Being Content

One Way Quilt Pattern, Cluck Cluck Sew

Aqua One Way Quilt

Early in 2018 I decided to create with more intention.  Less hustle, less comparison, and more finding joy in creating.  Looking back on the year I feel like I did just that, or at least got really close.  I made less, wrote less, designed less, and posted less, but what I did create, I did for the enjoyment of doing so.

I have a few small personal goals as we head into a New Year, but my main goal is the same for 2019 as it was in 2018….to be content.

Content with my work, and finding joy in creating while still pushing myself.  Content with my time, and being mindful of what I do with it.   Content with my home, and it’s never ending list of projects and fingerprints to clean.  Content with my body, and focusing more on giving it what it needs (i.e. not Diet Dr. Pepper) instead of what it looks like.  Content with my finances, and being proud of how far we’ve come instead of discouraged by how far we’ve yet to go.   Content with my parenting, because I have a lot to work on daily, but I’m also doing a pretty darn good job.  Content in my trials, because that’s how I learn and grow even when things are the worst.

Anyways…you get the idea.    I’m working on being content and happy with where I am now, while still working to improve and progress.  It takes daily work to change my thoughts, not compare, and just remember to be happy where I’m at right now…but it’s worth it.

Milk, Flour, Sugar Quilt

Milk, Flower, and Sugar Quilt

I added a few of my favorite finished quilts and posts from the past year.

My most visited post was also my favorite to write:   11 Things I’ve Learned in 11 Years.

Fat Quarter Friday Quilt Pattern, 2 easy quilts you can make in a weekend

Simplify Quilt

Color Pop, Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern in 5 sizes

Color Pop Quilt

Scout Quilt Pattern

Summer Scout

Bounce Fabrics

Bounce Quilts (shipping to stores in March!)

I hope that 2019 brings you happiness, contentment, and lots of quilting!  Happy New Year friends!

29 Responses to Being Content

1. selina December 31, 2018 at 4:52 pm #

A wonderful recap of your year in thought and action. Wishes for a Happy and Healthy 2019 for you and your family.

• Allison December 31, 2018 at 10:05 pm #

To you also Selina! Happy New Year!

2. Kathy December 31, 2018 at 7:48 pm #

So many beautiful pictures and projects! I love the goal of being content in our lives. Its so easy to always be questioning ourselves when we have so much to be thankful for. Wishing you all the best in 2019!

3. Lilpuddin December 31, 2018 at 8:55 pm #

Gorgeous quilts! And Happy New Year!

4. Wendy Ohlhauser December 31, 2018 at 9:04 pm #

I have only recently started following you blog but have enjoyed it. I can relate to your ‘contentment’ goal. I have a plaque on the wall that says ‘Gratitude turns what we have into enough’. Words to live by.
    Happy New Year!

• Allison December 31, 2018 at 10:06 pm #

Thank you Wendy! I love that saying! Happy New Year!

5. Lily January 1, 2019 at 4:59 am #

Another wise post Allison :) sensible words and openness… it’s refreshing.
    As well as the great selection of quilts you share.
    Staying true to oneself and doing one’s thing. instead of trying to please everyone.
    Happy holidays :)

• Allison January 1, 2019 at 9:27 pm #

Thank you! Happy New Year to you!

6. Daisy Dianne Bromlow January 1, 2019 at 5:22 am #

You have made some beautiful quilts and that darlin dress, just lovely. Have a God filled year.

7. Sheila January 1, 2019 at 7:00 am #

Thank you for another refreshing post. I appreciate your goal of being content… so necessary but hard to sometimes accomplish in a busy, demanding life. Best wishes for the new year and all of the challenges and hopes that it brings. I’m looking forward to more of your posts and beautiful quilts, and your new line of fabric! Thank you!

8. happyquiltingmelissa January 1, 2019 at 7:26 am #

I just love your blog posts!!! I went back and reread the 11 things you have learned post and was filled with all the good feelings ;) I so appreciate you!! Happy 2018 and wishing you an amazing 2019!!!

9. zooperson January 1, 2019 at 7:32 am #

Fairly new to your blog and so glad to have found it. Beautiful , happy quilts along with thoughtful and witty writing. St Paul once wrote that he had finally learned “to be content in whatever state I am .” No small task for him and certainly me too. But I’m getting there. Have a healthful and happy year.

• Allison January 1, 2019 at 9:26 pm #

It’s a lifelong struggle to be content for sure! I’m glad you found my blog too! Happy New Year

10. Kristin Gumbinger January 1, 2019 at 9:50 am #

Being content is a good thing! Many people struggle with it. I thought of the quote “Comparison is the thief of joy” when you talk about ‘less comparison’. Happy New Year!

• Allison January 1, 2019 at 9:26 pm #

It truly is! Happy New Year!

11. Annie Toy January 1, 2019 at 2:56 pm #

Wonderful goal for 2018 and 2019! I find myself looking at ALL the many pictures throughout the internet in the various different crafts that I enjoy pursuing. And, I think your blog post has triggered my thinking that all my internet surfing for ideas and to look at all the “fun” things that EVERYone (all over the world) are doing…is breeding DIS-content in me. This is not the fault of the internet. I am taking full responsibility for what my thoughts lead to.

So… thank you!! =D. You’ve inspired me! =D I’m going to try to limit my “idea searching (I.e. internet surfing) and bring more contentment to my own little corner of the craft world.

Beautiful photos of wonderful quilts!!

• Allison January 1, 2019 at 9:25 pm #

I totally agree Annie…when I’m feeling a overwhelmed I can always bet that it’s too much time spent online or on Instagram or Pinterest. Sometimes it’s nice to step back and take a break and figure out what you love!

12. jankrentz January 1, 2019 at 4:33 pm #

I love your perspective on contentment! Your life will be richer for this viewpoint. Love your work, your postings and your tutorials. Thank you! Happy New year!

• Allison January 1, 2019 at 9:24 pm #

Happy New Year to you also!

13. Sue H January 1, 2019 at 6:41 pm #

Love your quilts especially Simplify. Reminds me: I must get that one finished! Happy New Year!

• Allison January 1, 2019 at 9:24 pm #

Thanks Sue! It’s my favorite too!

14. Kelly January 3, 2019 at 11:12 pm #

Happy New Year Allison! Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilts, knowledge and creativity with us. I really appreciate your honesty and down to earth nature that shines through in your posts. I’m so glad that you are able to find joy in creating and hope you continue to do so. Best wishes for a healthy and content new year.

• Allison January 4, 2019 at 7:45 pm #

Thank you Kelly, the same to you! Have a great new year!

15. Thea Wagner January 6, 2019 at 2:46 pm #

Beautiful quilts. Contentment is a great goal!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Looking back and looking forward - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog - January 2, 2019

[…] creating for the joy and satisfaction of creativity, rather than a deadline or a job.  (Allison’s post on Contentment really resonated with me.) For a good part of the last 10 years, sewing has been my job (and a […]