Churn Dash Block

I knew I wouldn’t have time to make a real pattern with yardage requirements and everything…so this will have to do for now!  This is a fun quilt to make…chain piece everything and you can whip up a stack of blocks quick-ish. 😉
This tutorial makes a 9″ finished block (9 1/2″ unfinished).
You’ll need:
1 – 3 1/2″ square (the blue fabric)
2 – 3 7/8″ squares print fabric (orange fabric)
2 – 3 7/8″ squares white fabric
1 – 2″ x 15″ strip of print fabric
1 – 2″ x 15″ strip of white fabric

1.  Draw a diagonal pencil line from corner to corner on each white square.  Place the white squares and print squares right sides together, sew a scant 1/4″ on each side of the pencil line, cut down the pencil line, and press towards the print fabric.  That was a mouthful…here’s a better look at making half square triangles if your brand new to it.
When your done you should have four half square triangles that measure 3 1/2″ each.

2.  Sew the 2″ strips together, press towards the print fabric.  Here’s a look at your pieces so far:

3.  Cut the strip until into four squares 3 1/2″ each.

4.  Layout your pieces into the block.  Sew the pieces into 3 rows.  Press top and bottom row seams towards the center unit, and the center row seams towards the outer units.

5.  Press the block well, it should measure 9 1/2″.

Happy Churn Dashing!  A better look at my whole quilt top can be found here.

28 Responses to Churn Dash Block

1. Sarina October 8, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

I love this block – it looks great in all sizes. Thanks for the tutorial.

2. Grandma Ruthie October 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

Thank you for the tutorial. Have a baby quilt to make soon for a friend. This would be just the block to use!

3. Queenie Believe October 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Lovely tutorial.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

4. pcflamingo October 8, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

What nice clear instructions! I wish I had them when I was making this as a baby quilt for a friend. For the center square I used some of my vast collection of cow prints (don't ask why – I don't know).

So the name of the quilt was The Cows Came Home Through The Hole in The Barn Door because I was told that was another name for the block – Hole In The Barn Door.

5. Denise Briese October 8, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

I Heart You!

6. akainik October 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

I love the churn dash block. I have a WIP with that!

7. Scott and Em Hoffman October 8, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

Thank you, thank you!

8. Agulhas, Colheres e Afins October 8, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Perfeitao tutorial, amei!!!

9. trish October 9, 2013 at 12:14 am #

Fabulous tutorial!! :0)

10. Lesley October 9, 2013 at 12:21 am #

Thank you for the churn dash tutorial! Hope to make this some day soon!

11. Debbie October 9, 2013 at 12:41 am #

Love the quilt! Thanks for the tutorial!

12. Susie October 9, 2013 at 1:53 am #

Often wondered how these were done. Great Tute. Thanks.

13. Mary Burnette October 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

I love your tutorial. Can you possible send me a PDF format that is printer friendly. I would love to save it and make after I finish the two projects I am working on now. Also can you tell me how to make the block smaller? (is there a calculation formula like to make 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 inch blocks)I thought about alternating large and small blocks and filling in with other fabrics.

14. Helen L October 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

What a week for you: first the Aurifil article and now you're on the Fat Quarter Shop's blog!! Happy Days!! :-) I love your fabric and have some stowed away in my cart!! I've been waiting for it and am so glad to see it out now! Have a great day!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

15. filosofiabotequim October 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

What a beautiful and well-made tutorial. I haven’t begum my first quilt; I’m still in research mode. Thank you, you’re and inspiration.

16. jenni October 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Oh I just love that you did this for me! I am new to quilting and want to try all the blocks and you have done all the math for me! Thank you thank you!

17. Lynne Shandley October 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Thanks for the tute! You make it look easy :-)

18. Glynis October 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

My 19 yo dtr saw this quilt and thought it looks so trendy for a traditional block. She also is in drool over your bunnies. She tracked back through your blog for all the bunny pics. Thanks for sharing the joy! Have a blast!

19. Missy Shay October 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

What a great tute, thanks! What size did you make your quilt and how many blocks did you need?

20. Judith Blinkenberg October 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

Thank you, Thank you, Allison. I will start with a fat eighth or a layer cake and a charm pack of your new line. It may be a while because we plan to move, but when I finish it I will send you a picture.

21. StubbsFamily October 10, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

You had me at quick-ISH!!

22. Ilona Katalin October 11, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I just loved finding your beautiful work!! and shared this idea on my page…loved it!!

23. Elizabeth Matly October 11, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Omg you are awesome!!!!! I have been wanting to do this pattern forever!!! I am a beginner and mostly self taught so HST's still intimidate the crap out of me lol. I am so stoked. Thanks so much for sharing!

24. Kelsey October 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

This is such an adorable quilt! And a great tutorial as well :)

25. Franziska October 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

thank you!

26. Catherine January 16, 2015 at 4:45 am #

I love this block – am in the midst of planning out a quilt for my son's twin bed using this tutorial, and doing it 7×9 squares. Do you have any idea of the yardage you used for the background of this one? I know yours is smaller than what I'm planning, but if I could not start totally from scratch figuring that part out, that would rock. Thank you!!!

27. allison January 16, 2015 at 11:50 pm #

Hi Catherine! I don't have the exact yardage for the backing and I can't remember if I ever even figured it out! I would guess 4 yards though…that's usually about right for the background on a twin size. Sorry!

28. Catherine January 17, 2015 at 12:28 am #

Awesome – thank you! We live a solid half hour from the nearest fabric store, so planning one trip is somewhat intense, let alone thinking of going back. 😉