Scrap coin quilt

Scrap Coin Quilt

You know sometimes when it’s like pulling teeth to finish a project and finally you just muster through, just so you never have to look at the dumb thing again??  I know it’s not just me.

This quilt was like that times ten.

Scrap Coin Quilt

I had tons of bad machine issues while finishing this quilt…like when I broke my first Juki the same day I opened it.  Whoops!

Scrap Coin Quilt

Then I tried to quilt it with “organic” straight lines…but it just looked like I couldn’t sew a straight line a thousand times over the quilt top, and the walking foot went haywire and it wasn’t worth unpicking.

Scrap Coin Quilt

So that, along with lots of other reasons, put this low on my list of quilts to finish.  I finally put on a good show (Poldark…so good!) a couple of weeks ago and quilted it with some more crooked lines and bound it.

Scrap Coin Quilt

Then I gifted it to our semi-blind, 13 year old little dog….who doesn’t even mind the crooked lines and the bad tension issues.    I’m happy it’s done and it wasn’t wasted!   And before you yell at me for giving it to my dog…he actually needed a soft little quilt to sleep on…and this will double as the kids picnic quilt for the backyard!  😉

65 Responses to Scrap coin quilt

1. MARY D March 29, 2016 at 8:27 pm #

Hooray for finishes!! You powered through and it all counts. LOL.

2. Marlene March 29, 2016 at 8:33 pm #

Glad you worked through your frustrations as I like the finished quilt. Animals need quilts so no one should yell!

3. Barbara March 29, 2016 at 8:48 pm #

I get it. I had a similar experience with two small quilts. Finished them up with all their imperfections and gave them to the cats!

• Allison March 29, 2016 at 9:02 pm #

My cat already has dibs on the next ugly quilt Barbara! 😉

4. Erica March 29, 2016 at 9:18 pm #

Nothing wrong with giving a quilt to the dog! Every quilt that stays here ends up with a dog on it one time or another 😉

5. Melanie March 29, 2016 at 9:29 pm #

Woof, woof! I’m in line for your next reject. But I must say I love the quilt! Bright, cheery, delightful. Good for you for hanging in there for the big finish. Lucky dog, you have. :o)

6. Debby March 29, 2016 at 9:41 pm #

Thank you for being so normal. This made me smile😊

7. Paige March 29, 2016 at 9:49 pm #

I would certainly be happy to picnic with the quilt! It passes the 10ft test with flying colors. We would have never know if you hadn’t mentioned it!

• Allison March 29, 2016 at 10:52 pm #

Lol I love the 10 ft. test Paige…this one might need a 20 ft. test but luckily my dog is blind! 😉

8. Tillström March 29, 2016 at 11:09 pm #

Oh dear! I’ve had the same problem with “organic straight lines!” Bless you for making your senior dog a new quilt. I bet what matters most to her (him?) is having a soft place under sore elbows and heels, made by MawMaw! 🐶

9. Peggy Campbell March 30, 2016 at 12:15 am #

I love REAL people like you! Such a cute quilt and such a lucky dog!

10. Anne C Rowland March 30, 2016 at 12:24 am #

Nice to know we are not the only ones who have such frustrations! Congratulations on finishing it.
    Unfortunately I do not have a cat or dog but my daughter in Canada has 2 dogs, do you think my suitcases will be overweight now? Anne

11. Maria March 30, 2016 at 1:00 am #

It looks great; love the fabrics!

12. Sandi March 30, 2016 at 2:14 am #

I love it! Our dogs need quilts too. Hugs,

13. Lynda Porter March 30, 2016 at 3:46 am #

I’m with Debbie up there a few comments ago…..Thanks for being normal…..and the giggle! I LOVE this quilt though.

14. Cindy March 30, 2016 at 3:55 am #

Funny but not!! Haha! So glad you finished it and I’m sure your dog appreciates that pretty, soft little quilt!:)

15. Little Quiltsong March 30, 2016 at 4:30 am #

You know – I just see a lovely, cuddly quilt! But I know the frustration – glad you finished it! Memories :)!

16. Hedy Hahn March 30, 2016 at 4:47 am #

It is very frustrating when our machines act up, isn’t it? Your quilt turned out lovely in spite of the problems. And I’m sure the dog loves it.

17. Linda March 30, 2016 at 5:47 am #

So wonderful that you dog is so loved….way to go….

18. twiddletails March 30, 2016 at 5:47 am #

Well, it looks lovely in the photos and I think it’s good to have a quilt you don’t care too much about around the house. My “car quilt” is one of those.

19. Terry March 30, 2016 at 5:53 am #

I can relate! Glad you finished it, our doggies need a little comfort too.

20. Emily C. March 30, 2016 at 5:57 am #

Haha, I’ve definitely had projects like that! My cat claims pretty much all my quilts, even before they are finished!

21. kathy o March 30, 2016 at 6:00 am #

I love that you gave it to your pup…..they need “love” quilts, too!

22. Kim March 30, 2016 at 6:01 am #

Aww, and I bet he appreciates his own quilt!

23. from the Bellfry March 30, 2016 at 6:03 am #

It honestly looks great in the pics, but it is so very nice to read a blog post by an expert quilter who has a quilt she didn’t love. I read on a quilt blog once, “better finished than perfect” and that was my mantra as I completed my first quilt. You have given me encouragement to cut into my fabric for my next quilt! If I think it’s ugly or filled with mistakes, my puppy will love it! Have a great day, Allison!

• Allison March 31, 2016 at 1:14 pm #

I like that saying! And yes your puppy will love any quilt you don’t so it’s not wasted anyways! 😉

24. Cindy Mizer March 30, 2016 at 6:08 am #

It is a lovely quilt. But, I’ve had projects like that where it seemed to be cursed.

25. Colleen March 30, 2016 at 6:22 am #

can you really hear me yelling at you all the way from Saskatchewan ???
    I like the 10 ft test too and it looks good from here.

26. Cheryl March 30, 2016 at 7:34 am #

Any good dog that lives with little kids deserves something soft to sleep on!

27. Laura Valdez March 30, 2016 at 7:59 am #

Pets are family too and they need quilts!

28. Karin March 30, 2016 at 8:32 am #

Sooo glad I’m not the only one who feels like this about some quilts! My dog has a spectacular selection of quilt fails, but he hasn’t complained once! 😉

29. Vicki March 30, 2016 at 8:32 am #

Oh, gosh. I have TWO of those — really heinous Star Wars/superhero monstrosities, and I’ve shoved them into the back of the closet, but I can feel them lurking there, in the spidery darkness, staring at me. All. the. time.

• Allison March 31, 2016 at 1:15 pm #

Lol Vicki this made me laugh!!!

30. Lara B. March 30, 2016 at 9:25 am #

Allison, I would never protest over a quilt belonging to a dog. Picnic quilts are great too. It looks really great in the photos and I guess we just can’t see all the areas that bother you. I was planning to do some organic slightly wavy matchstick quilting and it never occurred to me that it might just look like I cannot sew a straight line, LOL. Maybe I’ll make them wavier. 🙂 I have to go read about your Juki mishap now.

31. Michelle March 30, 2016 at 10:21 am #

Every member of the household needs a quilt!!!

32. Shirley March 30, 2016 at 11:17 am #

Love that you felt you needed to “qualify” why the dog is getting it! I soooo understand where you are coming from. And dogs appreciate quilts… Don’t they always sneak up on the bed to lie on yours? Oh wait, they are lying on the bed you say, not the quilt… Potatoe… Potatoe (you are supposed to say that word 2 different ways) I choose to believe they love my pretty quilts. Ha!

• Allison March 31, 2016 at 1:16 pm #

Lol Shirley….I knew someone would call me out for giving it to the dog so I had to list my “reasons”! Or maybe it just makes me feel better! 😉

33. Nancy Helpinstill March 30, 2016 at 11:26 am #

I’ll yell at anyone who yells at you for giving it to your dog! It was a loving gift to a senior member of your family. 💕💕

34. Libby March 30, 2016 at 11:29 am #

Love it !!!

35. Carla March 30, 2016 at 12:23 pm #

What a cute quilt. Connected Threads has a tutorial on their site for a similar QAYG version.

• Allison March 31, 2016 at 1:17 pm #

Thanks Carla for the link!!

36. Carla March 30, 2016 at 12:28 pm #

Here’s the URL for the free QAYG pattern. http://www.connectingthreads.com/Patterns/Quilt-As-You-Go_Coins_Free_Quilt_Pattern_Download__D991465.HTML

37. Helen LeBrett March 30, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

You are so cute!! at least you finished it, and the dog has a far better quilt than most any dog!! 🙂 And look: when you are honest and real, how many people comment and show you that they can so relate!! 🙂 But how did you break your Juki?!!! Thanks for the smile you gave me!! Hugs, H

• Allison March 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm #

Well luckily it wasn’t ALL my fault…the walking foot didn’t fit correctly as it should have and it threw off the timing (I think). So I sent it back the next day! Luckily the new one I replaced it with works like a charm!!!

38. claudia w March 30, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

All my problem quilts will go on the couch for TV watching, which in essence means I have given them to the dogs…and cats.

• Allison March 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm #

Same in our house Claudia!

39. dispack March 30, 2016 at 2:01 pm #

LOVE this quilt…the fabrics in it! such a bummer when there are ‘problems’, takes all the fun away!

40. Marianne March 30, 2016 at 2:22 pm #

Oh my! Glad this post showed up in my inbox today! I can SO relate! For the first time ever I quit a project I was working on! My mistake was starting a baby quilt with fabric I hated but had been in my stash for about 10 years. Ugh I stuck with it for 4 hours and then asked myself why! I put it in a plastic bag and will donate it! I don’t have an elderly dog I can donate it too. Haha! Maybe I should have put it in the bottom of the bird cage! BTW, I like your quilt, excuse me, the dog’s quilt! Haha! Too funny!

• Allison March 31, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

I do this ALL the time Marianne! I can’t bear to get rid of fabric I don’t love anymore…so I use it…and then it’s torture to sew with it and I hate the finished project! You’d think I’d learn!! Glad you do that too!! 😉

41. Rosemaryflower March 30, 2016 at 3:47 pm #

This looks wonderful. I love it.
    Now I want to make one bc I have a boat load of strips

42. cindy-liveacolorfullife March 31, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

Well it looks pretty from my vantage point. 🙂

• Allison March 31, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

Thanks Cindy! It’s all in the pictures and good lighting. 😉

43. Lea March 31, 2016 at 2:19 pm #

I think it’s a pretty and cheerful quilt. I think it’s great that you gave this quilt to your dog. When we had dogs I made quilts for them.

44. Debbie April 1, 2016 at 2:23 am #

Never apologise for gifting a quilt to your dog, even a less than brilliant quilt, good on ya!

45. Donna Murdock April 1, 2016 at 8:16 am #

It sure didn’t look like a problem quilt in the pictures.

46. Ashley B April 1, 2016 at 8:17 am #

I actually plan on making my cat a small quilt (well pillow) to practice FMQ. Plus the local animal shelter is looking for kennel quilts – another perfect opportunity to practice FMQ! They won’t care and I get to practice and get over my fear!!

47. Flo April 3, 2016 at 8:23 am #

LOVELOVELOVE that quilt!!! I need to make one with all my scraps!!!

48. Michelle Tetlock April 4, 2016 at 8:30 pm #

My pets (a dog and a cat) get their paws on a lot of my quilts. Anything smaller than a double is fair game to them. I don’t know how my 10 pound Tabby Cat and 7 pound Chihuahua- Pomeranian mix need 7 quilts between the two of them in our 500 square foot apartment but they use them all, and are always trying to get their paws on whatever quilt I am working on at any given time. Lol. Pets love quilts to I guess.

49. Nicolette April 6, 2016 at 12:27 am #

When my scotty got her muddy paws on a not so pretty quilt I was relieved, I immediately decided the quilt was hers.

50. Felie Hempfling April 7, 2016 at 5:35 pm #

Thank you for this, I started a picnic quilt two years ago, and I feel the same way about it as you do your scrap coin quilt. Seams don’t line up, my straight line quilting is a hot mess, tension issues and well the list goes on.. I pulled it out of the closet this weekend ready and determined to finish it, I mean after all it’s just going to be used for picnics. Fingers crossed I don’t loose that motivation and just get it done already!

51. Jamie April 9, 2016 at 9:40 am #

I keep checking back…when’s that baby going to make an appearance? I can’t wait to see a photo of her!!!!

• Allison April 9, 2016 at 8:11 pm #

I’m not due for another 5 weeks! I usually have my babies early…and I’m sure feeling it lately so we’ll see…hopefully she’ll grow a lot longer and I can keep her in there as long as she needs! 😉 I will definitely share pics when she makes an appearance!

52. Nettie April 9, 2016 at 7:07 pm #

It looks great! I love poldark too!

53. Darline Ashford April 10, 2016 at 6:05 pm #

Love your quilt and love even more that it for you dog – they are truly valued members of our families and deserve to have there own quilts … they sure do love them!!

54. Jane Hicks May 18, 2016 at 8:13 am #

Well. It photographs well.