Summer Squares and Strips Quilt

Squares and Strips Free Fat Quarter Pattern Tutorial

Have I mentioned I have a wonderful husband?  Last week he came home from work, took the cranky baby out of my arms and told me to go in my sewing room, lock the door, and have “mommy quiet time”, while he proceeded to feed the kids dinner, bathe them, and get them all in bed.

I think he could tell I was teetering on the edge of crazy…which was true.  So I stuck my headphones in and started a new quilt.

Squares and Strips Free Fat Quarter Pattern Tutorial

I forgot how much I love this pattern/tutorial I made 4 years ago.  It uses fat quarters or 1/4 yards, and goes together so quick.  I stacked all of my fat quarters and cut this out super fast, and had all of my blocks pieced in no time for a throw size.

Squares and Strips Free Fat Quarter Pattern Tutorial

The floral print by Leah Duncan is amazingly beautiful!  It goes with so much of the fabric I already have, so it was really fun to pull fabrics for this quilt from all different lines.

“Mommy quiet time” was just what I needed that night…and I was refreshed and ready to fetch snacks and wipe up the who-knows-what on the floor for the billionth time this summer.  🙂

31 Responses to Summer Squares and Strips Quilt

1. pennylanequilts August 11, 2016 at 10:37 pm #

How nice to get a little creative time for yourself. That can do wonders for you! The top looks great.

2. Belloquacity August 12, 2016 at 1:32 am #

Oh I love this story, LOVE awesome husbands who can deal with cranky babies and I LOVE this quilt! I still have that tutorial printed out from 4 years ago and the matching bundle of Seaside ready to go! Can’t rush these things, right? 🙂 Also, yay to sewing time.

• Allison August 12, 2016 at 11:06 am #

Lol! At least the fabric is pretty to look at right?

3. Nan August 12, 2016 at 3:09 am #

You should have him cloned! He’s priceless & so wonderful that he’s appreciated!

4. Little Quiltsong August 12, 2016 at 4:16 am #

Love this quilt and all the different blocks in it. Yes, sewing ‘quiet time’ makes me a happier person too. We all need that – so glad you had that break.

5. Lesley Gilbert August 12, 2016 at 4:26 am #

Simple yet beautiful – your quilt, not your husband haha – but he is a keeper 🙂

6. farmhousequiltsblog August 12, 2016 at 5:28 am #

what a nice hubby you have! I am glad you got some time to yourself…I think in order to be a good mom we all need some alone time once in a while.

7. KeithKatie Morse August 12, 2016 at 5:38 am #

Your husband even won points from us readers! I love seeing new stuff you sew up, so you can tell him the Internet community thanks him too! The quilt is so sunny. I love how you pulled off a busy quilt/pattern with out it being dizzy, and it didn’t even have white as a base! Your color pulls and fabric choices are always fantastic

8. Angela August 12, 2016 at 6:12 am #

How wonderful and perceptive of your husband. I love the quilt. I remember seeing the tutorial before but love it even more in this version. I will be making one soon! It’s funny–I was excited that it uses a lot of fat quarters. I remember in the past being excited when one of your quilts did NOT use many. I think I ‘ve been shopping a lot since then!

• Allison August 12, 2016 at 11:07 am #

Lol you know you have a fat quarter problem when you need a way to use them! 😉 I have the same problem!

9. kathy o August 12, 2016 at 6:23 am #

I LOVE this pattern! I think I just might use my new “Dixie” prints for it! xxoo

10. dispack August 12, 2016 at 8:13 am #

Aww that is so great!

11. Marianne August 12, 2016 at 8:58 am #

Just wow! What a guy! How neat that he realized exactly what you needed.

12. Scooby Saunders August 12, 2016 at 9:48 am #

Yay for fantastic hubbies and new quilt tops!

13. Amy Betts August 12, 2016 at 10:01 am #

What a wonderful hubby! I love the quilt – I may have to make one myself!

14. Kathy Bertelsent August 12, 2016 at 10:01 am #

Love this quilt… It is so bright it makes me smile

15. Vicki W. August 12, 2016 at 10:30 am #

I like those fabrics you’ve put together — I’ve gotten kinda hung up on that yellow Tiger Lily print and not knowing what else it could go with! And that’s a favorite pattern of mine — I’m thinking about making a big scrappy mess of a picnic quilt using your tutorial with long strings and short strings, big squares and little.

16. Karen August 12, 2016 at 10:38 am #

i like to think that my “on the brink” doesn’t show, but my spouse claims that I’m pretty transparent. Good for your hubby. Love the quilt–one I’d love to make.

17. Rachel at Stitched in Color August 12, 2016 at 12:06 pm #

Wow, I absolutely love the fabrics you put together! The blueberry print from C & S looks absolutely fantastic in this context. And the Dottie Stripe looks so good as a frame. Clearly your spirit came through!

18. Pattymae August 12, 2016 at 3:07 pm #

What a dear sweet hubby! Tell him thanks from a subscriber! 🙂 And I love the color choices! (I love bright colors.) Thanks for sharing.

19. Krista August 12, 2016 at 5:57 pm #

Oh I love this! Colors/fabrics and pattern! Inspired to do this soon!!

20. Susan August 13, 2016 at 5:33 am #

Now, that is a wonderful husband! Thanks for sharing this lovely quilt and thank him too, (from us) since you can share your inspiration with us while he is helping with the kids!

21. Julie Huntsman August 13, 2016 at 6:33 pm #

Allison. The cutting diagram download is not working. Is there a way to get this? Is it needed,to make this pattern?
    Thanks Julie

22. raniss August 15, 2016 at 3:53 pm #

What a great hubby! It sounds like something mine would have done way back when. I love the quilt. I have soo many fat quarters so hmm…

23. AmyScrapSpot August 16, 2016 at 11:38 am #

This is beautiful! I love the design and the fabric is so much fun!!
    I’m a follower on Bloglovin =D I’m wondering if it would be possible for you to follow me on Bloglovin, as well? I am trying to build my followers and am hoping fellow sewests will be able to help me out. 🙂

24. Kelly O. August 16, 2016 at 12:09 pm #

what a sweet guy! Us mommies need a break now and then… I often say that I am outnumbered on a good day (we have 4) in our house 🙂 but I love them to bits–but we all need a break.

25. Kelly August 16, 2016 at 1:16 pm #

Fabulous color choices here; they’re so perfect together! I love this quilt top and I’ve pinned it to my “Quilty Goodness” board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you’d like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

26. Manu August 18, 2016 at 8:45 am #

Such a wonderful husband and a beautiful quilt! It’s a really fun pattern, I made a baby quilt a few years ago when you shared it (a girly one from Sarah Jane’s “Out to Sea” fabric) and am planning to make another one once I have finished some of my WIPs 🙂
    Thank you for sharing your work with us!

27. Paula Philpot August 20, 2016 at 4:48 am #

That was sweet, love your patterns.

28. Pat S August 27, 2016 at 5:24 am #

This is such a cute quilt. These aren’t fabrics I’m normally drawn to but perhaps I need to rethink. You totally drew me in with your scrappy houndstooth (mine is waiting for space on the design wall but all the “tooth” blocks are made). Yes, I need to rethink what I’m adding to my stash.