Uber-crinkly Improv Quilt

I finally got this quilt finished…the scrappy binding is perfect for it.  It crinkled up SO much in the wash…I don’t’ think I’ve ever had one crinkle up so much.  Or maybe I just haven’t washed a new quilt in awhile and I wasn’t expecting this:
to crinkle to this:
Don’t get me wrong I still love it…but sometimes I wonder why on earth I worry about quilting it nicely if you can’t even tell once it’s washed.  I even pre-washed the backing on this one.  Anyways…I’m not sure if I’ll keep this one or find it a new home…it’s a nice small size, maybe 28″ x 36″…good for a car seat quilt!

51 Responses to Uber-crinkly Improv Quilt

1. marysza February 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

ohhh this is so beautiful..!!!!

2. Tiffany February 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Very pretty and I love the quilting on it!

3. Ruth February 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Hmmm, so many quilts these days are thin. I suppose it's because they fit under a longarm quilting machine?

4. Truffle queen February 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Personally, I love the crinkly! Looks "loved" but not worn out! Maybe you should keep it!!!

5. Kristi February 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Such great colors in that quilt. And I, too, love the crinkle. It makes it look like a quilt that will be used and not just one make for hanging on a wall. I always figure the more they crinkle, the more heat they'll keep from escaping while I'm curled up under it watching TV or sleeping!

6. randi--i have to say February 20, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

very cute and crinkly! i really like the scrappy binding!

7. KaHolly February 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I love the crinkly look!! Did you prewash the fabrics you used to piece the top, too? If not, that might be why it crinkled as much as it did. It's beautiful to me!

8. Kate February 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Ha! I feel exactly opposite about the crinkling – when I'm quilting and I mess up I think, 'Well the crinkling will hide a multitude of sins…thank goodness!" I guess it depends on your skill level!

9. Shannyn February 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

This is so darling! I love how bright and cheery and crinkly it is! Well done!

10. bethanndodd February 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

I remember this quilt! I love it just as much as when you first shared it…crinkles and all!Smiles~Beth

11. Just Carol February 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Love the colors and the crinkles!

12. sonia February 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

It is besutiful! Crinkly or not 😉

13. Kara February 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

I' m finding that I don't want to quilt any closer than 1" because of the crinkle factor. If I want tocut down on the crinkle I also go with Dream Poly or Dream Puff. Dream Puff is like magic. It's fabulous to machine or hand quilt & then something magical happens in the dryer.

14. Andrea February 20, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

I'm on the fence with regards to pre-wash to 'prevent' crinkles, vs no prewashing and embrace the crinkles. For me, it comes down to the style of quilt and the use. I personally think yours looks so cozy and lovely all crinkly =)

15. Annie February 20, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

It looks lovely! I like them not quite so crinkly, but uber crinkly looks so loved doesn't it!

16. Claire Jain February 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

I just try to embrace the crinkling as part of the fun . . . not unlike shrinky sinks 😉

17. Lis February 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

I love the crinkly, a lot.. Are you interested in selling it??
    lisamcgriff@hotmail.com

18. Jayme February 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Uh, Keep it! Totally keep it. Or give it to me. Hahahhaha! Super cute!!!!!

19. Tracy February 20, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

So pretty. I must say that I love the crinkly…a lot! That is what makes a quilt for me and what has always drawn me to quilts! If you give it away, they are going to love it! Bless you for your love!!

20. Melissa February 20, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

I love the crinkle effect! I wonder if it is the type of quilting? My mom did a quilt for me that random loopy pattern like you used and it is really crinkly, but on others with different paterns, yet the same fabric it didn't crinkle as much. Just wondering if that could be why. Still a darling quilt!

21. Becky February 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Beautiful little quilt and I am also always a little surprised when my quilts crinkle up like that. It gives it that antique look though, and just love it.

22. Little Star Cottons February 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Looks beautiful with the crinkles, I'm a grid line quilter but this is tempting me to try free motion quilting !

23. Kricket February 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Your quilt is adorable. And…even though its crinkly you still notice the beautiful workmanship. Love it!

24. Jennifer Isackson February 20, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

I love it! How much would you sell it for? Send me an email if you are looking to sell it.

jenisackson@hotmail.com

25. Token Asian Friend February 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

I've found that when I've done tight spiral quilting, that is when my quilts look the crinkliest. I love it!

26. Sewcando February 20, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

I find that the cotton bat will shrink. Did you use a cotton batting? I don't mind the look but I know where you are coming from.

27. Dianne February 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

I'm not fond of the crinkle look so wash all of my fabric and the bat before assembly.
    Your quilt is darling though and I suspect a little person would love to have it to cuddle in the car.

28. Lotti February 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

so pretty

29. Kristy February 20, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

Im with Dianne, if I want to avoid the crinkle I pre wash everything, including the batting.

30. QuiltinMama February 21, 2012 at 12:01 am #

Personally, I don't like 'em if they're NOT crinkly!

31. iluvmybugs February 21, 2012 at 2:38 am #

This is so pretty…love the crinkles!!! 🙂
    ~Terry~

32. Cecelia February 21, 2012 at 3:11 am #

Love your quilt….so pretty!

33. {northern cottage} February 21, 2012 at 3:28 am #

soooo very very darling! this is gorgeous!

34. Dawn February 21, 2012 at 6:36 am #

I love it! In my house the more crinkles the better. 🙂

Heavy quilting can cause shrinkage of as much as 6" from the length and width. Then depending on fabric and batting the quilt can shrink 2%-4% when you wash and dry it.

It's lovely and I think you should keep it. You don't have to give everything away. 🙂

35. Judy Blinkenberg February 21, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Your quilts are so beautiful, I don't see any concerns. Your baby will love it as I do. Wish I could quilt like you.

36. Oknana February 21, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Love, Love, Love the Crinkly look and YES, Keep it for your baby! It is just beautiful!!! So cozy and warm looking! This is how I pray all my quilts come out once washed. It's a keeper definitely!

37. ~Niki~ February 21, 2012 at 11:46 am #

I think if you only prewash one large piece it crinkles more. dunno. either way it's lovely. you can always send it to me if you don't want it (wink) 🙂
    have a great tuesday!

38. Nancy February 21, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

It's beautiful and I love the crinkly!

39. Lucy @ Charm About You February 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

It's beautiful! I love the uber-crinkly!

40. Candyce February 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Crinkly depends on what type of batting you use. 100% cotton shrinks 3-5%. 80% will shrink too. 100% poly not at all. Water and dryer temp matter too. If you don't want it to shrink a lot, prewash your batt or do only cold water and air dry. candy

41. Stacy February 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Love the crinkle, love the pattern, love the quilting!

42. Live a Colorful Life February 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Love everything about it. Keep it! The loopy quilting is way cute!

43. rilojane February 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

A car seat quilt! What a good idea. Whenever I see a quilt I want to make for someone (myself included) I get stuck in the rut of "Queen size? Twin size? Throw?" and decide to not make it because it seems like we're all overflowing with blankets.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

44. able mabel February 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

It's adorable! I love how it turned out!

45. TwoLovebugs February 23, 2012 at 2:01 am #

Very cute!

46. sleepycathollow February 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

I love uber-crinkly quilts! 😉 All my grandma's, g-grandma's and gg-grandma's quilts are that way!

As to Ruth's comment up there regarding the thinness of today's quilts? She must be stuck in the 80's when they used 3" poly batting…ick!

My family quilts from the 30's-40's all have bed sheets, wool blankets, or very thin cotton batting…some are even thinner than what I make now!

47. Stephanie February 23, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

The quilt and the quilting are both just lovely, but I have to say, my favorite thing to do once a quilt is finished, it to throw it in the wash and have that wonderful crinkly goodness fresh from the drier. Delightful!

48. Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates February 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

I love the look of it now when you washed it. It looks cozy and warm and used, the best.

49. Stella B's Kitchen February 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

LOVE the crinkly…much better than pressed and pristine!!

50. daisy and jack February 27, 2012 at 10:19 am #

I love the crinklyness 🙂

51. Sherry February 28, 2012 at 1:40 am #

I love the crinkly look. They are so nice to snuggle under. My favorite couch quilt I quilted very close together & the more I wash & dry it the softer it gets, love it. Your quilt is so cute!