Triangles for Alexis

I made this quilt for my new niece Alexis.  It looks huge compared to her tininess…but it’s a nice big size she can grow into a bit.   I used the 60 degree ruler by Creative Grids, and started with 6″ strips and scraps.  In all honestly I don’t love sewing with triangles…but I always love the result!
I love adding a really soft backing to baby quilts with a light batting that keeps the quilt warm but not stiff.  I used a little bit of basting spray and pins, then minimally quilted some lines 1/2″ away from the seams.
My 3 year old helped me get photos of this quilt.  His cute little arms could barely hold the quilt up for one second before it got too heavy.
So if you’re in need of a quilt-holder-upper… I’ve got the 3 year old for you…and I’m happy to lend him out.
As long as you stay out of all social situations/grocery stores/Target/church/restaurants/gatherings and stock up on string cheese… he’ll do great.  😉

74 Responses to Triangles for Alexis

1. Kelly April 21, 2013 at 6:02 am #

It's absolutely beautiful!

2. Jen | Acts of Craftiness April 21, 2013 at 6:05 am #

I love it!

Triangle quilts are so pretty. I really need to make one.

3. Glinda ♥ April 21, 2013 at 6:06 am #

I'm not too keen on triangles either but what a stunning look, I may just have to get myself one of those rulers! Oh, and yes please, I'll hire that cute little helper from you :)

4. SuperMomNoCape April 21, 2013 at 6:22 am #

Your triangle quilt is so pretty.

5. Missy Shay April 21, 2013 at 6:44 am #

What a pretty quilt, I really like the colors.

6. allierae April 21, 2013 at 6:46 am #

Very pretty! And I'm happy to see you had much better weather at the tulip festival than we did a few weeks ago.

7. Aunt Spicy April 21, 2013 at 6:47 am #

Adore! And I love the color/fabric combinations! I am super excited, I just bought your suburbs pattern!

8. Atina AlGa April 21, 2013 at 7:32 am #

Gorgeous quilt! Too difficult for me to make though.

9. Sally April 21, 2013 at 8:35 am #

This is lovely! Lucky Alexis! One day I'll try something like this, but for now it's squares and blocks when I patchwork 😉

10. Leigh Anne April 21, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Beautiful quilt!

I love this post for many reasons :) I have a 3 year old of my own whose name happens to be Alexis! And I've got a triangle quilt of my own in the works :)

11. Jeanette April 21, 2013 at 10:50 am #

Love the quilt, but I'm really amazed at the tulips! Mine are just up through the ground and I was thinking how great that was!! That field is in full bloom. What can I say, I live in Nova Scotia, the weather is very slowly warming up.

12. Neicee April 21, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

I just love it..I am also put off by triangles. But I just finished a tumbler quilt and I feel maybe I could move on to trianges…Maybe…

13. Mimi April 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

It's beautiful – I love the soft colours, perfect for a little girl! I really must give triangles a go again because it does look amazing!

14. Colleen April 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

The pic of your three yo with tongue out and captin underneath gave me such a huge smile!

15. Jocelyn April 21, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

It's beautiful! I love how your son's expression totally matches your advertisement for him! :)

16. Phyllis April 21, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

So pretty, lovely colors!

17. Heather April 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Oh man, that quilt is so gorgeous! I would love to sew one of these, but I'm intimidated by the piecing and cutting. I still don't understand how you manage to work with minky on the back! The baby you made this for is a lucky girl!

18. Jilly April 21, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

so pretty! I have my own lovely 3 yr old yo wrangle, thanks!

I'm presently using your hourglass tute to make a baby quilt and its coming together great! thanks for that!

19. Gerri April 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Your quilt is beautiful. I love your son's expression in the picture. He looks like a stinker!

20. Kim's Creations April 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

I love your quilt! Quilting is on my to do list, it is a little intimidating. I would like to make a great big queen size but I will probably start with a baby quilt. Your blog is on my list of blogs, so I can keep getting inspired!

21. Carla April 21, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Very very sweet. Your scraps are pretty together.

22. Rosa April 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Simply beautiful!!

23. Marilyn April 21, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Love the triangle quilt–well worth the effort! Your gallery of finished quilts blew me away. Quite a body of work for one so young.

24. Jenny April 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

It's absolutely beautiful. I would love to try backing with minky, but I'm so nervous to.

25. Rachel April 21, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

26. annie April 21, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

I LOVE the colors you choose for your quilts! You've got a great eye

27. jenni April 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

That is the best picture I have seen of a 3 yr old in a long time!

28. Di~ April 21, 2013 at 6:35 pm #

Love this baby quilt! Pinks are great. I still haven't dared use minkee.
    (spell check won't let me use a y there…)

29. Peggy April 21, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

THREE? 3? How can that be? Seriously…. it hasn't been that long has it. Wow, I didn't realize I had been following your blog that long already. But then the fact that we have been here in Indiana for 3 years still surprises me too.

Love this quilt! In fact this afternoon once I am done "clearing" out my blog reader I am pulling out my sewing machine and doing some crazy quilting. Just sewing pieces together in whatever order I pick them up. It will be a spring throw for our bed (thankfully all the "scraps" coordinate nicely!)… a light little something for when we need a bit more over our feet.

Thank you so very much for sharing!

30. Jenny April 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

Love, love, love it! The color combo of aqua, grey, coral and green is so pretty and sweet and fresh!

31. lindsey April 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Your 3 year old sounds like my 3 year old!!! Exhausting!

32. Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) April 21, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

Your finished quilts page just blew me away. Your work awes me with its creativity and beauty. When do you find the time to do all that sewing !~!

33. The Gaertegang Homestead April 21, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

It's lovely! I love your pic by all the tulips….they r my fav

34. Charity April 21, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

This is beautiful! I love those fabrics, and the binding is perfect.

35. Lex April 21, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

So,cute and girlie,and I'm partial to the name… As I share it

36. wish2stitch April 21, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

Your quit looks so lovely and fresh in those colours. I love snuggly backings on quilts too. I'm sure she'll love it.

37. Cecilia April 22, 2013 at 12:43 am #

I love the look of your quilt and I really want to make one for myself. Your helper is cute too. :-). Thanks for sharing.

38. Seams Sew Together April 22, 2013 at 1:55 am #

Great idea with the minky on the back might have to try this.

39. the girlfriend gap April 22, 2013 at 3:09 am #

Beautiful ! Love the fabrics you used. Lucky baby girl:)
    Thanks for the inspiration. Janita

40. Cindy April 22, 2013 at 3:13 am #

Beautiful quilt- love the colors! Your little guys are adorable!! I really need to try and make one of these! Thanks for sharing!

41. ktquilts April 22, 2013 at 4:32 am #

Such great colors!!! Simply beautiful!!!

42. Chris S April 22, 2013 at 5:18 am #

I just love this, so pretty! I want to make a triangle quilt so bad, I'm worried about piecing properly. Guess I need to look for some tutorials and just tackle one..

43. Terri in BC April 22, 2013 at 5:20 am #

Beautiful quilt and beautiful tulips! I had to check your "About" page, because the scenery in the tulip picture seemed so familiar. No wonder, I drove through that area today on my way back home to Canada! My family and I went to the zoo just south of Everett – very nice!

44. Sheila April 22, 2013 at 5:40 am #

Was the picture taken in Skagit Co, WA?

45. flotsam and jetsam April 22, 2013 at 5:41 am #

Love the triangles.

46. Carie April 22, 2013 at 6:29 am #

It's gorgeous, and all your triangle points line up! Do you have any top tips for triangles or is it just practice?

47. Jeneta April 22, 2013 at 7:02 am #

It's beautiful – what a lucky niece! I had a chuckle when I read your comments about your 3 year old – so funny!

48. Vanessa Swann April 22, 2013 at 7:51 am #

The quilt is beautiful! A dear friend of mine is going through a difficult divorce at the moment so I'm making her a quilt for her new life and what pattern has she chosen – triangles!!!! Wish me luck!!!

49. Vanessa Swann April 22, 2013 at 7:51 am #

50. Cottilello X April 22, 2013 at 9:07 am #

It's very sweet.
    Cottilello x

51. Sarah @ FairyFace Designs April 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

Love the softness of the colours and the backing. Beautiful quilt

52. craftprowler April 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

this is one of my favorite posts of yours. you cover what you enjoyed about the quilt (the final product), what you didn't like (sewing triangles), and a little piece about your three-year-old to make the post more personal. it was a really sweet combination. i loved the photo at the end – the flowers make a great backdrop!

53. Julia April 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Nicely done! What type of batting exactly do you use for baby quilts. I made one and it turned out kinda stiff as I used my regular weight cotton batting. I'd love some advice!

54. Megan April 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Super gorgeous! I'm making a triangle quilt right now and it's not my favorite to sew together, either! I hope you have a great Monday!

55. Anne April 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

A very sweet baby quilt. Looks soft and cozy. What type of light batting did you use? Love the look of your quilts age too. Is it hard to create the grid look of all the pictures? I really like it.

56. Kellie April 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Allison…. did you use batting in this one or just the minky backing? You drive me nuts cause every time I think I have found the next quilt pattern for my Natey… you then post something adorable that makes me second guess myself…. blah!

57. Anna April 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

love the triangles and such pretty colors! I love quilts with soft backs, my kids won't touch ones without. And those tulips!!! seriously, send them my way.

58. Emarie21 April 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. The quilt is beautiful, the photo is priceless (our just turned 4 & 5 so I'm right there with you).
    We've been buried under snow & more snow in MN. Your photos bring a sense of joy. Your quilts & blog are my inspiration for my venture into quilting. I've learned so much from your posts. Thank you!

59. life in red shoes April 22, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

Love love love the quilt, just finished 2 for my new little grands, twins :)
    Your little guy looks like he keeps you on your toes, such a cute family.
    And the tulips! Are you in Washington?

60. Susan Jonsson April 22, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

I thought the tulip fields looked familiar….I live in Kirkland, wa…Glad to know you live fairly close! Love your latest quilt…You inspired my first ever baby quilt…and now a second one. Thanks so much for all the sharing you do. I visit daily… I raised 2 very active boys….I am pretty sure I get how busy you are!

61. Arabella April 22, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

Totoally gorgeous! I love this one! You always choose the best fabric combinations! Adorable kids too!

62. Wanda April 23, 2013 at 11:28 am #

The quilt is so sweet. Just love the face in the photo!

63. Alex Duenkel April 23, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Simply beautiful, like everything you do!
    Any special tricks to get those triangles lined up perfectly? I tried last night to piece two rows and they are a little wonky…
    Thanks for sharing!

64. LJ April 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

I love the quilt and I love your pics with the tulips!

65. Helen L April 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

Such a pretty quilt!! And I love your quilt photo helper: so cute!! And I love your comments about him: LOL!! Mine are too old to make noise in church (phew!!) I made a triangle quilt for my nephew about 3 yrs ago and seeing this one reminded me of it.

66. Helen L April 23, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

I forgot to add: thanks for sharing your photo with the tulips: so pretty, and I love that you and the boys are in it.
    Also, here's a link to the triangle quilt I made for my nephew:
    Seeing your triangle quilt for your niece reminded me of the one I made> Have a great week!!

67. Jacqueline April 24, 2013 at 4:52 am #

Beautiful quilt, I love triangles but haven't attempted them yet!

Your 3 y.o. looks like he is Mr Personality!! :-)

68. Sarah April 24, 2013 at 11:39 am #

The quilt is very pretty. So your three year old is the one being a dork in the pic? Sounds like a typical boy with typical dislikes, sitting still, being quiet! Bring on preschool!

69. Cindy April 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Love your triangle quilt.
    I know where you are at the bottom picture…..LaConner. I miss living in the NW around the tulip festival season.

70. Unknown February 11, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

When you joined your triangles, did you press the seams to one side before you added the next triangle?

Beautiful quilt. Beautiful family.

71. allison February 11, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Hi Linda! No I didn't press after adding each triangle…I sewed the triangles into rows and then pressed.

72. Unknown February 11, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

Hi Allison,
    Maybe I am missing something. I am not having any trouble joining the triangles, however when the directions say to press the seams of each row in opposite directions, I have trouble. When I join the triangles to each other I am sewing over the previous seam at the point. I guess I just don't know which way to push the previous seam before I sew over. I think I need to practice more. Otherwise my points are coming out great and everything looks good. A little hard to explain. Thanks,

73. allison February 11, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

I know what you mean Linda…you will sew over the previous points…and I just slightly "pressed" them open with my fingers as I sewed. You can sew them together into pairs, then press the pairs, then sew them into rows that way if it's easier…and you might get nicer points that way too! :)

74. Andrea August 24, 2015 at 2:28 am #

Such a pretty quillt. I’m loving it. Best wishes from germany