Winter snowballs

Snowball quilt, Cluck Cluck Sew_thumb
I made this quilt and pattern a couple of months ago for the November issue of Love Patchwork and Quilting Magazine.
I wanted something that felt a bit Christmas-y without using red and green…so I used different shades of aqua and teal with a few grays thrown in for variety.
This backing and binding fabric are from Joann’s, by Patty Young.  I love a bold backing to match a simple quilt front and this print is beautiful!
In case you forgot there are only 21 days until Christmas…21 days!!!

I’m so excited…my kids are such fun ages to make cookies and crafts and buy presents for.  They are thrilled with anything and it is  Remind me I said that in 3 weeks will you?  Thanks.  😉

36 Responses to Winter snowballs

1. Angela Atkins December 5, 2013 at 3:16 am #

Well, I LIKE this snowball quilt. I usually don't–the white contrast bothers me or something. Now I need to go look at others and see how this is different. Maybe the octagons? It's beautiful and can't wait for that issue to be available here!

2. Heather December 5, 2013 at 3:21 am #

I miss those times with the children now that mine are grown. I am hoping that soon I can start baking and crafting with my grandchildren but I am enjoying sewing a few gifts for them this year. Love the snowball quilt.

3. Carsla Peyton December 5, 2013 at 3:28 am #

Well done! The colors are lovely for all year around! I look forward to your future posts ; D

<3 Carsla
    Founder & CEO of Connect-the-Cloths
    A stylist's, foodie's, & writer's blog in development.

4. handmadeby EvaRose December 5, 2013 at 4:32 am #

Love the aqua and red combo, very fresh and can take you into spring with the poppies on the reverse.

I like the way you broke it up with white too. Thank you for sharing

5. Di~ December 5, 2013 at 4:33 am #

OK, I love this quilt, the colors, everything! and yes, I do so remember when my girls loved all the fun Christmas stuff…now they don't live by me and they are all grown up, if I do it, I do it alone! :l

6. Cath December 5, 2013 at 5:13 am #

These are my Christmas colours this year and I would love that quilt to adorn my couch.

7. Kellie December 5, 2013 at 5:31 am #

Oh I love that quilt… those are my colors!!!! I'll have to look for that mag next time I'm at Joanns

8. knitnkwilt December 5, 2013 at 5:52 am #

That quilt is stunning. The fabric for the back is so perfect–the big flower about the same size as the red snowballs. I like the idea of Christmasy without being in your face.

9. margaret December 5, 2013 at 6:20 am #

your colours give it a real winter look, very nice.The aqua is so cool looking

10. DeborahGun December 5, 2013 at 7:27 am #

I love this quilt. The backing fabric is amazing too – wish I lived near a Joanns!

11. Luanne Pang December 5, 2013 at 7:51 am #

Beautiful quilt! Someday I will try making for my family.

12. Penny December 5, 2013 at 9:16 am #

This is gorgeous, I love the aqua instead of a more traditional green. Fresher!

13. Carie December 5, 2013 at 10:07 am #

I love that aqua and red combination, it's like Christmas but with icing – just gorgeous!

14. Liane Weber December 5, 2013 at 11:34 am #

This quilt is great! I love that color combo, it's accessible to non-Christmas celebrators, and also year-round quiltmaking!

15. Diane-crewe December 5, 2013 at 11:56 am #

LOVE the quilt .. front and back .. and the magazine xx well done x

16. Denise Briese December 5, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

I love that quilt…Tried to find the issue. Is it only available in UK? I work about 80 hours a week and have totally missed it!. WIll it be in your shop?

17. Auntie Pami December 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

I do like that magazine and will have to watch B&N for it. I'm sure going to miss all the hoopla with the holidays since we just moved to Arizona, maybe next year.

18. Marjorie's Busy Corner December 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Beautiful quilt!! I love the colors and the backing is stunning

19. withajoyfulheart December 5, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Totally loving the colours you chose. Very soft yet with a pop contrasted with the white. Awesome.

20. Nancy Reinke December 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

A very cheery quilt. I really like your choice of colors and patterns. And that backing is a perfect addition. Love this.

21. Conni December 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

wow, I love it!! great colours, and cute pattern

22. ~Diana December 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

I've made my daughter a log cabin quilt out of red/aqua…love that combo! Your quilt looks great. Good luck with your sanity! :) At least the time between TD/Christmas is shorter…less time to "lose" it. :)

23. Rhadonda Sedgwick December 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

This is AWESOME! Love it. Will you eventually release the pattern in your store too?

24. Judith Blinkenberg December 5, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

It is different than the other snowball quilts which makes it unique and I really like this. And its not a pattern that is in the U.S. I love your Christmas fabric, much nicer than green and red. Thanks for sharing!

25. Michelle Jensen December 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

That print is super super cute and I didn't know Carina designed fabric at Joanns. Nice. I will have to check it out sometime :) Very Very cute Quilt Allison! I'll be your friend too, lol.

26. Angela Smith December 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

What a beautiful quilt, I'm going to run out and try and buy this magazine for the pattern. Love your colours. Enjoy your children they grow up sooooo fast! Make good memories!

27. allison December 5, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Denise you can find it at Barnes and Nobles in a little while….it comes out a few weeks later than in the UK so you'll still be able to find it at Joann's or Barnes and Noble in a couple of weeks. -Allison

28. Becky December 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Such a cute pattern and beautiful quilt! I am currently working on a quilt in those colors for our master bedroom. So fun!

29. Manualidades December 5, 2013 at 10:49 pm #

Fantastica la manta. No sé donde compras las telas pero estoy enamorada de ellas, son preciosas y me gusta mucho como las convinas.
    Un abrazo.

30. cass December 6, 2013 at 12:47 am #

It's beautiful, i love the colour combination you've used, Christmassy but can also be used all year round

31. sophie December 6, 2013 at 8:18 am #

love this quilt!! I just subscribed to the magazine:) and yes Xmas with small kids is a lot of fun! My kids are small too and it is a season I love so much!:)

32. pippi December 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Magnifique, félicitations!

33. Jan Templin December 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

I really like the colors of this quilt. I went in search of the poppy backing fabric and even contact Carina Gardner. She was kind enough to personally respond that the poppy backing fabric is actually that of Patty Young, Modkids, line done exclusively for JoAnn fabrics. It is the Rendezvous line. I just wanted to share that I really enjoy your quilt projects and to share the info I found out about the fabric.

34. Kellie January 2, 2014 at 4:40 am #

Allison…. Happy New Year! Do you have any clue where I can purchase issue 2 of this mag? I just got my first issue and it's issue 3… I would really like to get the issue you worked on. I'm having a problem finding it.

35. January 4, 2014 at 3:04 am #

LOVE the quilt and poppy fabric backing. :)

36. January 4, 2014 at 3:04 am #

LOVE the quilt and poppy fabric backing. :)