Red + Aqua

Remember this? Now its this very bright quilt top made from my favorite colors. (in case you haven’t noticed I have LOTS of favorite colors) This was my first quilt using so many triangles, and it actually went fairly smoothly and went together fast.

red+aqua quilt top

I used the tutorial Christina put on her blog. Except I started with 7 1/2″ squares so my finished blocks were roughly 6 1/2″. And I didn’t square them up after. I felt like I was cutting more than a 1/4″ off each side when I was squaring them up, but mostly it was because I am a L.A.Z.Y. quilter. I usually find I can eyeball things straight as I go, and (knock on wood) it has worked for me so far with no resulting wonkiness. This top ended up being about 54″ by 66″, with 99 blocks total.

red+aqua quilt top

I love how where four of the hourglasses meet, it creates a pinwheel. Can you see it? Its like one of those eye tricks where you have to find the pattern in the pattern. :) Have a great weekend everybody!

9 Responses to Red + Aqua

1. ivyarts March 13, 2009 at 4:44 pm #

I’m right there with you on squaring up the blocks. Boring! The quilt looks great so you surely didn’t need to.

2. D*H*L March 13, 2009 at 4:56 pm #

love it! i’m liking those colors more and more too. i love the triangles, shaking things up. 😉

3. Beth March 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm #

It took me forever to find the pinwheel! I subscribe to the same “squaring up philosophy,” although it seems your eye is better than mine.

4. Sara March 14, 2009 at 1:14 am #

That is really pretty, I really like it! Those colors look great together!

5. sandra March 14, 2009 at 8:53 am #

Love it! Great colours!

6. Amanda March 15, 2009 at 2:34 am #

Great color combination! It took me a minute to see the pinwheel, but then once I saw it, I had to try harder to see the hour glass pattern. My eyes are tricky!

I found you through the Mountain Baby Blankets. I’m a pretty new quilter and I’m having a great time looking around.

Amanda

7. Shelly March 15, 2009 at 6:22 pm #

wow! I just got a new sewing machine combination embroidery machine for christmas. Now your quilt has inspired me to get it out of the box!

8. erica March 15, 2009 at 6:34 pm #

I love this quilt top! Red and Aqua are favorites of mine too… Can’t wait to see it finished!

9. Christina March 15, 2009 at 6:37 pm #

It looks fantastic! We’ve been talking about a red + aqua hourglass quilt around here…i like it! I hope the tutorial was helpful. I find it a lot easier then cutting a lot of little triangles and piecing them together.