I took a break from my To-Do list last weekend to make a new pincushion (or 2). These would make cute little gifts, so I included a quick template and tutorial if you’d like to make your own.
You’ll need to print the template found at the link below:
1. Cut out 10 wedges
2. Use a 1/4″ seam allowance. Pin and sew the wedges into 2 halves, pressing the seams open, or towards the colored fabrics. Be careful not to stretch all those bias edges!
3. Sew the halves together. You’ll notice even my wedges stretched slightly during sewing and didn’t line up after sewing…just trim off the excess slightly with scissors to make a nice round circle again. Press the seam open to reduce bulk.
4. For the back you’ll need a 8 1/2″ square of fabric. Cut the fabric in half down the middle.
5. Now sew the two halves back together…but this time leave a 2″ hole in the center for turning. Make sure to backstitch really well on either side of the opening so it won’t come apart during stuffing.
6. Center the top of the pincushion right side down on the backing with the turning hole in the center. Pin and sew all the way around the edges…no need to leave another hole.
7. Trim around the circle with scissors and turn right side out through the hole in the back. Press.
8. Stuff it good and tight through the hole in the back…then ladder stitch the hole closed.
9. Add a button just like I did on the Sprocket Pillows (scroll to the bottom) and you’re done! Moosh it around good to get the stuffing around the edges and stick some pins in it.