Skipping Squares in Dixie

Skipping Squares Quilt, Cluck Cluck Sew

As soon as I received my strike offs for this collection I knew I would make it up with this pattern.  I was so sick this fall I didn’t release any new patterns with this line, but re-vamped some old favorites instead.  Skipping Squares was one of my first patterns almost 6 years ago so it was fitting to remake it with this bright happy fabric line.

Skipping Squares Quilt, Cluck Cluck Sew

I’d forgot how quick and fun this quilt was to make.  It uses 10 fat quarters for a 51″ x 68″ quilt, but each fat quarter makes 5 blocks (not including the white) so it’s easy to re-size and make larger.

Skipping Squares Quilt, Cluck Cluck Sew

I sent this to Kathy for quilting and told her to do with it as she pleases.  She did this amazing free hand straight line quilting, with the lines going different directions for each block.  I can’t wait to wash this one…the texture is amazing on it.  Thank you again Kathy!!

Skipping Squares Quilt, Cluck Cluck Sew

We got home yesterday from a week in CA visiting Disney.  This picture sums it up perfectly….one is cranky because I’m taking a picture, one is on day 3 of her raggedy Elsa costume, and one is just happy to be there.  I ate and waddled my pregnant self through Disneyland and it was awesome…but now I need a vacation from my vacation!  😉

19 Responses to Skipping Squares in Dixie

1. mindingmomma February 1, 2016 at 1:21 am #

Very bright and cheery quilt! And when we go to Disney World, I have all those emotions depending on the time of day you catch me. Hope you had a wonderful time.

2. Patti February 1, 2016 at 2:09 am #

{I bought it!} Hope your trip was wonderful! I have pics of myself at that “cranky” age on vacation, it passes. {What fabrics shall I use? Oooh, I love the ones she used! I wonder when they will be released?} Your Elsa is beautiful! Enjoy them all, they grow too fast!

3. Christina in FL February 1, 2016 at 2:25 am #

Great quilt pattern with the perfect fabric! Oh my stars, you are a trooper traveling and going to Disney with a passenger inside. Holy smokes, my hat is off to you. Now… feet up girlfriend… have a cuppa something warm and deep breaths! :)))

4. Little Quiltsong February 1, 2016 at 3:13 am #

Family time – the best time! Had to laugh how you explained the picture – yup – remember with our own 4 – the different faces on our vacations. Thank you for re-introducing this pattern. I’ve only recently (going on 3 years) ‘found’ all these wonderful quilting blogs, so have a lot of catching up to do. Love this pattern.

5. Karen Goad February 1, 2016 at 5:14 am #

the texture is great on your quilt already – I thought it had been washed! lovely idea going in all directions with the quilting

6. Tracey Holzer February 1, 2016 at 5:37 am #

Beautiful quilt! And i really like how it is quilted. Have a great day!

7. kathy o February 1, 2016 at 5:50 am #

Such a cute quilt – I need to make one for myself! LOVE this new fabric line!!! I’ll have to get my hands on it and build something wonderful. Your kids are adorable – even Mr. Cranky! What a great photo! You’re such a good mom!!! xxoo

8. Aunt Marti February 1, 2016 at 6:46 am #

I need to make two baby quilts double quick — this is the perfect pattern!

9. denise February 1, 2016 at 8:56 am #

OMG I so know the feeling my daughter wanted to wear this ratty power rangers outfit every day she drove me nuts then ended up wearing to school on picture day! UGG This is a classic picture you will laugh about some day. I see that preteen look in the one little mans eye! Quilt Love!

10. Jean February 1, 2016 at 9:26 am #

Just purchased the pattern. I can’t wait to get started. I have just the fabric for this one

11. Sarah @ FairyFace Dessigns February 1, 2016 at 12:56 pm #

Such a lovely quilt!

12. lorindadavis February 1, 2016 at 3:25 pm #

Such a happy quilt! Glad you got a chance to get away as a family. Your kids will remember it always!

13. Peggy February 1, 2016 at 3:41 pm #

Thanks for the pattern at $5. That’s easier on the quilt fund. Makes us able to support your Quilty job! Love your new fabric line too. Now I need to get ten fqs of it plus 1/2 yd for binding. Yay. New quilt!!

14. Valerie February 1, 2016 at 6:54 pm #

Love the bonus picture of the kids. Can’t wait to see the new edition. You have really quilted together quite the family quilt and will have all 4 corners completed soon!

15. Lara B. February 1, 2016 at 9:09 pm #

Allison, the Skipping squares are perfect in your new line and Dixie looks wonderful!
    Kathy’s quilting treatment is really cool – i love the way she did the blocks in different directions.
    Love the photo of your kiddos and how different each one’s expression is!

16. Sara February 2, 2016 at 8:29 am #

I can’t wait to get my hands on the Dixie line of fabric…I love this…so cute

17. amyusmart February 2, 2016 at 8:44 am #

I am already in love with Dixie. Those colors are my favorite. It’s another winner! Also love the Disneyland pic. 😉

18. Chrissy February 3, 2016 at 11:14 am #

I just love that Disney picture! Jim Gaffigan has a funny bit about taking ones family to Disney. I just listened to it yesterday on Amazon Music, I was needing some laughter in my day and it was exactly what I needed. Sorry to ramble, I live the quilt too, and I hope you are feeling better!

19. julie714 February 5, 2016 at 12:22 am #

I too agree with you that the Park life’s Collection by Erin Olwens is lovely. I’m not sure where I will find it in Australia, but I’m going to try and get some! I think the fabric collection will fit perfectly in my current projects colour selection.I’ve got a set of sewing machines covers to make for my best friend. I’ve already made one and only have the other two to go! I’ve found the second machines fabric so I’m now looking for a match for the third. I think Park Life looks absolutely perfect. Thanks for sharing!! ps I love your quilts too! Julie Beard