Thursday Things

Gypsy Cutting Gyzmo

A couple months ago I saw a post somewhere about this little purple thing for cutting units apart when chain piecing.  I love chain piecing…but I’ve noticed after years of quilting and working as a hygienist, all the repetitive snipping with little scissors make the tendons in my wrist a bit sore.

Enter…The Gypsy Cutting Gizmo.

Gypsy Cutting Gizmo

I love this thing.  I wish it was a bit shorter, but besides that it has cut my snipping time in half and my wrist doesn’t get sore anymore.  I tend to chain piece my units very close together, and I’ve yet to snip anything but the thread in between by accident.  I bought mine on Amazon but a quick google search also found them here and here.

I ordered a bit of this Park Life collection by Elizabeth Olwen for Cloud 9 fabrics because I love that print up there.  Prints with multiple colors like it are my favorite.  I can always pull some coordinating basics and solids from my stash and have a stack ready to whip into a quilt!  The photograph makes the butterfly color look orange, but it’s actually a pretty rose coral color.

I’m trying to decide if it’s too early yet to make baby girl a quilt…but since I’ll probably make her at least 4 I might as well get started now!

Sophie has given up naps for good…so she has “quiet time”, which usually means she brings her sleeping bag and a pillow (she’s obsessed with her sleeping bag!), all her dolls, barbies, books, and kindle into my sewing room and sits at my feet.

She’s my favorite 3 soon-to-be 4 year old ever.

28 Responses to Thursday Things

1. Jennifer February 4, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

Never too soon to start a quilt for the new one! Congrats!!! That Sophie is too sweet.Already almost 4?? I remember when your 2nd SON was born! Best of luck!!

2. jana February 4, 2016 at 1:21 pm #

oh my, she is adorable. ..such pretty hair. I think, the fabrics you chose will make a great quilt not only or a baby girl. …make it big enough to use a while.

3. Paige February 4, 2016 at 2:03 pm #

Beautiful fabrics and beautiful child! Thanks for the gismo review!

4. Kristy Daum February 4, 2016 at 2:51 pm #

If the purple one is too tall, you should try the EZ Quilting Thread Cutter. It’s the orange one you see all over Instagram. The blade is housed in a sturdy triangle base and is made in the USA; which is always a plus.

• Allison February 4, 2016 at 8:40 pm #

Thank you Kristy! I’m going to try it too!!

5. Judith Blinkenberg February 4, 2016 at 10:25 pm #

I love that Park Life, just no one to make a quilt for. Can I come rest by your feet and watch you sew? Children grow too fast. It just is not fair! I’m glad I have grandkids but they are growing up fast too!

6. Linda February 4, 2016 at 10:31 pm #

Hi Allison, I can’t believe that little doll is already going-on-4! I’ve been following you since you were pregnant with her, and it seems like only yesterday. 😎 Lovely fabric, and I can’t wait to see it turned into a quilt for that new little girl. When my “baby” (now 32 and just married), was about that age, I would get tired in the afternoon and want to nap myself, but you couldn’t say that ‘n’ word, because she was too busy touching things and learning stuff. I would tell her, “come lay down and take a rest with mommy”, and that always worked. I would lay down on the couch and she would grab her pillow and lay down behind my legs. Even though I was the tired and sleepy one, she was always asleep before I was…

• Allison February 5, 2016 at 11:34 am #

Oh we do that too Linda! Usually I’m the one that falls asleep and she roams the house and destroys things. 😉

7. margiestitcher February 4, 2016 at 11:04 pm #

loving this gadget till I went to amazon and it was £35 will have to manage with the scissors!

• Allison February 5, 2016 at 11:36 am #

Oh it’s definitely not worth that much! I wouldn’t pay more than $15 us for it (which I think is how much it usually should be!).

8. Annemieke van den Berg February 4, 2016 at 11:34 pm #

Handy cutter! Lovely daughter fabrics and pictures;)

9. Helen LeBrett February 5, 2016 at 12:21 am #

Yep, not to early to start, and your little Sophie is just so darling!! Sweet times!! Hugs, H

10. Christine February 5, 2016 at 5:50 am #

Great gadget! Beautiful fabric and cute daughter!

11. Cindy February 5, 2016 at 6:04 am #

I love the colors you pulled for your 1st baby girl quilt!:) It’s going to be gorgeous! So sweet of Sophie to keep you company- she’s just the cutest ever!

12. Kimberley O'Rourke February 5, 2016 at 6:49 am #

I bought myself a Gypsy cutting gizmo for Christmas and love it! I, too, tend to sew my chain close together and have not accidentally cut anything yet. It’s a great gadget! Love the new fabrics, too! Cute pic of the wee one. =)

13. Suzanna February 5, 2016 at 7:14 am #

Park Life is actually designed by *Elizabeth* Olwen (
    And yes, I love my cutting gizmo. It’s not only easier on the wrists, it’s quicker and easier than using scissors. And no accidental snips in wrong places.

• Allison February 5, 2016 at 11:35 am #

Oops I knew that too! Teaches me for writing posts late at night…fixed!

14. Rosemaryflower February 5, 2016 at 9:26 am #

Love your baby. She is a good girl, what a little sweetums.
    I use my seam ripper, which I have many many of. This thing looks pretty good. I bet it is helpful
    The fabrics are just darling

15. susan February 5, 2016 at 2:22 pm #

Thank you for your blog!! I don’t know how you manage to do everything with a small child , being pregnant, blogging etc. Lee Valley Tools in Canada has a professional seam ripper which they designed that I absolutely love. It is a bit pricey compared to other seam rippers but so versatile.,40725,62560

16. Lara B. February 5, 2016 at 3:26 pm #

Aww, Sophie and her quiet time while you sew is just too precious Allison. I remember those days well…. only for me it was gardening.
    Those fabrics will make a beautiful baby girl quilt.
    You just got me to order and thread cutting gizmo too.

17. Susan Robers February 6, 2016 at 4:41 am #

Quiet time is great and you can get some sewing done! A baby can’t have too many quilts! Love that fabric and that gizmo looks pretty cool!

18. Becky G. February 6, 2016 at 9:32 am #

I have one of those Gizmo’s too and I love it. Love the fabric too!

19. quiltingmod February 6, 2016 at 10:19 am #

I might need one of these. Please share your newfound notion at my party:

20. Scooby Saunders February 6, 2016 at 3:18 pm #

Love those fabrics and colors, how fun!

21. Kathy February 7, 2016 at 5:11 am #

Oh my, such a lovely pile of fabric! Interesting tool. I try not to get swept into buying every fun little thing but I might just have to try this one!

22. dispack February 8, 2016 at 8:02 pm #

Allison! what a beautiful little girl! Kathy O and I sewed together this last weekend…she was making a great! quilt out of one of your patterns! Isn’t she the best! we talked a little about you and decided the same thing…isn’t she the best! 🙂 We were in Eastern Idaho to boot! yay!

23. beckymossman February 9, 2016 at 8:21 am #

I can see why you like those kinds of prints. You have an eye for picking out coordinating fabrics. How inspiring!

24. Linda February 12, 2016 at 8:37 pm #

What a beautiful, sweet little girl. Can’t wait for the new little one to arrive. She will be such a sweet big sister.