Lavender Blue

Lavender Blue Baby Quilt

4 years ago a girl came up to me at a church conference and asked me “are you by chance Cluck Cluck Sew?”.  Now she’s become my best friend and I’m so glad this blog helped me meet her!  Plus our husbands became instant friends…how lucky is that?!

Lavender Blue Baby Quilt

She’s having  a baby girl next month, and baby will be sharing a room with her older sister who has lavender and aqua decor already.  Most of the purples in this quilt are from my Hello Jane line (coming in a few weeks or less I think!), and I added some lavender prints.  I’ll do a post with some coordinating solids like these for Hello Jane soon.

Lavender Blue Baby Quilt

Different shades of purple mix so well together like the blues do…I love the violet next to the lavender.

Lavender Blue Baby Quilt

I used this 60 degree triangle ruler and cut my starting strips 5 1/2″ x width of the fabric, then cut my triangles from the strips using the 5 1/2″ mark on the ruler.   I really like this size of triangle for a baby quilt.  I think this one measured about 45″ x 50″ when I was done.  I didn’t count out my triangles as I cut them…I just cut and cut until it looked like enough and laid it out the size I wanted.

Lavender Blue Baby Quilt

I put a lavender minky on the back, and I used basting spray (tutorial here) plus a few pins since I used a slightly thicker batting.  I straight line quilted it following the diagonal seams, and machine bound it

Lavender Blue Baby Quilt

Lavender Blue Baby Quilt

I just love making baby quilts…especially when it’s a baby I’ll get to snuggle and hold lots and lots!

I’m headed to Quilt Market in St. Louis tomorrow.  My suitcases are over-stuffed and have a book to read while I enjoy a plane ride ALONE.  🙂  If you’ll be there I’m in booth 2231…I’ll do a recap on the blog next week!

31 Responses to Lavender Blue

1. Linda May 16, 2017 at 11:54 pm #

What a beautiful quilt. Love the aquas and lavenders, such a pretty combination of colours. I’m not usually a fan of triangle quilt designs but your lovely colours have made me change my mind! Hope your forthcoming trip goes well.

2. WriteAndQuilt May 17, 2017 at 4:15 am #

I love your color choices! Beautiful!

3. kathy o May 17, 2017 at 4:28 am #

Those lavender & aqua colors together are perfect – such a sweet, sweet quilt. Good luck at market! Can’t wait to see the recap. xxoo

4. amandaleee May 17, 2017 at 4:31 am #

This is absolutely beautiful! Love the purple!

5. Little Quiltsong May 17, 2017 at 4:34 am #

Love this quilt and the aqua’s and lavenders you used in it. My oldest has been eyeing your fabric release :)!! Have fun at Quilt Market and your lonely – I mean ‘alone’ plane ride :)!

6. rl2b2017 May 17, 2017 at 4:47 am #

Hi Allison,
    This is such a sweet baby quilt. How fun that you get to enjoy the baby and the quilt together in the very near future. Have fun at the quilt market. ~smile~
    Roseanne

7. Kathy May 17, 2017 at 5:02 am #

What a great color combination! Have a wonderful time at Quilt Market!

8. Anja @ Anja Quilts May 17, 2017 at 5:05 am #

I love this colour combination. I would never have thought to mix those colours, but I love the look.

9. Kristin May 17, 2017 at 5:25 am #

Great minds think alike!! I’m just finishing up twin baby girl quilts that are very similar to yours! I used minky and the same size triangles as you. It went together so fast and it’s perfect for baby quilts. I love your color combinations. http://kristingumdrop.blogspot.com/2017/04/quilting-saturday.html

• Allison May 23, 2017 at 10:14 am #

Love your quilts Kristin! The quilting on them is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

10. happyquiltingmelissa May 17, 2017 at 6:22 am #

I so love these colors together!!! And the quilts is just adorable 🙂 What a special gift!!! Have fun at Market, I wish I were coming so I could come by and say Hi 🙂 So I guess it will just have to be a Hi from here!!

11. Merrie May 17, 2017 at 6:25 am #

Love this quilt! The colors are beautiful, and that will be such a lucky baby!

12. cheryljbrickey May 17, 2017 at 6:25 am #

You can’t beat a classic triangle quilt and the colors you used are just beautiful!

13. Libby May 17, 2017 at 6:39 am #

I love this quilt, the colors are awesome. Thanks for sharing………..

Safe travels and have fun at quilt market !

14. Tracey May 17, 2017 at 7:15 am #

I love this quilt…so soft and pretty!! I also like the quilting that you chose. Great job!

15. Renee May 17, 2017 at 9:56 am #

It’s just beautiful, the friendship and the quilt.

16. Annette Holbrook May 17, 2017 at 10:08 am #

Classic quilt pattern paired with wonderful fabric choices is a combination that can’t be beat! <3

17. kaholly May 17, 2017 at 11:25 am #

It’s a beauty, obviously stitched with love!

18. Karen S May 17, 2017 at 12:45 pm #

Beautiful quilt–front and back! Lucky baby, lucky mom. Enjoy Market and time alone 😉

19. Vanessa May 17, 2017 at 12:56 pm #

Wow! I really, really like this quilt! I almost never use purples but this makes me really want too!! So pretty!!

20. MamaPris - Pris Phillips May 17, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

Hi Allison,

This quilt is adorable!! I’ve never made a triangle quilt — but this would be a fun one to try!! Thanks for explaining how you cut the triangles… sounds pretty easy!

Like Vanessa (above) I too am not a fan of lavender ~ never have been! (long story from my college days… and a date that fizzled along with the horrible lavender dress I made to wear on it!!!) …but your lavenders mixed with the aqua and darker blues are so pretty! I might become a convert!! grin.

Have a wonderful time at Quilt Market!! And enjoy the “Mommy Time Off” too!! It’s a rare treat til you’re my age and a Grammy! 🙂

Hugs,
    Pris from Idaho

21. Sharon May 17, 2017 at 4:23 pm #

Love, love, love your baby quilt! I wanted to try a triangle quilt and have often thought that lavender and aqua would be beautiful together. Now I know for sure. Thanks for the inspiration.

22. Rosemaryflower May 19, 2017 at 12:16 pm #

this is a really beautiful quilt!!

23. Lynne Tilley May 19, 2017 at 1:14 pm #

Oh I love that quilt so very much! Those fabric colors are just gorgeous together!! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

24. Melanie May 27, 2017 at 5:56 am #

What a lovely quilt and nice gift! It will be treasured I am sure and enjoy cuddling the baby while it cuddles your quilt 🙂

25. Dana harris May 27, 2017 at 7:15 am #

I just love your new fabric line. I’m going to purchase lots. I’ve never liked purple, lavender in a print or solid. Paired with aqua , I know love it. I love all your patterns and will be purchasing yet another!!!!! You are a blessing!

• Allison May 27, 2017 at 8:39 pm #

Thank you Dana…I felt the same way about purple and now I can’t seem to get enough! Thank you for visiting!

26. marcusandlauren May 28, 2017 at 6:03 pm #

Gorgeous quilt! And yes, when husbands become best friends, too, super lucky, indeed!

27. Helen LeBrett May 28, 2017 at 6:04 pm #

Just got a lewsletter from Hawthorn Threads: Hello Jane is now available!!!! Yay!!

• Allison May 28, 2017 at 9:36 pm #

You knew before me! I didn’t know it shipped yet….yay!!

28. Amber September 13, 2017 at 11:01 am #

Love love love this quilt and the colors! I want to make one, would I be ok buying 1 yard of each to cut the triangles from?

Thanks for sharing!