oh well. And, I second the Fabric Depot recommendation, although I must confess I dropped some serious change there about a month ago! Hope you're home and back to your sewing machine soon!

38. Erin O. July 23, 2009 at 4:05 am #

Gorgeous! And I like your version just as much as the original.

39. Andi July 23, 2009 at 4:14 am #

Really lovely!!

40. Robin (rsislandcrafts) July 23, 2009 at 1:37 pm #

I did two with the sashing and it did make me very grumpy. I actually like the way yours look better. I think I'll try your style next :)

41. Mal* (turning*turning) July 23, 2009 at 2:29 pm #

Hope you hit your destination soon! :)

42. sandra July 23, 2009 at 5:19 pm #

It's beautiful!

43. Diane July 23, 2009 at 7:42 pm #

I like your version better. Looks great!

44. Olya July 23, 2009 at 8:42 pm #

reading this post was like seeing myself just a week ago, when our whole family was traveling (we're in OR as well). Bugs, packed car, AC, snack and junk food, and not being able to work on my projects were some of the most annoying things for me too…

Love the quilt!

45. amandajean July 23, 2009 at 8:43 pm #

it's gorgeous!!! i love how you changed it up. nice work!!!

46. the momma July 24, 2009 at 1:02 pm #

I love the quilt! No offense to AJ, but I think I like this even better than the sashing ~ but then, I am a simple girl….

happy trails

47. beth July 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

i go through those sewing withdrawls too! i just got back from a short stay away and can't wait to get SEWIN!

48. Casey July 25, 2009 at 1:24 am #

it's so cheerful looking! I really like it!

49. 2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel July 25, 2009 at 3:15 am #

Im loving our lack of sashing. I hate sashing too and am looking for an alternative. this may be it.
    😉

50. Hedgehog July 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm #

Love this quilt! I'm not such a sashing fan, either. Seems like there are a lot of us out there!

51. Christina July 26, 2009 at 7:48 am #

What! In Portland and no email? 😉 You are probably home by now. Relaxing, I hope. :)

52. jaybird July 28, 2009 at 5:00 am #

who does like traveling?? not me… i've had fun here in LA but i can't wait to get home! i like the change you made on your nine patch… sashing can take forever!