Double Hourglass Blocks the EASY way!

First off…things always look better in my head than they do typed up, so please try one block and see how it works for you before cutting up all your fabric. Also, if your a perfectionist this method might not be for you, some of your points and seams won’t perfectly match up…but it will take you about 1/4 of the time of other methods. Enjoy and let me know if this works for you!
(click on pictures if you have a hard time reading the script)

IMG_0881_thumb[1] IMG_0883_thumb[1] IMG_0886_thumb[1] IMG_0887_thumb[1]

• Jodi has pre-made triangle templates that work for this pattern in her etsy shop here. It may save you from cutting fingers when your cutting out all those triangles! :)
  • To figure out how to make different block sizes: Figure out the finished block size you want, say…5″ so you add an inch to that and cut your template 6″ square. Now you’ll have to figure out how big to make your strips. So divide 6 in half ( the size of your template) …so you want your finished double strip after its sewn to be 3″. Now the tricky part is figuring out how big to make your strips including the seam, my seams are usually .5″ ( 1/4″ + 1/4″) so add that to 3″ (how big your finished strip should be) Which leaves you with 3.5″ which you divide in half and that’s how big to make your strips….. 1.75″ wide. That sounds right in my head but beats me if it will really work! Try one first just in case I’m totally wrong!
  • If you want to make this with a Jelly Roll, you would cut your template 9″ square and it would leave you with a 8″ block. But again….I haven’t actually tried it so make sure you try it before cutting up all your fabric! Or else I would feel really bad. :)

96 Responses to Double Hourglass Blocks the EASY way!

1. Chris September 15, 2009 at 10:35 pm #

Oh my GOODNESS! How easy and looks so hard!! Thanks for taking the time to share your "smarts"!! Love the quilt too! :)

2. Rory September 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm #

On my to do list….near the TOP!! Thhanks for this!!!

3. Michaela September 15, 2009 at 11:25 pm #

SHUT. UP. Why didn't I think of this??? ; )

This is the best tutorial ever!!! I love it, thank you thank you!

4. Laurel September 15, 2009 at 11:29 pm #

That is a great tutorial! Makes me want to try it SOON. :) Thanks so much for sharing!

5. Blue Is Bleu September 15, 2009 at 11:30 pm #

Good grief! Your way's SO much easier!!! Bravo! I'm going to have to try this very very soon :)

6. Kandra September 15, 2009 at 11:36 pm #

Great idea! Now to figure out all that math for 12.5 in blocks!!!

7. Trisha September 15, 2009 at 11:37 pm #

Cute quilt! Nice and easy way to make these blocks. Looks like fun!

8. ~Michelle~ September 15, 2009 at 11:40 pm #

*slaps head* duh, this is so super easy! thanks girlie :)

9. ~Michelle~ September 15, 2009 at 11:41 pm #

oh, and I sense a bunch of double hourglass quilts making waves in blogland in the upcoming weeks 😉

10. Natalia September 15, 2009 at 11:43 pm #

Very cute!!

11. Mary September 15, 2009 at 11:50 pm #

This would be great as a jelly roll pattern!!

12. Petit Debutant September 16, 2009 at 12:03 am #

*standing ovation* totally aweesome tute! thanks for sharing!

13. angela September 16, 2009 at 12:06 am #

Thanks so much for sharing! I love that block, but hate all that extra piecing. I will be making some of these for sure!

14. patsy September 16, 2009 at 12:27 am #

I am totally trying this!!

thanks so much for sharing-
    I love it :)

15. ktquilts September 16, 2009 at 12:30 am #

Yay! Sounds like fun. I will be doing one of these…as soon as I finish some UFOs!!!LOL!!!

Blessings,

KT

16. Stacey September 16, 2009 at 1:10 am #

Wow, That tutorial is fantastic. Such great pictures too. Now I need to make a quilt like that too. I guess I will add it to my "Bucket List"

Stacey
    Driving Miss Stacey

Sew Far Sew Good Quilt Shop

17. Jamie September 16, 2009 at 1:17 am #

I can't believe how simple you made this! This one will definitely be the next to try.

18. Aimee September 16, 2009 at 1:34 am #

You are a genius! Thanks for sharing. I have wanted to do one but was afraid of the other methods. Thanks!!

19. Heidi September 16, 2009 at 2:01 am #

WOW!! I can't wait to make this quilt!! Thank you so much for the tutorial.

20. Michele September 16, 2009 at 2:44 am #

Can I say brilliant? I guess so!

21. Jackie September 16, 2009 at 2:52 am #

Great quilt and tutorial! You made it make sense. Thanks!

22. Giddy for Paisley September 16, 2009 at 2:55 am #

Wow! That seems way to easy, I guess I will have to try it now :)

23. Karen September 16, 2009 at 3:11 am #

Gorgeous quilt and great pattern! Can't wait to try it!

24. soggybottomflats September 16, 2009 at 3:23 am #

Allison, you are a Goddess…and my hero! Thank you for making my day…week, fine, the whole month! Have a merry month, Elaine

25. amy smart September 16, 2009 at 4:41 am #

Very, very nice. Bravo.

26. scrapworking September 16, 2009 at 4:47 am #

Fabulous! And I love the colors you used. THANK YOU!!

27. larry7pokey September 16, 2009 at 4:51 am #

Thank you for the tut, and I love your work! always makes me want to try a new quilt. Hey, and I 'square-up' every project I do, always happier with the finished project!

28. Isa September 16, 2009 at 4:58 am #

Great tutorial.
    Thank you!!

29. essie September 16, 2009 at 6:21 am #

this is a really useful and clear tutorial. i am bookmarking it – thank you! :)

30. Suze September 16, 2009 at 7:51 am #

Great tutorial! It's easier than it looks.

31. Kristi September 16, 2009 at 10:36 am #

Now I've got a project for the fabric I've been saving to make a quilt for my daughter. I love it–thanks!

32. Zarina September 16, 2009 at 10:49 am #

Thank you so much. One of the thousands of patterns planning to do but no idea (well not exactly googled it) how is the construction.

33. Andi September 16, 2009 at 10:49 am #

What a great tutorial and a gorgeous quilt.
    Thanks!
    :-)

34. The Calico Cat September 16, 2009 at 11:04 am #

Out of curiosity only, how do you do this the hard way? (This is the only method I had heard of.) BTW I own an acrilic (sp?) template/ruler that works the way your card stock template works… I use it for setting triangles when I make on-point quilts.

35. True Blue Nana September 16, 2009 at 11:06 am #

What a fabulous tutorial. I could not go to sleep last night without trying it and it works perfectly!! Thanks so much

36. Sara September 16, 2009 at 11:48 am #

Thank you so much for posting this! I am so going to try this!

37. Quilts on Bastings September 16, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial – it is a lovely quilt.

38. Leslie September 16, 2009 at 2:05 pm #

this is great!! thanks for working so hard on this. i want to give it a try right now….except there are a thousand other things to do, so maybe a little later.

39. Emily September 16, 2009 at 2:12 pm #

Oy my goodness! (*slap on the forehead!*) How easy, Thanks for figuring this out and sharing.

40. el chinijo del patchwork September 16, 2009 at 2:23 pm #

Thanks a lot for this great and easy tutorial. Best regards from Canary Islands (Spain)

41. Jo September 16, 2009 at 2:31 pm #

This is fabulous, gave it a go tonight and I just love them. Thanks so much!

42. sally September 16, 2009 at 3:49 pm #

Thanks a ton for the tutorial. I think I may actually have the guts to give it a try.

43. Heather September 16, 2009 at 4:16 pm #

This is a great tutorial! Thanks for doing it up for us. I'm actually glad that your seams don't match and your blocks aren't perfect. Mine never are and i sometimes feel like I'm the only one. Everyone else's quilts always look perfect. It's nice to know I'm not the only imperfect one. :)

44. Ariel September 16, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

Woot woot!!! Thanks for an awesome tutorial!!! I'm SO glad there's an easier road. LOVE it!

45. Firefly September 16, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

Oh I want to try this out now. It looked so complicated all put together, but with your tut, it looks like something I can manage :) Thanks!

46. Anonymous September 16, 2009 at 6:41 pm #

Wow, you did make this look easy. I had to laugh after reading your tutorial because I remembered that you thought of this while in the shower. That was some shower! Thanks for very clear directions.

47. Lise September 16, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

Great tutorial. I'm brand new to quilting, and it makes perfect sense. I can't wait to try it!

48. Lara September 17, 2009 at 3:18 am #

Thanks a MILLION dude! Now while i still have wanda's BSR i'll have to make one!!! Miss you, no one will go with me to the Country Living Fair…I just might go by myself.

49. Sandra September 17, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

Thank you for sharing and my to do wish list is growing and growing….;)

50. Melissa September 18, 2009 at 12:34 am #

Alright! Thanks for sharing – great pattern. One of these days I'll get to quilting again…

51. Mikol September 18, 2009 at 7:51 am #

So cute, I love the colors you used in your quilt. Thanks much for the how to.

52. Anonymous September 18, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

Oh this is great! Thank you!! I'm going to make this at quilt retreat. And it's nice to see that your points don't always match. Makes me feel better. Your quilt is awesome.

Amy

53. bernie September 18, 2009 at 7:28 pm #

THank you thank you!! This is a great tutorial! You're so awesome to share it!

54. mindingmomma September 20, 2009 at 2:03 am #

thank you for making this so simple to follow, i love it and hope to make one, someday!

55. Alicia September 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial!

56. amandajean September 21, 2009 at 12:45 am #

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

i am so going to try this…the quilt is adorable!

57. twin fibers September 21, 2009 at 6:48 pm #

Love it! Thank you, I'll have to try it soon!

58. tasha September 21, 2009 at 8:41 pm #

i hope i can give it a try someday…the tutorial was really easy to follow! darling quilt!

59. Jeanne September 22, 2009 at 12:23 am #

Thank you for sharing this tutorial! I will definitely give it a try soon.
    Your quilt is wonderful.

60. I Love Baby Quilts! September 22, 2009 at 7:43 pm #

Makes me want to buy a machine! I could never do it, i'd cut off all my knots and be there forever. Drat!

61. edeenut September 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm #

What an easy block! I had to do this right away after seeing your how to post. I just blogged about it on my blog. Thanks for the tutorial!

62. Happy Find September 24, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

WoW! I love your tutorial! Thank you for sharing!!!

63. Ariane September 25, 2009 at 12:54 am #

I love this tutorial. So great!!! Thanks for sharing.

64. Maricou September 25, 2009 at 8:53 am #

I am very please to let you know that you've been awarded the Kreativ Blogger Award on my blog

Marie-Noëlle

65. jette September 25, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

I did know this method. Just didn't have the arithmatic (is that a word??) skills to figure out how to do it! So thank you for showing me – and others! :-)I'm going to try it as well!

Jette/Denmark

66. Ariel September 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm #

Okay! This tutorial gets an A++++! I tried it last night and it's just as you said…MUCH easier than the first method of double hourglass I had in my head! Thanks, Allison!

67. beccy October 29, 2009 at 8:11 pm #

Thankyou so much for this! I've been looking for a cheer-me-up project that wasn't too taxing for my exhausted brain but would keep me busy. This is perfect – it's easy, looks great and is speedy enough for quick-ish results but will still keep my hands busy.

68. Sarah Star November 7, 2009 at 1:38 pm #

I just tried this with 2.5" strips–I cut the template from a 9" square, got 8 block quarters from a strip set, and when my blocks were sewn together, they ranged from 7.75-8", so I just trimmed them down to 7.5".
    I've been looking for a pattern for my Hello Betty Retro jelly roll, and this is officially it! Thanks!

69. kelly jeanie November 12, 2009 at 8:35 pm #

This is perfect!! I was looking for something to do for my daughter's toddler quilt. I can't wait to get started on this.

70. Goddess in Progress November 29, 2009 at 1:39 am #

Just thought you should know I just made this tutorial and it was GREAT! Came together easily. I did 2" strips, so the template was a 7" square. Blocks were about 6 1/4", so I trimmed them to 6" (unfinished). Love it!

Liz @ teeny tiny quilts

71. Nicole December 16, 2009 at 3:05 pm #

Allison I loved making this quilt!! I just finished it and thought you might want to see a picture of my finished product.

Thank you again so much!!

72. Anja January 28, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

It works fantastic!
    I just tried it out on one block and everything fits just right!
    Thanks for the brillant tutorial!
    I love your quilts!

73. Coyote Quilts February 9, 2010 at 2:57 am #

Great way to make this block, but I would substitute Kaye Wood's Starmaker 8 ruler for the templates which would make it even easier….

74. Anja February 17, 2010 at 11:20 am #

I did it!
    Thanks for the fabulous tutorial!
    You can see the result on my blog!

Anja

75. mandylifeboats March 2, 2010 at 12:27 am #

when i first saw the quilt; i thought oh no, i hate half square triangles, but hey there are none to make; it's perfect, i love it, i can't wait to get started. thank u for the great tutorail.

76. RaeLyn May 1, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

Thank you for this AWESOME tutorial! It was a cinch, thanks to your fabulous instructions, measurements, ideas, etc. Here's a link to the finished product. (http://byesboos.blogspot.com/2010/04/double-hourglass-quilt.html) Thanks again!

77. savvy stitch November 10, 2010 at 7:16 am #

You make this look really easy–thanks! This looks like a great project for a jelly roll!

78. lss922 December 10, 2010 at 1:11 am #

I never get tired looking at this quilt. So simple to do and wonderful to look at. Choice of colors are great!

79. Jude January 30, 2011 at 1:50 am #

Great Quilt! Thanks for the great instructions.

80. Debbie February 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

I'm working on this one right now with Pure :) Thanks so much for the tutorial. I'm going to use it as a raffle for a fund raider for Big Brothers and Big Sisters!!!

81. Kate G April 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

Awesome! Just finished mine and it looks so great! Thanks for putting this together. If you want you can see mine at http://katerannie.blogspot.com/2011/04/blue-green-and-yellow-double-hour-glass.html

82. Roslyn July 15, 2011 at 4:35 am #

Neat trick!

83. Sis-O November 7, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Love! Thank you. Always so much to do so little time. Love every opportunity to cut corners and have a beautiful result.

84. Darlene November 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Finally making this beauty! I am going for a twin size !! Your tutorial is the best, thank you.

85. Esther January 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

I have a question: if you used two colors — say, white and orange — and you followed these instructions, but assembled the triangles into two types of squares: one with the four triangles making a white square on the inside and another with the four triangles making a white border…(do you follow me?) I think you'd end up with a pattern looking like the orange quilt (which I LOVE and I don't even like orange that much). Would this be easier than the way you assembled the orange quilt?

I don't know why this question preys on my mind so much. Thanks!

86. Deanna January 23, 2012 at 12:07 am #

I just started this quilt because I found a 5.00 jelly roll at tuesday morning. I did not use a common fabric as you did in your tutorial. I am afraid it will look WAYYY too busy when I start putting the blocks together. Would it look too weird if I sewed a sashing border to the blocks? any feedback would be fantastic.

87. Terri February 7, 2012 at 12:24 am #

I mentioned your blog and this tutorial in my post about the block that I made using Double Hourglass. Your tutorials are easy to follow! Thank you.

88. Schulz Family May 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Hi. I made this quilt and added a tutorial on my blog – linking to your site regarding how to do the ironing for this project. I found the ironing made all the difference in the world. You can see it on http://www.madewithmytwohands.blogspot.com

89. Cathy November 12, 2012 at 11:22 am #

I love your tutorials. This quilt is so fresh and sunny. Missouri Star Quilt Co has another method to make something similar. I always like learning quick tricks.
    BTW the word inseam only refers to the inner seam on a pair of pants, usually interchangeable with someone's inner leg measurement or crotch to ankle. It isn't used interchangeably with a regular old seam. Thought you might like to know. It kinda throws some funny imagery into your quilt tutorial!

90. Dorine December 24, 2012 at 5:26 am #

I love the simplicity of your tutorieals!! Excellent job! Thank you!

91. Tanya January 6, 2013 at 7:33 am #

I had to make these for a block swap recently. I just loved the simple but very attractive quilt they made. I shared it with my Bitch & Stitch Group….They all loved it to. We will all be starting one at our first get together for 2013. Thanks for the great tut.
    Cheers Tanya

92. Kinga Izabella January 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Thank you so much for the great tutorial! I´ve made two blankets, and i´ll make more! I love this pattern, and this way to sew it! :)
    Have a nice day!

93. Tspoon January 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

Found this by accident as I was looking for that something I needed for a quilt I am planning this morning. This is it!! Thank you.

94. Heather's Haven February 3, 2014 at 7:54 pm #

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this tutorial. I'm a visual learner and really appreciate this.

Heather

95. Primitive Friends November 19, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

The Etsy shop has closed that you have listed at the top, for the templates. I wonder if she's selling them some place else? Would love to try this pattern for a baby quilt, but making templates from card stock, they tend to keep getting smaller as I use them!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Funday: Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns & Tutorials - September 4, 2015

[…] “Double Hourglass Blocks the EASY Way!” Free Quilt Pattern & Tutorial designed by Al… […]