Kaleidoscope 2

I got this quilt back from a shop last week and fell in love with it all over.  The quilting is a-maz-ing.  I made this out of 2 (ish) layer cakes of Summer House by Moda with the Kaleidoscope pattern.  I made the quilt top last spring…then told my local quilter she could do whatever she wanted on it…which I always do…because she’s amazing and I can’t ever decide.
The back is a pop of color.  I really love it…just what I need when its brown and pretty darn ugly outside.
Just for fun if I showed you the un-edited version of that picture you’d see:
the roller coaster set up in my living room.  The best $94 Santa ever spent…even if it is loud and I have to step over it everyday…best…toy…ever.

50 Responses to Kaleidoscope 2

1. jmday January 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

OMG… the roller coaster is hilarious! Now I want one… but there is no room except maybe in the hallway… Oh, yeah, and the quilt is gorgeous. 😉

2. Little Island Quilting January 9, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

I love unedited pics, I do it on my blog too. Great, colourful quilt. Just the antedote to a grey winter's day.

3. Tara January 9, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

I'm wanting to make a string quilt using this pattern, so you had fantastic timing! Thanks!

4. theluckiest January 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

I wish this pattern came in twin sized! (with possibly bigger blocks! hehe)

5. Amie January 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

that is SO gorgeous!!! i gave up on editing toys out of my images, ha! with 5 kids, there's always a little person, juicebox, or toy in the background.

6. Jenn at The Little Shop of Stitches January 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Your quilt is bee-you-tee-ful! And, had I known about the roller coaster, it would have definitely been under our tree this year!

7. Claire Jain January 9, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

Good Night! You weren't kidding about that quilting, either. Homegirl is talented, and so are you! I love the color combo. Way to rock another beautiful quilt :-)

8. mindingmomma January 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Love the colors of your quilt. Have never seen that toy, looks like it would be fun.

9. daisy and jack January 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

gorgeous – I love summer house is so fresh – and that quilting is really great

10. Carol January 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

What an amazing quilt, beautiful
    The toy looks great fun.
    Carol xx

11. loves2spin January 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Beautiful! And what a lucky young person to have their own roller coaster!!!

12. Sher January 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

I totally agree with you on the roller coaster toy. My kids are 22, 19, 18 and 15. We got it when the 19 and 18 year old were 1 and 2. It was in my kitchen. We moved to another state and it went out in the yard. As they got older, it was used for all sorts of stuff including a skateboard launcher for teens. It's now handed down to my 2 and 5 yr old niece and nephew and it looks and works as well as it did 18 yrs ago! I'd highly recommend it!

13. ThirdMargaret January 9, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

I love the quilt!! I have some Summer House for a Basket Case quilt as soon as I work up the nerve to cut it! We also have a roller coaster and it is truly wonderful; best toy until…..Santa brought a plasma car!!
    My children rode them Every Single Day for over two years and still ride them often. Santa was brilliant that year!

14. audrey January 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

We had that roller coaster living in our house for a loooooong time too. Lots of fun on that one 😀

Love the quilt! The bright colors are fantastic.

15. Kristen January 9, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

Roller coaster! I wonder if it would keep the cats entertained?

The quilt is beautiful. Oh. My. Word. So colorful and amazing and sigh inducing awesomeness.

16. euphoria January 9, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

I loooooove this pattern so much! well, all of your patterns… they come together so quickly and easily! I made 2 kaleidoscopes this past year, the Christmas one was so cute!

I totally wish I had a roller coaster when I was little! :o(

17. Rosa January 9, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

I love your quilt,gorgeous!

18. Heather January 9, 2012 at 11:01 pm #

Very beautiful quilt!

19. 1lesliehart January 9, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

That is a beautiful quilt! I love how bright the colors are too!

20. The Cozy Pumpkin January 10, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Hmmm…rollercoaster. May need one!

Love the quilt and the quilting is gorgeous. How much extra on the sides (batting and backing) does your quilter like to have? I'm thinking of getting a couple done myself. I know every quilter is different but I"m just curious. Thanks, Allison!

21. Diane January 10, 2012 at 12:48 am #

Amazing! This is beautiful.

22. lifeinredshoes January 10, 2012 at 2:13 am #

That 94 bucks will come in awful handy when you have that new babe in your arms :)

23. mennikelly January 10, 2012 at 2:40 am #

Have you tried stomp rockets yet?

24. Stanton Blog January 10, 2012 at 5:40 am #

Love the quilt, but I have to tell you that I got that roller coaster at a garage sale about 11 years ago for $5 and my grandkids have all had a great time with it. They keep passing it down to the younger ones.

25. Judy Blinkenberg January 10, 2012 at 6:12 am #

The quilt is beautiful. Your work is amazing. My goal is to make quilts half as nice as yours. Love it.

26. sara January 10, 2012 at 6:17 am #

what beautiful quilting! on an even more beautiful quilt. i love the colors. you did a great job! BTW, i am an adoptable grandma and i love 2 year olds……….they are my favorite! just saying

27. Pat January 10, 2012 at 6:19 am #

I love your quilt. It reminds me of summer time at the beach. The colors and the backing are perfect. I understand why you love it,

28. Heleen Groot January 10, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Beautiful! It looks like spring has come early this year! Lovely colours.

29. Tanya January 10, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Stunning…love the colours

30. Tara June January 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

I love it, so nice and bright!

31. goletagirlwendy January 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Lovely quilt. Love the bright colors. I feel the same way about the roller coaster as with Legos at my house.

32. Pam January 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

So very pretty!! I've wondered what does someone charge for quilting? I've just started piecing some tops together for lap quilts that I will attempt to quilt myself but I would love to make and extra large quilt top for our king size bed and know that quilting it is not for me. Can you share with me what I might expect to pay for a quilting service? thanks, Pam

33. jillredding January 10, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

The roller coaster was our favorite toy too. My kids are 24, 20 and 15 so the toys are soo much more expensive! I am glad to hear that they are still making the roller coaster I don't know what happened to ours but we will be buying another one if we ever have grandchildren. I love the quilt have been wanting to buy that pattern and this has pushed me over the edge.

34. Becky January 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

The quilt turned out beautiful! And I'm loving the roller-coaster too :)

35. Di~ January 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

That quilt is beautiful! I wonder why I haven't seen summer house in the stores?

36. Julie January 11, 2012 at 2:22 am #

I love reading your posts! You makes me smile with your wit. The quilt is fabulous too! I have to add it to my ever-growing to-do list.

37. Dale January 11, 2012 at 5:15 am #

hi I love the colours of this quilt. Can you tell me if the circles have to be put on by turned applique or are they swen on

38. Quiltingranny January 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

What an amazing quilt and the colors are perfect together!

39. Sue January 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

that is one of the loveliest quilts ever, so pretty and fresh stunning!
    Oh and the rollercoaster is cool too!

40. Live a Colorful Life January 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

Love the bright and cheery colors in this quilt! The rollercoaster looks fun.
    P.S. Mennikelly's comment above about stomp rockets–they are WAY cool! Highly recommended.

41. Floss January 11, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

I love this quilt and the unedited photo.

42. Dragonfly Fabric Canada January 12, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

I love this quilt. I have been staring at your Kaleidoscope pattern for over a year now and I think it is time to take the plunge!

43. Chrissy January 13, 2012 at 2:01 am #

Summer House is one of my favorite lines and I love how this pattern showcases it! :)

44. Amber January 13, 2012 at 2:37 am #

ooh it's so cute! i love it! and i've always loved that fabric. i want to make that pattern sometime. gosh i feel so lazy lately. not accomplishing much. thanks for inspiring me.

45. Drucilla's Stitches January 14, 2012 at 1:43 am #

Love this quilt…color inspiration here! Thank you for your tutorials and amazing inspiration on your blog!

46. Erica at Sew So Crafty January 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

I just love the colours of your quilt … it is sooo fresh & modern. You have inspired me to start my own kalleidoscope quilt … Thnks. PS. Just love your blog!

47. Jan Marie January 14, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy your site because of your use of color. Love the way you put it together.

48. ShannieS January 15, 2012 at 6:51 am #

Can you tell me who you send your quilts to, to finish them? I live in California and we do not have anyone out here hat does that! I would love to get my tops finished!

49. ShannieS January 15, 2012 at 6:51 am #

50. JJ January 16, 2012 at 2:32 am #

I love your quilt it is so pretty and you did such a good job.