All the Hearts

Heart Quilt and Block Tutorial

This quilt and I are dating but not quite married.  As in, I like it…I just don’t love it yet.

I added the aqua sashing instead of the white and I think it throws me off…even though I do love the color!  I wish I’d had the forethought to use aqua in the background of the blocks, but it also adds something different so I’m rolling with it.

Heart Quilt Top and Block Tutorial

It ended up being a large twin size…and I meant to make a lap size, but I made too many blocks and couldn’t let them go to waste!  It will be darling on a bed.

I used this tutorial, and I made the 8 1/2″ (8″ finished) size blocks.

Not sure if I’ll tackle quilting it myself yet but I couldn’t resist a picture of these pretty threads with it.

I have the best backing all ready for it!

Heart Quilt backingThis one might not be finished in time for Valentines Day but it sure was fun to make and I can’t ever have enough aqua, red, and pink!

21 Responses to All the Hearts

1. Debbie Lee February 7, 2017 at 1:26 pm #

Love the hearts, love the aqua, love the back. For me I think it’s the way the sashing is that doesn’t take it to the “love it” category. I have followed your blog for many years and love it!!

2. Cheryl February 7, 2017 at 5:03 pm #

Very pretty quilt, I love hearts and the colors your used. I have made the the little runner you showed I believe last January with the four hearts for our night stands. They were fun. Enjoy your blog and your quilts are beautiful.

3. Fussell February 7, 2017 at 5:44 pm #

I think it’s beautiful! I want to make a heart quilt someday, I was thinking of pink, lavender, and yellow, pastels like the heart candies 🙂 I like the fun sashing, it’s different!

4. dispack February 7, 2017 at 6:26 pm #

It will be a beautiful quilt! Way to try something new and different! LOVE the backing!

5. jenny s. February 7, 2017 at 8:37 pm #

The pale aqua sashing is an inspired choice! It gives the quilt visual movement and zing. I love it and can’t wait to see it finished.

6. Vicki February 7, 2017 at 9:44 pm #

Ooh, that IS the perfect backing!

7. Sam February 8, 2017 at 12:30 am #

I love it!! I like the aqua. I’m not a fan of sashing in general….but I think that looks good! I absolutely love the backing…can I ask if you bought it recently? I’d love to get some!!

• Allison February 8, 2017 at 9:57 am #

I bought it a few weeks ago at Joanns, but I don’t think it’s a Valentines Day print!

8. Little Quiltsong February 8, 2017 at 3:24 am #

This is beautiful! Love it the way it is – and the backing – super gorgeous!

9. abydolinger February 8, 2017 at 5:05 am #

I predict you will love it once it is quilted!

10. kathy o February 8, 2017 at 5:31 am #

It’s a sweet, sweet quilt. Can’t go wrong with that color combination…..then that backing happened – perfect!

11. Rosemaryflower February 8, 2017 at 5:48 am #

Agree, favorite colors ever.
    This quilt is adorable

12. randy February 8, 2017 at 5:48 am #

I think what you aren’t hearting is the aqua is so close in value. Next time one or two steps of greater saturation on the blue. And possibly a few random white hearts on red.

13. Roseanne Nelson February 8, 2017 at 6:31 am #

I had to laugh at your dating but not married comment – HA! I just love some of your fabric choices, and that background!! It is just perfect. I also like the aqua sashing – it really sets off the red and especially the white, without being in your face and distracting from the stars. Nice job and I look forward to seeing the finished quilt on a bed. ~smile~

14. Martha C. February 8, 2017 at 8:15 am #

Beautiful as always! Working on those blocks now. Never considered aqua but looks great. Do you mind telling me if that’s a Kona & if so what color. The aquas I find seem much darker!

• Allison February 8, 2017 at 9:58 am #

The aqua is Kona Ice Frappe…it’s a new favorite!

15. jennifer ziehl vacca February 8, 2017 at 9:15 am #

LOL I feel you about the like, not love feeling. I’m quilting a quilt right now that has been hanging around for two years. I just want it done at this point!!

16. from the Bellfry February 8, 2017 at 11:47 am #

I love this quilt, especially having the hearts mixed up and down a bit across the row. The aqua is perfect, subtle and not taking from the hearts, but more calming and interesting than all white around the hearts. Love it. I especially appreciate hearing your thoughts on liking but not loving the quilt. I think it is very difficult to select fabrics, colors, layout…. Only seeing finished, perfect, art-worthy quilts on blogs makes it look so easy. It’s nice knowing that even my favorite quilters/authors/designers find the process is sometimes hard too! Thanks for your honesty! (But I am guessing you will fall in love with this quilt when it’s quilted and bound and on a bed!)

17. Scooby Saunders February 8, 2017 at 3:41 pm #

You may not love it, but I do!
    I understand though. Sometimes you make something and you just don’t love it.

18. Liz February 8, 2017 at 3:51 pm #

That backing! Totally caught my eye. Love it!!

19. Diane W February 13, 2017 at 6:13 am #

Ive had quilt tops that Ive not really cared for. Until I quilt them. Then I love em. BTW, I love this quilt! I have 2 hearts made using your pattern, planning to make a quilt. Using up scraps.