Some Coins

I haven’t made a coin quilt since 2008!  It’s the pattern that got me truly stuck on quilting.
Back then I had 1 baby that slept most of the day…now I have 3 big babies and I want to sleep most the day!  Crazy how fast time flies.
I went with a semi-fall palette for this one.  I sewed it together randomly without looking at placement at all…and it’s funny how many of the same fabrics ended up right next to each other…oh well.  🙂

21 Responses to Some Coins

1. margaret September 23, 2014 at 8:28 am #

Your hands are certainly full with 3 little ones but I can imagine the joy that they bring.I do like this pattern, brain into gear thinking I have a cot quilt to make for a great niece or nephew due any day now (the first cot quilt I have attempted) and think this would be nice to do in assorted kids fabrics, please can you share the sizes of the strips will look on line but not too at at this computer business

2. Susanne vb September 23, 2014 at 10:12 am #

I took a coin quilt class from Gwen Marston YEARS ago…and she had us place the coins in a paper bag so that we could pull the coins out blindly. The only decision we were allowed to make was which end of the strip to sew it to. It was so freeing!! My very first introduction to 'it's OK to break the rules' ever since that class I have always loved coin quilts. Good job you. 🙂

3. Jean Burke September 23, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

So pretty! Thanks for sharing….

4. Melissa Corry September 23, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

I love coin quilts as well 😉 Especially when you make them totally random, so fun!! I love the color palette you you made 😉

5. Lana September 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

Congratulations Lori H! You will love it! And I LOVE THAT COIN Quilt top!!!
    No wonder this made you fall in love with quilting…

6. Sue G September 23, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

You did a fabulous job on this quilt. Love the colours. 🙂

7. Anne September 23, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

"… Oh well …. " I love your attitude. No sense in sweating the small stuff. A quick finish is so satisfying!

8. A Quilter's Mission September 24, 2014 at 4:33 am #

This is so pretty! The colors are fun. I love randomly placed squares.

9. Charlotta September 24, 2014 at 5:29 am #

So you cut all the "coins" and then sewed them together randomly one row at a time?
    I read the other comments, I LOVE Gwen Marston and I LOVE the rules she made for her class. I'm thinking I might be ready to make a quilt using just those rules.
    What are the dimensions of the coins in this quilt, please?

10. Judith Blinkenberg September 24, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

It's wonderful! I've never made one. I love your piece about wanting to sleep all day. When you get to 66 you will want that kids' energy and not be able to find it!! Thanks for the reminder to make this pattern!

11. Chez Vies September 24, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

Beautiful quilt. A good way to use up all my scraps

12. ✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ September 25, 2014 at 7:03 pm #

Beautiful quilt too! Even when I pay attention to where the colors are I *always* end up with the same one side by side at least once, lol!!!! I think it looks gorgeous and unique!

13. Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books September 26, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

Your new quilt is so pretty! =)

14. amandajean September 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

I have three big kids and I want to sleep all day, too. Hahaha! your coin quilt is just lovely! it's fun to revisit an old favorite every once in awhile, isn't it?

15. Susan September 30, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

Love your honesty – kids, they drive us crazy, but we love them anyway! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us with your lovely things!

16. allison September 30, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

The "coins" are 3" x 5 1/2" for those that asked! 🙂

17. the quilted fox October 3, 2014 at 3:50 am #

I love how those C+S prints (especially the purple) drew my eyes diagonally down the quilt. Usually coin quilts don't do that for me. Very nice!

18. adaliza.com October 6, 2014 at 7:19 am #

Such a pretty quilt – lovely colours, proper Autumnal late summer – you've captured it all. I made a huge quilt last year and had to divide up 16-square blocks to put it together and I was amazed how many time I repeated bits entirely by accident. Some fabrics must just love each other! Well done, you certainly have your hands full. I wasn't quilting when our 3 were babies – now they're big babies (all in their 20's) – happy days!

19. Mirta Reyes October 9, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

October 9,2014 Im missing your blogs it been a while. Im waiting.I love your quilts and ideas.

20. Mirta Reyes October 9, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

21. Robin October 15, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

Coin quilts are so happy! Love it. It is crazy how time flies by, isn't it? 🙂