Stocking Tutorial

Ok so this took me 2 days of staring at a stocking to figure out. My mind just doesn’t work in the turn it inside out then right side in then right side out and do the hokey pokey kind of way. So here’s a quickie tutorial mainly for my own sake so I remember how.  This tutorial is only for how to finish the stocking…not make the quilted front and the pattern for the actual stocking.  To get the stocking shape, I traced a store bought stocking from Target.  😉

Start with:

– the outside of the stocking, already sewn together with the back and turned right side out. (the front of my stocking is quilted with batting, the back has no batting)
– the lining of the stocking sewn together ( leave a 3” hole in the side for turning!) right sides in.
– fabric for the cuff
– a sewn tab of fabric for hanging tab

To figure out how wide to cut your cuff fabric….measure the width of the top of your stocking, double that number and add .5 inch for the seam allowance. For the length of the cuff I cut my fabric 9”…to give me a 4.25” finished folded cuff. So this piece was 9” x 16.5”
Sew together the 9” ends of the cuff piece, use a 1/4” seam allowance.

Turn the cuff right side out so its folded at the bottom and raw edges are at the top. It should make a tube you can stick the stocking in.

Stick the cuff on and around the top of the stocking, match the raw edges and pin. You can pin the tab onto the side now also.

Stick the whole thing into the lining. The stocking and lining should be right sides together.

Pin all of the raw edges together at the top (lining, 2 cuff edges, and stocking edges).

Sew all the way around the top. Make sure you catch all the layers (lining, cuff edges, stocking).

Turn the whole thing right side out using the hole left in the side of the lining.

Finish turning it inside out and sew up the hole in the side of the lining. Stuff the lining inside the stocking and fold the cuff down. Press the edges as needed.

When you’re done you’ll have a nicely lined cuff and stocking with no raw seams showing.

If you want to make these little double hourglass blocks I used my tutorial but changed the sizing of the template and the strips shown below:

77 Responses to Stocking Tutorial

1. Dena December 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

Love your stocking. What a great way to highlight the blocks. Thanks for the tutorial!

2. Seams Inspired December 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I am SO happy you did this tutorial! I have to make a stocking for a friend's pet, and was trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks for all the pics. Beautiful stocking! :o)

3. Stephanie December 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

I checked out that pattern from Thimble Blossoms yesterday and noticed that she used some batting in the middle. I was thinking about leaving it out (less bulk means more room for presents!) and it looks like you didn't use any. Do you feel like the stocking has enough body? Thanks for this great tutorial!

4. inday_adin December 10, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

This is beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial.

Adin B

5. Liz @ LivingMySweetLife December 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Thank you!! I need to make 2 of these for a newly engaged couple!!

6. Stephanie December 10, 2010 at 3:55 pm #

Awesome tutorial!!! Thanks so much for sharing your hard work. I have some Wee Wonderful Christmas elves that I embroidered 2 1/2 years ago that are waiting to be turned into stockings…this is giving me the push i needed!! :)

7. Bobbi December 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

Thank you so much! I stared at tutorials yesterday and I get so confused with RST-jargon (without touching the actual project). Your photos were just enough detail for me to figure it out. Can't wait to make a stocking for myself. :)

8. Pinkadot Quilts December 10, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

Love the stocking and your colors are great too!

9. Elizabeth D. December 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

Awesome!! Great tutorial, I will definitely be bookmarking this for next year :)

10. AllieKatMom December 10, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

Love this, thanks a ton!

11. Krista Hansen December 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

You are pretty smart to figure that out. It was beyond me. Thanks so much!

12. Bonny December 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

These are gorgeous! So nice to create us a tutorial:)

13. natasha | sohobutterfly December 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm #

Amazing!! I never would have figured that out in my spatially challenged brain.

14. Chris December 10, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

I'm still mystified by your tiny hourglass squares. Wow.

15. Amy December 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm #

Beautiful stocking!

16. Dawn W December 10, 2010 at 6:45 pm #

Absolutely darling! Makes me want to re-do all of my plain Christmas stockings and make them quilted ones.

17. Jenny G December 10, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

Thanks so much for posting this. i've wanted to make stocking for years. I think I might be able to now…though I have a feeling they won't be nearly as cute as yours:)

18. Christie, Describe Happy December 10, 2010 at 8:59 pm #

Thanks for putting this is a way that I feel like I could tackle a stocking fairly easily! Now, I just have to decide if I want to make them for this year or next… hahaa!

19. Lindsay Jean December 10, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

That inside-out, three-dimensional thinking is always the hardest part of projects like this. Thanks for the photos!

20. MiaDolce December 11, 2010 at 12:41 am #

Beautiful stocking!! I think I'll give our mantel a facelift next Christmas, and quilted stockings will be the centerpiece!

21. Diane December 11, 2010 at 1:36 am #

adorably cute! this one is my favorite of the 4 stockings… those double hourglass blocks are darling.

22. PunkiePie (Jen) December 11, 2010 at 1:50 am #

that's exactly how I did mine! I'm glad I was on the right track. :)

23. Mrs. Doodle December 11, 2010 at 3:28 am #

Awesome!!!!! Thank you:) making mine tonight! I showed my husband your stockings and he loved them and said I HAD to make our girls some:))))

24. Mystica December 11, 2010 at 6:17 am #

Very nice tutorial.

I have a giveaway on my blog – a gift card sponsored by CSN Stores. please do come and enter!

25. Judy December 11, 2010 at 7:05 am #

You are so kind and thoughtful to provide us with another great tutorial and without a fee. You have given me many inspirations and I thank you. I wish you many blessings at this Christmas time and I look forward to being with you in this coming year.

26. Chole December 11, 2010 at 7:05 am #

What have you done! You made this absolutely awesome stockings and you posted tutorials!! Wahahahaaaa. They are so gorgeous that now I will have to make them!! Have to! Have to! Have to!! And I already have my sewing table piled with unfinished projects.

I haven't drooled over a tutorial for a long time. Absolutely awesome stockings. Ok, going to make them NOW 😀

27. Nicole December 11, 2010 at 2:49 pm #

So. Freaking. Cute.

28. Sandy December 11, 2010 at 7:49 pm #

So sweet…thanks so much for sharing!

29. Bobbi December 11, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

thank you for the tutorial!! i made one last night and it was a BIG help! i used some red corduroy for an added touch on the top.

30. annieb December 11, 2010 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial- it all makes sense now…like your new banner, too.

31. canuckquilter December 11, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Thank you! Much tidier than what I cobbled together last year!

32. Michelle December 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

Lovely stockings, thank youfor the tutorial, maybe after xmas I can work on for next year.

33. VickiT December 12, 2010 at 4:09 am #

Wonderful. Thank you so much.

34. Leslie December 12, 2010 at 5:45 am #

Very cute stocking!!

I have to say you posted this tutorial at just the right time!! I am like you and have a hard time figuring out which way to place things to flip and sew and all of that. I tend to need the seam ripper close by for projects like this. I have been really obsessed with wardrobe refashion ideas and recently got a brainstorm to make my own gray boots from wool felt…I wanted them lined and to have a cuff. I have debated for the last couple of days as I have been putting the boots together how I would go about it all. I just happened to type lining and rolled cuff into Google, thinking I would never find what I wanted and voila', up came your post and it was EXACTLY what I needed. Now I see you just posted this on Friday and I found it a day later…Thank you so very much!!!

35. ruth.marie December 14, 2010 at 1:56 am #

I am so grateful that you posted this tutorial. I was pondering all the turning in and out in the pattern, but now it all makes perfect sense. Yay. Can't wait to finish off my stocking. Thanks so much.

Merry Christmas 😀

36. Joni December 14, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

Thank you for this tutorial! I love the design
    of the pieced stockings.

37. KerryQ December 16, 2010 at 3:31 pm #

My brain doesn't work that way at all! It would've taken me ages to figure out, and a lot of seamripping. Thanks for saving me some holiday angst!

38. Kim Walus December 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

These are my FAVORITE Christmas Stockings EVER!!! Thanks for sharing the stocking pattern you used and how you added your own special touch. I especially love the double hourglass one. It's my favorite. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Hugs!

39. Tammy January 1, 2011 at 3:55 am #

That is beautiful!

40. MosaicMagpie August 29, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

I am just getting ready to make some stockings for this year. What a great find this tutorial was,Thanks!

41. Rachel T November 1, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

I have just made a stocking for each of my daughters, using your tutorial, and I am SO pleased with them! Thank you so much for sharing this online. The stockings are just wonderful, and I really hope my daughters treasure them for years like I still treasure the one my Mum made for me.

42. Lynn November 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

I just followed the link to you from Purplepanda's blog. Thanks so much for your tutorial, I've always struggled with making stockings, now I've got it thanks!

43. Alida - Radcrafter November 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

Great tutorial! I featured it in a recent blog post….

44. Stevens Family November 15, 2011 at 2:58 am #

For some reason my stocking isn't coming out right. I have unpicked 3 times now and finally threw it against the wall. You line everything up (i.e. toes, heel) facing the same direction when you put right sides together, correct? When I flip the lining toe is facing a different direction than the outer fabric. I am so frustrated!

45. Stevens Family November 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

Two down…three to go. Thank you for this great tutorial! It has turned a light on in my head. I can see this coming in handy for bags and such.

46. Marilyn (Pulp Sushi) December 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

Hello! I had to share this in my DIY Tutorials post today :)

47. twirlingbetty December 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Hello there – just wanted to say thanks for this lovely tutorial. I wasn't nearly so organised as to be able to do a beautifully quilted front like yours, but I loved using the tutorial to make a stocking for my youngest this year.

48. Oknana January 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Hello, what a neat tutorial and very well done! I loved it! I am in a stocking swap group where we are making a Christmas stocking (yes, I know its Jan>) LOL, and we are going to fill it all year with small gifts from all those that signed up! Sure Hope my chosen person likes her new stocking! Thanks to YOU, It is nicely lined! I had not ever lined a stocking before and was a little intimated to make one but you took that away, and I can make more now with confidence! Thanks so much!

49. Fine Sting February 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Nice christmas stockings:) I loved your use of colours:)

50. Mrs. Landrum May 6, 2012 at 9:22 am #

I realize that it's May and Christmas is probably the furthest thing from everyone's minds, but I just had to leave a comment thanking you for such a wonderful tutorial. My puppy now has a Christmas stocking for this year! =)

51. Hanki September 2, 2012 at 8:05 am #

What a great tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing with us. The stockings are so beautiful. You inspired me! I made one than I felt in love with them and made another 5! for my friends and family so I am ready for Christmas this year!

52. Sarah Watkinson October 29, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

Thankyou so much for your tutorial!!! I would still be thinking of how to do the lining if it wasnt for this!!! So big big thanks!!

53. Krisandra Davis November 6, 2012 at 4:26 am #

I was looking for a way for the cuff of the stocking to stand out more, and this tutorial gave me the simple fix I needed. Thanks can't wait to try it!

54. Tina Potter November 25, 2012 at 5:24 am #

I was just ready to throw all the beautiful material I bought today to make stockings into the woodstove! I spent hours trying to figure this out. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Bless you.

55. Graphic Quilts December 11, 2012 at 12:33 am #

Thank you so much! I am totally confused with anything inside out or reversed/ upside down…. My usually smart brain goes totally blank and it really bothers me. I know this took a lot of time and really appreciate you sharing

56. Graphic Quilts December 11, 2012 at 12:33 am #

57. Kelly Marie McKee December 16, 2012 at 2:34 am #

THANK YOU so much for this tutorial. It was so helpful. I made 5 socks today and they turned out AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

58. Jen Boes August 6, 2013 at 12:35 am #

Thanks for sharing such a straightforward tutorial! Your stockings are really fun – great eye for color and design.

59. Steff September 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

Three years after posting this tutorial…you are my lifesaver!! I was stuck in the lining hokie pokie and couldn't see how to do it right. Thanks for sharing your talent and the hard work you put into such straightforward tutorials. My family will be enjoying their Christmas stockings for a long time thanks to you!

60. Michelle October 29, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

I used your tutorial a couple years ago when I started making stockings for our family, but now that it's grown (and growing more!), I need to make more. I started panicking because I couldn't remember how to find that really great tutorial that I used in the first place. :) But, I found it. Thank you for such great help!

61. TwynMawrMom November 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Oh my goodness thank you so so much for this! I have completed two other stockings and can't seem to get the lining right (no pun intended) 😉 Perfect timing!!

62. Rachel Myers November 28, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I am not sure I would have worked this one out no matter how long I stared at a made stocking.

63. Ann November 30, 2013 at 4:05 am #

I can't believe you figured that out! I'd still be sitting in front of the sewing machine scratching my head on Christmas Eve. Thanks so much!!!

64. Lisa December 16, 2013 at 2:34 am #

Thank you so much for this easy to follow tutorial! God Bless you for taking the time to take pictures and put it on the internet for people like me. Just made 2 beautiful stocking for future-in-laws!

65. heartofbrightstar December 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial. I started a stocking for my grandson and left the instructions somewhere, It's December 23rd, and here I am trying to figure out the inside out, outside in, hokey pokey! And there it is-the instructions I need! thanks again!

66. Alison December 26, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

I made three stockings this year with your pattern! It was my first sewing project and they turned out well. I would appreciate in the future more instruction about when to press seams. They turned out great though! Thanks so much!!

67. mattie January 31, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

Your pattern was the best I've found on the internet! I made 6 stockings this year and they turned out awesome, I've linked your blog on my post about it. Best wishes :)

68. Teacosy October 28, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

Thank you for sharing.

69. Rebecca Grace November 8, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Allison, once again you are a godsend! Thank you so much for posting this. I have been wanting to make some cuffed stockings for years but I kept getting hung up about how to manage the lining and the cuff with all seams hidden. No I have no more excuses! By the way, I love it when I search on Pinterest for ideas and Pinterest sends me to a blog I already follow. :-)

70. Hollie Parle December 1, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

You just saved me, thank you for an easy to follow tutorial. Hollie :)

71. Andrea Teal December 4, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

Thank you for this!

72. Fonda Boyd December 4, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

Thank you thank you so very much for the tutorial for the lined stocking. I just finished one and it turned out great. I have made quite a few in the past and always struggled a bit with my cuffs, this worked so well.Really I'm so glad I found it.

73. Debbie December 12, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

This tutorial was so helpful. I just finished my grandson's stocking. I will definitely be using this again. Thanks.

74. Heather December 19, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

Hi Allison, I just followed your tutorial to make a stocking for our little boy. I had never made a lined stocking with a cuff before and probably never would have figured it out. . .but it turned out perfectly when I followed your instructions. Thank you SO much!

75. Betty January 24, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

Our quilt guild makes Christmas stockings for a few of the local Assistance Ministries. My Bee makes about 75 each year, and we have the process down pat. Here is a link to the stocking pattern we use, and some brief instructions.

76. krista October 12, 2015 at 11:30 pm #

where did you buy the material for your stockings?!? i love the colours and am wondering if it was a fat quarter pack(s) or if you chose them all individually. I’m kinda new to this… but choosing fabric is killing me! thanks for your help!

1. Stocking Tutorial | Cluck Cluck Sew | Ableton Expert Home Of Ableton SupportAbleton Expert Home Of Ableton Support | Tutorials , Tips & Tools For Ableton Live Users :) - August 8, 2015

[…] Read the original here: Stocking Tutorial | Cluck Cluck Sew […]