The thought occurred to me a few nights ago that next year I will have 2 kids.  Which means that I have to sew as much as possible this year since next year I will be twice as busy.   At least that’s the conclusion I came to at 3:30 in the morning when my son climbed in bed with us and I couldn’t fall back asleep.  Thus….the Halloween quilt.  IMG_1129 Orange and black stripes, meant to be good and wonky like Denyse Schmidt’s Hop, Skip & Jump Quilt.  Wonky is hard for me, it took some playing to figure out how to make wonky strips that still ironed flat, but once that was figured out it went together really quickly.  I like the wonkiness now that its all together, it makes it very Halloween-ish.  IMG_1130 Now it’s time for my favorite fall snack….I’m not going to tell you how much of this I’ve had, but I will tell you I’ve had more apples to eat in the past week than I’ve had in the past year.  Its worth every calorie. IMG_1101

37 Responses to Spooky

1. 2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel October 16, 2009 at 1:31 am #

I love carmel dip! Love it so much I just had to give it up…. the low calorie one is not good…

right now I am addicted to pears.. third flat in a month… so sweet!

Quilt is great.. In workshop Denyse overlapped the pieces face up and cut gentle arch thru both edges at same time and then sewed it up and it was flat…

2. beanie g October 16, 2009 at 1:51 am #

New to your blog and I LOVE it! I was just thinking about Halloween quilts and how to do one that's not too weird or panel-y. Nice thinking. And, I have three kids for whom I used to make their costumes but today I opted to take them to the halloween store and do purchased costumes — which I hate, but I couldn't bear the thought of giving up sewing time (how mean is that?). Thanks for sharing!

3. paulette October 16, 2009 at 1:52 am #

I have never had that…but must confess I make my own carmel sauce for dipping apple chunks….brown sugar, milk, butter- Stir and microwave until bubbly…..and dip! and dip! and dip! YUM! Think I'll go and slice up an apple…where's the brown sugar?
    :o) Paulette

4. paulette October 16, 2009 at 1:52 am #

PS Love the Halloween quilt!!

5. CJ October 16, 2009 at 1:55 am #

CUTE quilt. Not sure I could do wonky though…straight and narrow for me. 😉 Did you know that dip comes in LIGHT or FF or some such thing?? Might help a bit. I live in the town where the dip is made! WOOT!

6. Alisa October 16, 2009 at 2:21 am #

I like the quilt. Yes, wonky is hard for me too.

You will NOT be twice as busy with two children and you will still have time to sew and quilt. Maybe at first it will be very busy but babies do sleep alot. I have 5 children (8,6,5,2,0) and still find bits of time to sew and quilt.

7. Heather October 16, 2009 at 2:26 am #

Love the wonky Halloween quilt and now you've done it!!! I am going to have to pick up some caramel dip for my apples – so good!

8. Julie October 16, 2009 at 2:35 am #

I am loving your quilt.
    I have been wanting to make the hop skip and jump quilt but seems too intimidating. maybe I should just "wing it".
    thanks for the inspiration.

9. Lisa October 16, 2009 at 2:43 am #

At first I was going to empathize with you that yes, you will be doubly blessed and you will be twice as busy, (I have two ages 5 & 3) 'cuz I find it very hard to get stitching time in even in the evenings. Then I saw Alisa's encouraging comment and I want to know what her secret is! :-)

10. Terriaw October 16, 2009 at 2:52 am #

Love your wonky quilt for Halloween! The design with the strips are simple but work great with those colors and for the season. Nice job!

11. Blue is Bleu October 16, 2009 at 2:54 am #

Love the quilt! I have big problems with wonk too… it's a very big effort for me lol I'm so thankful I don't fancy caramel… I like enough sweets as it is!

12. PDOTTreats October 16, 2009 at 3:06 am #

Amazed at how much quilting you get done! We love homemade caramel dip. Try it with pineapple. I know it sounds unusual but it is delicious.

13. Care October 16, 2009 at 3:07 am #

A fabulous quilt!

When I was pregnant with #3 I had similar panic, and started obsessing about sewing anything and everything I could. I admit, I went kinda nuts. BUT — it helped me to re-realize (is that a word?) that sewing is the KEY to my sanity! #3 is 6 months old now, and I am still snitching a few minutes here and there to sew. I literally get SUPER CRABBY when I haven't sewn in a day or two! It's my lifeline!

You will still sew! You must still sew!

14. amy smart October 16, 2009 at 3:34 am #

I love it! I have wanted to make a fall quilt inspired by that Denyse Schmidt quilt too. Yours is awesome. I love the black and orange. Thanks for the further inspiration.

Don't worry, it's still possible to sew with two kids. I put away all my sewing right before I had my second. But within days of her birth I had to pull out fabric and my machine and sew for my sanity's sake. :)

15. lorimu October 16, 2009 at 5:08 am #

I love the quilt! What line/designer is the black with white dots from? I have a piece of it in green but can't figure out where to look for more.

16. upstateLisa October 16, 2009 at 8:36 am #

Love your new quilt! Just after I started cutting out a bed size quilt for my my second child, I discovered that I was pregnant with my third. It took a couple of years to get the quilt done but he still has it!

17. BaileyGirl5 October 16, 2009 at 10:43 am #

I love this quilt but I'm kinda confused. You didn't get out of bed and 3:30 a.m. and make the whole quilt top did you??? Don't worry I have three boys and I made more stuff when they were little than I do now.

18. why not sew? October 16, 2009 at 12:54 pm #

I love the quilt! Wonky is hard for me too, but I do enjoy it every once in a while. Your snack looks good! I could eat tons of that stuff. That's why I don't buy it too often:)

19. leigh October 16, 2009 at 1:47 pm #

i love that! i've been trying to think up a halloween quilt for a while now and that one is the best one i've seen!

20. Leslie October 16, 2009 at 1:48 pm #

apples and caramel sound so good!!!! your quilt is fantastic!! i love the wonkiness….so fun

21. everydaychaos October 16, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

The quilt is beautiful! I'm going to add it (or something similar) to my list of things to sew!

I have four kids ages 4, 3, 2, and 5 months. Don't worry, you'll have time to sew! You just might not have time to vacuum. Or dust. Or do laundry (unless it's fabric). Or shower. 😉

Just kidding. You'll get it all done. Just remember to prioritize. And that your sanity comes first. Two kids isn't really twice the work, especially once they both kind of have a schedule. Congrats on your pregnancy. Babies are so, so wonderful!

22. Amy Sp October 16, 2009 at 3:44 pm #

This quilt is fabulous. I mean it, I am in love with this quilt. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

23. MonsterBug Blankets October 16, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

Oh how I LOVE the quilt–the colors are gorgeous!

And um, hate to say it, but you won't be twice as busy next yr with 2 kids–more like 4 times as busy. The busyness doesn't multiply–it grows exponentially! But so do the kisses! :) Makes it well worth it!

24. Katrine October 16, 2009 at 4:54 pm #

That is a very cute quilt! I am currently working on a Halloween quilt that I don't think will EVER be finished!

25. Tiffany October 16, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

Great with the wonky! Perfect for a Halloween quilt :) I have yet to venture into the wonky world…maybe soon.

26. izzy inspired October 16, 2009 at 5:37 pm #

I love apples and caramel, it is one of the highlights of fall…along with the apple caramel cider at Starbucks!! I love your quilt top….it really does capture the spirit of this time of year.

27. Purple Quilter Queen October 16, 2009 at 7:04 pm #

Early mornings suit you! Love the striped quilt! Jenn

28. Beth October 16, 2009 at 8:19 pm #

oh, i love that stripey quilt! so gorgeous in all its wonky-ness. I just picked up a 5lb bag of organic honey crisp, i think I need some caramel dip now :)

29. Anne D October 16, 2009 at 11:16 pm #

Great Quilt. Thanks for all your ideas. I made a mini quilt with some scraps thanks to your colourful coins baby quilt.

30. Michelle October 17, 2009 at 3:16 am #

Oh-I love this! Great idea!

31. Heather October 17, 2009 at 1:18 pm #

Very fun–and congratulations on the new one arriving next year. I visit you often and had no idea you were in Seattle. I'm in Edmonds. Love the apples–Honey Crisp are my fave.

32. amandajean October 17, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

i love your quilt! i've admired that quilt in many color ways but still haven't made one like it yet. i think it's still on the list. you did great with the wonk. :)

33. Rita October 17, 2009 at 9:20 pm #

You do great work~and you will find the time to sew. Maybe not as much as now, but that will change too when the little ones get a little bigger.

I make apple dip with a package of cream cheese whirred in the food processor with 3/4 cup brown sugar. It is soooo tasty!

34. Christina October 18, 2009 at 2:18 am #

So cute! I can't wait to see it quilted!

35. Heather October 18, 2009 at 6:20 pm #

Love the caramel apple dip…and the quilt too. :)

36. ktquilts October 19, 2009 at 11:35 am #

We love the carmel here too, but it can get expensive. We put a can of sweetened condensed milk in the crock pot and cover it with water. If you let it cook over night, and cool until lunch, you can have warm carmel for you apples, cheap. Use fat free and you can pretend you are eating something healthy!!!LOL!!!
    Here is a link to where I found the idea.

37. V and Co. October 20, 2009 at 1:55 am #

hey i've got 4 and still sewing. but then again everything is half way done these days it seems! :)