Strip and Flip Quilt

I’ve been meaning to finish this little quilt for too long…it took me all of 2 hours to get it finished, after 7 long months of thinking about finishing it!
I quilted this one with a large-ish meandering/stippling pattern…I wanted to do some fancy straight line but I went with my old stand-by in the end.  It works well for boy-ish quilts.  The backing is this beautiful green print.
The tutorial for this quilt can be found here.
My husband bought this chair for me at Goodwill for $10 after Christmas.  It’s nice and simple looking, and is now in my front yard getting coats of taupe-ish spray paint.   🙂
My friend Auntie Pami is giving away a copy of Modern Quilts for the Blogging Universego here!

46 Responses to Strip and Flip Quilt

1. Anita January 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

The quilt is lovely and the chair too. It sounds like it will be beautiful when it's finished.

2. beaquilter January 10, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

th quilt is so cute and fun! bet it would look great in a jelly roll too. the chair kind of looks like ethan allen.

3. Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures January 10, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Lovin the book and chair….headed over to Anti's now!

4. trish January 10, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Oh what a sweet chair. :o)
    Aren't we funny. We think about doing something for so long and then when we complete it, we wonder why we had not done that sooner. :o)

5. Cranberry Morning January 10, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

I like that quilt!! That is so colorful and a pattern that even I might try. Lovely.

6. Cranberry Morning January 10, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

I pinned the quilt – and attributed it to you, of course.♥

7. Johanna January 10, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Looks great! That backing is beautiful!

8. Chelsie C January 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

I've been looking at that pattern for awhile and this might just push me to do it. Where did you get that adorable airplane fabric with the clouds and rainbows?

9. Jean Burke January 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

The quilt is terrific! Well done…..please post a picture of the chair when it's finished! Thanks….

10. Kristine Hanson January 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

I used your tut to make a quilt for a new baby in our family last summer….it turned out awesome!

11. Becky January 10, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Love the bright colors of this quilt. The chair is going to be super cute. It's fun to find bargains like that and refurbish or repurpose.

12. Lucy @ Charm About You January 10, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

Fab finish! I've had that pattern bookmarked, it's great. Gorgeous chair too, my husband got me a rocking chair and it's so comfortable. Enjoy!

13. Heather D. January 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

I love seeing this finished! I pinned your quilt top and tutorial a while back and just love it.

14. Staci January 10, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

What a sweet quilt! Isn't it funny how things we have put off for ages can turn out to be so easy? Thanks for the inspiration.

15. *katie January 10, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

Pretty quilt and cute chair!

16. Sheila January 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Beautiful quilt.
    Awesome $10 find! Hope you post an 'after paint' picture.

17. Meg January 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

My folks have the same rocker! Have had it since before I was born, actually–they hold up very well. Can't wait to see it in its new color!

18. Tsoniki January 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

I love that quilt. I want to make one too! And great rocking chair, I had one similar to it years ago. Sometimes I miss it, but I'm also short so I don't. LOL

19. Paige January 10, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

Very cute quilt! Can't wait to see the chair makeover!

20. lifeinredshoes January 11, 2013 at 12:40 am #

You know it's not only that you have great sewing skills, but you have such a great eye for choosing fabric!

21. Rebecca Grace January 11, 2013 at 2:53 am #

It's funny that you think of stippling/meandering as taking the easy way out. I'm TERRIFIED to do any stippling! I never know where to go and I get these wonky points and horns in my stippling. Congratulations on a lovely finish and a UFO laid to rest so early in the New Year!

22. Cheerful Homemaker January 11, 2013 at 2:57 am #

I love the striped binding!

23. Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy January 11, 2013 at 4:16 am #

Absolutely beautiful – and I love the meandering – perfect!

24. Lynne Shandley January 11, 2013 at 4:24 am #

When I've finished quilting them, I'll share the strip and flip quilts (or inspired by them) that I'm making for the (our) local Children's Hospital. Yours looks grand!

25. Helen L January 11, 2013 at 5:26 am #

that quilt is lovely: love the strips with the white inserted!! And that rocking chair looks like the one I rocked my girls in!! (hmm… wonder where it is now…) Hope you get to rock your sweet one in yours!! Hugs from Helen

26. Katy January 11, 2013 at 5:42 am #

Ooooh! I love that. I have a couple of Jelly Rolls that I have been afraid to unwrap and this looks like a perfect and quick way to put them to use.

27. Melissa January 11, 2013 at 6:25 am #

I might have the matching rocking chair to yours. Mine is a Nickels and Stone, which is a pretty pricey brand. Love it, got it at an estate sale. Can't wait to see yours painted, maybe I will get brave and paint mine too.

28. cottonreel January 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

Love the quilt , I have been cutting peices for a similar one for ages
    PLEASE be careful of the childrens tootsies under the bottom of the chair

29. Christine January 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

I used a rocking chair exactly like that one for my babies – finally got rid of it after 30+ years because I ended up with more than enough furniture. Enjoy. And I love the quilt!

30. cyndiofthevortex January 11, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

I laughed when I saw your Goodwill chair. I got one exactly like it last year for $10 at Goodwill, too! I love it and look forward to seeing yours painted as mine is still varnished wood. I shake my head in amazement whenever I take out a UFO that I've been unable to finish and find it works up in no time at all. I guess we all do that! Congrats on getting yours done. It's pretty.

31. Lynne Tilley January 11, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

Love your quilt! I must do this. I know you are glad to get it done. Why do we put these things off ? 🙂
    Love the chair! What a bargain.

32. Carie January 11, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

What a gorgeous quilt – I love the white borders, they break up the lines just enough for it all to make your eyes go funny in a good way!

33. Laura Lane January 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

I'm so bad about putting a project off and then finishing it quickly. I had a chair like that. Loved it. It's nice and low to the ground for my shortish legs. ~smile~

Do drop in at Harvest Lane Cottage!

Laura

34. evamarie January 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

everytime I see a new picture pop up in my sidebar I'm thinking, no she can't have finished another quilt! How do you do that? And I love this one too! Thank you also for the machine binding tutorial, I will defintely try it!

35. Di~ January 15, 2013 at 1:03 am #

OK, Allison, I'm onto you! I saw it right over there by Camille's new one! Awesome! Growing Up Modern looks absolutely wonderful! Way to go.

36. ZHOBEYDA January 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

HOLA, COMO STAS? TUS TRABAJOS SON HERMOSO, TE FELICITO, QUE DIOS BENDIGA TU CREATIVIDAD.. AHORA TE SIGO, VISITAME TAMBIÉN, SIEMPRE SERAS BIENVENIDA.. ANIMATE.. BESOS, ABRAZOS Y BENDICIONES.
    ZHOBEYD@….

37. Ann January 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

Question: When you bind in gray, what color do you stitch in. I've been hand binding my quilts, but I think I'm going to give machine binding a go. I have a white quilt I'm binding in gray. Thread color white? Better to show up on back than on front?

Beautiful, as always!

38. allison January 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Hi Ann! I couldn't find anyway to email you back…so I hope you see this! If I'm picky, I'll use a top thread that is grey, and a bobbin thread that matches the color of the quilting thread…so in your case white. If you don't mind the white thread showing in the back binding, then you could just use white. I usually try to match the color of the binding strip on the top thread, and the color of the quilting thread in the bobbin. Hope that makes sense? -Allison

39. Ann January 16, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

THANKS!

40. TerryH January 18, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Saw this Flip & Stitch quilt last year, and had to make it. Sold it to a friend & it went to a new baby in England!! Plan to make a couple more. So Cute!! Thanks.

41. Ada January 19, 2013 at 6:58 am #

Beautiful quilt, love the colours!

42. Carla January 31, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

This sew sounded like me. I've been working on a simple quilt and need to finish and the baby boy is now 7 months old. I get to a point and stop then finally pick it up to start again. Work and life seem to get in my way. LOL

43. Stephanie February 14, 2013 at 11:28 pm #

That chair brings back such wonderful memories for me. It looks exactly like the one my mom used to rock me and my brother in when we were young. She kept it and it was always meant to go to me when I had my babies but sadly it was damaged in shipping when they moved.

44. Tammie March 29, 2016 at 1:43 pm #

I love this pattern. I also want to learn to meander FMQ all over exactly like you did! Do you have any pointers?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Strip and Flip Baby Quilt | Cluck Cluck Sew - February 11, 2016

[…] July 13, 2012   This fun scrappy quilt is quick to put together and great for beginners. Use lots of different colors to keep it bright and fun…or just a few colors to keep it calm and simple.     Finished Size:  36″ x 41″     1.  You’ll need to cut 27  color strips 2″ x width of the fabric (at least 36″) and  2 white strips 1 1/2″ x width of the fabric (at least 42″).     2.  Lay the color strips out in the order you want them.     3.  Using a 1/4″ seam allowance, sew the strips into pairs first…then sew the pairs all together.  Alternate the sewing direction when sewing the strips/pairs together, and don’t pull the strips…this will help prevent stretching and keep the strips straight.     4.  Press the seams open.  This takes a bit more time but the nice straight seams are worth it!     5.  Fold the length of the quilt top in half and align it carefully on the cutting mat.  Trim the edges straight until the quilt top is 35″ wide.     6.  With the quilt still on the cutting table, make a cut 8″ in from the right side.  Make another cut 5″ in from the last cut.     7.  Sew a white strip onto each side of the 5″ strip.  Press towards the white strips and trim the ends.     8.  Rotate the strip 180 degrees, and sew the strip back in between the larger pieces to make the quilt top.  Press towards the white strips.     Fast, fun, and CUTE! To see how I finished this quilt see the post here.  […]

2. Rainbow Babyquilt | akhimo - February 15, 2016

[…] Quilt-Muster ist der Strip and Flip Quilt, gefunden auf Allison Blog Cluck Click Sew. Super einfach – nicht nur dank der wunderbaren […]