Sprockets are fun

Turns out my kids really love sprocket pillows.  They can be rolled down the hall.…jumped on…thrown down the stairs…the list goes on and on.   So I had to make them their own…before mine were literally beat to pieces.   I started with this cute stack of fabric Ben picked out (with some mommy editing):
Aren’t those robots cute?  I did a trade with Ariel (it’s her own design) for it…and I’m pretty positive  got the better end of the deal.   After a quick sew and letting Ben do the stuffing…he ended up with a cute pillow he can play with.
So now his room has a robot pillow, pirate sheets, elephant curtains, a superman poster, animal alphabet flashcards and a batman cave in it.  His poor room has an identity crisis.
He loves his pillow.  I’m not sure the pillow loves him back though….we’ll give it a week and see if it still has the stuffing.

And ‘cause you asked…I called them sprocket pillows because my husband was assembling a bike while I was assembling these pillows.  Bike sprockets…round pillows…get it?
Yeah me neither….just smile and nod.

41 Responses to Sprockets are fun

1. Rachel April 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

SO cute! I wish I had a robot pillow in my room! That would be totally appropriate for a grown woman, right? . . .

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

2. Kim April 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

What fun! I think my kids would love those too! I totally get the bike sprocket/pillow connection ;o)

3. Impera_Magna April 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

That is a gorgeous pillow… and I totally get why you call it a sprocket pillow!

4. Jeni April 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

What a cool mom you are. I think my kids would like those too. Thanks for sharing the kid version!

5. Ruth April 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Oh I love these too. That robot fabric is great!

6. Wendy April 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Totally love your sprocket pillows and thought the name was quite fitting!! And I love that your little boy's room is a mix of all the things he loves.

7. Kris April 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

I have got my fabric. Got my button cover kit. Got my templates printed out, and traced onto cardstock. I am ready to SPROCKET!!!

8. Libby April 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

How in the world did I miss this tutorial??? What a wonderful pillow!! I have made my daughter a quilt for each year that she has gone to college (2) and I think she will need a matching Sprocket pillow for this Fall's quilt!
    Thank you SO much for sharing!

9. Esch House Quilts April 10, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

So great that your son has such variety in his room – I bet he loves it all! Especially the pillow :)

10. Laura April 10, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

The last picture of Ben squeezing the daylights out of his pillow is heart-warming. I do love this pillow!

11. Peggy April 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

The pillow is completely awesome and the fact that your son loves it so much is even better! btw, I so get the whole sprocket things! And your son's room… it represents the diversity of childhood which makes it even more special. I love a child's room which really represents who THEY are not a cookie cutter ideal. Since he is special his room deserves to be special too! He is privileged to have a momma who lets him be who he is!!! (This coming from the mom who allowed her teenage son to have a room painted parrot green, chocolate brown, cream, and chrome! it makes me shutter at times… but he LOVES it!)

12. Michelle April 10, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Cute, cute, cute…love it.

13. Live a Colorful Life April 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

My grandkids will LOVE to have sprocket pillows. And the name is too cool– and fun to say!

14. Sandra April 10, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

How fun! I'm lovin the bright colors and the whole "sproket" concept!

15. CityHouseStudio April 10, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

I LOVE this pillow — and am so glad that you shared the tutorial.
    I've already made 2! I wrote about it here: http://cityhousestudio.blogspot.com/2011/04/lexis-room.html

16. Jo April 10, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

Ooh, I'm loving the kid version! My toddler would love one.

17. toots2u April 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

love the fabric combo!!!!… perfect for a boy and i love the robot fabric!

18. PunkiePie (Jen) April 10, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

I made one and gave it to my daughter. The one you made for your son is ADORABLE!! I have plans to make more.

19. Brenda April 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

Your sons big squishy sprocket pillow looks fantastic in the room with an identity crisis!

20. Trulie Scrumptious April 10, 2011 at 11:12 pm #

How cute are these! LOVE Them… Your blog is just amazing, we love it! my sister and I would love if you came and checked out our new blog and became our newest follower! we'd also love any tips you have on making such a fabulous blog!
    hope to hear from you soon!

21. Maria April 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

Never thought to make the kids their own sprocket pillow they love mine to bits I just can't explain that mine is purely for decoration. (http://veryspecialcreations.blogspot.com/)looks like I will be making a few more of these…love your version of the kids pillow.

22. Crystal Hendrix April 11, 2011 at 12:05 am #

Love it! I also think your sons room is VERY cute the way it is! I like the mismatch, and the great part is that if he goes out of one thing, you don't have to re decorate his room!!

I have really wanted to make this pillow and so I will have to ask my boys if they want one and if they do…make it for them. Although they are pretty much into their pillow pets.

23. shez April 11, 2011 at 12:11 am #

what a great idea,love the colours and fabric,Ben did a good job of choosing the fabric,well done love it,might do some for home

24. Jamie April 11, 2011 at 2:08 am #

my son has those same pirate sheets!!

25. Kari April 11, 2011 at 4:00 am #

I believe the term is eclectic. I like it.

26. heather April 11, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Ha! I made one of these for my couch in my "formal" living room and go figure …. kid magnet! I guess I will have to also make the kids each one of their own before mine is ripped to shreds lol.

27. Inspired Gal {Crafts} April 11, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

These pillows are darling! Love the fabrics you chose. Thanks for sharing.

28. Melinda April 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

Seriously adorable! Your son has a heck of an eye already! Even with the mommy editing, I'm impressed!

29. Julie Phillips, aka Julieloveslucy SCS April 11, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Your fabric is really cute and the pillow is too! Darling bedroom decor. The little monster next to the pillow is soooo cute. He's a lucky little guy to have such a great mommy!

30. Jenny April 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

Really cute pillows. Bet if you boys love them, my little guy would as well.

31. Melissa April 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

I love your sproket pillows! The day I saw them I knew I wanted to make one for my son's room…I love the fabrics you chose!

32. Why Not Sew? April 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm #

The pillows are great!

33. Brita April 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

Truly cute as can be! Love that the fabric can make them fun and funky, or totally glam.

34. Kate April 12, 2011 at 3:41 am #

This is adorable! Love love love the robot fabric!

35. Christie, Describe Happy April 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

I really enjoyed the story! I still have these on my "to make" list and can imagine they are going to be great! Oh and interesting about the name too! Neat!

36. Wendy P April 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

That sounds like my grandson's room. Very eclectic. But it is all the things he loves, so he's happy!

Very cute pillow.

37. mamaneedstowashherhair.com April 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

smiling and nodding over here! love the fact that your little guy's room has an identity crisis, find that very endearing…reflects how they truly grow at lightning speed :)

38. tusen April 14, 2011 at 5:16 am #

I love the sprocket pillows, they look such fun. Great choice of fabric, too. The little robots are such a nice touch.

39. Ada April 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

That's adorable! I totally cuddle the stuffing out of it too!!

40. Taller de lino /linen artisan October 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

Thanks so much for your inspiration ,I'm following you time ago, your work is great and I would like to say thanks for that tutorial in particular I just mention you here:

41. Helen September 21, 2015 at 10:07 am #

By adding a button to the back, will give it more strength