Stack n’ Whack

The past couple days I’ve been experimenting with stack n’ whack block making. This is a simple and fast fast fast way to make blocks. The blocks below finish up at 7 1/2” square but there are instructions at the bottom if you want larger blocks like in the orange quilt.
Start with two 8 1/2” squares.

Make a cut 2 1/2” in from each side.

Cut the center strip horizontally 2 1/2” in from the top and bottom.

Switch the center squares.

Sew the center strips back onto the new center square, right sides together and press out.

Sew the side strips onto the center strip right sides together and press out. Don’t worry about lining up the side strips as you’ll be trimming off those extra pieces anyways.

Trim off the top and bottom first, and the sides 1/4” or so until you have a square block that is 7 1/2” square.

If you want a larger block….lets say 8 1/2” finished, start with a 9 1/2” square and use the same cutting instructions and sizes. That will give you this same block as in the orange quilt….just easier. To make the same quilt with 72 blocks, start with 36 colored squares and 36 white squares, then stack n’ whack away to make it extra fast!

20 Responses to Stack n’ Whack

1. allsewnup July 27, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

Thanks for this. I do like quick and easy cutting. Love the "orange quilt".

2. Jen July 27, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

what a great idea! I hate cutting, so this seems easier!

3. michelle July 27, 2010 at 8:53 pm #

That looks really good!!

I am a papercrafter and I think this type of layout would look good on a scrapbook page as well!

Funny how every type of craft inter-links:)
    Michelle x

4. Kate July 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

Smart. :)

5. Erin July 27, 2010 at 10:30 pm #

Oh my am I glad! I thought you were referring to the oh-so-popular "stack N whack" quilts of the mid 1990s, that were as ugly as all get out (IMHO). Your interpretation is MUCH better. =)

6. PioneerValleyGirl July 28, 2010 at 1:37 am #

Hmm, I'll have to try this, it looks like it might be quicker than regular cutting.

7. Susan July 28, 2010 at 3:36 am #

What a great tip – thank you! LOVE the orange quilt!

8. Brenda July 28, 2010 at 7:35 am #

I'm so glad to get insight into making this quilt.
    Your orange version is so lovely and ought to be aptly named: "Creamsicle". Sorry….the hot weather and ice-cream have taken over my brain.

Thanks for great tips.
    Cheers.Brenda from Oshawa

9. by Daisy July 28, 2010 at 11:24 am #

thanks a million for this tutorial. I love these blocks and i didn't know how to make them. you make it seem so easy that i'll try to do it soon.
    i share the links to my favourite tutorials in my blog, redirecting people to the blog where the tutorial was posted, so I'll add this one too.

10. Gale's Goodies July 29, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

This looks like a great use for one of my layer cake packs. Thanks for showing how you would do this!

11. Simone de Klerk July 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

How very clever!!!

12. August 3, 2010 at 12:27 am #

I love this method and the blocks look great! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

13. Jill and Cameron August 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

I just ordered fabric for a baby quilt and I want to do this one!! I'll send a pic when its done :) Thanks for the super easy tutorial!

14. adnilenaj August 15, 2010 at 6:52 am #

You have so many great ideas that I want to make them all! My favorite is the circle quilt..I call it my Happy Quilt because of the bright colors. I have made one other of bright colors too..I think it is the one in the boys room. Each time I see your new ideas I want to get busy! haha I am working on a gorgeous queen size quilt I started two years ago. I love making the tops but since I hand quilt I tend to put that part off. I adore this new quilt with the circles and squares…my next project..thanks….Ur great

15. Bonny March 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

I made a baby boy's quilt per your tutorial! It was the easiest pattern I have ever sewn:) Thank you so much – go to my blog to see it:)

16. tracy_a May 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

17. Kerri Horne August 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

thank you so much for the great tutorial over at sewwequilt!! It does look easy when you show it this way!

18. wilma October 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

Va un Gran Saludo y Agradecimiento desde Venezuela. Gracias por este Tutorial. No tenía idea como hacerlo. No tengo Blog,

19. Nancy Zarse May 31, 2013 at 10:48 am #

I used the Stack-n-Whack pattern at a Hospice quilt workshop today. The quilt top turned out great and everyone liked the effect of this simple quilt. Thank you for the great pattern. Nancy in Virginia Beach

20. melissa August 20, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Would there be any problem with just sewing a long strip together of pattern, solid, pattern, and then cutting it into the size of the one you have in the center? Seems like it would be much faster. But I'm a total novice quilter, so I don't know if there's a reason people don't do that…