Mini Quilts!

Pow Wow Mini Quilt

I have to fess up to not being into the whole “mini quilt” thing when it became popular.  I mean, what is the point of a mini quilt??!

Now I’m sticking my big foot in my mouth…because these were so much fun to make.  I get it now!  I love making mini quilts!

Mini Quilts Pattern Cluck Cluck Sew

I especially love not having to crawl around on the ground to lay out blocks.  I could lay the whole mini quilt out on my sewing table and not even have to move!  Plus they are a fun challenge, all those tiny pieces take some concentration.  I actually feel like a better quilter after making these (actually Trish made these two!).

Shortcake and Button Up Mini Quilts

I made 7 of my older patterns into minis, basically the ones that you had asked for, and I felt worked best in a mini-version.  I didn’t want to offer them as individual patterns…so I put them all into one booklet, plus a SEW mini just for fun.  The booklet is 18 pages with the 8 mini patterns, plus some close up photos and tips.   I worked on sewing  and the writing the booklet here and there throughout the summer…oh and happy September 1st by the way!

Cluck Cluck Sew Mini Quilts

Button Up Mini Quilt

Even the bindings were fun to hand sew…and quick!   I cut the binding strips 2″ instead of 2 1/2″.  It looks better on these small quilts and was still easy enough to hand sew to the back.

Mini Quilts Cluck Cluck Sew

Cluck Cluck Sew Mini Quilts

My favorite 3 of the bunch is Spin Cycle, Suburbs, and Pow Wow.   Those Spin Cycle blocks were fun to put together (they are just over 6″), and watching those tiny seams line up is pretty darn fulfilling.

Mini Quilts

You can find the pattern booklet in my shop here, in a booklet paper version or a PDF (letter sized printable) version.  My other new pattern is in there too…I’ll blog about that quilt next!

Cluck Cluck Sew Mini Quilts

After making/writing all these I feel like I need to make something big!  Next up…SUPER SIZED quilts!  😉

46 Responses to Mini Quilts!

1. Teje September 1, 2015 at 8:48 am #

Hi! I love all your mini quilts! I have been feeling a little bit the same with minis but now I’m also hooked! Made just today some really mini blocks and had so much fun! x Teje

2. Lynne Tilley September 1, 2015 at 9:02 am #

I’ve been the same way about mini quilts… WHY? What are they good for. But I have to admit, the more I see them, and knowing how much I love “tiny” stuff, I bet I would get hooked on them, too. I love your little collection. The Suburbs one is calling to me; I may have to head to your shop and check out that booklet! Thanks for your great blog!

3. Erika Balban September 1, 2015 at 9:38 am #

they’re so cute!! this is probably better for beginners like myself or people who don’t have much time on their hands! they look adorable! great job xx

4. Monica September 1, 2015 at 10:34 am #

Allison, I’ve felt the same way as you with the mini quilts, and it hasn’t been until recently that I’ve thought making some mini’s for my sewing room might be fun. I absolutely LOVE your quilt patterns and your clear, simple directions. Who wants to buy all of the mini patterns, especially when you’ve already purchased the original? A mini quilt booklet is a brilliant idea!!!!! Can’t wait to get started!!

• Allison September 1, 2015 at 3:49 pm #

Thank you Monica! I had the same feeling about selling/buying mini versions of patterns already written! Bundling them helps…and it’s easier to keep track of them!

5. beth September 1, 2015 at 11:09 am #

Love all of these such fun!!!

6. Tina September 1, 2015 at 12:05 pm #

These look so cool! Thank you for all your work. And for putting them in one booklet, as I also have several patterns already. This will be the beginning of my very own wall of minis and I’m looking foreward to it.

7. Kathy O. September 1, 2015 at 12:44 pm #

Absolutely adorable! I especially love the photo with them stacked on top of each other – all the cute binding! A booklet is brilliant!

8. stubbledgrapes September 1, 2015 at 1:06 pm #

I’ve never made a quilt before, and I have neither the time nor the space at the moment to start. So mini quilts sound like the perfect beginning for me =)
    Definitely going to pick up your patterns and see what I can do with them. And then I get to go fabric shopping, woo!

• patricia September 2, 2015 at 12:30 pm #

OH are you gonna get hocked on quilts…make your own rules…its more fun

9. Anne D September 1, 2015 at 2:29 pm #

I love minis because I actually finish them. Your patterns look great. Definitely a must do!

10. Angie September 1, 2015 at 7:29 pm #

I’m so excited about these! Thanks for putting them in a booklet! Awesome idea!

11. Sigi G September 2, 2015 at 4:03 am #

I LOVE your Mini’s!! I have many of your patterns and just finished your Suburb quilt. I love that you brought out these mini patterns. These make wonderful ‘incentive’ wall decors for the home!

12. Katie Cohagen September 2, 2015 at 6:10 am #

I’ve been buying mini quilt patterns as they come out because I love the idea but I haven’t found the time to make one yet. The idea of putting all of them in one booklet is genius! I plan on carving quilting time for myself over Christmas break and these will be on my list!

13. slcquilter September 2, 2015 at 6:46 am #

Minis ARE awesome! It reminds that me when I was knitting a lot, I couldn’t understand why people would make sweaters for babies—they’re going to outgrow them real quick right? Til I MADE one, then I got it! Really fun to make something you love in small form–quick and satisfying! Mini quilts are a great way to play with a new block or technique with a lower level of commitment than a large quilt. Your patterns look great!

14. Amber September 2, 2015 at 6:53 am #

I made mini quilts when my kids were little and I didn’t have much time or money for fabric. I could get a “fix” of both fabric shopping and sewing, and see something done. AND they made my home pretty, hanging on the walls. I LOVE you little book, I think I need it. I haven’t done a mini quilt in awhile!

15. Pbee September 2, 2015 at 6:56 am #

Mini quilts are not a popular new thing–they used to be called doll quilts! In the late 80s and 90s a Miniature Quilts magazine was published–I have every copy. Loved them then and still love them now. Yours are sensational.

16. Sheri Bowers September 2, 2015 at 7:03 am #

How big are the mini quilts?

• Allison September 2, 2015 at 11:08 am #

In my shop in the second photos it has all of the mini sizes…they range but most are about 13″ to 17″. Thanks!!

17. Emma September 2, 2015 at 7:09 am #

Love these. Have ordered my copy! :0) xx

18. Nancy Kindlund September 2, 2015 at 7:57 am #

Where do we find the booklet? I want one, lol, nice job!

19. Kathy Osterby September 2, 2015 at 7:59 am #

where do I order your book?

• Allison September 2, 2015 at 11:09 am #

The mini quilt book is in my pattern shop (link at the top of the blog)…it’s more like a pattern size…with 8 mini patterns inside. If you’re looking for my book-book…the link to amazon is the book cover on my sidebar. 🙂

20. Kimberly September 2, 2015 at 8:24 am #

You are genius Allison!! I just got mine and can’t wait to make them! I also got your Shimmer pattern. It’s absolutely stunning!!! ♥♥♥

• Allison September 2, 2015 at 11:09 am #

Thank you Kimberly!!!

21. robinsnestquilting September 2, 2015 at 10:08 am #

I feel the same way about mini quilts. I’m sure that I would love them, but I’ve got so many “normal” size quilts to finish that I think that I will just drool over yours. 🙂

BTW, love your patterns so I am selling them in my shop.

• Allison September 2, 2015 at 11:10 am #

Thank you! I SO understand what you mean too!! 😉

22. Terry September 2, 2015 at 10:54 am #

Well, I was there when they started… They make wonderful Christmas ornaments, cuffs and yokes for denim jackets, yokes on little girl dresses, a man’s tie (if you can get him to wear it) or one for yourself, placemats, coasters, pockets or pocket tops, doll quilts. They are much easier now with the “Strip” method.

• Allison September 2, 2015 at 11:10 am #

Great ideas Terry! Mini Christmas Ornaments are next!!! 🙂

23. Belloquacity - Annabel September 3, 2015 at 1:46 am #

Allison this is fantastic! I treated myself to the mini booklet (and *ahem* some other patterns of yours) today and now the only problem is deciding which one to start on! Now I’m just waiting for Hazel to hit stores and I’m all set! xx

• Allison September 3, 2015 at 9:13 am #

Thank you Annabel!

24. Pat S September 3, 2015 at 4:48 am #

I’ll give you this; they are CUTE! I am, however, sticking to my guns as in “What’s the point?”. Then again, I’ve never been into wall hangings so I suppose that’s why they don’t appeal to me on that level. Now a pillow top is a different matter. :>)

25. Cindy September 3, 2015 at 5:01 am #

How cute are these! Love them!!:)

26. Michelle September 3, 2015 at 11:14 am #

These would make great doll/stuffed animal (or american girl) quilts for kids… especially if you matched up a bigger version for the kid… they would be in love (or atleast i would have been)…. I love your blog so much, it feeds my sewing addiction (especially as fall comes closer)…. Thank you for all the great inspirations!!

• Allison September 3, 2015 at 2:22 pm #

great idea Michelle to gift them together…they would love that! And I’m so glad that I could feed your addiction! 😉 I don’t know if that’s good or bad lol!

27. Craftalife September 4, 2015 at 10:33 am #

These are super cute! I can imagine making a full size quilt and then making a mini version from the scraps, perhaps to hang on the wall of the same room. Might have to do that!

28. Susan Robers September 5, 2015 at 5:28 am #

I still need to make a mini too and have felt the same way up till now. Great idea for your mini book! Anxious to start one now! Looking forward to the mail after the 10th!

29. Charlotta Norby September 5, 2015 at 3:15 pm #

OK but so what ARE they good for? I’m still not convinced, however cute they are.

30. mindingmomma September 7, 2015 at 12:43 pm #

Can’t decide which one I like best, but I must get this pattern booklet! In love with them all!

31. kelsey September 7, 2015 at 5:39 pm #

So adorable! Being new to quilting, I didn’t even know this was a trend but I can see why it is. 😊

32. Terry Phelps September 9, 2015 at 7:16 am #

Wow i bought it on the spot… So excited to get started

33. Lori September 9, 2015 at 10:57 am #

Totally know what you mean. I’ve been in love with minis lately!

34. Jennifer S. September 9, 2015 at 11:07 am #

Just bought mine! These are so freaking cute!! Your pattern making skills amaze me!!

35. Christine September 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm #

Just added these to my holiday wish list! What a great collection of minis!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Finds - Sew Delicious - September 10, 2015

[…] just bought Cluck Cluck Sew’s Mini Quilt Patterns and can’t wait to whip up a few. Super gorgeous, I love her designs and her […]

2. Mini Quilts: Inspiration for the Modern Quilt Guild Swap – Scrappy Taffy - October 18, 2016

[…] To finish this post, if you are looking for some more familiar quilt patterns in a mini size, you might start with Cluck Cluck Sew. […]