Sophie’s Quilt

IMG_5861_thumb[1]

This quilt has been sitting on Sophie’s bed for a couple of months and has already been used, loved, and washed during the warm summer.

I backed it with minky fabric, and Kathy quilted it for me with a lovely loose flower pattern so it’s still really soft and hangs nicely.

I machine bound it and labeled it with my super professional (and kind of embarrassing!)labeling method.

I posted more about this top and the measurements for making the blocks in this post.

36 Responses to Sophie’s Quilt

1. Christine S September 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

Very pretty!

2. Lynda September 16, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

great pattern – I have made a ton of baby quilts with minky and usually hand finish the binding (my machine finishes just don't seem to look as good). I always struggled with making the corners "perfect" and one day I got smart and decided to round the corners (used a drinking glass as a template). This works so well, and when you stitch the binding you can do so in a continuous sew, no stopping and starting. I really like the look of the slightly rounded corner as well. Now all of my minkey backed quilts are finished this way

3. Katie Skiff September 16, 2014 at 10:26 pm #

I love those colors together. And I love that label. Some day that will be a special memento with your own handwriting.

4. Kellie September 17, 2014 at 12:11 am #

This is so pretty and I love the label and the idea of using your own handwriting for them to have with them in years to come.

5. Heidi September 17, 2014 at 1:55 am #

It's beautiful! I love the comforter too!

6. Carla September 17, 2014 at 2:58 am #

How lovely. I'm sure she will love it forever : )

7. Granny Maud's Girl September 17, 2014 at 3:52 am #

Such pretty colours!

8. Judy Cinerari September 17, 2014 at 4:44 am #

What kind of pen do you use for your labels?

9. Charlotta September 17, 2014 at 4:49 am #

Did you write the label with a Sharpie? Or do you have another fabric marker that writes like that? The only marchers or fabric pens I have are Pigmas and they're very thin – or the writing is. I'd love to be able to hand write labels more like yours.

10. A Quilter's Mission September 17, 2014 at 7:11 am #

So sweet and cozy looking. Lucky little girl.

11. margaret September 17, 2014 at 8:30 am #

a lovely quilt such delicate colours I am sure it is well loved

12. Lucy Goodwin September 17, 2014 at 9:45 am #

Its lovely, I really should try a different pattern to just squares, I might surprise myself 🙂

13. Colleen Potter September 17, 2014 at 1:06 pm #

Thank you for sharing ! Lucky little girl !

14. Liz September 17, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

Thank you for sharing this quilt – so soft looking and pretty colors.

15. Chez Vies September 17, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

oh so lovely. I love the label, maybe I should use it for my next quilt ^^

16. Buffy Skolnick September 17, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

Such a lovely room…love the bed frame and the white spread with the quilt. My 2 1/2 year old just got her big girl bed and I have been waffling on the quilt I want to make for her for 6 months! This gives me inspiration to just do it…I can always make a new one in a few years! (we also have that same bunny on her bed too)

17. asf September 17, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

I actually really love your label as well! Like a previous poster, I've only found very thin pens for fabrics and the writing doesn't turn out well for me. The quilt is very beautiful!

18. Unknown September 17, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

Her quilt looks so pretty in her room. Both quilt and her room are ageless. Good choices. Nancy: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

19. Cathy L September 17, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

The quilt is adorable! What is the cat fabric that you used? I love it!

20. Sandy D September 18, 2014 at 1:03 am #

What a great quilt. With 6 grandkids I can see a quilt being made for each of them.

21. allison September 18, 2014 at 5:05 am #

The marker is just a Sharpie! I've tried fabric markers in the past…and they always fade in the wash a bit. These look good as new after many washings so I keep using Sharpies! 🙂

22. Darla Mae September 18, 2014 at 7:07 pm #

Beautiful! I love the quilting, it really sets it off.

Darlene

23. Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books September 20, 2014 at 2:20 am #

Love the colors of this quilt. =)
    And the label is wonderful!!
    Pinned to my Quilt board.

24. Silvi September 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

I love the quilt and I also love the white duvet cover. Where did you get that one?

25. Eli Conde September 22, 2014 at 2:01 am #

I love quilt, beautiful work.

26. Kate Marshall September 25, 2014 at 12:01 am #

What a lovely quilt! I've been wondering how it turned out. I've got that same Jellycat bunny sitting beside me on the kitchen table right now! And as soon as I finish my coffee I'm getting back to piecing square in square blocks I've cut using one of your old tutorials — a quilt for my eldest daughter's bed. Thank you for sharing so much of your knowledge, it's been so helpful to me.

27. mbkries September 26, 2014 at 3:06 pm #

The whole room is lovely- do you happen to know the name of the paint color on the walls? I just finished a quilt with similar colors and now I think I need to repaint my little girls' room!

28. Laura September 28, 2014 at 4:21 am #

Beautiful quilt. The colors and the pattern are lovely.

29. Di~ October 5, 2014 at 12:45 am #

I love this quilt!

30. Lisa October 22, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

What pen did you use to label?
    Thanks.

31. lynn jarzombeck October 25, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

Absolutely darling quilts that you've made for your children. With the minky backed quilts, did you use a batting? If so, what kind. Thanks.

32. allison October 25, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Lisa I used a new Sharpie from Office Max…it's a blue package I think? Lynn…this quilt I used a light cotton batting (Warm and White) but if I don't want it to be heavy or it's for warmer weather I leave the batting out.

33. Leslie P. December 3, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

Beautiful! Really interested in the measurements for this quilt but the link is broken!

• Allison December 3, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

Oh I’ll check that out and fix it! Thanks!

• Allison December 3, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

it’s fixed…thanks for telling me!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Gingham Coral Quilt Top | Cluck Cluck Sew - March 16, 2016

[…] the baby will share a room with Sophie, so I stuck with coral colors that match the quilt I made for Sophie’s bed .   I picked my solids first since they are the majority of the quilt, and sprinkled in a few […]