Shimmer block-a-long

Shimmer Quilt Block

This week I finally started making another  Shimmer quilt .   This will be a perfect winter/spring project, and I’m going to take it slow(ish).  I’m going to make 4 blocks a month, so by July I’ll have 20 blocks for a throw size.

Want to join me?

These blocks are really fun to make!

Shimmer Quilt Block

I put the Shimmer Pattern on sale (PDF here, Paper copy here), in case you want to sew along with me.

I’ll be sharing my blocks in a post in the last week of each month.   If you are on Instagram, you can add your blocks with the hashtag #shimmerquilt (there are some BEAUTIFUL quilts already there for inspiration!).

Shimmer Quilt Pattern

I cut all of my white/background fabrics at once so it’s out of the way, and I’m going to choose different fabrics each month for my blocks.  There is a diagram with each cutting size in the pattern so you can cut what you need for only one block.

You could make 1 block a week, or whip out 4 blocks in a sewing session…whatever works.  Things are pretty low key over here!

Shimmer Quilt

Just think…by the time you have your blocks done it will be SUMMER again.  Time flies by too fast!

If you want to join me, the Shimmer pattern can be found here on sale, get your background fabric all cut out and ready, and if you need fabric inspiration, visit here!

24 Responses to Shimmer block-a-long

1. Susan Eubanks January 23, 2019 at 10:17 am #

Would a fat quarter bundle and a few yards of background fabric make this? I’m trying to make things from my stash so basing my decision to participate in whether I already have some fabric.

• Christine Ramsey January 23, 2019 at 11:40 am #

Susan, I’m sure FQs would be great, because you’re using such small pieces, in the block.
      Assuming this is a 12″ block, the corner HSTs are probably 3.5″(plus seam allowance), and the center is 5″(plus s/a), and you’ll be switching fabrics from block to block.
      I, too, plan to work from stash.

• Allison January 23, 2019 at 6:32 pm #

Yep it would! It can use 20 fat quarters and 1 3/4 yard background for the throw size. I cut all of my background fabric and I’m going to cut the print block fabrics from whatever fabrics I have at the moment for the next few months. :)

2. 8machinesJudy January 23, 2019 at 4:18 pm #

I want to try!! I have the pattern. Just need to find your fabrics😂

• Allison January 23, 2019 at 6:32 pm #

Yay! Find any cute fabrics or large scraps and join me!

3. 8machines January 23, 2019 at 4:33 pm #

I have a half yard bundle, plus extra, of “hello Jane” that I have been saving!!

• Allison January 23, 2019 at 6:32 pm #

That will be super cute!

4. Sheila January 23, 2019 at 6:30 pm #

Love this pattern, especially with these pretty, bright colors. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Kathy January 24, 2019 at 10:40 am #

Oh, I’m definitely going to give it a try! I have a bunch of vintage fabrics and this will be perfect for them! I like and appreciate the “slow sew” timeline. Thank you!

• Allison January 24, 2019 at 9:18 pm #

This will be beautiful in vintage fabrics!!!

6. Jolene Otter January 24, 2019 at 1:26 pm #

I’m going to do this for myself since most of the quilts I do are for others or for the nonprofit I belong to that makes and gives quilts away. I do not lack for fabric and may do it with all my hand-dyed fabrics or vintage since I have tons of that including bolts of vintage. Looking forward to doing this quilt.

• Allison January 24, 2019 at 9:19 pm #

That will be beautiful in Vintage fabrics Jolene! It looks good in really anything!

7. Deb S January 25, 2019 at 8:56 am #

Count me in – already bought pattern – now going fabric shopping in my stash! Just what I need – a low-key QAL. Thank you Allison!

• Allison January 25, 2019 at 4:52 pm #

Low key is definitely the only way I will do a quilt a long! ;) Glad you are joining in!!

8. Debbie January 25, 2019 at 11:59 pm #

I have a Tula Pink FQ bundle – would this be too busy

• Allison January 26, 2019 at 4:35 pm #

If there are a good mix of near solids in the bundle that I would say no, but I like to mix in a lot of near solids and blenders to mix up the busy prints and give the eye somewhere to rest. You could always add in some solids too that coordinate.

9. Cindy Smith January 26, 2019 at 4:59 am #

Allison, I just thought I purchased the pattern through PayPal but I didn’t receive an email. In fact I may have done it twice but still no email. Let me know if you receive anything.

10. Stephanie January 26, 2019 at 11:55 am #

Excited for this quilt along! Just need to choose my fabrics … am going for the queen size so it’s a good opportunity to sew from my stash.

11. Gayle S. January 27, 2019 at 9:18 am #

Just ordered the pattern. Excited to see along.

12. bogeywogeybiker January 27, 2019 at 1:30 pm #

I just bought the pattern from your site and I have started cutting my fabrics,all I need now is some inspiration to get started and I think you have just given it to me.

• Allison January 28, 2019 at 10:20 pm #

Yay I’m so glad you are sewing along with us!

13. Paula February 4, 2019 at 12:31 pm #

I am definitely going to join. I have the pattern already!