Fresh and Clean

My old pillow covers were gross.  They live on the floor 90% of the time because for some reason pillows are meant to be thrown on the floor by little boys + husband…so it was time for new ones.
It’s a fun quick project and I forget how much I enjoy looking at new pillows on my couch, plus that patchwork pillow was all scraps…gotta love that.   I used this tutorial to install an invisible zipper in them so they can go into the wash often.

37 Responses to Fresh and Clean

1. randi November 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

cute pillows! i love quick and easy projects for the house!

2. Peggy November 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

I love the pillows! This is definitely a project I need to undertake as we have the same issue at our house… except it is big boys! I love the foil of the bright pillows against a leather sofa any day!

3. Kelsey November 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

So cute! I was just thinking last night about how our couch desperately needs some new pillows too!

4. Kate @SwimBikeQuilt November 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

So bright and cheery. Looks great!

5. Mary November 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

You did a great job! They really are cute and with boys that zipper will come in handy. This is my firs tvisit to your site, so I took some time to browse through some of your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

6. Cranberry Morning November 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

That's such a great idea, instead of just tossing them out! I love the look of many sofa pillows here and there. So colorful. Great job. :-)

7. JanuaryT November 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

You gotta love a project that is made up of all scraps. No waste!! I love pillows, you know I need to go make some now!! January T

8. Linda November 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

What wonderful pillows! I raised three sons and I understand completely! They think couch cushions and throw pillows are for building forts and having pillow fights!

9. Stacey November 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

That's so funny. That's exactly where my pillows live their lives. What is it about boys and pillows. I'm starting to think I should just give away the couches and make floor cushions. Maybe I wouldn't be the crazy lady screaming about her pillows being on the floor all the time. Great pillows!

10. Live a Colorful Life November 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Really cute pillows! They look great against that leather couch. (I really like the green legs of that table…)

11. Kristie November 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

Yes- what IS it about kids and pillows on the floor??? These are very cute (and washable!).

12. Stacy November 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

How cute! Now, I want to make new covers for my pillows. My hubby and daughters seem to think ours belong on the floor too.

13. Kris November 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Love it! I adore pillows. My hubby hates them. MEN!

14. Jeannie November 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

What do you use for a pillow form inside?

15. Becky November 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

They are very pretty. Thanks for sharing!

16. Heather D. November 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Just lovely! The yellow zigzags are great.

17. Michelle November 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

My couch is in desperate need of some pillows! Your pillows are so lovely. I love the chevrons…where did you find the fabric??

18. Quilted Cats November 3, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

What fabulous pillows, love them. I looked at mine yesterday and thought they needed a face lift. Guess I know what I'll be doing. Love your "Modern Quilt". Kona fabrics are so
    great to work with. I've been using Kona in my embroidery work.

19. rilojane November 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Seriously… WHAT IS UP with throwing the pillows on the floor, boys?! A few months ago I made seven much needed pillows for our couch. The first few weeks I thought I'd go CRAZY always having to pick up those darn things. Now we've compromised that I'll pick them up and complain less as long as they don't throw them on the floor as much. :)
    I really like your yellow zig-zaggy fabric.

20. Jamie Lee November 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

I love them! I have been on a pillow making kick myself. I have been making all my pillows with an envelope style back, but I think I will try the zipper now. I've done zippers a few times…they really aren't that difficult.

I have already made several of my Christmas gifts and a couple were couch pillows for my dad. I recycled some old bed pillows. Just cut the end off and took out the old stuffing, refluffed it, and then stuffed the +heck+ out of the new pillow I made with muslin. The kids helped. I like pillows extra firm!

21. chris November 3, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

Love the happy colors your chose.

22. BillieBee (billiemick) November 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

Great pillows!

23. bethanndodd November 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

Your new pillows make me happy. I think I have that same yellow zigzag fabric…I should go make myself a happy pillow too! Smiles~Beth

24. Danielle November 3, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

I'm glad it's not jus me then – my kids are always chucking pillows on the floor and I'm forever putting them back again. I think we are due for some new ones too. And your couches look the same as mine so I'm pleased to see these bright colours looking so fab against the chocolate brown leather!!

25. lifeinredshoes November 4, 2011 at 12:22 am #

You make the best stuff! What size squares did you use?

26. Wendy November 4, 2011 at 12:29 am #

I've been dreaming of making pillows! It's been all talk so far but maybe this weekend…

27. Dolores November 4, 2011 at 12:49 am #

I have one boy in particular who always throws the pillows on the floor! I have a choc brown leather lounge too and have been telling myself that I need to make some fun cushion covers. I've had a bit of a sewing and blogging break and it's really hard to get started again… my to do list is weighing me down and my fabric storage is overflowing!!! :-)

28. Dolores November 4, 2011 at 12:50 am #

BTW, I forgot to say how much I loved the cushions!

29. Cola November 4, 2011 at 1:21 am #

Those are super cute!! I just bought some chevron fabric in yellow and teal to make pillows too :)

Did you quilt the top of the pieced pillow or put a lining on it? Just wondering if there's some secret tricks that I don't know about!

30. mujus November 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

Couch candies! Lovely! :)

31. Lizzie November 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

I love pillows. I don't know why I don't make them. They are so darned expensive to buy! The yellow chevrons are really fresh. They may bring me out of my war on chevrons. Maybe.

32. Heather November 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

Love the new pillow!!
    Do you mind if I ask where you got your happiness picture in the background?? I love that picture but I have no idea where to find it!

33. Gayle November 6, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

This is a great idea. Love the cushions

34. Elizabeth November 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Love the patchwork — they'll be nice and summery during the winter!

35. michelle November 8, 2011 at 3:58 am #

Males! I hope they like your new cushions, they are just gorgeous.

36. Pati @ A Crafty Escape November 17, 2011 at 1:52 am #

They are beautiful and it's comforting to know that the pillow fight doesn't only happen at my house :)

37. Sew Much Ado November 17, 2011 at 5:56 am #

Those look great! And ditto about the pillows on the floor! My boys (and husband too) do the same thing, I finally told my four year old he's on permanent pillow duty, which lasted for about a day before he realized it wasn't fun, haha :).