The Road Trip Quilt

This is a fun, fast quilt to make and a GREAT quilt for a beginner. You only need to buy 10 different 1/8 yard strips and the cutting and sewing is easy since there are no matching seams or squaring up edges to worry about. This finished quilt measures 36″ x 40″, but to add more rows just cut one extra 1/8 yard per extra row you want. On to the tutorial….

Your quilt should have 10 rows. In each row, you will use 2 of each size piece above. There is no set order…since the fabrics you use will determine where you put your squares, but if you need help you can look at the quilt below and you should be able to tell what sizes I put where. I labeled the 1st couple of rows if you need help…

Once you get the rows laid out and the darks and light fabrics evenly spaced, sew the blocks together into rows, press, and sew your rows together and press. You should now have yourself a cute little quilt top in no time at all! I thought this one would be a good play mat quilt for a boy….to make it a crib size just add two more rows (cut 2 extra 1/8 yard pieces…so 12 instead of 10).

The fabrics used in this quilt are from the Wheels collection by Riley Blake. You can find it here or here. here. I’ve had lots of questions about the polka dots….the yellow dot and the blue and orange dot I have no idea. The orange on orange dot is from the wheels collection, the green and blue polka dot is Anna Marie Horner from the garden party line, the green outlined dots with some yellow dots thrown in is from the Mingle line by Robert Kaufman. The orange print that is kind of leafy with the brown dot in the middle is a Riley Blake print. Any of the others I have no idea but they are probably old!

55 Responses to The Road Trip Quilt

1. TJ and Whitnee July 15, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

Great tutorial Allison! I'd like to share a link on sewwhattoday.blogspot.com on July 16!

2. p.s.phyllis sews July 15, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

I love the simplicity of this quilt. Thanks so much for sharing. Also, love the fabric. So adorable.

3. Paige July 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Thanks for posting this – I really love the simplicity with these fabrics.

4. Lisa July 15, 2010 at 5:17 pm #

What a fun easy quilt. I will definitely put this on the list of options for a couple of shower gifts coming up this year! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

5. Leslie July 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

this such a fun tutorial for such a cute little quilt.

6. teedle. July 15, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

What a great little quilt! A perfect day project!

7. Amy July 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

This is super cute! thanks for sharing!
    I just finished a quilt for one of my daughters using the orange quilt tutorial. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

I am so happy with how it turned out, thanks for sharing the tutorial!

8. Andrea July 15, 2010 at 8:01 pm #

Great quilt!!

I'm starting a new sew along, come check it out at TheTrainToCrazy.com!

9. Tasha July 15, 2010 at 8:36 pm #

Love love love this one.

10. Brenda July 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Thanks for sharing how to make this quilt, it looks fantastic and I'd love to give it a go……now that I can see what to do!

11. patsy July 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

GREAT tutorial here!!
    I am makin' this baby-

I LOVE that fabric & I've been eyeing it for some time now :)

12. kersten July 16, 2010 at 1:50 am #

Love it!

13. S. July 16, 2010 at 4:41 am #

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. Your finished quilt is adorable!

14. Bec Clarke July 16, 2010 at 8:49 am #

That is so great, I have some fat 1/8ths that I am sure I can do that with and I have been looking for the right project for them.

15. semicrunchymama July 16, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

I love these fabrics, I love this quilt, and I love this tutorial! I've never made a quilt before, but I want to try, and I'm thinking that this pattern may very well wind up being my first attempt!

16. Barb July 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

How cute is that! I think I will have to use this pattern for the next baby quilt I need to make. Thanks.

17. Laurel July 16, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

I went over to Burgundy Buttons excited to order lots of fabric for $3.25/yd! After placing a rather large order I realized it is $3.25 per 1/2 yd. Not per yard. OOPS! You might want to change your referral so that others don't make the same mistake.

18. peppermintpatcher July 16, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

You've made fabulous use of this fabric. I love your quilt.

19. Kim July 17, 2010 at 1:42 am #

This is so cute! I'm hoping to go fabric shopping tomorrow and I might have to buy some to make this. I have a baby gift to make and this would be perfect! For true beginner quilters like me, how much fabric should I get for the backing and binding? I'm thinking a yard for the back but probably need some extra for the quilting process so 1 1/4 yards? Would love any input on this. Thanks!

20. Rinachiyya July 17, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial .
    I knew it was easy to do and it will be great to make one after a difficult quilt.

21. Brenda July 18, 2010 at 2:34 am #

Love it! Can't wait to make it -thanks for sharing!

22. Cat July 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

I love it. Thanks for the tutorial. I've always wanted to make a quilt and have yet to do so. You are inspiring me! (found your blog from another–not sure where 😉

23. Magnolia Bay Quilts July 20, 2010 at 11:40 am #

What an adorable quilt! You're so sweet to share it. Love the fabrics you used. And the quilting really looks nice!

24. Larri @ Seams Inspired July 23, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

Your tutorial is great and the quilt is fabulous! I think I could actually do this. It's on my To Sew/Quilt list. Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower. Found you at Sew What. Happy Friday and Happy Sewing! :o)

25. thebirdlady July 23, 2010 at 2:46 pm #

What a great quilt and pattern! I know the cars are Riley Blake, can I ask what the other fabrics are?

26. Sandi D July 23, 2010 at 6:02 pm #

Oooh, I'm using another one of your patterns…
    using Michael Miller fabric…guitars. Thank you for posting it…its right up my alley!

27. Rachel@oneprettything.com July 23, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

Oh so giftable, I love it! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

28. Carole Ann July 26, 2010 at 1:58 am #

So beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

29. Brandy July 26, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

Fantastic! but I have the dumbest question ever – when you sew the pieces together are you overlapping them somehow? I have never quilted and don't really understand that step.

30. Linda July 28, 2010 at 6:48 pm #

I also would like to know what other prints you used. Yours is so cute, I want to make sure mine is equally cute.

Thanks

31. Shirley July 28, 2010 at 11:07 pm #

I so love this quilt (and your blog!). Every day starts with a check to see what you've posted. I am having a hard time finding the polka dot fabrics, especially the yellow and the two tone dots. Since I don't have a creative bone in my body, I'm hoping maybe you'll remember which fabrics these are? Thanks again for such a wonderful blog and sharing your awesome talents.

32. Brandy August 2, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

Ok 0 I'm totally going to try this a my first quilt EVER – I found a fat quarter bundle with 6 fabrics in it – can I use that material. I'm so DUMB at this!

33. webbs August 10, 2010 at 5:41 pm #

cute kid quilt. but you're right, quilting in straight lines is SO BORING!! thanks as always for the great ideas and tutorials.

34. di November 6, 2010 at 6:50 pm #

I just love this quilt and thanks so much for such a great tutorial! This is the third quilt I have ever made and it was a great learning project for me. I finally got to hand-deliver it to it recipient yesterday and shared the story about this quilt on my blog here:
    Thanks again for such a wonderful quilt tutorial and I will be making this one again for sure!!!! :-)

35. Hillary (Mrs. Einstein) January 12, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

This is the first quilt I've ever made, and I love it! Thank you!!!

36. paigernate June 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

loved this so much that i had to make. just finished making the top of the quilt and i LOVE it! super easy too! thanks allison!

37. Shannynbree September 23, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

I made a queen size Roadtrip quilt as a wedding present. Thanks for the great pattern. It was perfect!

38. miamihoney December 9, 2011 at 5:57 am #

Your tutorial is fantastic. I just completed a quilt top using your tutorial and it went so quickly. Love your blog too!

39. Unknown February 1, 2012 at 3:47 am #

Thanks for sharing! I have been wanting to quilt for years but have always been intimidated by the patterns. With a new baby on the way I wanted to make him something special from me and this was perfect and easy. My quilting needs work but the but the top came together perfectly and his nursery is going to be adorable. Thanks again!! :)

40. pamselinski February 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

I have always wanted to quilt but just didn't know how to start. This tutorial is awesome and I am out the door heading for the fabric store. Thanks so much for the inspiration and the tutorial.

41. klee1 February 22, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

Thanks for sharing this awesome tutorial. I can't wait to get started on this. Hope it's OK that I pinned it! Wanted to share with my friends.

Kathy

42. DjM February 22, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

Well for a Newbie Quilter This will be my first project. Making it crib size and will atart gathering the fabrics together tonight and cut out tomorrow. I love it

43. Bobbi February 26, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I've made two boy quilts using the tutorial this year. I blogged the first one here.

44. Cookie King March 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Thank you so much for the great tutorials and patterns! I really appreciate Crafters who offer their ideas, work and expertise, for free!

I love this quilt. I love the movement the little automobiles and "roads" give the quilt. Great placement!

And no, I am not a quilter – yet. Just a fabric and supply gatherer – waiting for inspiration – and you just gave it to me. Thanks.

45. Unknown July 4, 2012 at 12:23 am #

What would I need to do to make it twin size? I've never made a quilt before but want to make one for my toddler boy.

• bootsiegirl October 12, 2012 at 8:21 am #

For a twin I think you could double the measuremts. I want to do a queen size with the Hawaiian prints I have so I think I have to quadruple the amount.

46. Kiki November 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

Thank you so much for a great tutorial. I just made my first quilt with this: http://www.chriskiki.com/2012/11/the-quilt-that-made-me-cry.html.
    Thank you oh so very much!

47. Tiff February 20, 2013 at 6:22 am #

I just made this quilt and absolutely LOVE this pattern! I have just got the quilt top done, but I had such a fun time making it and it was SO easy! Just wanted to say THANK YOU for putting up a pattern like this for free. Also, to let anyone reading this thinking about doing this quilt, this was only the 2nd quilt I have done and it turned out great! Here it is if you want to see it, remember it's just the top, I still have to add the backing, quilt and bind I just couldn't wait to share lol http://www.flickr.com/photos/93389416@N07/8490592505/

48. Lisa C July 3, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Thank you. I donate quilts to the NICU unit and this is the perfect size for an incubator.

49. Pat August 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

This really is a cute quilt and was perfect for a little strip of fabric I'd been hanging on to for awhile. The little zebras and monkeys were more of a border fabric but I didn't want to use them that way. Thanks for the tutorial! You can see my version of the quilt here

50. mishelljones October 5, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Hey, I just finished my first quilt EVER for my soon-to-be son. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I actually did 14 rows but otherwise followed your instructions and I'm really happy with the way it turned out! Thanks so much!

You can see my blog post about it here:

51. Cindy December 17, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Hey–thanks for a wonderful tutorial. I made this quilt, blogged about it here:
    thanks again!

52. Natalie Best December 8, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

Great tutorial! It was perfectly easy for my first quilt.

53. Kiasa December 30, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

A friend of mine (an avid, self-taught quilter) helped me make this quilt as my first quilt ever. It was SO much fun, pretty easy and I love the end result. It's a gift for a friend and her new baby, but my kids are all begging me to make each of them a quilt too. Thanks for inspiring me. I'm getting ready to make another one for another friend and her new baby. Then I'll venture off an make some bigger ones for my bigger kids. Today I'll head to Joann's to buy my own cutting mat and rotary cutter…I'm so excited. Thank you!!!

54. Nancy & Elliot April 29, 2015 at 4:43 pm #

I just used your tutorial to make my second ever quilt, and I love it so much I want to show it to the world. Thank you for the tips. I will certainly be using this pattern again! – Nancy Scott