The 14th of July quilt

Previously known as the 4th of July quilt….it is now my 14th of July quilt.  Only 10 days late…not too bad right? IMG_9321 I quilted this with super simple straight lines down the seams leaving the stars with no quilting on them.  I had plans to free motion quilt this one…but thought it would be just too much for a quilt this busy on its own.  I might go back and add a square of quilting in the center of each star…but I like it just like it is. IMG_9323 The back and binding are from the Denyse Schmidt collection at Joann’s.  After using this collection in many quilts, I’ve had my fill.  I just need to use up the few pieces I have left of it. This is my favorite block: IMG_9329 The quilt top can be seen here.    The tutorial for this quilt can be found here. Speaking of quilting…the Sewing Summit is sneaking up on me.  I can’t believe its only 3 months away.  I am teaching the class on free motion quilting and if you can come its going to be fun!  Find out more about the Sewing Summit in Salt Lake City here. tss125 I haven’t told my husband yet that he and the kids aren’t coming with me…just my machine and I are going to this one.  We’ll see how he takes the news.  🙂

39 Responses to The 14th of July quilt

1. Ginger July 14, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Love it! I'm so glad you didn't stick with the traditional red/white/blue only. I think the extra colors really add pop to the quilt.

2. Barbara July 14, 2011 at 11:23 am #

I definitely love it! Very patriotic, and beautiful.

3. realistmom July 14, 2011 at 11:24 am #

Gorgeous! It's funny how we always end up with a favorite block in a quilt!

4. KJ@letsgoflyakite July 14, 2011 at 11:34 am #

The 14th of July is a national holiday in France – Bastille Day!, maybe it's your Bastille Day Quilt – red, white, and blue are common colours as well.

Love your quilt!

5. Tiffany July 14, 2011 at 11:42 am #

I like it better as a 14th of July quilt (I'm not overly patriotic). 🙂 Lovely either way!!

6. carriegel July 14, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

You're not 10 days late; you're 355 days early!

7. Lori July 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Absolutely beautiful!

8. Mary July 14, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Stunning, really. I star block you like the best is really gorgeous; I studied it and can't imagine how you made it. And all your seams line up – when I used to make a few quilts, never did get my seams to line up (not even close). Thanks for sharing the beauty with us. I know you're very excited about the Sewing Summit!

9. Briawna July 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

hey, you're patriotic in france! Red, white, and bleu for bastille day. by the way, there's no such thing as a "late" quilt, just a finished one. That's my motto, or I'd spend lots of late nights sewing frantically. 🙂

10. notes of sincerity July 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Truly. I love this quilt!! :o) So much so that I created one for our family too. :o) Here is my link : http://notesofsincerity.blogspot.com/2011/07/seeing-stars-quilt.html . Thank you so much for showing us how! :o)
    Sincerely, Trish

11. randi July 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

very nice! i always love your addition of grey. look great!

12. Debbie July 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Very nice! I really like it!

13. leigh July 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

I love how it turned out! As soon as I saw it I wanted to make my own 4th of July quilt too! Maybe for next year.

14. Melissa @ Happy Quilting July 14, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Love the quilt!! I am so excited to attend your class. I just signed up 2 days ago 🙂 Luckily for me, my mom lives in Salt Lake and has agreed to watch my brand new baby (I am due on the 25 of September 🙂 It wouldn't be near as fun if I had to bring her along 🙂

15. SewSara July 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

i SO wish i could go to sewing summit! 🙁
    i love the 14th of july quilt!

16. Sharon Pernes July 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

I love this quilt!

17. Leslie July 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

this is such an amazing quilt….i have still a little inkling of hope that i might make it to the sewing summit

18. diane July 14, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

this is so lovely. Love the stars and the fabric choices.

19. Natalie July 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

I love this quilt! It makes me want to make a star quilt 🙂
    I'm so excited because I recently decided to go to the sewing summit, and I hope to take your class! I love free motion quilting, and I'm hoping to sharpen my skills. Can't wait!

20. Cheryl Arkison July 14, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Definitely a Bastille Day quilt. Pretty cool, regardless.
    And I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets tired of fabric after a few times of using it. That's why I don't buy much of anything.

21. Live a Colorful Life July 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Grey is a nice addition to the red, white and blue. Good luck on the Sewing Summit. I just came back from a quilting retreat in Minnesota. Fabulous! Except for traveling with the sewing machine as carry-on…

22. K Weston July 14, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

I love that you have favorites. Thought I was the only one. But I also sort them into "fabulous" squares and "meh" squares and then try to distribute the "fabulous" squares across the quilt to overwhelm the no-so squares. Makes for serious arrangement issues when you try to no have the same fabric touching or the same color touching OR the same level of fabulous-ness touching.
    I might have issues.

23. Modern Amish July 14, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

It turned out lovely. I still am yet to touch my stack of picnics and fairgrounds. Soon, hopefully, soon.

24. Ashley July 15, 2011 at 12:22 am #

It's a gorgeous quilt – perfect for any day in July! (and of course perfect for all those other months too!) you're making me want to make a star quilt!

25. Carol July 15, 2011 at 12:24 am #

Beautiful, perfect for any day.
    Carol xx

26. Caroline Ingalls July 15, 2011 at 6:58 am #

The good news is that 14 th of July is the French national Day so the colors are perfect and you are right on time!

27. Bonny July 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

Love it, love it, love it:)

28. Julie July 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

I need some help … I am making a hexagon quilt and I can not piece it together….. http://julieethompson.blogspot.com/2011_07_01_archive.html?zx=f9334262efb8fb93

can you please help me?

29. tea with hazel July 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm #

love it..i would love to do something similar with an australian design..the colours would be the same though..jane

30. Linda at Roscoe's Ma July 16, 2011 at 4:03 am #

Very pretty quilt, Allison, as usual!! I sampled my first cream stick today and thought of you…

31. Cat July 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

Beautiful star quilt, very fresh looking!

I'll have to look into the Sewing Summit, I'm just up in Ogden.

32. Theophanie July 17, 2011 at 2:11 am #

It turned out so nice. And, I would be pleased if I could manage to keep things only 10 days late!

33. Mrs.Hearts July 17, 2011 at 3:20 am #

It was so fun to see your Off Track quilt pattern in my local quilt shop in Bellingham, Washington this week, complete with a sample quilt all made up! I was tickled to tell my daughter that I follow the blog of the lady that created this pattern!

Mrs. Hearts~

34. Tonia July 18, 2011 at 2:35 am #

This is SOOOO beautiful. I have quilt envy. I totally want to copy you and make one for my house (eventually). Thanks for sharing!

35. Julie July 20, 2011 at 3:55 am #

Wow! I don't think it matters how late it may be. This is gorgeous!

36. pharmgirlfollies.com July 24, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

that is a ohmygoodnessitsgorgeous any day quilt! WOW!

37. Beth August 3, 2011 at 2:57 am #

I love how updated traditional stars look when you add the aqua to the red, white, and blue color scheme. And I'm crazy about the floral in te foreground of the first picture. Thanks for sharing!

38. the Campfollower August 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

I love this quilt! You did an awesome job on it.

39. Sandra Henderson August 19, 2011 at 1:23 am #

love it! I made a quilt of stars like this, but bigger stars for mine and piano key border, but anyways, I did the same type of quilting! Then, I came back and hand quilted around each star, just to add something special since it was going to my daughter. You can ALWAYS come back and add more later. GREAT WORK!