Gingham Coral Quilt Top

Gingham Coral Quilt Top

This quilt caused quite the quandary…is it Gingham, or is it Buffalo Check??!  Oiy.  I wasted a good 15 minutes of my life with my good friend Google trying to figure it out.

In the end all I found out was Buffalo Check was a bigger version of Gingham…so I’m calling this quilt pattern Gingham because it sounds cuter than Buffalo Check.

Gingham Coral Quilt

Eventually the baby will share a room with Sophie, so I stuck with coral colors that match the quilt I made for Sophie’s bed .   I picked my solids first since they are the majority of the quilt, and sprinkled in a few prints here and there.

This little quilt measures 38 1/2″ x 45 1/2″, and I cut my squares 4″.

If you want to make a Gingham baby quilt like this you’ll need 143 – 4″ squares (42 dark squares, 71 light squares, and 30 white squares).

Thanks for all the input on my gray walls in my last post.…you were almost exactly half and half!

My husband saw my post and let me know I’m prohibited from painting anything until I’m out of my crazy-pregnant-lady-nesting faze.

He’s a smart man…and I think he suspects he’d be the one painting (which is true).  😉

52 Responses to Gingham Coral Quilt Top

1. Melody A. March 16, 2016 at 4:17 pm #

cute cute quilt, and a very wise husband.

2. Deonn March 16, 2016 at 4:33 pm #

Oh, that is so adorable – love it with the prints sprinkled in the solids. A (ahem) “buffalo” check gingham has been on my to do list… Sweet!

3. Kelli March 16, 2016 at 4:54 pm #

A gingham quilt is on my list! I like that you used a variety of prints in your differing shades of pink. So creative! Thanks for the tutorial. 🙂

• Allison March 17, 2016 at 10:00 am #

Thanks Kelli! I was worried the prints would take away from the gingham pattern…but they’re small enough I think it works! At least from a distance. 😉

4. Masha March 16, 2016 at 6:25 pm #

I love this so much! I have actually wondered about Buffalo check vs gingham myself – I thought maybe the buffalo was for larger scale ginghams? Anyway, love your blog – I just sewed my first ever quilt and it was your Strip and Flip!

• Allison March 17, 2016 at 10:01 am #

Yep I think you’re right…I think this would actually be a buffalo check….but then again I’m not sure at all. Who knows! 🙂

5. Terry March 16, 2016 at 7:41 pm #

very cute little quilt

6. Elaine March 16, 2016 at 7:59 pm #

Would love to make this quilt for a friend having a baby girl in May. Would you mind sharing not the solids colors that you used?

• Allison March 17, 2016 at 10:07 am #

The darker coral color is Bella Solid by Moda in Tea Rose I believe…it’s one of my favorite colors I’ve had for awhile (I also like just the rose color). The salmon color is a Cotton and Steel solid called Salmon. Moda also makes a nice light coral but I don’t remember the color name sorry!

• Elaine March 18, 2016 at 11:53 am #

Thank you! Love this quilt!!!

7. Paige March 16, 2016 at 8:58 pm #

I’ve learned something new…I didn’t know what Buffalo check was. It’s beautiful!

8. Helen LeBrett March 16, 2016 at 11:23 pm #

Beautiful quilt, and I think it’s a perfect color (salmon/peach/oranges are my favorites!) 🙂 I’ve never herd (was going to change that typo, but decided that it was perfect, considering the subject) of buffalo check before, so I learned something new today! 🙂 And I think your hubby is very wise, and I love the grey. I’m going to be doing it the next time I paint. I saw it in my neighbors house and it is just lovely! Hope you are feeling well: when is the baby due? Hugs, H

• Allison March 17, 2016 at 10:08 am #

Thanks Helen! Baby is due May 23rd but I’m measuring ahead of schedule…so I’m crossing my fingers she’ll be just a bit on the early side like my others were. Just because I say that she’ll probably be 2 weeks late. 😉

9. Deb Cox March 16, 2016 at 11:51 pm #

Dear Allison, Your gingham quilt is absolutely lovely. What a brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing it with us. Also, congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family. Best wishes the future.

• Allison March 17, 2016 at 10:09 am #

Thank you Deb! Have a wonderful day!

10. divamomcarol March 17, 2016 at 4:23 am #

Please use your signature aqua in the binding, love! So so sweet.
    I missed that wall color…repeat please? Thanks.

• Allison March 17, 2016 at 10:09 am #

I actually don’t know the color it was painted when we moved in…and the only room I didn’t repaint! My Mom color matched it a couple of years ago…I’ll pick her brain and see if she remembers. 🙂

11. Little Quiltsong March 17, 2016 at 4:43 am #

Gingham always leaves me with a warm, cozy and homey feeling! Love your coral baby quilt for your ‘new’ addition :)!

12. Candy March 17, 2016 at 5:30 am #

Love this quilt and your coral fabrics! So sweet for your daughter and so nice it’s not the usual pink.

13. Christine March 17, 2016 at 5:33 am #

So cute! I love it!

14. Patricia Cash March 17, 2016 at 5:52 am #

Cute, the print squares set it off. Husbands are dear!

15. kathy o March 17, 2016 at 6:23 am #

Love the simplicity of this darling little quilt – especially your color choice. Jay is a good man!

16. Phoebe Ingraham March 17, 2016 at 6:25 am #

I love the gingham and the use of small prints gives this a very special, personal touch. Thanks for the measurements and numbers of each color. As a novice, this really helps to get a feel for “how much makes what size” in general. For your future painting decisions, I love your gray walls! We recently moved and I used Valspar Gravity (a light gray) in my family room that flows to my kitchen/breakfast dining that we (meaning my husband) painted in Glacier Mist. The blue brings out the gray, even though it is a lighter shade. I love it! Very peaceful and it goes with everything! Congratulations, and happy times with your new baby! Such a sweet mom to make your older son a new quilt before starting this one for the newest addition to your family!

17. Colleen March 17, 2016 at 6:28 am #

I love what you have done with the prints and the colour ! subtle and beautiful
    you da man, errrr, woman, artist, creative genius !!!!

18. jesusknowsmyname March 17, 2016 at 7:14 am #

That is a cute quilt. There is nothing that brings my husband to his knees faster than me announcing I’m thinking of repainting a room. Thing is, I’m the one who does the painting, so I have no idea why he would stress. He always says, “It’s fine just the way it is!”

19. Linda Smith March 17, 2016 at 7:23 am #

Why, oh why are there so many cute quilt ideas out there? My head spins with the possibilities. This one is Brilliant. Lucky baby!

20. Lara B. March 17, 2016 at 7:45 am #

This is the sweetest color and fabric combination Allison! It looks wonderful with the solids and scattering of prints. Gingham does sound better than Buffalo check and I say that as a Buffalo NY gal.

• Allison March 17, 2016 at 10:11 am #

Haha I think so too Lara…but maybe in cute boy colors I’ll call it a buffalo check! 😉

21. happyquiltingmelissa March 17, 2016 at 7:58 am #

So adorable!!! What a perfect little quilt 😉

22. Jean March 17, 2016 at 8:33 am #

Your quilt is just yummy. So simple and quick, but the colors are beautifully put together. I can relate to the “crazy pregnant” label. When I was carrying my firstborn, I painted my bathroom “Pepto Bismol Pink” and called it “Pink Canada Mint”. It changed shortly after my son was born LOL.

• Allison March 17, 2016 at 10:12 am #

Lol Jean…I’ve done that a couple of times too…always when pregnant. It’s weird that my husband won’t let me paint while pregnant anymore. 😉

23. cindy-liveacolorfullife March 17, 2016 at 12:34 pm #

No matter what you name it, it’s such a beautiful color!

24. Gretchen March 17, 2016 at 4:40 pm #

So cute. I may have to give this a try!

25. Jamie March 18, 2016 at 4:28 am #

So sweet!!! Thanks for sharing how you made it too!

26. Thea March 19, 2016 at 9:56 am #

love the gingham quilt!

27. Rosemaryflower March 19, 2016 at 2:12 pm #

Totally NOT BUFFalo. ahaha
    I want to make this. It is reallly cute.
    Thanks for sharing the adorable Gingham Coral Quilt!! 🙂

28. Rachel at StitchedinColor March 19, 2016 at 6:33 pm #

Oh, that is so cute! I want to make one.

29. foxfavorites March 24, 2016 at 8:03 pm #

Ahhhhh!! I adore this!!! Hope you are getting enough Easter candy…

30. Dana Henry-Harris March 27, 2016 at 11:59 am #

Congrats on your pregnancy. How wonderful that your having a little girl. Cant what to see the newborn pictures. When are you due?

31. Rebecca Grace March 29, 2016 at 7:24 am #

I love how you mixed in just a few sweet prints. Very sweet baby quilt and CONGRATULATIONS on your growing family!

32. Alexis April 1, 2016 at 1:45 pm #

this is super adorable with the prints mixed in

33. jcrafter April 4, 2016 at 10:52 am #

Super cute!

34. Judith Flynn April 11, 2016 at 8:55 pm #

Hello, love the sweet baby quilt. Especially love the print fabric(s). Would you share the name of the fabric.

• Allison April 11, 2016 at 9:40 pm #

Hi Judith! The ballerina print is by Heather Ross from a line called Tiger Lily. The one with the tiny kids and balloons is a Cotton and Steel print called Penny Arcade I believe. The light coral floral (outlined white flowers) is my own fabric from my Hazel line for Windham Fabrics, the light coral sprinkle print is from Cotton and Steel sprinkle line (purchased at along with most of these). I can’t recall the others!

35. Elkie Lonnkvist June 9, 2016 at 11:57 pm #

Absolutely beautiful. I’d love to make this as im expecting my 4th baby in September!! I’m quite new to quilting and find it helps to know quantity, just wondered how many fat quarters of dark/light/white I would need to make it?? Thanks and good luck for may!!😂

36. Corie Greene June 10, 2016 at 10:15 am #

Oh I just love this! love the simplicity of it….and even more adorable snuggling your beautiful baby Jane…and you are right …the most heavenly smell of all….I made a similar peach/pink quilt in pinwheels and loved it so much that I’ve wanted to remake…but I love this just as much and so I will give this one a try. I think I will call mine Buffy Peach Baby Quilt, (buffy after the buffalo!). Thanks so much for this tutorial…! Glad to see you and baby are doing well….:)

37. Ana from The Lost Apron August 25, 2016 at 9:03 am #

This is so cute. I absolutely love this. I like the way you included some prints. I have pinned this to my Gingham Pinterest board.

38. Gailete October 2, 2016 at 10:42 am #

Love this quilt! I’ve pinned it so I won’t forget it as a possibility for a Project Linus Quilt!

1. CraftCrave | DigiFree | CraftCrave - March 17, 2016

[…] Gingham Coral Quilt Top – 1 freebie(s)? […]

2. Gingham Quilt Pattern - Makers Bakers Movers & Shakers - May 9, 2016

[…] For full post click here. […]

3. Finished Gingham Coral Quilt | Cluck Cluck Sew - June 9, 2016

[…] I finished up this quilt a few weeks before Jane was born.  It is so so so soft and the best weight…even though she won’t need it much this summer, it’s a perfect size to grow with her through the fall and winter.  Size and quilt top info can be found in this post.  […]