Baby Boy Bug Quilt

This little boy quilt is for someone special, hopefully that someone doesn’t check this blog very often! I made it based on the tutorial on Amanda Jean’s blog, based on Alissa’s Land and Sea Quilt. I made my blocks 8″ instead of 11″ so I could fit more blocks in the baby sized quilt. I put some rough instructions below for making the wonky block. The back is the cute bug flannel that I love and is EXTRA warm and snuggely, perfect for all this SNOW we have in Seattle!

This is how I made my blocks a little wonky. Follow Amanda Jean’s instructions, except I cut my strips 2.5 ” wide to make a 9 ” blocks and then I cut it to size after its sewn. It seems like my blocks always turn out a little stretched or shrunk after sewing, so I leave some extra fabric and trim them to size, so my 8″ blocks are perfectly square.

I made my blocks a little wonky by making the center strips different sizes, I cut the one on the left 1.5″ and the right 3.5″. Then after sewn you can turn the blocks to create the wonky look.
I used 1.5″ white sashing on this quilt, I really like the 1.5″, which after sewn is more like 1″.

This quilt is about 37×37″ square. Happy holidays!

11 Responses to Baby Boy Bug Quilt

1. MichelleB December 21, 2008 at 11:06 pm #

Just lovely! Thanks for the instructions on the wonky blocks.

2. Sara December 22, 2008 at 12:02 am #

Very cute, I love the wonkyness of the blocks!

3. Alissa December 22, 2008 at 5:28 am #

I love it! Yeah – I did my blocks a bit wonky like that too. It’s fun!

4. Dena August 13, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

I thought our snow would never go away. We ended up with over 31 inches and had icycles hanging from the roof of our house to the ground. Luckily, we're high enough elevation that when the valley flooded it didn't affect us.

I happened across your blog today. I really like this quilt. Thanks for the instructions on how you made it. Although it's a very simple block, it is nice to see that what I "thought" is correct. LOL

5. April February 27, 2010 at 11:46 am #

Lovely design with a difference in the pattern.I like the patches…with borders they look very nice really….bright and colorful.

cold

6. Dee March 20, 2011 at 3:52 am #

I love wonky!!! I have 40+ year-old butterfly blocks that ended up being odd-sized and I haven't quite decided how to make them square. I think I just found my answer.

7. Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates February 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Looks like a fun quilt or hanging to do, just love what you did with the colors and all.

8. Pegasus July 2, 2014 at 12:20 am #

I am wanting to make this quilt for a baby coming in the family and got the pdf for Alissa's Land and Sea quilt. My question for you is about yardage. Did you follow the yardage in Alissa's pattern or did you change it because your quilt was smaller? Thanks.

9. Carolyn Peschel August 18, 2016 at 3:46 pm #

Is the size of square in center of block 5 inches ? I’m coming up with a 10″ block when all sewn – how did you cut it to come out with 8″ ? Love this pattern and my farm animals will look great, just need to get cutting done. Thank you so much.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Wednesday’s Wickedly Awesome- Prudent Baby – My Blog - February 4, 2016

[…] to Pieces.  You can’t go wrong with blues and greens in my opinion. This one from Cluck Cluck Sew is adorable in it’s own right but then you turn it over and it’s got the greatest […]

2. Stack n’ Whack Blocks | Cluck Cluck Sew - August 18, 2016

[…] larger blocks like in the orange quilt.  You can also make these “wonky” like in the Baby Boy Bug Quilt, just cut one side slightly smaller or larger and cut your square off center, then sew them […]