Done is better

Diagonal Strip Quilt in 5 sizes, Free Tutorial

(Free tutorial for this Diagonal Strip quilt can be found here with 5 size options!)

After I made this quilt top last year I was sort of paralyzed by the idea of finishing it.  I debated whether to take the time to do a detailed quilting job, or just to finish it quickly and move on.   This week I decided that done is better than debating it for another year!

Diagonal Strip Quilt in 5 sizes, Free Tutorial

Diagonal Strip Quilt in 5 sizes, Free Tutorial

This was a quick quilting job during Jane’s nap time and it definitely won’t be winning any awards, but it’s done!  Now it can be donated and go to a child who will love it, instead of hanging unfinished in my closet for another year…or three.

Diagonal Strip Quilt in 5 sizes, Free Tutorial

I put the plaid print from Hello Jane on the back, and it’s  very bright and busy.   Luckily my Sophie wanted to keep it for herself, so I know any other little girl will probably love it’s busyness!

Diagonal Strip Quilt in 5 sizes, Free Tutorial

It’s a weight off my shoulders to finish up all of my quilt tops and put them to good use.

THANK YOU for all the great comments and fabric ideas on my last post!  I love hearing what draws you to fabric!

The Quilty Box winner was MollyP (I emailed you!).

Have a wonderful week!

36 Responses to Done is better

1. Little Quiltsong July 24, 2017 at 3:42 am #

This is a beautiful finish! Love this quilt! I finally have your new fabric line in my sewing room and love, love the beautiful colors and prints/solids in it. Looking forward to sewing with it, hopefully soon :)!

2. quiltytherapy July 24, 2017 at 4:47 am #

Love this tutorial and the finish is great. Good job just finishing it. Has to be a big weight off your shoulders.

3. Pat S July 24, 2017 at 4:59 am #

This is so pretty. Nothing wrong with a quick finish.

4. Pamela Arbour July 24, 2017 at 5:01 am #

I agree with you. Done is better. I, too, spend way too much time debating the quilting when I should just quilt. I have no intention on entering shows, so I just need to learn to let go and quilt them! Thanks for the inspiration and the tutorial.

5. Gene Black July 24, 2017 at 5:38 am #

Yes, Done is Better! I need to get some “done” too.

6. Joan Lowder July 24, 2017 at 5:44 am #

So nice. I’m doing a scrappy one. Hubby not so crazy about it

• Allison July 24, 2017 at 8:50 am #

My hubby is not crazy about most of mine! 😉 Sew it anyways!

7. WriteAndQuilt July 24, 2017 at 5:46 am #

Love it!

8. Ann July 24, 2017 at 6:43 am #

Love this quilt! So fresh and bright! well done!

9. Barbara A. Johnson July 24, 2017 at 6:48 am #

I LOVE your blog,,,many tutorials are going to good use for me… I turned 70 this year and for the past few years have been finding joy in using up my STASH (embarrassing in it’s size) and donating to charities… I stipple, or try things out on a very basic mid arm for finish. It’s a win win! I call my style “primitive” FMQ… but most people are pretty impressed… Life is short… don’t want all that fabric i loved once to just sit there:)) GrammaBabs

• Allison July 24, 2017 at 8:51 am #

I’m stealing that style description “primitive” FMQ…definitely what I used on this quilt LOL!

• nonniew July 25, 2017 at 8:34 am #

Primitive FMQ! Love it! I’m working on a quilt for my youngest son, and that’s a great description of what I’m doing to it. But – yes- it will be done soon, and he won’t notice the imperfections! Done is definitely better. Thanks for the encouragement!

10. Lynne Tilley July 24, 2017 at 7:17 am #

Gorgeous quilt! Love orange!

• Sandy July 24, 2017 at 11:03 am #

Such a cute quilt and nicely quiltedand finished!

11. Zina Clark July 24, 2017 at 11:18 am #

So bright and cheery, I love it!

12. Helen LeBrett July 24, 2017 at 4:16 pm #

I’m sure any little girl would love it!! It is so bright and happy!! Those who don’t quilt aren’t as picky about what the quilting looks like: they are just impressed at a beautiful quilt! I just discovered that this weekend: I almost got done with a quilt for a young lady that I used to teach, presented it to her at her baby shower, and the original plan was to take it home to finish, and “correct” some of the quilting while I had it home to finish the binding. But I decided to leave in the bits of quilting that I didn’t like, when the young lady asked me,” What do you need to finish on it?” She didn’t even see that there was no binding!! So I realized that she wouldn’t notice the things that I was picky about!! Like your post title, “done is better”!!! Just got a FQ bundle in the mail today of Hello Jane: can’t wait to make a version of your blue and purple triangle quilt: it was so pretty!!! Hugs, H

• Allison Harris July 26, 2017 at 8:46 pm #

Love your story Helen! I agree we are our toughest critics! -Allison

13. Sharon July 24, 2017 at 4:30 pm #

Your quilt turned out great and I’ll bet any young girl will love it.

14. Vanessa July 25, 2017 at 1:37 am #

Yes – better when finished! Looks fab to me! Vanessa

15. Patti McGarry July 25, 2017 at 2:48 am #

This is such a bright , pretty quilt! Done feels so good, doesn’t it? Thanks for the pattern, I plan to put it to good use!

16. Judy July 25, 2017 at 6:10 am #

This is such a happy quilt! I love it!!

17. Barb N July 25, 2017 at 6:22 am #

Yes, this is a happy quilt for certain! Done is much better than Siting In The Closet!

18. Susan Mac Donald July 25, 2017 at 7:07 am #

the quilt is bright & beautiful; thanks for sharing…..any child or adult would love this!

19. Bernadine July 25, 2017 at 8:39 am #

Allison, I love all of your quilts, fabric lines, and patterns. This quilt really demonstrates your talent for mixing colors and prints, and knowing just how many solids to add into the mix. I always look forward to your postings. They inspire me to sew and finish my projects.

• Allison July 31, 2017 at 3:04 pm #

Thank you Bernadine…what a sweet comment!

20. Mary E Fee July 25, 2017 at 8:40 am #

So Agree! The “how to quilt” paralyzes completion. I just got through that hurdle this week….pieced a quilt full of stars…thought about stippling….meh… and realized that diagonal straight line quilting will eliminate any marking…I’ll just use the star points for reference….Ahhh!

21. Rosemaryflower July 25, 2017 at 8:41 am #

I LOVE THIS QUILT.
    Now I want to start another quilt!!

22. Rachel July 25, 2017 at 11:03 am #

Yes, yes, DONE is totally better. Here’s to easy quilting! I’m a fan.

23. Debbie Huber July 25, 2017 at 8:03 pm #

Done is also better than perfect. I have recently finished a 10 year old project. Yes, getting things completed really does make you feel so much better.

24. Pat T. July 26, 2017 at 4:04 am #

*Beautiful!*
    Love it!!
    Pat T.

25. Jamie July 26, 2017 at 10:10 am #

This is one of my favorite quilts you’ve ever made! It’s so pretty!

26. Karen Cooper July 27, 2017 at 10:23 am #

Who wouldn’t love that bright happy quilt?

27. Cindy M July 31, 2017 at 4:13 am #

So bright and colorful, love it! Gives me hope for some of the crazy fabrics I’ve bought on sale not knowing what I’d do with them! This is my answer!! Thanks!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. CraftCrave | DigiFree | CraftCrave - July 25, 2017

[…] Done is better – 2 freebie(s) […]

2. Favorite Things This Week - Quiltytherapy | Quiltytherapy - August 4, 2017

[…] variation on a string block is a go to for me.  Cluck Cluck Sew has the Diagonal Strip Quilt tutorial on her blog.  She finally finished her quilt.  She touches […]