Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt and Tutorial

Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt Tutorial

Thank you for all of your great responses to my last Quilting on a Budget post!   It is good motivation for me try to save some money and use what I have…so I don’t feel guilty buying some of the new cute lines coming out this year!  😉

Ashley posted this fabulous tutorial called two by four  last year and I’ve been itching to use it, but the blocks are bigger than I needed and I wanted to use my leftover jelly roll strips.  Her tutorial uses fat quarters and makes a great bed quilt size since the blocks are big!

Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt Tutorial

So this is basically a jelly roll strip version of Ashley’s tutorial, posted with her permission.  Instead of writing out a fancy tutorial I took pictures…so this is the quick version.

Finished Quilt Size:  56″ x 63″ , or 56″ x 64″ if laying the blocks on their side (see bottom of post)

Finished Block size: 7″ x 8″

Material Requirements:  63 strips 2 1/2″ x width of fabric, or 64 strips if laying the blocks on their side. 1 strip = 1 block

I made 63 blocks and laid them out like this, 9 rows and 7 blocks in each row, 63 blocks, 56″ x 63″:

Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt

Or you can set the blocks the other way and do 8 rows of 8 blocks each, 64 blocks, 56″ x 64″:

Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt

You can rotate the blocks so that the seams nest if you’re really a go-getter.  🙂

Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt

I feel like I’m missing something (don’t you hate that feeling?) so if you see something I missed stick it in the comments below and I’ll answer it there.  Happy stash/scrap busting!

Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt Tutorial

, ,

49 Responses to Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt and Tutorial

1. Betsy January 10, 2017 at 4:54 am #

I love this! My plan is to start a quilt next month after I get my house in order. Thank you so much!

2. Pam Arbour January 10, 2017 at 4:58 am #

I really like how you simplified that in your tutorial. I am thinking about trying it with RSC17 at So Scrappy. I am trying to sew up my scraps as well. I have so many of them!

3. lswanekamp January 10, 2017 at 5:26 am #

Thank you! I am always looking for scrap quilts that I can make and give away as comfort quilts. I cut scraps into WOF strips and this is terrific.

4. Cindy in NC January 10, 2017 at 5:28 am #

Thanks for another great tutorial — simple, budget-friendly, and big on wow factor.

5. Robby January 10, 2017 at 6:12 am #

I thought I filed this when Ashley showed her tutorial, but it seems not. Thanks for the great reminder and your clever quick variation. Funny how making rectangles instead of squares makes this familiar layout fresh again. Great photos, too.

6. Vicki January 10, 2017 at 7:56 am #

I love the colors you chose, and the solids!

7. Sheila Otte January 10, 2017 at 3:14 pm #

What a cool looking quilt and easy too!!! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

8. Anja @ Anja Quilts January 10, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

Great way to use up 2.5 inch strips. Thanks for sharing.

9. Kay January 10, 2017 at 11:13 pm #

I love how simple this is. Thanks for a great tutorial. x

10. pamelajs56 January 10, 2017 at 11:33 pm #

I love it! Beautifully done! Thank you for sharing this quilt.

11. Anthea January 11, 2017 at 12:23 am #

Really great way to use up bits & pieces – we all seem to have so many of them!

12. Connie Teasley January 11, 2017 at 3:55 am #

L💟ve it! This is in my plans for my next project! Perfect!

13. Ann Becker January 11, 2017 at 5:55 am #

I love it. I have been hoarding jelly rolls. Great quilt for using up one of my rolls. Hmmm. Now which one to choose. Decisions decisions.

14. Libby January 11, 2017 at 8:01 am #

Love the simple tutorial………..love, love the quilt. Thanks for sharing !
    You’re awesome !!

15. kathy o January 11, 2017 at 8:08 am #

I’m busting out my jelly roll that I’ve saved for the perfect pattern – this is it! Thank you! I love it!

16. Tracy Minyard January 11, 2017 at 8:49 am #

This is the coolest Jelly Roll quilt I have ever seen. Can’t wait to make one. Thank you!

17. Charlotta Bright Norby January 11, 2017 at 9:31 am #

Just love this; and I’ve been looking for a pattern to use with these 2 1/2″ strips I have. Found it! Thank you so much. Wish I could go to work on it right now. Unfortunately, several Works in Progress must take precedence. But it’s a relief to know what I’ll be doing with my strips.

18. Kim Tomkinson January 11, 2017 at 12:26 pm #

I love this. Thank you. I wanted to make a quick quilt for my sister and this is perfect.

19. pgtrans January 11, 2017 at 12:30 pm #

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!!! I have a “thing” for jelly rolls and an overabundance (the first step is realizing you have a problem, right???). This is something I’d really like to do!!! Thanks for taking the pictures and showing us step by step. You sure make it easy and “doable”. I appreciate you and all you do!!!

• Allison January 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm #

Thank you and it really is super easy! You’ll whip it out! 🙂

20. Staci January 11, 2017 at 5:53 pm #

Oh, aren’t you timely? I have a stack of left over 2.5 inch strips from a quilt top I’m working on right now. Have been trying to figure out what in the world to do with them! THANK YOU!

21. Teri January 11, 2017 at 7:09 pm #

Such a cheerful quilt.

22. Jane Sprague January 11, 2017 at 8:06 pm #

I just love the scrappy look of this quilt! I have so many jelly rolls that I could use. Where do I start???

23. Rena January 12, 2017 at 1:33 am #

Hi Allison
    Thank you so much for the last two posts. You have helped me stop and refocus. You reminded me that I did not need that latest “to die for” fabric bundle (I was trying to justify the cost …. without a lot of success!!!) and you have provided some amazing scrappy ideas and links to sew.
    Love your work and your generosity. Thanks again.

• Allison January 13, 2017 at 2:05 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed them and thanks for visiting!

24. Sherry B January 12, 2017 at 8:29 am #

Love your quilt and love your photo tutorial…so much, in fact, that I started pulling out my scraps to start my own project. I finished my blocks and started laying them out last night. However, I soon found that I miscalculated as I was using shorter strips instead of WOF from fat quarters and scraps, and ended up with only half the blocks I needed. Back to the scrap box. However, I love how the blocks go together quickly. Thank you for a great stash buster pattern that I’ll use many, many times!

• Allison January 13, 2017 at 2:04 pm #

Oh bummer! Yes you do need almost the whole strip!

25. indigoannieblog January 12, 2017 at 10:04 pm #

Thank you so much for the excellent Budget tutorial – I immediately felt invigorated and went to my sewing room and made a whole quilt top last weekend. And today’s quilt is just lovely – simple enough to accomplish in my limited free time, fresh and modern.

26. Colleen January 13, 2017 at 7:34 am #

Thank-you so much for this tutorial ! I was going to start on some WIP’s this month but instead started one of these quilts. I’m using some left over jelly roll strips from a quilt I made using your ‘Breezy’ pattern from your wonderful book. I directed a couple of friends to your last post in hopes of getting some more people hooked on quilting in my rural area. Happy New Year to you and your family !

• Allison January 13, 2017 at 2:03 pm #

I’m glad you like it Colleen! Good luck turning some friends into quilters! 😉 -Allison

27. Barb N January 15, 2017 at 7:56 am #

So what did I do on a lazy Saturday afternoon? Whip out a jelly roll set that had been languishing in my closet far too long, and started sewing, and cutting. I have only 40 strips from the jelly roll to work with, so I may have to add borders or something? At any rate, it was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon, and totally spontaneous. Thank you!

• Allison January 16, 2017 at 8:11 pm #

I love that you whipped this out! 40 should make a nice lap size maybe? Or at least a great crib size!

28. Mary Gontjes January 20, 2017 at 5:30 pm #

As I am cutting this out tonight. I notice you asked to cut 5 (4inch) strips and sew 2 together to make a 4 unit block…What happens to the extra strip (strip number 5)..do you just sew that up for a random block..?????

29. Chris January 25, 2017 at 11:33 am #

I had two packs of Stonehenge 2 1/2″ strips in generally light and dark stone.The blocks are on my wall now waiting to be sewn into strips. It was a great after work project and looks wonderfully mottled like a stone floor. Thank you – I used up all the 64 strips for one large lap or throw. The extras could make up into bed or throw pillows and I may do that.later. Thank you..

30. Nedra Meister January 26, 2017 at 12:24 pm #

Tons of colorful beautiful fabric that I found for my most current project at https://persnicketyclothing.com/collections/fabric. I am so in love!

31. Libba Mary C. Utley February 2, 2017 at 12:55 am #

Brilliant. Simple. Effective. Love it. Love the photos as a tutorial. A must do.thank you

32. Dagmar February 10, 2017 at 11:53 am #

I’m new to quilting and sewing and would love to use some of the fabric I found for this! But as a newbie to the craft, what is the best way to finish it off so I don’t have all the raw edges? Can someone lead me into the right direction please?

33. Claire Baldwinsville March 24, 2017 at 12:51 pm #

I love this! Thanks for sharing your ideas. I make blankets for Project Linus with fabrics donated to my chapter, I have several jelly roll kits that were given to me to work with.

34. Karen April 4, 2017 at 3:16 am #

This quilt is awesome. Your fabric choices make it fun and cheerful. Thanks for sharing a tutorial. I hope to make this one day soon.

35. Debbie April 4, 2017 at 5:19 am #

Great quilt. Love it. Why are we saving the scrap unit???? Just wondering. Thanks.

36. Yoka Bazilewich April 4, 2017 at 5:33 am #

I like that quilt very very much. I love scrap quilts the best will try it with my scraps. Might try your quilting design too once my hand and wrist is healed . I broke it. Thanks for always sharing your quilts with us. It is simple and fun to make I am sure. Happy quilting, Yoka Bazilewich

37. Patricia Beltran April 4, 2017 at 11:56 am #

As usual, a beautiful and easy to make quilt. Thanks for sharing. You are a great teacher.

38. sissyandme April 4, 2017 at 3:09 pm #

Perfect beginning project for ladies wanting to donate quilts made from scraps and JR’s.. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I have already passed the link on to others.

• Allison April 9, 2017 at 2:57 pm #

Yes it’s a great quilt for donations!! Fast but also great looking!!

39. Gina Ross April 6, 2017 at 1:21 pm #

What a great idea! Love it. thanks for sharing.

40. terrieannie May 18, 2017 at 1:07 pm #

This just might be the perfect project for my first ever quilt retreat in August!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. CraftCrave | DigiFree | CraftCrave - January 11, 2017

[…] Jelly Strip Stash Buster Quilt and Tutorial – 1 freebie(s)? […]

2. Finished Jelly Roll Stash Buster Quilt | Cluck Cluck Sew - April 3, 2017

[…] This quilt is a free tutorial you can find here from a couple of months ago (click here).  […]

3. 18 Free Quilt Block Patterns To Inspire You - Ideal Me - June 30, 2017