A Better Look

Here is a very wrinkly closer look at the Skipping Squares quilt for those of you that asked:

The fabrics are from the Denyse Schmidt collection now at Joann’s.  The only other fabrics I added are the grey and white polka dot, the Sherbet Pips red with tiny white squares (my favorite red basic to date), and the bright blue and white polka dot.

I’ve heard a lot of positive and plenty of negative about this collection…but I really love it.  I don’t love every single print…but I never love ever single print in a collection.

28 Responses to A Better Look

1. Gail's Card Cafe' April 29, 2011 at 8:16 am #

I love it! I like that it's not just two different squared squares so it doesn't appear to be a pattern to the quilt.Great scrap quilt.

2. shez April 29, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Whow what a beautiful quilt

3. quiltilicious April 29, 2011 at 9:27 am #

Fantastic – I spy the backing fabric I sent you…glad it made it to you safely!

4. Melissa April 29, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Love the pattern and the fabrics. Oh, and you are so right about Joann's we have a love/hate relationship. I am very envious of the cities that have the "super" Joann's as we still have a teeny tiny one that is loaded with fleece for some reason. They never have enough people working in the stores, especially during big sales.

5. Linz April 29, 2011 at 11:34 am #

i love that quilt top!! It's beautiful! And way to go with all of that humanitarian work! That does so much for people in need! Good job! :)

6. ~Carla~ April 29, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Gorgeous! It's so bright & crisp! Love it! :)

7. Krista S. April 29, 2011 at 11:55 am #

We have a super Joannn's that's so big!! Like take a number to have your material cut big. But I'm still not running there to get this fabric. Not really in love with any of it, and I only buy what I love. I purchased this pattern from you months ago and still haven't had time to make it :/ I'm going to use Modern Meadow, Berry. Can't wait to start it, this gives me inspiration!

thehandmadehomemaker.blogspot.com

8. Justcallmeblessed April 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

I love the touch of green that the collection has. It really helps give it a fresh modern twist!

9. Elsa April 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

this quilt is really colorful and fresh ~ first thing I've seen made with this fabric. Wasn't sure I like it all that much but you've changed my mind!

10. allison April 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

starting to fall in love with some more modern print fabrics- (usually I'm a dark reproduction kinda girl)- how the h—- do you have the time for all of those quilt tops with small kids at home?? I have 3 under age 4 and never more than 20 minutes (or the length of one tv show to sew) of course that means ignoring my vacuum and washing machine!!)

11. Mom of 3 Girleighs April 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

gorgeous colors! I love it.

12. Gerri April 29, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

You're doing a good thing with those quilts. You and your hubby need to hang in there just a little bit longer!

13. Kris April 29, 2011 at 2:26 pm #

Oh I love it. The fabrics are fab!!

14. Ruth April 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Ooh I love the bright feeling of this with all the white. :-)

15. Kate G April 29, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

Love this quilt. Thanks for the inspiration!

16. Val April 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Just happened to stop by…you list of "guilty" thoughts had me laughing so hard tears were in my eyes and my kids kept asking why I was laughing so hard. Probably because I have thought at least half of those myself on a regular basis…thank you for the laugh today!

17. bethanndodd April 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Beautiful!

18. Rachel April 30, 2011 at 12:44 am #

love!! I would love to get my hands on this fabric, I am heading to Joann's this weekend. I love that skipping squares pattern. Thanks for a better pic.

Cheers!
    Rachel

19. Val April 30, 2011 at 2:55 am #

Say someone wants to learn how to quilt, I can use a machine and make many square things (cant read a pattern!!) but need to know where I should start!? A book, a video, a class?? Thanks!!

20. Sherri April 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Thirteen quilt backs in one day…that's amazing!!!

21. knittingdragonflies April 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

I'm in love with this quilt!!
    Vicki

22. Mari Angeles Iglesias April 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Hola Allison.

I love when there is so much clutter while doing patchwork, everything is full of colorful fabrics. And one combines each other, making magic with them.

My husband often complains, but then I love what I do. I guess that happens to you as well.

The top is very nice that you prepared.

Thanks for the comment the other day on my blog. I was thrilled. :)

Greetings from Granada, Spain, from espiralcaracola.blogspot.com

23. The4Rs May 1, 2011 at 12:56 am #

I would be honored if you could join my linky giveaway, http://the4rsRamblings.blogspot.com
    I love links using scraps and "green" approach to crafting, could you check me out? Thanks, love your blog…
    sandy

24. Karen May 1, 2011 at 7:08 am #

I don't always like every print in a collection either but its often those ones that make a quilt intersting. I love what you have done with the DS collection.

25. One Flew Over May 2, 2011 at 2:20 am #

I got some of this too and am planning on using it very soon.

Love the layout, beautiful x

26. amandajean May 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

i love your quilt top! i'm with you. i don't love every fabric in the line, but i bought all of it anyway. i think it goes great together. did i mention that i love your quilt top???

27. suemac May 3, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Congrats. What a great effort on the part of you and your quilty friends.

28. Sue SA May 4, 2011 at 10:57 am #

I am very impressed with your output for charity quilts, it takes us about six months to make that many. I make charity quilts weekly at my local church, but we quilt them. Obviously tying them is alot quicker … what sort of thread do you use and how many strands? Happy quilting Sue SA.