Boy 2 Strip Quilt Done

I crossed “make the boys new quilts” off of my Summer bucket-list just in time for school to start.
EVERY night my boys kick their top sheets off or to the bottom of the bed…so I gave up on top sheets and backed these quilts with a super duper soft minky (the silver is out of stock now).  It was definitely an investment (it was $8.48 a yard when I bought it!)  but it will be worth it if I don’t have to dig for that darn top sheet every morning.
Because the back is minky I paid a long arm quilter to do the quilting.  I’ve quilted with minky in the past but its not my favorite and requires a lot of basting spray/pins.  Kathy did the quilting and did just enough to make it look great without making it too stiff… as minky backed quilts can be.
He loves it.  Now I just need it to have magic powers and make my kids sleep in past 6 AM.  *yawn*

49 Responses to Boy 2 Strip Quilt Done

1. Palak September 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

The quilt is a so cute, but your son is even cuter! What a darling picture of him all wrapped up! He looks so cozy!

2. celkalee September 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

What a sweetheart, your son. He really seems to love his new quilt too. It is great. I have never used minky as a backing but it really is a good idea for utility pieces. There are so many fleeces on the market right now and I am making kids quilts as well. I am on the search, thanks for the idea.

3. MM Quilts and Embroidery September 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

It turned out really cute. I have never used minky on my long arm I may have to try that because just like your kids, mine kick off all the covers!

4. Donna~~ September 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

What a cutie! (and the quilt looks great too!) I'd love a minkie backed quilt for me–sounds wonderful!

5. Retro Mod Momma September 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

I will make my first quilt… I will make my first quilt… I will make my first quilt…

6. Angela {fussycut} September 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Beautiful! I want a cozy, minky backed quilt!

7. Diane-crewe September 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

looks like he approves!! love the stippy look… so good for boys xx

8. Lisa September 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

What a great idea for the back. My boys do the same thing – scrunching the top sheet down at the bottom of their beds. Drives me crazy! Hmmmm, may have to add quilts with minky backings to the project list!

9. marysza September 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

omg! it's so perfect!!!! lines look just amazingly straight!!! :O

10. Bev September 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Cute quilt! Adorable little boy! Just wait! When they are teenagers, you won't be able to get them up! They'll sleep until 2 in the afternoon if you let them. :)

Cheery wave from
    Bev

11. UKMUMINUSA September 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Lovely quilt, I agree that Minky can be difficult to sew, I made a scarf with it and my too boys asked me to make pillow covers with it!!!! They are 16 and 18!!! LOL

12. Carla September 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

It's gorgeous! And your little guy looks so pleased

13. Di~ September 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Great quilt! tell them they can do magic with their new quilt…by sleeping longer in the morning…hopefully….

14. happydancequilting September 17, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Oh my gosh – that is absolutely the best boy quilt I've ever seen. I LOVE it!!!!

15. Jeanne W. September 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

That is just darling and perfect for boys. I have 3 little boys myself so always on the lookout for boy quilts that aren't too babyish, etc. You sound like you are describing my boys with the sheets and wake-up times. =)

16. mindingmomma September 17, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Really sweet photo, great quilt!

17. Elaine M September 17, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Fabulous quilt! Your son looks like a real sweetie mixed in with some fun under the quilt.

18. giddy99 September 17, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

It's lovely!

19. Toni September 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Great boy quilt! I love the colors and that minky looks heavenly. What is it with little boys being anti-sheet? All three of mine won't leave the top sheets on their beds, either so I don't even try anymore, I just use them for quilt backs!

20. beth lehman September 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

it's FABULOUS!!! love the colors and the the size of the rectangles!!!

21. Melanie@Crafty Cupboard September 17, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

That backing is beautiful! I love how it turned out. I love your *yawn* it totally made me laugh!

22. Marian September 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

My kids do this too! I don't even put sheets on anymore either. They each have a blanket they've loved since they were born, but now that they're to big for their blankets, I'm going to have to do something similar or they'll freeze this winter! Love the colors and how you did the stripes! Lucky boy, that thing looks super cozy!

23. trish September 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

Love your boy quilt Allison! And such a little cutie you have there! Look at those curls! :o)
    Kathy did a gorgeous job quilting with the minky on back. That must be the softest quilt ever!! :o)
    Have a fabulous week! Trish xo

24. IzzyR September 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

He looks well wrapped and a happy camper.Fun quilt.

25. Unknown September 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

I skip putting on the top sheet on my kids beds. Since I've begun sewing when I buy new sheets for them I take the top sheet and add it to my fabric stash!

26. lifeinredshoes September 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

Bravo!

27. Amy Rea September 18, 2012 at 12:06 am #

It looks fantastic and he looks pleased as punch with it!

We have gotten ride of top sheets on the kids beds too. So much easier without them

x

28. Helen L September 18, 2012 at 5:00 am #

great quilt, and even greater pic of your cute little one wrapped in it!!! Kudo's to you!! :-)

29. mareshavefun September 18, 2012 at 5:04 am #

What a beautiful and comfy quilt for your adorable son.

30. Suz September 18, 2012 at 5:43 am #

What a cutie – those fabric colours are just made for him.

31. chicken lover September 18, 2012 at 6:26 am #

What an absolutely gorgeous little boy you have – such a sweet photo.

32. Sue September 18, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Glorious quilts, lucky boys I'm sure they will cherish them forever. I made my daughter a patchwork quilt when she was tiny, she's 26 now and still has it on her bed. And it still looks good!

33. Alicia September 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

very cute! I used a Shannon Fabrics Cuddle kit – that minkee-like stuff – used those strips on the top, a soled piece of the same minkee-like fabric on the back. And I put batting in it! Talk about HEAVY! but it sure is soft!
    Love the quilt and the kiddo!

34. Kathleen O'Grady September 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

Your quilt is awesome, you must feel so good about getting that crossed off your list, I would. Your son is adorable, looks like there could be some mischief there also 😉

35. Linda Shields September 18, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Totally awesome! Love the quilting, too.

36. Cindy September 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

What a beautiful quilt!! Looks so warm and comfy! And your little model is such a cutie!! Looks like he's going to love the quilt!:)

37. Bari Jo September 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

I really want to try to back a quilt with Minky – thanks for the heads up on best way to quilt it! Love your new boy quilts you did – and man is he ever C.U.T.E.!!!! That smile… those curls… :O) even if he gets you up early – what a sweet face to greet you! Ours were usually up about 5:30 oy… UNTIL puberty hit… then I couldn't get them out of bed LOL…. first you want them to sleep, then you need them to GET UP! Enjoy – these sweet years will fly by!!!! My baby is 17 now and a senior… and yes… still having trouble getting up – sleeps through his alarm! It wakes the rest of us – just not him!

38. Patti September 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Gorgeous malorgeous

39. BlinkeysBlog.blogspot.com September 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

What a great idea! My grandkids do the same with their sheets. That's just what I will do with their quilts. Thanks so much. I could never give up my sheet. I'd rather not have a blanket.

40. Anne September 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

Lovely quilt. I had to laugh at the sleeping reference. I remember the days of early risers. Then they get to be teenagers and you don't see the until noon unless you wake them up.

41. EG September 18, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

He is adorable, and so is the quilt!

My 5 year old bunches the top sheet at the bottom of the bed, too. What's up with that?

42. Frambooske September 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Love this quilt!! He looks so cute and happy :)! Am also admiring your perfect matching up. I tried to be very precise in my measuring on mine and still found they didn't match that well. Practise makes perfect?!

43. Cheryl Arkison September 19, 2012 at 6:46 am #

And I made my girls a quilt because the duvet was too much! But they are obsessed with footie pajamas so the quilt is often too much now. Sigh.

44. Kelly O. September 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

My daughter wants a minky backed quilt but I wasn't sure whether I should put batting in between or not…did you?

45. Stephanie September 21, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

I also have 2 boys and just love reading your blog. There is so much to inspire one here!

The quilts are fabulous and your boys are so cute! And don't worry, you're not alone in the early risings. My boys are almost always up by 5:30 or 6 – no matter what time they go to bed.

46. Anne September 22, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

What sweet boys. I used to have my kids get up there and help. They were small enough to not weigh the mattress down and could tuck the corners in on the back side. Then I could pull it to the front. Plus it helped them learn how to do it. Not that they are very good at making their beds these days. haha

47. Sew Create It - Jane September 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

This is magic! Great pics and a wonderful quilt!

48. Rebecca Grace September 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

This is adorable — I love the spiral quilting against the straight patchwork lines! So, when you use Minky for the backing, do you still put batting in your quilt? This looks so soft and snuggly!

49. QuiltieComments October 13, 2012 at 3:05 am #

Hi Allison, thanks for writing about this quilt! I really love the design and I'm almost done with my own version for my kindergartener!! I started it not long after you posted your top and was hoping to see yours before I had to figure out how to quilt mine. :) I love what you (your longarmer) did, swirls are just what I was thinking too!

Anyway, good job AND thank you so much for the inspiration.