Zookeeper Prism ABC Quilt

Zookeeper Prism ABC Quilt

I ordered this Zookeeper Prism ABC panel the second I saw it!

I had no plans for it, but I was hoping I would be able to cut it up and use it like I did with this Pokey Puppy Panel quilt (still one of my very favorites!).

Zookeeper Prism ABC Quilt Panel

Without much thought I started chopping up my panel, only to realize that the letters are not all the same width…so I would need to change the design.  The blocks are all 6 1/2″ tall, but ranged from 6″ to  6 3/4″ wide….so I decided to sew 2″ borders onto the sides of each block, then go back and trim them all up to the same size so I could sew them all together easily.

Note:  If you are attempting to cut up your panel, cut the letters into horizontal rows first since they are all the same height, then go back and cut in between the letters.  When adding the border strips, I cut the side strips first since they were all 6 1/2″ tall, then I cut the top and bottom strips longer than the blocks and trimmed them up after sewing them on to save time.

I trimmed all of the blocks up to 9″ wide x 9 1/2″ high, and added the 4 white blocks the same size to each corner of the quilt top.

This quilt ends up being a perfect crib size, 42 1/2″ x 54″.

Zookeeper Prism ABC Quilt

My only regret is that I didn’t plan out fabric placement at all…so I wouldn’t have put orange next to orange or stripes next to stripes, but it’s not too noticeable.

Funny story…two nights ago I had a nightmare that I sewed the letters together wrong and blogged about this quilt, and then because I didn’t know the alphabet I had to go back to college and retake all my classes and I was failing all of them when I woke up in a cold sweat.  So needless to say I checked and DOUBLE checked to make sure I had my letters in order before I sewed this together!  ;)

Zookeeper Prism ABC Quilt

I purchased my panel from here, (you can find lots of them if you Google it).   It’s digitally printed, but from what I’ve read it washes up great, so we shall see!

This was a super fast sew…it’s nice to have a quick, satisfying project now and then!

18 Responses to Zookeeper Prism ABC Quilt

1. Little Quiltsong November 9, 2018 at 3:38 am #

Very cute quilt! Had to laugh at your nightmare :)!

2. Pat S November 9, 2018 at 4:02 am #

Adorable.

3. Emily November 9, 2018 at 6:09 am #

Love the quilt! Sorry to read you had a nightmare – dreams are always so weird!

4. jesusknowsmyname November 9, 2018 at 6:54 am #

Easy and cute quilt, but lol about your nightmare. I didn’t know others had nightmares about being back in college and failing!

5. Cheryl Strong November 9, 2018 at 8:18 am #

What a cute panel. My college nightmare dreams are always about a math class I forgot to take! So funny we still have these dreams.

• Allison November 9, 2018 at 9:38 am #

I have that one all the time…a class I signed up for but didn’t know until the last day and I’m getting and F. ;)

6. Kristy S November 9, 2018 at 8:46 am #

Simply darling! I was watching your progress via Instagram and am just loving the finished result!

7. Becky Turner November 9, 2018 at 9:08 am #

I like to make ABC quilts and mix-up the letters so that it becomes a hide and seek game

• Allison November 9, 2018 at 9:38 am #

Good idea! And if I mix up the letters I can blame it on that!

8. Jamie November 9, 2018 at 10:19 am #

That’s adorable! I might have to make this…since I still have two kids young enough to appreciate one!

9. Claudia W November 9, 2018 at 10:52 am #

Cute cute cute! That turned out to be a really neat quilt!
    Nightmares are a pain is the…neck!

10. Verna Buchanan November 9, 2018 at 10:57 am #

You are such an inspiration! I love the ideas you have for using panels. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next. :D

11. Michele N. November 9, 2018 at 12:40 pm #

Love your quilt – bright and lively but easily done. Perfect for a baby quilt. But you scared me
    with your comment regarding it being digitally printed but hopefully will wash well. Is this an issue we should be paying attention to? Do digital prints require special care?

• Allison November 9, 2018 at 1:19 pm #

No digital prints don’t require any special care….and I’ve used digital prints that sew and wash better than my regular cotton fabrics I buy on the bolt. Spoonflower and Hawthorne threads are some of the bigger companies selling digital prints that are high quality. So I think it just depends on the company that is printing them. This one is printed by Hoffman fabrics so I trust it just as much as some of the fabric I’ve purchased from Spoonflower.

12. Shasta November 11, 2018 at 3:15 pm #

This turned out really pretty, and now you have a quilt to remind you of the alphabet. In my dreams, I don’t even know where the classes are or what time, so I wander around looking for one that “looks right!” but I can never find it because I don’t know what my teacher looks like!

13. Kelly O. November 12, 2018 at 6:35 pm #

Alison, this is such a clever looking quilt! Bravo!

14. Melanie Bhagat November 14, 2018 at 10:46 pm #

That is a funny dream. And a nice quilt!

15. Juliana Ellington November 15, 2018 at 9:04 am #

Such a cute quilt! I had a good laugh about your nightmare. I rarely have bad dreams, but occasionally I still have teacher nightmare dreams in August. Maybe your quilt-inspired nightmare is a similar occupational hazard? I’ve been retired for 5 years, but I’m guessing you will never retire from quilting, thank goodness.