Summer Lucky

Are you melting where you are?  We are melting, but I sure love this hot weather in Seattle.  It’s funny how we complain when we don’t have the sun, and we complain when we have too much sun…or maybe that’s just me?   Yep, definitely me.

When it cooled off in my sewing room I finished up this top, a crib size made from my Lucky pattern.

The original pattern has an all white background, but with this one I used various neutral prints and it makes a great secondary zig zag pattern.  Wouldn’t it be cool to make the background bright and the blocks neutral?  Adding it to my mental to-sew list that I’ll never actually make.

Last night I stayed up late making a flag block for no reason.  For a split second I thought about attempting a flag quilt, but now I’m thinking a pillow for my porch sounds much better (and easier).  Stay cool!

30 Responses to Summer Lucky

1. Judy July 1, 2015 at 7:21 am #

How did you quilt your top here? I see some lines. Did you do that all over? I'm having a hard time with white backgrounds and pretty squares. Your Wallflowers quilt is an example. I ended up doing some quilt in a ditch and then did some machine embroidery in some of the white spaces. I'm going to get a long arm I guess. I love the process of sewing but the quilting is a challenge. I love your patterns and will buy this one soon. Thank you for your wonderful patterns.

2. allison July 1, 2015 at 7:35 am #

This is just the quilt top Judy…not quilted yet! I agree figuring out what to do for the quilting can be tricky! -Allison

3. snapdragonstudios July 1, 2015 at 11:28 am #

I love your flag block! Totally adorable. Happy 4th of July! 🙂

4. FLR July 1, 2015 at 11:38 am #

Hi Allison!
    Love this quilttop! Thank you! I´ve send a link to all my quilting friends that make quilts for children in hospitals and they like is too 🙂
    groetjes
    from
    Francisca

5. Donna July 1, 2015 at 12:29 pm #

Allison. I wish you could put you creativity in a pill and give it out to all of us who love your work! I have followed you from your early days and everything you do is so beautiful! And inspiring! I can't wait to make this quilt ! Thanks so much for taking rather time out of your busy life to share your work! And being a grandmother I have to add…your children are adorable ! Happy summer sewing! Come to NC sometime!

6. christinepaul July 1, 2015 at 12:32 pm #

You do great work. Love both pieces!

7. Hedy Hahn July 1, 2015 at 1:11 pm #

I love that flag block ! I think I will make one too.

8. evelyn July 1, 2015 at 1:21 pm #

I love your crib quilt!
    Complaining about the weather? NO, it isn't just you, it is a great way to vent and harms no one!

9. Carol July 1, 2015 at 2:40 pm #

I love the flag block. Is there any way you can do a tutorial or pattern or tell me where you got your pattern from.
    Thanks.

10. Needled Mom July 1, 2015 at 2:44 pm #

That is a beautiful top and the flag is great too.

11. ~Diana July 1, 2015 at 3:48 pm #

Sometimes we just need to make something! Love 'em both!

12. allison July 1, 2015 at 4:41 pm #

Yes Carol I'll share my flag block measurements! Look for it in a day or so on the blog! 🙂 -Allison

13. maguida July 1, 2015 at 4:48 pm #

Fantastic

14. Sew Stitching Cute July 1, 2015 at 6:30 pm #

I love this pattern and it looks super happy and fun! This would be way cute for fussy cutting too!

15. Helen L July 1, 2015 at 8:18 pm #

Yay! I was just thinking it would be nice if we knew what size the pieces to the flag block were! 🙂 I love both quilts, and I think your idea of doing the background in darks to make a zig zag is a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!! Hugs, H

16. Sarah Fredette July 1, 2015 at 9:57 pm #

Very cute quilt top! And yes, I'm melting too… humidity just kills me. 😀 (Psst – your flag is wrong. The first stripe under the blue should be white, not red. Just the military in me coming out though… it is adorable 🙂

17. allison July 1, 2015 at 10:23 pm #

Ha ha Sarah I was waiting for someone to say that…it's the only way it worked out so red it is! 😉 -Allison

18. Lois July 1, 2015 at 10:58 pm #

I love your quilt – beautiful colours. We are going to be in Seattle next month so I hope it won't be too hot – coming from winter down here:))

19. margaret July 2, 2015 at 5:45 am #

two very nice projects. Here in the UK we are at last having some hot weather I love it! no doubt it will not last long

20. Charlotta July 2, 2015 at 6:56 am #

Very nice top! Isn't it amazing how nice something so very simple can be? Those very basic blocks – I'm not even sure what to call them, square in a square? Or courthouse steps? – and a neutral background. It doesn't get much simpler than that. I'm really finding myself very drawn to the "modern" neutral backgrounds, especially the ones which are actually scrappy like yours is here. Just love that. I made a very similar quilt myself recently, but didn't set my blocks on point.. And I'm already trying to figure out when and how I'll make my next one! Might very well end up doing it with one of your patterns!

21. Leilani Speck July 2, 2015 at 12:36 pm #

Beautiful quilt top and flag block. Thank you for sharing your talents with those of use whose talent is in borrowing the patterns and tutorials of others. Not everyone can do that, so I'm happy that you can!

22. Always In Stitches July 2, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

Love the crib quilt. Great colors. Here in WI we are experiencing rather unusual cool temps. Mornings are 45° and highs of 75°. Brrr.

23. kathy-o July 2, 2015 at 2:17 pm #

Love "Summer Lucky" – especially the variety of the backgrounds. I have scads of them….this is a perfect excuse to start using them. And that flag top…..very cute! Happy 4th!

24. Lesley Gilbert July 2, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

Love your flag block – I wanted to make a small one for a friend in USA and now I know what style to do – thanks 🙂

25. magistra July 2, 2015 at 7:11 pm #

I love your quilt! I think the colors are really striking and gorgeous and I love the interest that the variety of the low volume fabrics in the background provide.
    And this is me complaining about the weather. By the way, I live somewhere fairly close to you.
    Let's move out of Texas we said. We can finally move to the beautiful Pacific Northwest we said. We'll get out of this H-hole heat we said. It will be fun! we said. Hahaha! Our friends could say. You did move out! But it wasn't out of the heat.You moved out of the air conditioning!
    Sigh. My husband and I applaud the intelligence and kind heart of our new state except in this one area. No air conditioning. Arrrgh! It's torture!
    How's that for complaining? 🙂

26. Shayla Sharp July 3, 2015 at 12:21 am #

I'm down here near Portland, so I know exactly what you mean about the weather–maybe its the humidity that comes with the heat, yuck! The quilt is lovely, soft but summery sherbets. I'm loving all these quilts using low volume prints, I've got to get me some and make one!

27. Anna July 3, 2015 at 10:26 pm #

I love it!!!
    Anna

28. Annette August 8, 2015 at 5:43 am #

Hello from Melbourne, Australia……….we are freezing, August has started as the coldest since August 1945! July was very wet as well as cold, many mornings have been below freezing with snow on the oulying areas. Quilts are on the beds & over the knees while sitting. Roll on summer! Take care, Annette xx

29. Carol August 8, 2015 at 11:11 am #

That’s so beautiful.
    I love the fabrics you choose.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Summer Lucky Finished | Cluck Cluck Sew - March 3, 2016

[…] I do that, I’ve vowed to finish up some oldies hanging in my closet.  First up was this Summer Lucky quilt. […]