Elephant March

I have these blocks sewn up and stuck to my design wall (a.k.a.  a piece of flannel…classy).  After I was finished sewing up all the blocks and feeling all great about my quick quilt…I realized I had sewn 19 extra hourglass blocks, and cut 10 too few elephant blocks.  How in the heck I did that I have no idea…and to top it off I had just used up the rest of the elephant fabric making bean bags that my son will throw at me.
Luckily after some re-arranging and re-sizing it all got worked out.   I had two circles leftover from using the accuquilt cutter to stick in it….and I actually like the way it looks even more.   I’m taking this little “miscalculation” as I sign that I need more sleep.  A lot more.  🙂

29 Responses to Elephant March

1. Jennwith4 October 21, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

It looks cute!

2. ~Michelle~ October 21, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

you know those expensive design walls that sell for more than $100?? they're flannel, just so you know 🙂 plus, depending on the product, are held together with PVC pipe – I bet you could totally DIY from scratch for under $50 (even assuming you have to buy a flannel sheet)…

3. Anna October 21, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

I, also, have flannel stapled to my wall and it works just great!

4. Becky October 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

It looks great, even with the miscalculations. That's always the thing I count and recount and recount. Otherwise you wind up with a baby quilt of your extras!

5. Melinda October 21, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

I always know when it's time to quit sewing by how many rookie mistakes I make. I have kept on going before and just completely ruined a project, so now if I screw up once where I really should have known better, I stop. Though I adore your mistake here, so maybe my idea isn't so great. LOL

6. Weatherbee ;) October 21, 2010 at 4:44 pm #

This is really cute! I like the circles too. 🙂 And I really need to make some bean bags for my kiddos too. Yup…just put it on "the list".

~Teresa 😉

7. Staci October 21, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

Good for you! You took an oops! moment and turned it into a design opportunity! Quilt really is very cute!
    My design wall is super classy! It is a flannel backed tablecloth I picked up for $5 on clearance sale at Target! Does the trick, and I'd rather spend my sewing budget on fabric!

8. Keriann October 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

Oh my gosh I love it!! And I don't even have a designe wall set up yet so your piece of flannel is super classy to me!! 😉 I'm loving the idea from the follower above me "Staci" to use a cheapo vinyl table cloth!

9. Tanya October 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm #

I think it looks very cute!!! I have done the miscalculation I dont know how many times, even when I am staring at the pattern, lol!!

10. Me? A Mom? October 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

I also use a flannel backed table cloth. 🙂

I'm queen of making bizarre math miscalculations, even when I check and double check. But I've been sleep deprived for four years straight so what can you do? 🙂

11. Cathy October 21, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

I like it a lot. I've been using the floor as a design board 🙂 I need to rearrange and clean my sewing room. Someday!!

cathy

12. Laurel October 21, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

Well, I'd say you had a great Tim Gunn moment and made it work! 😉

13. ktquilts October 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

I love the design change!! It "adds interest"!! And if a little someone is going to be throwing bean bags at you, you might want to consider the blog name…Duck, Duck, Sew!!! LOL!!!
    Praying for you to have some rest.

Blessings,

KT

14. live a colorful life October 21, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

Haha to KT above, about "duck, duck, sew." Funny.

Anyway, the fabrics you used in the quilt are awesome together. And you just made a series of great "design decisions."

15. felicity October 21, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

Add me to the Klassy Design Wall Klub (flannel backed vinyl tablecloth). Love your design "mistake" – you definitely worked it!

16. Megs October 21, 2010 at 8:43 pm #

Yep flannel backed tablecloth here too. Purchased by the yard at a local fabric store. I l-o-v-e it! And the quilt is lovely!

17. Kimberly October 21, 2010 at 9:49 pm #

Nice save… and I love the milk glass!

Oh, and I juse re-did my sewing room to include my first design wall… out of flannel. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

18. Purple Quilter Queen October 21, 2010 at 9:52 pm #

Cute – please show us the rest when you are done. Jenn

19. bec October 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Thanks for the tip about the tablecloth, everyone, or flannel, I use the floor and my knees don't cope anymore! Gorgeous blocks as well.

20. SewSara October 21, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

ok am i the first to ask …. what is the elephant fabric? i love it!!

21. WoolenSails October 21, 2010 at 11:40 pm #

That is such a fun print, love all the colors you choose.

Debbie

22. Drucilla's Stitches October 22, 2010 at 1:29 am #

i love the elephant fabric, it looks perfect for a boy. I also use a flannel for my design wall and love it!

23. Leigh October 22, 2010 at 8:33 am #

Awww SewSara beat me to it…. where did you get this gorgeous fabric I love it and must have it immediately!!! What a gorgeous "mistake" you are very talented.

24. Lisa14 October 22, 2010 at 11:58 am #

So cute! And I am in awe of your "no waste" plans with fabric! You are brave!

25. zarina October 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

It happens to me ALL the time – from the planning, during the piecing and towards the end. I scored in high maths – calculus, algebra, etc but failed in the ordinary statistics.

I need to sleep off the week – next step is cutting and I don't trust myself now.

26. Emily Elizabeth October 23, 2010 at 5:09 am #

My design wall is a piece of flannel too 🙂

27. dogloverlaura October 24, 2010 at 2:08 am #

Ha! My design wall is flannel material tacked over my closet door 🙂 Save your money for the good stuff like elephant fabric! The quilt is so cute! Love the colors!

28. Diana October 24, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

So cute! Would you mind telling me what fabric line that is? I love it!

Diana

29. Colleen October 25, 2010 at 12:18 am #

As I always tell my students a mistake is a beuatiful picture waiting to happen…same can be said about quilts.