Sea glass Pinwheels

This quilt top was finished and sent off to it’s new owner last week…when I should have been packing up to move and sewing instead.
I love these soothing “sea glass” colors.  I backed this one in an aqua cuddle fabric with batting inside…it is so heavy and warm.  There is some info on quilting with a minky back in this post, and there is some more info and sizing on how to make the top in this post.
IMG_5521_thumb[1]
We moved last week to a new home in the same town.  Moving with little kids in 90 degree weather is so much fun…said no one ever.
My sewing room looks like this:
Of course it was the first room I wanted to unpack…but the kids seemed to think they need clothes and beds and toys unpacked first…whiners.  😉  So at this rate I’ll have it unpacked in about a year and I’ll show you a better picture.  For now though I’m going to ignore this big mess and take the kids to the beach…happy summer!

53 Responses to Sea glass Pinwheels

1. Dora, the Quilter July 12, 2014 at 1:19 am #

The colors of the seaglass quilt are wonderful. I do hope you can get unpacked and back to sewing soon. (Not being able to sew may be one of the saddest parts of the aftermath of a move.)

2. I am Just One Mom July 12, 2014 at 1:33 am #

Love the colors of your pinwheel quilt.
    I hope your new home will be a place of peace, beauty, love, and creativity.

3. Anita July 12, 2014 at 1:48 am #

Your quilt is gorgeous. I love those colors too. And I love the scrappy low volume background. Yes, moving with little kids is such a joy. Definitly getting their rooms set up first though is a big help to your sanity. :)

4. Auntie Pami July 12, 2014 at 1:49 am #

I totally get the moving in heat. Our first day here was 106 and it was torture to unload our first truck!

5. Mary Marcotte July 12, 2014 at 1:54 am #

That sea glass quilt is gorgeous. The colors are perfect together.
    The only suggestion I have about the kiddos is to remember that if they have beds, they can nap; toys means they can go play; and clothes means only that no one is naked!
    In other words take care of them so you can take care of your sewing room in peace. But yes, I agree, it would be much more fun to unpack the sewing room first.

6. sewn by leanne July 12, 2014 at 2:20 am #

I love the colours next to all the low volume shades. And the green binding just sets everything off so nicely! Great job !! I'd be very proud to make something this stunning !

7. sewn by leanne July 12, 2014 at 2:20 am #

8. Beautiful quilt! And this post is so timely. I was just looking at an old post of yours showing the beginnings of this quilt and was wondering how you used the HSTs. Now I have my answer!

9. Judith Blinkenberg July 12, 2014 at 2:29 am #

Such a pretty quilt! I love cooler colors. We will beoving in the fall. I don't look forward, but most all my fabric is packed already!

10. Valerie July 12, 2014 at 2:45 am #

Allison – Love the colors & the pinwheels are a perfect fit! I have been wanting to make a quilt just like this for a LOOOONG time! We moved into a new house in December (in Iowa) with a 2.5 year old & a 3 month old. I feel your pain! 😉

11. Maureen Cracknell Handmade July 12, 2014 at 3:02 am #

This is so beautiful Allison!

12. Rachel July 12, 2014 at 3:14 am #

Lovely quilt. Very soothing indeed.

13. Georgi July 12, 2014 at 3:49 am #

Love your pinwheels ~ especially in those colors! I may have to steal this idea. :)

14. Charity July 12, 2014 at 5:08 am #

I love the colors! That is a beautiful quilt.
    We moved in May and my sewing room STILL looks like that… I need some shelving!

15. nerospost July 12, 2014 at 7:21 am #

Good Luck with your umpacking! We start to move next week and the weather is the same here – not fun. I hope we both get our sewing rooms fixed very soon. Have a great summer! x Teje

16. Laurelle July 12, 2014 at 10:49 am #

Gorgeous quilt! I love the colours, just beautiful :) It's freezing here in Australia! Enjoy the summer and good luck unpacking!

17. Cindy July 12, 2014 at 10:52 am #

Love your quilt! Especially that binding with those soothing colors! I'm sure your kids were happy with the idea of going to the beach!:) We have to enjoy the summer while we can- right?:) Have a great weekend!

18. Kathy S. July 12, 2014 at 10:58 am #

Great scrappy goodness! I love the colors you put together. Those black and white dots just make it even more wonderful. Great finish.

19. Sarah Craig July 12, 2014 at 11:47 am #

Priorities, girl! Give those kids some water pistols and send them out to the backyard to play while you unpack your sewing room! Don't that know that mama needs sewing time to say sane?

That being said, it's a gorgeous quilt – love the colors!! Happy summer!

20. queenopearls July 12, 2014 at 11:54 am #

Love the pinwheel quilt and that you finished it before tackling packing/moving.
    As for unpacking… this is what happens when your nanny, gardner, chef, housekeeping staff and so on are M.I.A..
    Congratulations on the move and may you adore your new abode!
    ~ Christina in Cleveland

21. Anne July 12, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Happy Happy Summer to you too. Enjoy the kiddos and the beach. And enjoy the process of settling into a new home. The quilts will always be there when summer is over. Love the sea glass color quilt too. My fav colors.

22. Michele July 12, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

The quilt is lovely! The best part of packing up and then unpacking a sewing room..ian least for me…I always rediscover some fabulous fabric that I forgot I even had!
    It is almost like shopping for fabric in my own sewing room.
    Have fun!

23. Karen July 12, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

When I saw your moving post on Instagram I was thinking, "have guests over now while it's okay for everything to be a mess of boxes!" And here you are sharing your new room that's a mess of boxes! Love it!!!

24. Melia Mae Quilting July 12, 2014 at 2:07 pm #

Just gorgeous!!! I love it. Congrats on moving! You have a lot more courage then I do. We will just stay here until the kids graduate!!!!

25. HeatherG July 12, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

So beautiful! Good luck on your unpacking!

26. Doris Rice July 12, 2014 at 3:08 pm #

The sea glass quilt i lovely. Some of favorite colors. And those darn kids thinking they need bedding and clothes and food. We have quilts to make first! haha

27. jenni July 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

Lovely!

28. Charlotta July 12, 2014 at 7:15 pm #

I, too, moved in the middle of the summer. What's up with that? Never really thought about what a bad idea it was. Fortunately, I don't have any children. At the time, I just had one rather senior dog, who had to be put on Valium, because he was freaking out to the point of having terrible seizures over the move. I'm sure he was convinced we were packing up to move without him!

29. Beth July 12, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

UGh on the move in the heat. I am not sure there is a good time to move.
    I love our sea glass pinwheels. The colors make me want to flee to the nearest beach. (with the quilt)
    Enjoy settling into your new house.

30. Lynne Tilley July 12, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

I have no energy in this hot Texas heat, but seeing your quilt really made me want to jump up and run to my sewing room to quilt! Love this quilt, the cool beachy colors, the whole sea glass thing. Love it so much. Just beautiful!

31. A Quilter's Mission July 13, 2014 at 1:41 am #

Adore this beautiful green. Love the pop of big black/white polka dots. So very cuddly. Welcome to your new home!

32. pandchintz July 13, 2014 at 2:09 am #

Love the colours in this quilt – truly lives up to it's name. Enjoy the beach – the unpacking will still be there…..unfortunately!!

33. ✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ July 13, 2014 at 2:46 am #

Happy moving! Your sewing room will be awesome once you get it unpacked!

I love the colors in your latest quilt. It's a very soothing palette.

34. Di~ July 13, 2014 at 2:49 am #

YOU! are busy. Lovely quilt, love the colors, also.

35. Mojjo July 13, 2014 at 3:43 am #

Don't you hate it when logic and responsibility trump sewing? I can't imagine moving in this heat. I love pinwheels, but never seem to be working on enough patterns with them. Love the quilt!!!

36. Mojjo July 13, 2014 at 3:43 am #

37. SeaBreeze Quilts July 13, 2014 at 4:16 am #

Good luck in your new home Allison! I always loved the little snippets we saw of your old home – it had such lovely light and obvious warmth and love. I hope your new home will be equally wonderful for you and your family.

38. Paula Walsh July 13, 2014 at 8:51 am #

Gorgeous quilt, absolutely love it :)

39. margaret July 13, 2014 at 10:43 am #

a beautiful quilt and may I wish you great happiness in your new home

40. Ellen July 13, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

Congratulations on your move. I hope you aren't too long away from your sewing. The quilt is lovely.

41. Tori July 13, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

This is so gorgeous!! Green has always been my favorite color. The binding is fabulous. I want this on my bed!

42. Donna July 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

The colours are gorgeous. Lovely quilt!

43. Sarah @ Berry Barn Designs July 13, 2014 at 11:35 pm #

I hear you! Our last move we did with three days notice in 110 degree weather with two toddlers underfoot… the least fun move I've ever made! Gotta love when the Army leaves you hanging : P But I think cross town moves are the hardest, Allison, because you do less organizing and packing and more shuttling. Just look at what a stunning last quilt you got in at your old abode, though – LOVE the way the blue greens play with the low volumes. Gorgeous!

44. kathy-o July 14, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

Love the sea glass colors – my favorites! Your sewing room cracks me up…good luck in your new surroundings! xxoo

45. good4life July 14, 2014 at 2:38 pm #

pretty quilt! i love the variety of colours and fabric choices!

46. da28a504-d7b4-11e3-995b-a398acdaf7ad July 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

beautiful quilt! I envy your quilting skills. My corners never seem to match up the way they should. I'm just not exact enough. But, I have managed to make baby quilts for all my 4 granchildren. Each one based on whatever theme the mother chose!

47. Jen July 15, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Hi – congratulations on your new home. I am a big fan of your work, and your blog! You've inspired me throughout my quilting journey. Thank you!

48. Shelley Menninger July 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

Your quilt is beautiful! The colors are awesome. I have a friend who lives in Florida and something like that would be perfect. Love the little background blocks, the music squares, etc. My sewing room is the dining room so yours is at least your own lol.

49. Jessica Christensen July 17, 2014 at 10:46 am #

Yeah, we are moving in less than two weeks (NOT within the same town), and I still have a few projects to finish — which I am going to do today when I also should be packing. I LOVE the colors in your quilt, and I also have a great affinity for pinwheels. Very soothing.

50. junacreationsuk.blogspot.co.uk July 18, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

I loved the whiners comment – that did make me laugh.
    Your sea glass pinwheels are absolutely gorgeous, I love it.

51. Susanne vb July 23, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Seaglass is a beaut! Have fun unpacking. :)

52. Sarah July 25, 2014 at 11:30 am #

Oh I know the feeling! I'm supposed to be packing up the house too. We bought a house and are supposed to be closing next week. Last week I decided to sew instead of pack. It was very therapeutic. We won't be moving for a few more weeks though. Plenty of time!

53. Carla August 26, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

Moving is such a pain and I know I may be doing it again if we find property and build a place to retire to. I really like the pinwheel quilt colors.
    Kids don't they know sewing is more important than clothes. LOL