Pumpkins

Pumpkin Quilt Pattern

Have you ever started reading a good book and you neglect everything else in your life until it’s finished???

That was this quilt.  I fed my family waffles and eggs for dinner until it was done and literally did nothing else but sew during every baby sleeping time.

Pumpkin Quilt Pattern

I wanted to make a pumpkin quilt, but not a Halloween quilt…more like something I could leave out until Christmas.  So my pumpkin quilt was designed, pieced, and finished within just a few days.

I told you…waffles and eggs…I couldn’t stop with the pumpkin quilt!

Pumpkin Quilt Pattern

Pumpkin Quilt Pattern

I’m pretty in love with it.

I used a Moda Crossweave for the background.  It was my first time using the crossweave as a sashing…and honestly I wouldn’t recommend it even though it’s beautiful.  It’s a bit stretchy…and getting everything lined up and perfect made me a bit nutso.  Instead I would use a cotton with a linen look, and save the cross weave for smaller areas.

I’ll link to the fabrics I used at the bottom of this post.

Pumpkin Quilt Pattern

I used this 108″ backing.  Isn’t it perfect for a fall-ish Thanksgiving quilt?!   I quilted it myself with a gray thread to match the background.

Pumpkin Quilt Pattern

Wilson (the cat) isn’t allowed inside the main area of our home because my son is allergic…but he snuck in yesterday morning and I found him in the afternoon cuddled up asleep on the pumpkin quilt.  Obviously I couldn’t wake him up…just look at that fuzzy sweet face!

Pumpkin Quilt Pattern

There are oodles of pumpkin patterns and blocks out there already, so I debated whether or not to write this up, but I did it anyways…mostly for my Mom (she made the cutest pumpkin pillow to go with it!).

The pattern is in my shop here as a PDF, or here as a paper pattern (pre-order).

Pumpkin Quilt Pattern

This is the last of my new patterns…so thank you for bearing with me while I share them and overload you with pictures!

Here are links to the fabrics I used in this quilt:

Oranges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, and the others were from my stash (the floral is from Fig Tree quilts Farmhouse collection, the orange Pez print is hard to find but by American Jane for Moda, the light/white orange is Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander).  Fat Quarter Shop also made a great bundle of oranges for this quilt you can find here.

Green (leaves and binding)

Brown

Background

Backing

Have a great weekend!

75 Responses to Pumpkins

1. Kellie September 16, 2016 at 10:41 pm #

OMG I love this quilt! Stop making such cute patterns! Now I have to order more!

• Allison Harris September 16, 2016 at 10:43 pm #

Lol…I’m SO sorry! 😉 Cause we all need ONE more thing to do this fall right?

2. Paige September 16, 2016 at 10:48 pm #

What a great fall quilt! Congrats on a new pattern! Nothing wrong with eggs and waffles either!

3. Stacy September 16, 2016 at 10:50 pm #

So glad you decided to write up this pattern. I love that it’s not Halloween specific and your fabric choices are wonderful.

4. pamelajs56 September 16, 2016 at 10:57 pm #

I adore it!

5. quiltgranny September 17, 2016 at 2:50 am #

I think this quilt is adorable. I may have to get the pattern and put together a throw quilt….before the end of October….too late for Thanksgiving….perhaps in time for next Thanksgiving. I’M GOING SHOPPING!

6. Janis Altomare September 17, 2016 at 3:49 am #

This is a great fall quilt. Love the pumpkins.

7. Sandy Trachsel September 17, 2016 at 3:54 am #

This is just about the cutest quilt I have ever seen!

8. Lee September 17, 2016 at 4:17 am #

I am in love with you new pattern!!

9. Candy Radford September 17, 2016 at 7:09 am #

I LOVE this pattern! I must stop everything and make it this weekend!

10. Machelle September 17, 2016 at 7:14 am #

Just darling!

11. Karen Matta September 17, 2016 at 7:24 am #

Just love this pattern! I like that it’s a fall theme, but not a Halloween theme. Can’t wait to pick fabrics from my stash to use. Thank you.

12. Jen September 17, 2016 at 7:42 am #

I’m in love! Thanks for publishing the pattern. I appreciate that it’s not Halloween for the reasons you stated. Can’t wait to make it. But, first I need to finish the holiday gifts and get them off to the quilter!

13. Vicki W. September 17, 2016 at 8:23 am #

Oh, I love all these pumpkins! I too like that it’s pumpkins but not just for Halloween. Soon as I get a chance I’ll have to poke around and check for oranges in my stash and scraps … Because I really need to start a new project. Ha. Ha. Ha.

• Allison September 17, 2016 at 8:37 am #

Lol don’t we all need ONE more project? 😉

14. Little Quiltsong September 17, 2016 at 9:40 am #

I love this Allison!! I love my fall and love decorating for it. This is an awesome quilt for the fall decor!

15. Diane W September 17, 2016 at 10:16 am #

Ahhh!!!! Another neat pattern! I LOVE that its not just for Halloween! Im not a fan of scary, gory, bloody halloween stuff! Just the cutsie kid friendly stuff. Well done! I think i NEED it! (For next year!!)

16. Ashley Pickrell September 17, 2016 at 10:32 am #

Love this quilt! I’m like you, I like quilts that are seasonal rather than just for one holiday. After all, we put so much work into it why display it for only a week? 😉 I came across the same issues when I used Quilter’s Linen by Robert Kaufman for a quilt, too stretchy and such a pain to line up for the blocks and sashing. I found that if I starched the fabric prior to cutting it made it so much easier to work with.

17. Little Black Cat Quilting September 17, 2016 at 10:43 am #

I absolutely love this, so cute! I don’t have any holiday quilts right now but I would love to have a few in rotation. Definitely remembering this pattern for when I can get some pumpkin colored fabrics! 😊

18. Adana September 17, 2016 at 11:01 am #

Love, love, love it! It took me about two seconds to buy it yesterday after I saw it on Instagram. It might NEED to happen right away. Glad you decided to publish it so I didn’t have to figure it out myself.

19. thecozypumpkin September 17, 2016 at 12:09 pm #

OMG! This is exactly what I need in my studio!!! Seriously! And I don’t have time for this cuteness right now. There are costumes to make, lady! 😉

• Allison September 17, 2016 at 4:53 pm #

Oh man….costumes. I “make” costumes by going to Costco and letting my kids pick out whatever they want to be that Costco has. 😉 No really though…I need to learn how to make cute costumes! My Mom made mine when I was little and they were the best!

• Diane W September 19, 2016 at 7:12 pm #

Check out ‘make it love it’ for costumes. Homemade.

20. Terry Preiss September 17, 2016 at 1:13 pm #

I love this pumpkin quilt and just purchased the pattern. Now to collect fabrics!! Could you please tell me about the green fabric that you used? Thank you.

21. Sarah September 17, 2016 at 1:21 pm #

I love this pattern! I saw it on the FQS and bought the PDF right away. Can’t wait to sew tomorrow, going to LQS on my way home from work 🙂

• Allison September 17, 2016 at 4:54 pm #

Thank you! This is a great weekend, after work project…I hope you love it!

22. Becky G. September 17, 2016 at 1:56 pm #

Oh, I love it! So very cute!

23. Karen September 17, 2016 at 3:09 pm #

Just too adorable! And there is NOTHING wrong with waffles for dinner–but they have to have blueberries in them here in Maine!

• Allison September 17, 2016 at 4:55 pm #

Blueberries is the best idea!

24. dispack September 17, 2016 at 4:49 pm #

Love it Love it Love it!!!!!! aw! I went to the lqs for a few oranges and walked out with only one! 🙁 Thanks for the information! Will you show the pillow that your mom made??? 🙂

• Allison September 17, 2016 at 4:56 pm #

Oh bummer! Orange is kind of hard to find…which is why I used every single orange I had that I liked and still had to buy 7 more! 😉 I took a picture of the pillow, I’ll try to add it to a post soon!

25. Zina Clark September 17, 2016 at 5:59 pm #

I’m in love! Your quilt makes me want to drop everything, pull out my extensive collection of orange scraps, and get to work on a new fall quilt. So, so cute!

26. Heide September 17, 2016 at 6:13 pm #

Super adorable,happy you did do the pattern.

27. Charlotta Norby September 17, 2016 at 6:58 pm #

I actually don’t really get into Holiday themed quilts, but I love this one because orange is one of my favorite colors! And the fabric you use on the back is also one of my favorite prints! Awesome! So I love this specific quilt, but I’m pretty sure I won’t make it myself, just admire yours 🙂

28. Chris September 17, 2016 at 11:15 pm #

I haven’t made a Fall pattern in ages but this is very cute. I might break down and make this one.

29. Ellen Thompson September 18, 2016 at 5:21 am #

Thanks for the advice about ‘crossweave’. It sure does look nice though! My cat likes to sleep on quilts in progress too.

30. Rosemaryflower September 18, 2016 at 5:55 am #

Ooooh Yes! I love these pumpkins.
    I am going to book mark this for inspiration when I finish all of my other projects hahahahaha
    No really, even making just a table runner would be cute! or a wall quilt? or a little something for my parents front door of their apartment

31. Pat S September 18, 2016 at 7:20 am #

This is so cute and I do not need one more thing to make right now!! Wilson is adorable and he looks so comfy.

32. jen September 18, 2016 at 8:15 am #

I’ve had the thimble blossoms flag quilt sitting on my couch since July … I’m need this, stat! Thanks for the great pattern – downloaded it and am cutting into stash today. 🙂 BTW, we have a hypoallergenic kitty that is a Siberian cat … FYI in case you’re a kitty lover like I am.

33. Mary clabots September 18, 2016 at 1:53 pm #

I just love this! But I am just about to start a fall quilt…. What to do? Maybe a table runner for this year and the whole quilt for next year? this is going to be a classic, Allison, you better have a lot printed.

34. wendy Brooks September 18, 2016 at 5:20 pm #

It makes me want to start quilting again. I must have this quilt!

35. happyquiltingmelissa September 19, 2016 at 9:26 am #

This is so cute!!! Love it and added it to my To Do list 😉

36. Summer Daisy September 19, 2016 at 12:49 pm #

Beautiful colours for autumn! Nice cat too ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

37. Karen Dobbs September 19, 2016 at 3:05 pm #

Love LOVE this quilt! Fall is my very favorite season. This quilt is perfect for fall and harvest and is happy.

38. Rachel at Stitched in Color September 19, 2016 at 4:35 pm #

Oh, but that is the perfect, comfy pumpkin quilt Good call on making it up into a pattern!

39. Lauren September 20, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

I’ve been thinking about this little pumpkin quilt since the day you posted it. I know just who I am going to make it for!

40. Susan September 20, 2016 at 6:20 pm #

The great pumpkin – quilt! We all love it and thanks for so many tips! I bet your family loved waffles and eggs! Your cat blends in well with it too. Love your posts and now, I need to get busy making this… so glad you came out with it!

41. Martha C. September 20, 2016 at 6:31 pm #

Had to have it! Such a cute pattern. The link for the orange fabric “seven” is no longer available at FQS. Could you tell us what orange fabric #7 is? Your fabric choices are always great!

42. jen September 21, 2016 at 7:38 pm #

Hi, I can’t wait to start this quilt! Thank you for the pattern. I was looking at Bella solids on Fat Quarter Shop website… can you recommend a gray color to use that would be similar tone to the crossweave you used? Its so hard to tell from the website. Thanks!

• Allison September 22, 2016 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Jen! I used the color Graphite, but I’ve also seen the gray and it’s beautiful. It is a tricky fabric to use, so starch it like crazy before you use it. Also the Moda Grunge fabrics would make a great similar looking background without the stretch. 🙂

• Deena Laux September 29, 2016 at 9:50 am #

Hatch in graphite or Essex in graphite?

• Allison October 3, 2016 at 3:54 pm #

Either of those would be awesome…hatch might be easier to sew with since I believe that’s just quilting cotton?

43. Helen LeBrett September 23, 2016 at 11:43 pm #

How did I miss this post of yours? I LOVE this quilt!! I love pumpkins and this is sooo fun!! I guess you’ve made me 🙂 go and buy it!! Hugs, H

44. Sonia September 27, 2016 at 1:46 pm #

I love you quilt this is the pretties pumpkins quilt I seen!! Thank you for the tips on sharing how you were able to get it done. I was always wondering how you guys sew very fast. I am going to have my husband cook or do what you did to get it done before fall is over.

45. Deena Laux September 29, 2016 at 9:32 am #

Please post the name of the green fabric. The link doesn’t give the name of Fat Quarter Shop because they are probably sold out. May be able to get it somewhere else at a shop near my home. Thanks!!

• Allison October 3, 2016 at 3:53 pm #

oops sorry! In case you didn’t find it by now it’s a Cotton and Steel basic green dottie stripe

46. Terry October 2, 2016 at 8:32 pm #

Did you prewash the crossweave fabric? I read that it shrinks more than the other cottons when you wash the quilt.

• Allison October 3, 2016 at 3:48 pm #

Nope I didn’t, and honestly it probably would have been a nightmare to sew with if I had pre-washed it. I even added more starch and it was still a bit stretchy…so I wouldn’t recommend prewashing it!

47. Cheryl October 3, 2016 at 2:27 pm #

Love this quilt, had to get the pattern. Have my rows put together getting ready to sew together the last 12 strips for the sashing, you say on the directions to sew them together end to end. Do you just sew a straight seam across the ends or do you make a mitered seam?
    Having so much fun with this quilt and love that it is just fall and not Halloween.

• Allison October 3, 2016 at 3:47 pm #

Hi Cheryl! I just sew a straight seam, you don’t need to make it mitered since the other seams in the quilt top are straight…it will match better. 🙂

48. Candy Wasman October 6, 2016 at 8:20 pm #

Love it, bought it, made it. Such a great pattern thanks!

49. Jackie October 10, 2016 at 7:30 pm #

I just ordered moda grunge in grey couture. Hopefully it looks good!

50. KT October 16, 2016 at 2:41 pm #

Love this! But a quick question….you used 108″ fabric for the back…the pattern calls for 4 yards. Isn’t that a lot of 108″ wide for this quilt back? Is this for 45″ wide fabric? I just want to make sure I am not purchasing too much! Thanks for the great inspiration and the great pattern!

• Allison October 16, 2016 at 8:33 pm #

YES! That is for the 45″ wide fabric…I don’t include 108″ requirements on the pattern since it’s not as main stream (yet). But you’d need about 2 yards of the 108″. Thanks!

51. Cathy Bremer October 18, 2016 at 7:29 am #

Wow! I’ve never made anything in the tube fashion! Cool! Thanks!

52. Judy Rayhon October 18, 2016 at 8:41 am #

Love the pumpkin quilt.. Plan to make one for next year… Love the fabric also. Not many fabric stores or quilt stores near me. I have to order on line.. I have made several of your patterns for my grandchildren and great grandchilden.

53. Penny October 20, 2016 at 5:51 pm #

I started mine immediately after downloading the pattern. After looking in my bin of orange fabric, I realized I could make all the pumpkins without even shopping! Mine is much scrappier because I tried to use lots of pieces I already had, many precut. Wonderful pattern! Here’s a link to a photo I shared with my crafty friends: http://www.studiocalico.com/galleries/195666-pumpkin-quilt

54. Gretchen October 23, 2016 at 6:12 pm #

I love this! love love love, and I need a gray background pumpkin quilt because my living room is gray, so I will put all my other UFO’s away and start this!!

55. Janet October 24, 2016 at 12:27 pm #

This is the best fall quilt I have seen in many years. You are so talented. Thank you for sharing. You made my day.

56. Cindy November 4, 2016 at 6:03 pm #

This is soooo adorable!! Love your pumpkins, the colors and the pattern!! Nice job!!!:)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Quilt Block Cookbook | Cluck Cluck Sew - September 23, 2016

[…] you for all the Pumpkin quilt love!  I’ve had so much fun seeing cute pumpkin blocks and quilt tops popping up on […]

2. Link Love: The Monday Before... - GnomeAngel - October 23, 2016

[…] I’m obsessed (obsessed!) with this pumpkin quilt from Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew. Click here for the pattern. […]

3. Pumpkins Quilt – Perfect for Shorter Days and Chilly Nights! » Tea & Brie || New Jersey Textile Artist - November 3, 2016

[…] are a few recent shots of my Pumpkins quilt. The pattern, Pumpkins, is by Cluck Cluck Sew, and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a quick autumn quilt and a […]