Happy Camper

IMG_0158 We’re finally here.  I’m happy to be out of the trash can we call our car and semi-unpacked.  We had a nice stay in Portland, then drove up the coast through Cannon Beach and into Washington.   I managed to visit a few quilt shops, the top one is still my all time favorite.  If you ever get a chance to go to Rupert, ID….GO, its worth the drive.  Then I made it to Fabric Depot in Portland.  Lots of you told me to check this one out, and now I see why! They had so much fabric, and everything was on sale, and it was packed full of nice little old ladies ramming each other down with shopping carts.    Honestly that store totally overwhelmed me, I just walked around for about an hour with drool coming out of my mouth not knowing where to start.  I came home with a little stack, mainly because I have a hard time remembering what I already have…..which means I probably have too much fabric already. IMG_0232  Hopefully I’ll get some sewing done this week.  I’m trying to make myself excited to quilt the 9 patch quilt, but its just not happening, so unless I have any volunteers to quilt it for me (anyone??????:) it will probably stay in its cozy little storage bin for awhile longer.

26 Responses to Happy Camper

1. beth July 26, 2009 at 9:44 pm #

i really like the pictures you took – the way the fabric sits below the sign! so creative. :)

2. Kim July 26, 2009 at 10:22 pm #

I agree with Beth. I LOVE your pictures. Very fun and creative. If I ever get to Idaho and Oregon I'll have to stop at those shops.

3. Andi July 27, 2009 at 1:17 am #

This is why I wish I lived in America!!!

4. Arnden July 27, 2009 at 1:27 am #

I am so glad you had a good time! My family rarely lets me stop at fabrics stores which on vacation. Did you get the red and green Pez looking fabrics on the top of your shown pile at the store in the background? I have been looking for some and believe it might be out of print.

5. Laura July 27, 2009 at 1:32 am #

Looks like you had a great time shopping!

6. Blue is Bleu July 27, 2009 at 1:34 am #

Now I wonder what it'll take to get my husband to agree to driving cross country to PDX because I want to go too! I'd probably spend far more than an hour though lol My poor husband hehe!

7. sewmuchfun4 July 27, 2009 at 1:49 am #

You can bet I'll be taking my camera the next time I go fabric shopping! I'd like it just to remember that sweet, happy, look at my pretty, neatly folded fabric feeling… I think the smell of new fabric beats out new car smell, hands down!

Glad you are there. I would totally want to piece if I had been fabric and color deprived for that long!!!

8. Mountain Home Quilts July 27, 2009 at 1:56 am #

Glad that you've arrived safely! When I saw the title of your post I thought it was going to be about the new American Jane line! :) LOL. I guess we all just have fabric on the brain.

9. A La Mode fabric July 27, 2009 at 2:13 am #

OMGosh Allison…. I live, like a mile from Fabric Depot! Can you even imagine how nuts my stash has grown since I moved home to Portland??? 😉 It's heaven there!

10. Welcome to Lulu's life. July 27, 2009 at 3:11 am #

I agree the Gather Place in Rupert ID is incredible. My mother makes the occassional trip from Utah just to shop there.

11. Cindy July 27, 2009 at 4:02 am #

love your pictures, too! very neat

12. ~D Spack~ July 27, 2009 at 5:02 am #

great pictures! You passed through my town! Thanks for the idea on the 9 patch using squares instead of sashing. I was planning to sash mine, but since seeing yours I'm doing squares. I'm using an old sheet! I plan to make mine queen size 'cause I need a quilt for a bed here!

13. Anonymous July 27, 2009 at 6:37 am #

We are sooo HAPPY that you and your family are finally here. Tonight was fun at Fay Bainbridge. Jay was better than I thought at horse-shoes…NOT!! It was fun!!
    I want to do lots of quilting while you are here. I am just learning, actually I have not started anything, but you make everything look so awesome and I am looking for a new talent…

14. beyondhomemaking July 27, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

Now I have a VERY important reason to go to Idaho!!!

And a question: How much fabric do you buy when you aren't shopping for a particular quilt or project?

15. Melissa July 27, 2009 at 2:55 pm #

So next time I drive out to Twin Falls, I'll stop by Rupert. Thanks for the tip! What was your favorite place to go to in Idaho Falls or Rexburg when you were living here?

16. Mal* (turning*turning) July 27, 2009 at 6:45 pm #

My sister lives near Rupert and I have heard that store is deadly!

17. amandajean July 28, 2009 at 12:50 am #

well, i say that if you end up buying the same fabric twice you must really like it. :)

18. Chris July 28, 2009 at 4:13 am #

I know how you feel about the Fabric Depot – overwhelming – I think you need to go with a list of what you need and go from there. Welcome to the Northwest.

19. jaybird July 28, 2009 at 5:01 am #

i'd do it… but the next month is looking crazy!! soo much to do and so little time!!

20. Taiya July 28, 2009 at 12:54 pm #

Oh, Oregon, how I adore thee… We drove through on our honeymoon 4 years ago, and it was one of my favorite stops…

That Fabric Depot looks amazing!

21. Cheryl Arkison July 28, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

Those photos are hysterical!

22. erica July 29, 2009 at 11:53 am #

Great stack!

23. Pink Stitches July 29, 2009 at 8:54 pm #

Great photos and some lurvely fabric!!
    I so wished we had places like that in the UK!

24. Denean August 1, 2009 at 12:46 pm #

I love the way you staged these photos. How cute is that!?!

25. Christina August 2, 2009 at 12:53 am #

Next time you make it down this way (expo?) bring your quilt top with you, i'll quilt it on the longarm…or your welcome to mail it! Fabric Depot is a bit overwhelming, I have to say I don't go often. But I love to go when i'm not really looking for anything, but want to buy fabric. It's great at helping me out there. The only issue with them is there fabric is marked higher than other quilt shops to accommodate their 35% off sales…so you have to watch out and not buy fabric there unless it's on sale..then it's a good deal.

26. Jodi @ Simply This and That August 11, 2009 at 3:13 pm #

I cannot believe you were HERE and I didn't know it! Somehow your blog wandered away from my google reader! I have so much to catch up on! I would have totally met you at Fabric Depot! oh lands. Was it one of their good sales?