Quilting Flowers

I’ve done a few baby quilts with these flowers and it’s so fun to do…so I snapped a couple of close ups to show.  Once I practiced a bit, quilting these flowers was even faster than stippling.
Disclaimer:  When I first started my flowers looked like this:
Uh-huh…bad.   Aaaaaand, as you can see…I left it.  It adds “character”.
But after a few bad ones they started to look like this:
It resembles a flower this time!
Here are some step by steps…it’s a little tricky to follow the thread but hopefully you’ll get the idea.

(camera in one hand + quilt in the other = fuzzy picture…sorry)
Basically you are making 2 figure 8 designs, then the last loop or petal, and you move onto the next flower.  I drew it with pencil a few times before I tried it on a quilt…it obviously didn’t help as shown by the bad flower picture up there…but with a little practice they now look semi-good.   Try it!

58 Responses to Quilting Flowers

1. Kat April 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

Super cute! And gives me hope about learning curves :-)

2. Die Fischerin April 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Wow, i love it

3. claudia April 9, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Nature doesn't have perfect flowers…or should I say natures flowers ARE perfect and yours all look just like natures!
    What you call "BAD" are actually just character.

4. Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau April 9, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

Very cute! Thanks for sharing!

5. Deborah Hamilton April 9, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

Those are very pretty flowers. Thanks for the tips.

6. Elaine M April 9, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Thank you for showing the steps. Great pictures. I've been wanting to try something new. Fun!

7. Kristan April 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

How cool! I recently did this same quilting in the borders of a table runner, and I had the same "bad flower(s)" at the beginning. http://www.flickr.com/photos/doodledodesigns/8580545989/in/photostream

8. auntreeniequilts April 9, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

thanks for posting this, i will try it. really trying to get out of stippleland.

9. Erica April 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Thanks for sharing this. I have tried flowers a couple of times but have had to pick them out because they looked much worse than your "bad" example :) I did mine a little differently though and this looks much easier.

Also, I just saw your new fabric line on Windham's website. It is GORGEOUS and I can't wait to get my hands on some :)

10. jennifer April 9, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

Fun! I don't think I've tried flowers yet, but I have done stars in my quilting. I'll have to remember to try this on my next one.

11. Allison Hazel April 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

They are great. Thank you for showing. Is it hand or machine sewn?

12. Johanna April 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Figure 8s, that will work better than the way I was trying! I need to practice that. I am stuck quilting these darn straight lines! I was going to practice FMQ at least once a week when I got my new machine, that was a year and a half ago!

13. Happy Cottage Quilter April 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

I love making these flowers, especially for baby girl quilts.

14. Linda April 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

HI! I like it! I'm going to try it too! Something about the '8' loop makes FM easier;probably because we've made so many '8's' in math.
    THANKS ♥

15. Linda April 9, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Hi! Me again! I just saw your new fabric line on Windham>WOW! Know it will do well!

16. Schulz Family April 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

I love the flowers and the details there are so good that I think I could do it. I would have made the flowers a different way but your way has a much better flow. thanks

17. ThirdMargaret April 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

That's a darling way to quilt; I will give it a try. Thank you for the how-to!

18. CaroleM April 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Super cute!! Nicely done!

19. grapes and hearts April 9, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Looks great! Thanks for sharing, I'm surely going to try this soon!

20. Jennifer April 9, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

Thanks for sharing! I have only just started free motion quilting and always looking for new designs.

21. ✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ April 9, 2013 at 11:59 pm #

I'm going to try it! What size quilt have you done it on? I get nervous fmqing anything bigger than a toddler quilt.

22. Erin Quinn April 10, 2013 at 12:34 am #

Thanks so much for showing htis. When it's broken down, it's not as daunting. I'm about to strat my first ever attempt at FMQ and am completely scared. But I can draw a flower!! So surely I can sew one! :-)
    E xx

23. Jocelyn April 10, 2013 at 12:49 am #

Your quilting is so pretty. I've tried to stipple & all I get is a pointy mess of uneven stitch lengths. Very discouraging & stressful, I must say.

24. Erica April 10, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Thank you for the explanation and for taking the time to take photos – it helps a ton! Your quilting looks great.

25. Angela T April 10, 2013 at 1:28 am #

Even bad flowers are pretty. Thanks for sharing.

26. Myra April 10, 2013 at 2:44 am #

Very nice! And thanks for showing how to do it! I'm gonna have to try those someday. :)

27. cambric cotton, pins and needles April 10, 2013 at 3:21 am #

As in nature not every flower is perfect but they are all beautiful. Lovely, thanks for sharing

28. Handmade by Hanki April 10, 2013 at 4:11 am #

Bad or good flowers they are all lovely! I have to try this!

29. Kate April 10, 2013 at 4:12 am #

I like it! One to keep for a future quilt I think :-)

30. Chris S April 10, 2013 at 6:02 am #

LOVE this!!!

31. Franziska April 10, 2013 at 6:18 am #

Feel hugged! I'd love to try those, too. And I'm so happy you did a brief tutorial. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

32. mareshavefun April 10, 2013 at 7:02 am #

Trust me, my "bad" flower would make your "bad" flower, look like something I want to aspire to ;-)Thanks for the tutorial.

33. Erica at Sew So Crafty April 10, 2013 at 8:03 am #

I've been dying to try flower quilting but have shied away from it … now you've given me a bit of courage! Thanks … and love your blog!

34. Rhona April 10, 2013 at 8:53 am #

Thanks for the little tutorial, that makes sense to me and it's one I'll certainly give a try. Looks like it might be a bit less time consuming than all over crazy stitching 😉

35. Cindy April 10, 2013 at 11:01 am #

This is really cute- thanks for sharing! Always nice to have new designs to try!

36. trish April 10, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Your flowers are adorable and this is a fabulous tutorial. I was curious, do you use the same sewing machine that you sew on? The "neck" on my Janome is on the shorter side. Trish

37. Wanda April 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

These are very cute. I'm going to try them soon. Thanks for showing, fuzzy photo and all. I actually thought the photos were easy to look at and follow.

38. Kelly O. April 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

this is super cute! going to try it today!

39. Grandmasewnsew April 10, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Thank you for making it look easy and giving me a reason to try these- very cute. I'm impressed by your even stitches!

40. CurlyGirlMom April 10, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Thanks for sharing your method. I will definitely have to practice doing this before committing to it on a large quilt. I've always been leery of those curvy lines before. Your little lesson gives me hope that I might be able to duplicate it. :) Thanks again!

41. kathy-o April 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Super cute! You do such a nice job on your domestic machine. Nice even stitches….darling!

42. Ruth S. April 10, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

Thanks for sharing how you made these adorable flowers. I will have to try them.

43. Michele April 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

All it took was a little practice. I'll have to try this one as soon as I get my new-to-me long arm set up in my studio.

44. Judy Deal April 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Love it! Thanks!

45. Floss April 10, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Very cute, I think I may be able to do them.

46. nclauri April 10, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

I had to laugh at your post! I tried these flowers after watching Leah Day and must say my flowers were very similar to your bad flowers!! Thanks for reminding me of this quilting design I am going to practice it.

47. Beth April 11, 2013 at 1:49 am #

Love seeing the first flowers and know that with practice they do get better. No way to improve but to do it on a quilt. Love that design!

48. Denise Russell April 11, 2013 at 3:09 am #

I am so glad I am not the only one who leaves the 'practice' flowers or whatever on the quilt! Yours look wonderful!!!

49. Rebecca Grace April 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

You know, I've seen a couple variations of meandering flower quilting designs, but I like yours the best! They are like lazy daisies. I'm definitely going to try this one! Thanks for sharing. Oh, and BTW, if I unpicked all of my "learning curve" quilting, I'd never get anything finished — AND I would probably be so discouraged and frustrated that I would just give up and crawl into a hole! I'm all for character! :-)

50. Marie April 12, 2013 at 3:56 am #

I love this! I've only done stippling and I think I'll try this next. Getting tired of those squiggles.

51. Rita April 12, 2013 at 7:27 am #

Those fresh flowers look great! You should give yourself a pat on the back :)

52. *~TNH~* April 12, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

Just curious but I'm a beginner quilter. I've read your blog front to back and over again. I love it. Do you have tips to pass along to a beginner you wish that you knew ahead of time?

53. Debbie April 12, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

nice! Thanks for sharing!

54. Shannon April 13, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Thanks for the tute on the flower quilting. I was just thinking I wanted to do something like this on a quilt! Now if only I could remember which quilt!…

55. Christine Welsh April 15, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Very nicely done! Yes…the wonky flowers add character! Ask me how I know! LOL
    ChrisW Designs

56. Anna and Sarah April 16, 2013 at 2:39 am #

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! Allison you did it again!!!! We found your fabric and your new patterns on Windham fabrics. We love you! Can't wait for the blog posts about them! You've been busy <3

Anna and Sarah

57. junacreationsuk.blogspot.co.uk April 16, 2013 at 11:33 am #

I tried out flowers before and they didn't look great, but I like the idea of the figure of eight, it may be an easier way…. I think I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

58. queridocrochet November 7, 2013 at 12:09 am #

Lovely! I will do it!!! Thanks :-)