Muavelous

Fat Quarter Friday Pattern

I am ALL about mauve lately!  It’s making a comeback!

It’s funny how color trends cycle through the years isn’t it?  Just like fashion trends I guess (jumpsuits?!).  It gives us a second or third chance to try all the colors!   I used the Cotton and Steel fish print to pull the rest of the colors in the quilt.   Most of the prints are a variety of Cotton and Steel with some basics pulled from my stash, and the perfect berry floral from the line Washington Depot by Denyse Schmidt.

Fat Quarter Friday Pattern

I used the fat quarters and made a quick Fat Quarter Friday quilt (the squares quilt from this pattern).  I think I’ll keep this one for myself…it’s my only quilt in these colors and will be a perfect pop of color in my house.

Speaking of my house…I’ve had oodles of questions about how my cabinets turned out since I shared that I was painting them last October!

I’m happy to say that I lived (barely) to tell the tale of painting my honey oak cabinets!  They turned out even better than I had hoped they would.  Not gonna lie though, this project was a killer…it took me 2 full weeks and so much hard work (and some tears!).   I don’t know if I’ll ever attempt it again but I’m glad I did it at least once!

Painting cabinets before and after!

I used this free guide pretty much step by step to paint my cabinets, except I only sprayed my doors, and I used a different grain filler.

Anyways…for those of you that asked, yes they are done, and yes I’m glad I did it!

Painting cabinets before and after!

Mostly I’m just glad they are done and I can get back to sewing.  Yay!

28 Responses to Muavelous

1. Mandy Hawkins March 12, 2018 at 11:20 pm #

Wow, thankyou for showing your kitchen, it’s gorgeous! Hope you enjoy getting back to sewing and your quilt is beautiful.
    Mandy Hawkins.

2. Ellen Thompson March 13, 2018 at 4:16 am #

I have painted cabinets too. We’re very happy with them.

3. Linda Nelson March 13, 2018 at 4:30 am #

Love your kitchen! We painted our cabinets(grey), got new countertops, and the exact range and microwave that you have! Love it all! Yours is so beautiful…and so much cheaper than a total gut job of kitchen remodel.

4. Rosemaryflower March 13, 2018 at 5:44 am #

I love your kitchen. I know it was a lot of work.
    I do have white cabinets (just that manufactured plastic paint coating cabinets, by Merilat I think) I love my white cabinets very very much. The only thing….. they show dirt 🙃😂 so I do have to wipe those key areas about once a week. I love the way your kitchen looks.
    Oak cabinets used to be so desirable and 17 years ago, I missed mine from my former house, but not for long.
    I love the quilt you made. I have a bit of Washington Depot left over too. I am going to use a few strips to make shoe laces, then sort out the remains by color in my stash. I loved that line, and I really enjoyed making the Cut Loose Quilt, Allison!!!

• Allison March 13, 2018 at 9:36 am #

Great idea to make shoe laces! Yes I do have to wipe the white cabinets down once a week or so, but I had to do that anyways with 4 kids plus a husband! ;) Thanks for visiting!

5. happyquiltingmelissa March 13, 2018 at 7:12 am #

I love the Mauve!!! And way to go on those cabinets!!! I have done that once before as well, and there were also tears. Love your new stove and subway tile as well, just gorgeous!!!

• Allison March 13, 2018 at 9:37 am #

I’m glad I’m not the only one having mini break downs painting cabinets! ;)

6. Linda March 13, 2018 at 7:31 am #

I love your quilt, the colors are so pretty! I’ve thought about painting my kitchen cabinets…not sure its something I want to tackle.

7. Beech Tree Lane Handmade March 13, 2018 at 7:39 am #

What a transformation on your kitchen! Incredible. Love the counters, too. Love that new quilt, top, too – great zingy colors.

8. Patti Kilcullen March 13, 2018 at 10:04 am #

Your kitchen went from blah to fabulous! Congratulations.

9. Helen LeBrett March 13, 2018 at 3:58 pm #

Gorgeous cabinets!! I told my husband that I refused to move into a house with oak cabinets: 31 years with oak and I’m tired of it!! But they aren’t really good enough quality to go to all the work of painting them, so I live with them. :-) And what a great quilt: I love the fabrics you put together for it! Hugs, H

10. Kate March 13, 2018 at 6:36 pm #

Years ago I went into a paint store to get some paint to paint my kitchen cabinets. The man behind the counter looked at me aghast and said, “You can’t paint kitchen cabinets.” I proceeded to buy the paint and painted my cabinets and years later, I repainted them a different color. Your cabinets are awesome. Makes me want to paint my new brown cabinets.

• Allison April 2, 2018 at 8:49 pm #

Oh that’s so funny! Now I bet they are used to everyone painting cabinets!

11. Penny March 13, 2018 at 9:31 pm #

Love your quilt ~ the colors just pop! What a transformation of your kitchen! I think it was worth all your “blood, sweat & tears!” A great update ~ so modern & clean looking!

12. Paige March 14, 2018 at 8:11 am #

Your kitchen looks fantastic! And I love the quilt too!

13. dondim March 14, 2018 at 10:24 am #

I love your new quilt because of the mauve. I’ve seen mauve in lots of clothing catalogs that come swimming through our mail. Your kitchen looks marvelous! I’m sure your tears dried once it was finished and all put back together. I hope so, anyway.

14. Sharon Browne March 15, 2018 at 8:14 am #

Although I never would have had the nerve to paint over real wood myself, your kitchen is gorgeous! I am so jealous!

• Allison April 2, 2018 at 8:48 pm #

I know what you mean…that first coat was nerve wracking! Thank you!

15. Dorothy March 18, 2018 at 1:55 am #

So what is your flooring ? i love it !!

• Allison April 2, 2018 at 8:47 pm #

It’s a Luxury Vinyl Plank, I think the company is TAS and the color is Harmony I believe.

16. amyusmart March 19, 2018 at 7:55 am #

Loving your new kitchen! (Whoa, so much work!) We painted our cabinets white a few years ago and I’ve never regretted it. The whole kitchen is so much brighter!

17. Laura Walsh March 21, 2018 at 6:58 am #

That fish print is so cute! I’ll definitely be adding a yard or 2 of that to my stash!
    I’m been thinking about painting our kitchen cabinets white; they’re already white, just to freshen it up. The task is extremely daunting though!

18. Susan Bellona March 21, 2018 at 12:42 pm #

Beautiful kitchen. Where did you get the stools?

19. Jordyn March 22, 2018 at 1:01 pm #

I painted my kitchen cabinets last summer. It is a killer, but so good once it’s done!!

20. Becky Rodney March 25, 2018 at 10:27 am #

What shade of gray did u use? So many grays look blue. Beautiful kitchen. Hoping mine turns out as good as yours.

• Allison April 2, 2018 at 8:45 pm #

The gray is called Zephyr and it’s a Cabinet Coat paint by Benjamin Moore, it’s one of their colors. Thanks!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Muave Fat Quarter Friday Quilt | Cluck Cluck Sew - May 10, 2018

[…] I am so pleased with this quilt!  The pattern for this quilt is Fat Quarter Friday, the squares quilt in the throw size, more details of the top are in this post here.  […]