Pink houses

I had a spurt of sewing energy the past couple of days and decided it was time to cut into my fabric.  I forgot how much I love a simple fence rail pattern, especially when its stuffed full of pink.   This top measures 37in. by 40in.  I cut all the strips in this quilt 2 inches. IMG_0793 The fabric colors are based around the little houses print with pinks, green, yellow, and orange.   I’m not sure the name of that houses print, but the rest of this quilt is made from fabrics by Amy Butler, Sandi Henderson, Denyse Schmidt and a few others here and there.  The dark pink border is a Sandi Henderson print, I thought I had enough of it but needed 1 more 2” strip, so I had to make a quick fabric run this afternoon. (hate it when that happens!)  Its so nice to have a quilt shop nearby with lots of selection, even if the ladies that work there are mega cranky at all times.  Seriously….cranky.  They probably should eat more donuts. IMG_0794 And thanks for all the fall pillow love!  I’ve had some questions about fabrics/ pattern.  The pattern is in Stitch magazine to clarify, and was written by Malka.  You can attach the button by using a long needle to thread from a button on the back to the button on front and so forth.  I should have taken a picture of the back because its also pieced with a cute button…but I didn’t.  The fabrics are a mix from a big pile, and honestly I don’t know the names of most of them, but if I did you know I would tell you!

40 Responses to Pink houses

1. AmyC August 26, 2009 at 11:47 pm #

Wow…totally adorable. I love the pillow, too!

2. RosaMaría August 27, 2009 at 1:15 am #

is to lovely!!!!!

3. Rannyjean August 27, 2009 at 1:34 am #

I just love the colors!

4. Anonymous August 27, 2009 at 2:20 am #

Gorgeous.
    I hear what you're saying about the women at the fabric shop. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking into an exclusive club and there is no way I'll ever be made a member at my shop!!

5. shay August 27, 2009 at 2:21 am #

the ladies at my quilt shops are cranky too!!!! weird.

6. Hope August 27, 2009 at 4:53 am #

Beautiful! I LOVE the colours you've used.

7. Danielle August 27, 2009 at 5:00 am #

Thanks for sharing – your speed and enthusiasm are inspiring! Not to mention the gorgeous colour combinations. I'm loving that pink border.

And I'm with you on the cranky quilt shop ladies – what is going on there?

8. Pikku- Kettu August 27, 2009 at 5:41 am #

It's gorgeous! I love the pattern!

9. Alisa August 27, 2009 at 6:16 am #

Simple and stunning!

10. Robin (rsislandcrafts) August 27, 2009 at 6:24 am #

Beautiful! The ladies at our LQS seem to disappear right when you need them…

11. Michell August 27, 2009 at 7:11 am #

Great color combinations…
    I really love it…

Michell
    Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved

12. Gale's Goodies August 27, 2009 at 10:38 am #

This is on my list of patterns to make. A question– After you piece together the 2 inch strips, what size did you cut the blocks?

Love these colors, thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

13. Linda August 27, 2009 at 10:48 am #

This quilt is beautiful. Looks like you are getting back into your creative groove very nicely lately! My LQS ladies are super nice…come back to Ohio Amish country!

14. Aimee August 27, 2009 at 11:00 am #

Beautiful quilt! I love the rail fence too. I also have a great LQS run by super cranky women. How can you be so cranky surrounded by such beautiful fabrics all day???

And, do you know which fabric is the pink outline of circles on a white background with a random green circle? Thanks!!

15. Sue August 27, 2009 at 11:07 am #

this is gorgeous Allison, love your fabric choices

16. Jilly's Space August 27, 2009 at 11:27 am #

Just gorgeous!!

17. sweeter than cupcakes August 27, 2009 at 12:14 pm #

Fantastic combination.

18. I Love Baby Quilts! August 27, 2009 at 12:33 pm #

I love Malka Dubrowsky's stuff! She lives in my same town too, though i've never met her. Your quilt is the EXACT mix of fabrics I would pick for my own quilt. Except I probably wouldn't have had the stripe in there because I wouldn't have thought of it. It's a really good mix, with the white house print giving the eye a place to rest. Very artistic, good job!

Love that Amy Butler yellow/green floral and the green/pink martini olives. Also love the mingle dots and the Butler green on green weird flowers. I'm always drawn back to that print, but usually not in such an interesting colorway (just the pink/white).

19. I Love Baby Quilts! August 27, 2009 at 12:34 pm #

Oh, and I also meant to say that i've met more cranky quilt store ladies in my day than not. I always thought it was because I was 30 years younger and didn't automatically get respect, but maybe its the donut thing!

20. Rory August 27, 2009 at 2:40 pm #

I love your quilt…I did one similar for the Old Red Barn quiltalong. Doesn't it make you happy to look at?

I admire your mix of fabrics..I always get paranoid when mixing different lines and colors and patterns. I guess I need to just go for it!!

PS I get my fabric online…no cranky quilt store ladies for me.

21. whitey August 27, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

Been to a few stores like that, they can not even smile what is up with that how can you not smile when looking at all the fabric?

22. Di~ August 27, 2009 at 3:16 pm #

Lovely lovely quilt! I've seen several rail fence quilts of late. I too am interested in the pillow pattern. Is Stitch Magazine an Aussie publication?

23. Leslie August 27, 2009 at 3:47 pm #

fence rail is always so beautiful even though it is so simple..this looks great and the colors are so pretty

24. Sam August 27, 2009 at 4:36 pm #

How can you be cranky when you work at a fabric shop!? We have one shop that has a few cranky ladies too. I go there the least since I have 4 shops in my general area.

25. Sam August 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

Oh forgot. Love the quilt. The simpliest designs are often the prettiest.

26. cathleen August 27, 2009 at 5:30 pm #

Your quilt is so pretty in all its pinkness. Really, your fabric choices are perfect.

27. Marianne Penner Design August 27, 2009 at 5:44 pm #

Your quilt is gorgeous. I love the mix of fabrics.

28. Jaime August 27, 2009 at 6:16 pm #

So pretty, I love it. And we have some cranky fabric ladies around here too…what is up with that? Surrounded by lovely fabric should make you happy, right?

29. Pink Stitches August 27, 2009 at 9:08 pm #

Beautiful quilt, fabric and colours. I think I need to give quilting a go!?

30. Nancy August 28, 2009 at 1:01 am #

Beautiful quilt! Love those fabrics!

31. Andi August 28, 2009 at 1:19 am #

Super gorgeous!!

32. Libby August 28, 2009 at 12:48 pm #

Lovely Quilt! One more pillow question…did you put in a zipper? I'm making one for my daughters dorm bed,,,I only bought the magazine after I saw your pillow! Thanks, Libby

33. ivyarts August 29, 2009 at 1:24 am #

I love those houses. You did a great job pulling together all the other fabrics and colors. Lovely.

34. dearmrsreese August 29, 2009 at 2:49 am #

How can you be cranky if you work at a fabric store?

35. dearmrsreese August 29, 2009 at 2:49 am #

How can you be cranky if you work at a fabric store?

36. Tallymou August 29, 2009 at 4:41 am #

Wow, I know what you mean. I went all the way to Poulsbo to check out the fabric shop there when I was on vacation, and talk about cranky! Sheesh.

37. AdronsCatherine August 29, 2009 at 11:30 pm #

Wow – gorgeous!

I had an experience with my local quilt shop yesterday. I went in there to buy a Bernina sewing/embroidery machine, the software to go with it, and the serger with coverstitch. They told me to come back on Tuesday or Wednesday when the owner gets back in town!?!?!?!

Sadly, there really aren't any local shops that have a great selection of fabulous prints – yet! I talked to the owner's daughter of the other quilt store today and she said that she's going to be ordering some fresh, young stuff!!!! WOOHOO!!!

38. Erin August 31, 2009 at 3:21 pm #

My sister just found out she is having a little girl, after having 3 boys. When I saw this quilt I knew that was the pattern I would use for the Baby's quilt. If you pop over to my blog, you can see the fabrics I picked out for it.

I really enjoy reading your blog!

Erin

39. amandajean September 1, 2009 at 3:59 pm #

that rail fence quilt is amazing! i LOVE IT!!! and cranky quilt shop ladies are the WORST! why? why does that happen so often? quilt shops should be the happiest places on earth. :)

40. littlecumulus September 4, 2009 at 8:45 pm #

Ooh I love it! I will have to do this one soon. :)