Scrap Craft

Now that afternoon naps are becoming fewer and shorter for Ben, I’ve had to find ways to keep him busy so I can frantically try and get stuff done while destructo-baby is asleep.
 Yesterday we cut out a big cardboard B, and he glued all the fabric scraps and buttons to it.  He sat by me for almost an hour getting them all on.  After it was all dry (which takes awhile when you give a 3 year old a bottle of glue) I trimmed around the edges.
And look how nice and evenly placed those buttons are…. I think he takes after his symmetrically obsessed momma.

47 Responses to Scrap Craft

1. Impera_Magna March 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

What a cool idea for a craft project for little ones… love the B, too!

And what a wonderful idea for your church to make quilts to send to Japan where I'm sure warm, comfort, and love are much needed right now…

2. Jamie Mueller @ SunFlower Seeds March 16, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

super cute idea!! love it!

3. Irelle March 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Great craft idea. I think my grandkids would love that one!!!

4. Pia March 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

What a brilliant idea – I'll put it on my "to-do-list"

5. Elisa Black March 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

What a cute craft idea for your son– it came out great! Maybe you can do his name, or even the whole alphabet.
    I'l check my stash for fabric donations for your church and email you for the address to mail them to you. It is so tragic what has happened in Japan– I'm sure they they will appreciate quilts.

6. Sarahby March 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

I love that B. I kinda want to make my own. I guess it is entertaining to little ben and twenty something me…. 🙂

7. Erin @ two more seconds March 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

Ahhh I LOVE that craft! I can see a giant fabric covored M in my future!

8. Sissel`s syglede March 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

WOW, how nice 🙂 Great thing to do for kids!!

9. Live a Colorful Life March 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

I love the idea of that craft. My grandchildren will love it! and I'll check my fabric. I have three bags waiting for a "home." Do you think batiks would be okay too?

10. Miriam Lusk March 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Love it! I will definitely be making a fabric covered letter A with my 3 year old today.

I will email you to get your address.

11. Kulla Klan March 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

He did a super good job!! You may have seen the idea at http://thepleatedpoppy.com/2011/02/monogram-crafting-with-the-kiddos/.

12. @pril March 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

Great Idea!

13. kendascrafts March 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

What a cute idea! You can search in Google Reader. I've had the same problem a couple times. I saw something really cute, but forgot where I saw it.

14. mldale79 March 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Love this idea for my three-year-old son. And I had to laugh when I saw the nickname for your little one…it's the same one we use for my one-year-old daughter.

15. KathyD March 16, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

I've never commentes before, but I love that idea! That sounds like a fun thing to do with my kids. And thank you for adding the link about the need for quilts! I'm going to see if I can get my ward or stake to get on board and help out too.

16. Quiltingranny March 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

Adorable! I am giving away a Moda Charm pack and Sandy Gervais pattern:
    Please spread the word, this is a great package!

17. Faith Pray March 16, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

I love this for little ones! We just applied a similar technique at my house, only it was for fairy-loving kindergarteners. http://faithpray.blogspot.com/2011/03/messes-are-artists-true-friend-anne.html

18. rubyslipperz March 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

VERY cute idea!! If you can't find the cardstock big enough to make a letter, it could be fun to use a paper plate…covering it with fabric in just the same way…then, put their picture in the middle (maybe, using a very dark fabric right behind their picture…kinda framing it)…

hugZ,
    annie

19. Manda March 16, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

What a great child friendly crafty activity!

20. Michele March 16, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

What a great B!

21. BijouxBaby March 16, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Love this idea!!! I've been looking for some kind light weight decoration for the kids doors. I've got lots of cardboard. I also need a craft for a playgroup that is coming up. Hmm, maybe not playgroup, not sure I'm ready to let the scraps leave the house and I doubt I have enough scraps for ALL the little girls.

22. Linz March 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

We are SO doing this!!! So cute! Great idea!

23. Brooke March 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm #

I love this scrappy but definitely not crappy idea!

24. megs March 16, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

can you please email me the address i could send some fabric to? My email is megs.patterson@yahoo.com . I LOVE your blog! I love to quilt but never make the time 🙁 thanks for all the cute ideas and inspiration.

25. commonthreads March 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

That looks great! I'll have to try it out when my little one is a bit older.

26. Kaitlyn March 17, 2011 at 1:58 am #

I would be very surprised if it came from my blog and would be even happier if I knew that you read it. http://wearethebrights.blogspot.com/2011/01/learning-and-playing.html
    We used the chip board letters, I am finding this GREAT for learning the alphabet for my 3 year old.

27. Laura Maxell March 17, 2011 at 3:09 am #

super cute…

28. amy smart March 17, 2011 at 4:16 am #

THis is genius. I'm going to have to try this one. So sorry about the growing out of naps phase. Sent me into a state of mourning with each kid.

29. Emily March 17, 2011 at 7:59 am #

Very cool idea of design any alphabets. Impressive work.
    Property Management

30. Nic March 17, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Ohhhh such a great idea! My 4yo will love this; I have the same dilemma, wanting to get a few things done while the baby is asleep but with a non-napping pre-schooler in tow!

31. Chris {frecklemama} March 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

This is a great idea and it reminds me to get my 3.5 yr old more involved in my quilting. She is constantly looking for something crafty to do while I'm sewing and I forget that there are fun things she can do without needles and pins! Thank you so much for sharing.

32. Chris {frecklemama} March 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

Oh, just another note: this would be a great use of the cardboard that comes on the back of Layer Cakes and Charm Packs.

33. Taryn March 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

What a cute idea! I'm definitely trying this. Also I absolutely love your elephant marching quilt. Is there a pattern available for that? If so I would love to know where I could buy it or find it. My e-mail is halltaryn at gmail.com.
    Thanks.

34. Angie March 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

Really cute project for those busy little hands and love that it uses those tiny scraps that some of us are always saving. Thanks for "reposting" or I may have never seen it!

35. midnight hysteria March 17, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

oooh … i wish my ward/stake would do this … i emailed the ward rs pres and the humanitarian leader … the productivity on a ward/stake basis would be amazing ….

thanks for the link to providentliving.com ….

darlene
    selah 2 ward
    selah stake
    yakima/selah washington

36. Debbie March 18, 2011 at 12:44 am #

like others have said- if you go to your google reader there is a search bar at the top. Just type what you are looking for and it should pop up.

This has saved me a few times with recipes and patterns.

37. Uzi March 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Good idea! do you have some more ideas for a 2-year old? Whenever I take out my sewing machine, he treats it like the best toy for him, not something that momma needs 🙂

38. Carolina Andrade March 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

when i find a great idea on reader, i either add star, like and share (that way, i can go back and find it under starred items) or it gets bookmarked under my crafts to do folder.

39. SewTara March 19, 2011 at 3:11 am #

That's awesome!! I'm on a quest for projects that use up scraps, I'll be sure to try this with my kids and send you some link love!

40. Liz @ LivingMySweetLife March 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

I made these with my boys after seeing your post! The came out so cute!!

P.S. I love your blog!

41. patternpatti March 22, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

So cute. Great idea.

42. Amanda March 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

You were featured today at Today's Top 20! I'd love if you stopped by!

Amanda

43. bingo~bonnie April 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

oh how cute! Recently my 3yr. old twins made at their preschool little "quilts" by cluing fabrics onto a cardboard and then the teacher cut them at large diamond shaped pieces so that they looked like the quilt was spread out on the ground under their learning trees at home for the letter "Q"

After reading your post and seeing this great project – what a cool way to decorate a sewing room… with letters "I love Quilting" or "I heart fabric!" or "will work for fabric"

anything! 🙂 Great idea!
    Love from Texas! ~bonnie

44. Ali July 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

hey allison! i found this post as a pin on pinterest. it totally inspired me – and your post is front and center on MY post today! thanks for the influence. http://theviewfromthejohnsons.blogspot.com/2011/07/so-so-so-so-crafty.html

45. Lanetta September 13, 2013 at 9:53 am #

This is not just for little hands! I can think of lots of uses! Thank you for sharing this clever idea… very timely! I've included this link in a blog article! http://lanettascreations.blogspot.com/2013/09/scrappy-things-bakers-dozen.html#.UjLe38asiSo

46. Lisa Ferrier July 2, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks for the great idea – we are always looking for ideas for our curriculum kits. We give them out monthly to Family Day Care Homes on our program – such a good idea!

Lisa Ferrier, M.Ed
    Valley Oak Children's Services
    Chico, CA 95926
    lferrier@valleyoakchildren.org

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Easy Toddler Crafts: 25 to Try This Afternoon - February 25, 2016

[…] Fabric scrap alphabet love this for making use of fabric scraps! […]