Baby Car Seat Cover Tutorial

I wasn’t sure I’d actually use one of these car seat covers…but you know what?  I LOVE having this!  It’s perfect for a newborn that wants to stay asleep and keeps them out of the wind.  You might have to fudge with the measurements to fit your own carseat because mine is really big…but it’s pretty simple to make!

I made quick instructions for how I made it….and I mean quick instructions since it was night time and I was tired and I totally forgot to take pictures of the most important part where you sew the straps on…so you’ll have to play with it a bit but it’s pretty simple to do.
You’ll need:  1 yard outer fabric, 1 yard lining fabric, 12 inches of velcro, and a 6 in. by 36 in. strip of fabric for the handles.

Trim the selveges off your outer and lining fabrics and lay them right sides together, trimming off any excess so they are the same size.  My fabric pieces were about 35 in. by 42 in. after trimming.  You can adjust this if your car seat is smaller, since mine is a jumbo monster Graco car seat.  Pin the fabrics together.
Using a bowl, trace around the edges and trim off the excess, now you’ll have nice round corners and it helps the corners of the cover to stay off the ground while your packing it around.

Sew around the whole thing with a 1/2 in. seam allowance (or so) leaving a hole on one side for turning.  Clip your curves, turn inside out, and press along edges.  Topstitch around the whole thing making sure you close the hole with your stitches.
When your done, lay it over your car seat and figure out where you want the handles.  I made it so the edges hang over a couple of inches in the front and the back.   I put my pins about 10 inches apart, if you put them too close together your cover will hang like a teepee and that would be kind of annoying. :)

Now the instructions are in the pictures….hopefully you can read them.

You can kind of see how I sewed them on here:

Now stick a baby in it and hopefully they’ll stay nice and cozy (and asleep)!!!

91 Responses to Baby Car Seat Cover Tutorial

1. laurenaphelps April 27, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

I'm cracking up! Great story! (and a cute project)

2. beth April 27, 2010 at 9:40 pm #

3. sharla@mylittlegems April 27, 2010 at 9:43 pm #

you are too funny.
    I made one of these last year and it has really come in handy. I attach it to the stroller straps, and use it as a lightweight blanket too :)

4. CBear April 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm #

I so wish I had one of those when mine were babies… the people always trying to touch them… ick.

Great idea!

5. felicity April 27, 2010 at 9:51 pm #

So sweet!

Unsolicited advice: When he starts getting heavy and making that bucket a pain in the keester to carry around, I highly, HIGHLY recommend babywearing. A ring sling, a wrap or a soft structured carrier like an Ergo will save your arms and shoulders, and it'll keep baby niiiiice and close to you. And away from germy hands (ew).

6. Leslie April 27, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

this is brilliant…i can not stand it when people would try to touch my baby. one time this lady let her dirty sticky kid touch my daughters head and then she was all covered with yuck. i can not stand that.

7. Kate April 27, 2010 at 10:06 pm #

Oh so true … why does everyone want to touch your baby! Thanks for the quick how to. SIL is having a shower in a couple weeks and this will be the perfect companion gift to a stack of burp cloths! You're awesome.

8. Misty-Ann April 27, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

Thank you!!! I've been looking for a car seat cover "pattern" for a while and most of them cost a fortune or I just dont like

Sorry you got no sleep! That's no fun!

Thanks again!!!

9. Mama Megs April 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm #

You crack me up! I HATE when people I don't know feel it's ok to touch and carress my sweet child-I would NEVER do that to someone else! Crazies work at Walmart I tell ya-crazies!

10. Blue Is Bleu April 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

I love it!!! I'd be very irritated if someone tried to touch my baby too… I hate people who do that or touch pregnant bellies without asking or if they don't even know the person. So gross.

11. Jamie Lee April 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm #

My 19 month old loved the photo of your son…she reads your blog, too:)

12. izzy inspired April 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm #

what a great idea…i always used a receiving blanket (becuz I agree completely that strangers had no need to touch my baby) to cover up my babies. this is much cuter than a blanket draped over though!! Now if only I could figure out a way to stop strangers from trying to touch my toddler without sounding rude!!

13. wishes, true and kind April 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm #

Good for you! It's even creepier when they want to hold the baby! Yeah — that's not happening! Cute cover :)

14. Crystal Hendrix April 27, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

Awesome cover!! I have wanted to make one. My mom made some for me but never taught me how! 😀 She also made some with flannel for the winter months, it worked wonderfuly!

Thanks for the instructions!

15. a little bit biased April 27, 2010 at 11:48 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial and the fabric you used is so fun – perfect for a boy. And, that little guy you stuck in at the end is adorable!

16. Sarah April 28, 2010 at 12:21 am #

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm bookmarking it for shower gifts or, maybe someday if I have another summer baby :) Now go get some sleep!

17. Miss Sews-it-all April 28, 2010 at 1:22 am #

GREAT idea, and it looks fabulous! It is amazing how some people act around babies – I had a total stranger try to pick up my 15 month old at a bowling alley. What the heck was she thinking???

18. Jenny April 28, 2010 at 2:37 am #

I'm loving it… the story, the car seat cover, the fabric. Thanks for the info!

19. randi---i have to say April 28, 2010 at 3:31 am #

so cute! and that car seat cover is adorable too! :)

20. Jen April 28, 2010 at 3:55 am #

I agree with Felicity's comment above….I don't shop anymore without putting my 4 month old in my moby wrap. I was recently at the grocery store before I got my wrap and some old guy walked by and grabbed her hands….before I could do anything about it. Makes me so MAD!!!

21. Meg April 28, 2010 at 4:37 am #

This made me laugh! Just walking into Walmart gives me the shivers sometimes, and I always make sure everyone uses hand sanitizer when we get back in the car. Your baby is getting so big!

I just made one myself a little while ago. I was thinking about protection from the sun, but glad to know it has other uses. ;0)

22. Jantine April 28, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Love the cover, never saw them when my babies were little ;-). Love the baby too by the way!

23. Amy April 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

Thanks for the "crappy" tutorial! I thought it was very clear.

I once had an old woman at the laundry mat start to take the blanket off my carseat because the baby "couldn't breathe." I actually had to remove her hand from the handle. *shudder* I hate touching strangers and I ESPECIALLY hate them touching me or my family.

I'm slightly germophobic.

24. Jennifer April 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

Blue – I know what you mean. When I was preggers for my twins, no one but my hubby touched the belly!

Allison – You are too funny! I am laughing as I read this. Why are their greeters?

Cute tute and I love the directions!

25. fiberdoodles April 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

It looks great! I have seen some with netting to peek in but have never made one. Too cute!

26. TheBorman5 Plus1 April 28, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

This is a fabulous simple idea!

27. Sew It To Me April 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

simple and cute. No excuse not to make one now!

28. Rinachiyya April 28, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

Too cute and love the material. You are one smart lady.

29. Katie April 28, 2010 at 6:38 pm #

Felicity, I was just going to say the same thing. No one has ever tried to touch my babies when I've been wearing them, and it's SO much easier on the arms and back (not to mention having both hands free!). I'm working on sewing up a mei-tai style carrier right now, and I'm really pleased with how it's coming along.

30. Ariel April 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

love it…this is a great alternative to those thick, hot ones that I used with my winter baby…I think this will be perfect for keeping off the sun (ahem, crazy people..) in July.

I ditto your yuck story…a stranger came up to my crying baby and stuck her finger IN HIS MOUTH to shush him…we were at church, so no, I didn't smack her…

31. Chris April 28, 2010 at 8:48 pm #

When people want to touch my daughter I say "WAIT! She just got over a bad vomiting virus and I wouldn't want you to get it :-)"

32. Cate April 28, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

We used a crocheted blanket for that purpose (we dubbed the parakeet blankey) and EVEYONE would stop us telling us we were going to suffocate our baby. Just brace yourself for that one….

He's very cute as is the cover!

33. The Clark's April 29, 2010 at 3:49 am #

haha, I know what you mean here's my terrible Wal Mart/baby experience: I have twin girls who were in the NICU for 8 weeks. When we finally got them home I found one day when I needed to get to WalMart to pick up a RX. I gathered all my courage and packed up the girls. As I was standing in line trying to fend of WalMarters my girls started getting a little fussy. No big deal I pulled out a bottle and started to feed them. As I was taking care of the baby in the front of the cart I looked up to see that the little old lady in line behind me was WHIPEING my daughters face with her wheepy-eye-tissue!!! I FREAKED! anyway good luck fending,

34. Alysa April 29, 2010 at 4:51 am #

This would be such a great gift for a new baby. Thanks for the instructions! I wish I had had one for those people who were always reaching for my baby's hands!!

35. S. Anderson April 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm #

This would be awesome with oil cloth as a rain cover too! Thanks for the great idea! I might have to try this!

36. Melody April 29, 2010 at 5:58 pm #

Wonderful idea. I always kept my little one covered. I will never understand strangers thinking it is okay to touch babies.

37. inday_adin April 29, 2010 at 9:41 pm #

I have had the same experiences before when my little boy was a little younger. People would just come up and touch your baby, and even before when I was pregnant were strangers would come up and touch your tummy like they know you. That is such a neat idea. :)

38. Sophie April 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

I am laughing so hard! This is an amazing blog, thank you so much for sharing your projects and stories with us. I love it!

39. bookjunky April 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

The real question is why you are shopping in WalMart in the first place. There's a great book you should read called "The WalMart Effect" that explains the impact of the company on our economy.

Why is it that Americans think that a bargain is always a good thing? instead of realizing that sometimes (many times) the real costs are hidden.

I like the cover, though.

40. Amanda May 7, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

It bugs me more when they touch my baby's hands or feet, because those are the things that are constantly in a baby's mouth. Yuck!
    Cute fabric, totally do-able tutorial. I have the kind of carseat cover that has elastic all the way around so that it hugs the seat. It has a hole in the top for the car seat handle and easy baby viewing and access. My baby is too inquisitive now (she is 14 months and a little ball of opinionated energy) so I will have to use it on the next baby.

41. Army Wife Quilter May 17, 2010 at 12:53 am #

I have a car seat cover. Love it, however people will lift it and look inside, with out asking. My baby is 10m and it is getting time to graduate to new car seat. Does anyone have a suggestion for keeping hands off your kid when not small enough for infant seat anymore.

42. Arlene (CO Kid) July 24, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

I have seen people sew a little window with thin plastic in them so people can see in but don't get to touch. Also, you can make them with slits in the top so the handles come out and it's totally reversible.

43. Lori August 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

just made one of these for my sister's new baby boy. very cute and very easy with your pics. thank you for sharing.

44. Alysa September 21, 2010 at 7:11 pm #

I made this for a friend and she loves it so much that my other friends are requesting them for their baby gifts. Off to make another one!

45. Clodagh a.k.a. Isra October 7, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

Great tutorial. I live on the other side of the world where people not only touch but actually will pick up the baby etc. It does freak me out so this will be a great deterrent.

46. Linz October 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm #

This is so perfect! My friend's baby shower is next week and this is a perfect easy gift to whip out super quick!! Would I attach the 2 pieces of fabric that velcro around the handle towards the middle of the cover? I don't know if the handle is in the exact cover of the car seat.

47. October 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm #

Are you selling these on Etsy? I would love one but cannot yet sew! :)

48. Belinda November 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm #

I love this tutorial! So easy to follow. I just finished making one last night and absolutely LOVE it!

49. Crystal November 30, 2010 at 5:52 am #

Thank you so much for taking the time to create this awesome tutorial. I'm expecting #4 any day and I used your tutorial to make one recently. With my previous 3 I would always try to rig up a blanket to stay in place with the hood of the car seat up, but it would move or get pulled down by the baby. This is the perfect solution!!!
    I'm sharing it on my blog today and linking back to your site.

50. Natalie January 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm #

I just made one for my boy due in Feb. Thanks for the great tutorial! Hopefully I won't have to deal with unwanted touching:)

51. Kristin March 12, 2011 at 4:26 am #

Thanks so much! I've got this on my list of projects to complete before July rolls around and baby #2 is due!

52. Dana March 17, 2011 at 5:22 am #

The yard of fabric works great for measurements just make two for my sil and brother and their new little twin boys and the measurements were perfect for their smaller chicco car seats which are smaller then graco but they are great will be making one for me when this next one is out for sure just got to figure out what it is first :)

53. Dana March 17, 2011 at 5:23 am #

sorry just made*

54. Amanda March 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Hahah.. Awesome! I am so making one! I had a walmart checker touch my baby's paci and then try to put it back in my baby girls mouth! This happened just a few weeks ago! I yelled maybe screamed at the lady! I couldn't believe it! Nasty!!!
    I had a blanket over my girl but the crazy lady rook the banket right off! This looks so easy and can't come off easily!! Thanks!!!

55. Dee March 19, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

I think this is a great idea! I was thinking about using some type of mesh material for kind of just a shade/bug/people guard. I do understand why y'all don't like just anyone touching your babies, do you realize babies didn't used to get sick as often as they do now because they were exposed to more things they had more resistance to common ailments. Just sayin'. Thanks for the idea, you've really inspired me to get to sewing!!!

56. Carol March 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

I love that fabric. Where can I get some?

57. Lawana March 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

Glad to know someone other than me is cranky when they get creative and stay up all night with amazing results (the cover not the attitude!) My "heart" son & wife had a baby in Sept and this will be a perfect gift, both useful and something no one else thought of and it can be handmade by Grandma El!!! Think I will also embroider his name and maybe a cute little pig on it!!!

58. Laura April 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

Love this idea. I just had a baby in March and made one for her. I love this when I go to the store. Super easy! Thanks for the tutorial.

59. Jocelyn April 19, 2011 at 7:09 am #

I love the "greeter deterrent" title. So appropriate!! I know all to well how Wal-mart employees can't keep their hands to themselves. I just made a car seat cover and posted pictures. I linked back to your tutorial. If you want to see the post, here's the address:
    P.S. I LOVE the fabric you used. I wish I could find it!

60. The Mustard Seed April 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

I'm going to try to make this for a gift! I can't wait to see how it turns out! Thanks for sharing this awesome project. I'm going to be your newest Follower because I can't wait to explore your blog and see all the too cute inspiration you have for me!!

Have a great week,

61. seaschell June 1, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

I made one for my baby (due in August) and posted here:
    Thanks for a great tutorial!

62. sleeplessmom June 11, 2011 at 11:55 pm #

I just made one! I love it!

63. Phoenix June 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

I bookmarked this for future use. With cold/flu season, assorted germs and viruses being passed around (and my wonderful mother in law always making sure that we had something to drape over the car seat if it was even slightly chilly out… and we were talking walking less than 12 feet from her door to the car) I can see where these REALLY come in handy. When my boys were little (2 and newborn, they're now 13 and 11!) someone touched my youngest and ended up being punched by my then 2 year old (just a tad over protective of his baby brother LOL)

64. Ginger July 7, 2011 at 5:18 am #

I love that you made a unisex cover! I was trying to figure out how I could make one before baby arrives, since we won't know the gender ahead of time. Animals! Perfect!
    And that's my exact carseat, so this will be easy!

65. Amy July 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

I made one and love it and posted pictures on my blog! Thanks for the tutorial! It's already kept a sick child at the pediatrician's office away from my baby.

66. Toby July 19, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

When my daughter, now 21 was a baby, I was constantly plagued by "do gooders" thinking they knew what was best for her .. a coughing woman with a runny nosed kid in the drs office thought it was best that her hat come off so she reached over and started untying it .. I am quite forward and mince no words and said "WTH are you doing to MY BABY?" .. she said "the child is hot!" .. I said "you take that hat off and you'll see someone HOT" .. oh how I wish I had had this cover for her! Our middle girl is expecting her third baby, a girl after two boys and this will be perfect for her .. she HATES it when people try to touch her kids! Wal Mart greeters?? Don't get me started on that one!! LOL .. your tutorial is BRILLIANT!!!

67. lc.moomin August 4, 2011 at 7:35 am #

I didn't find your pattern before I made my own very similar one. I used two very bright and busy fabrics with bugs since my granddaughter seems enamored with them. I also put handle straps on both sides so the baby could see whichever side she wanted. My daughter puts it on the carseat when baby is not it in also, but when the seat is in the car, to keep the buckles from getting burning hot.

Response to keeping people's hands off toddlers– develop your "mom look" now! I always had my hand on the stroller or shopping cart and if someone approached I would wait until they were close then swing it around so the baby was no where near the stranger and shoot them a "mom look." If anyone is then rude enough to question your actions you can choose to just ignore them or tell them that you prefer people to not touch your child, you are trying to keep her well.

68. Pursewna August 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

Just wanted to share the cover I did this morning…. thank you for an AWESOME tutorial!!!!

69. Kinzie Sue August 26, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

Linked to your tutorial over on my blog- thanks!!

70. Codi Howell August 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

I made one too and LOVE it! Thanks for the great tutorial, I didn't change anything (except for trimming it down quite a bit, my car seat isn't quite as big as yours!!) :).

71. lastdogz September 5, 2011 at 2:11 am #

I'm expecting my second child in October and I'm remembering all the curious people that try to get in the baby's face. I just bought fabric to try this today even though I've had your tutorial bookmarked for a while. Thanks for sharing it!

72. L.A.C.E. October 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Looks exactly like the plastic ones made by Safety 1st. Except this won't catch and rip on things rendering it useless. Great idea. My baby is now to old for this type of seat. Wish I saw this sooner, because for some reason I didn't think I could make my own. doh.

73. Leslie Slanisky January 11, 2012 at 1:27 am #

Love the fabric……where did you buy it?? I actually just saw it the other day as a blanket someone made and really want to buy some 😀

74. Leslie Slanisky January 11, 2012 at 1:28 am #

75. Robyn February 1, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

These are great!
    I actually recently purchased one from Carseat Canopy (that is the name of the company as well as what they call these clever, blankets that stay attached to your carseat) for $15, because I received a promo code for one. They regularly sell for $49.95!!! If I had known they were so simple, I would have just taken the project on myself.
    Something a little different that this company did was line the inside with minky, for a super-soft, very warm version of what you have made. They also use buttons for attaching the straps, which might be more handy when your little one gets older and starts yanking on things. For our first baby, I just used a receiving blanket, but the idea of having it attached to the handle is awesome; no more fly-away blankets :)
    Thanks for the tutorial!

76. Christy Sydow February 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

THANK YOU for this tutorial! I made a girly one for my baby-to-be and it turned out great! I added little clasps in all four corners to clip it down to the fabric around the edges of the carseat for windy days! THANKS AGAIN!! :)

77. Roxanne March 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

I was wondering if you could measure how far up from the bottom edge of the blanket the straps go? (distance to bottom of straps perhaps)? I would like to make this for a present for someone, but cannot measure it on their car seat.

78. K&H's Mommy March 29, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

I absolutely love this! My little sister is about to have a baby and they live in an area where they can get everywhere by public transportation to they have no car. She didn't get a carseat cover at her baby shower like she hoped, so I have been looking for an easy one that I can make for her. This is perfect!!! Thanks for sharing your skills!

79. safdar ali May 2, 2012 at 5:39 am #

thanks for sharing such a nice idea. it help in making the cover easily.

Send gifts pakistan
    Send gifts pakistan
    Send gifts pakistan

80. Jacqui May 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

It's a great shield for germs too. I am pregnant with my 7th child. Yes – it deters everyone from wanting to grab those cute little tosies. But it also is good to keep out the germs during RSV season. All those airborn germs….yuck!

81. smilingwoman September 26, 2012 at 1:20 am #

This is such a great idea! I have the fabric ready to cut and sew for my newest grand baby that is currently "in the oven". Thanks so much for the inspiration and the patterns and practical help making great stuff for family & home.

82. Nicole @ Patchwork Duck Designs October 5, 2012 at 11:53 am #

I just finished making one of these, and it turned out beautifully!

83. Heather October 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

I just made mine, for my second child. Wish I would have thought to make one for my first….can't stand when strangers touch my child! Plus it keeps the wind off of her. Thanks for the easy tutorial!

84. crazyakchick March 14, 2013 at 5:37 am #

I found this on Pinterest and just made one for my friend who's expecting a girl. We live in what feels like the rain capital of them world, so I made one side with Michael Miller's Peace Daisy PUL. It turned out great, thanks so much for tutorial!

85. Drea April 5, 2013 at 10:21 am #

Why do people always want to see/touch your baby? I love the tutorial. Thank you for sharing. The other day I was at Costco and a lady approached me and asked me to lift my blanket so that she could see my baby. I just don't understand what makes a stranger approach someone wanting to see a baby? It is a friggin baby. They are everywhere. You don'thave to see ALL of them! I told her "I'm sorry but I am actually afraid the bright lights could wake her up if I do." Lord knows a lady crazy enough to ask a stranger to see a baby is probably crazy enough to touch.

86. Mussipitz December 11, 2013 at 7:30 am #

Thanks for sharing the tutorial…

it reminds me on a story I read on a blog… the lady had twins… and they were so small, that one day when she was shopping she put them both in one car seat (just for the shopping tripp not in the car)… then she threw a blanket over the seat because with twins you have this double attraction… one twin was laying with kind of crossed legs so there were three legs showing 😉

you get the picture 😉

no one bothered to ask anything…

but the looks 😉

warmest regards from Germany

87. Blakeleigh October 21, 2015 at 10:29 am #

What specific fabrics did you use or recommend for a carseat cover? I want to stay away from stretchy materials because I am terrible at sewing those!

1. Fun DIY Baby Projects - Mother's Niche - September 4, 2015

[…] Car Seat Cover Tutorial […]

2. On The Go Quilting » Friday Finds, November 5 - November 4, 2015

[…] 5.  I think this Find would make a lovely gift for new parents, or expecting parents.  I saw a young mother come into the restaurant the other day with one on her baby carrier and it was so attractive and it kept sounds and light from bothering her newborn.  I found the tutorial at Cluck Cluck Sew HERE. […]

3. Carseat cover | handmade beginnings - November 16, 2015

[…] So I really like how this one has Velcro straps to secure it to the seat. To make my cover I used this tutorial from ‘Cluck Cluck Sew’. I accidentally made mine slightly too big, but I still like how […]