Grassy Doe Quilt Top

Instead of sewing the blocks together all boring-ish, I decided last minute to sew these blocks into rows with sashing in between.  I happened to have a half yard of the green fabric which semi-matches…and sometimes semi-matching is as good as it gets!

I had some requests for how to make these little 9 patch blocks…they are super easy with this stack n’ whack method, so hopefully some pictures will suffice.

I stacked my 5” charm squares and cut a 1 1/2” strip in the center of each.  Then swap the center strips and sew back together…press towards the print fabric (so in different directions for each block).
Charm-Square-Cross-Road-Blocks-Cluck[1]

Then cut another 1 1/2” strip in the center of each, swap the strips, and sew them back together matching the seams.  Again, press towards the print (if the center strip is mostly print…press towards center strip).  The blocks measure 4” unfinished.

The trickiest part is remembering the pressing directions for each blocks so your seams will nest.  Luckily it’s not the end of the world if they don’t…and you can always press your seams open and not worry about it.

Nesting Seams, Cluck Cluck Sew_thumb
Sometimes I flip the quilt over and look at all the seams and I’m a little amazed that I sewed and pressed each one of them.  🙂

I cut my green strips 2” by the average width of the rows, and if I remember right the Kona green is Leprechaun.  This quilt measures about 36” x 45”…give or take a bit.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

24 Responses to Grassy Doe Quilt Top

1. Susanne vb November 26, 2014 at 12:08 am #

I like! Can't go wrong with 9 patch 🙂

2. Melissa Corry November 26, 2014 at 12:29 am #

Love that quilt top!!! And what a super fast way to make your 9 patches 🙂

3. shannyn kelly November 26, 2014 at 5:10 am #

Your seams are so tidy!! I don't know what I do wrong but I always end up with at least one or two sets that are just…wonky. Oh well. Practice makes perfect!

4. Mª Alba November 26, 2014 at 7:26 am #

Moltes gracies per aquest tutorial tant ben explicat.
    petons des de Catalunya

5. margaret November 26, 2014 at 7:52 am #

thanks for sharing how you made the blocks, quilt looks great

6. Sewmotion November 26, 2014 at 7:56 am #

What a great idea, and so effective! Happy Thanksgiving from over the pond 😀

7. neweverymorningpatchworkandquilting November 26, 2014 at 8:00 am #

Thanks! Your lovely quilt and the bright photos have brought some light to a very dull November day here in the UK! Thanks for explaining and showing with such pin-sharp photos how you made the blocks.
    Allison

8. Rachel Hass November 26, 2014 at 11:57 am #

I love this idea. Sounds like fun
    Rachel

9. ✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ November 26, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Oh I love the semi-matching green! It gives the quilt so much life! I agree, semi-matching is often the best choice. Have a wonderful thanksgiving Allison!

10. Jayne November 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Oh so pretty…the green sashing works!

11. kathy-o November 26, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

I love simplicity in sewing! This is a darling quilt – kind of reminds me of a wonderful green salad! Happy Thanksgiving!

12. Ness November 26, 2014 at 2:41 pm #

Love your little quilt! There is something theraputic to me about cutting it all apart and sewing it back together…LOL. I love 9 patch in any combination. 🙂 The green is cute! Reminded me too…have you seen the ninja turtle blanket made with green stripe then colored stripe…in the colors of the ninja turtle masks and then they put a pair of eyes on the "mask" stripe. It's on my pinterest board. Need two for great nephews for Christmas! 🙂 I think the original I pinned was actually knit or crocheted…mine will be quilted. 🙂
    Happy Thanksgiving and I'm thankful for disigners/quilters/bloggers that share their talent, "know how" and cute designs with us . Thanks :), Ness

13. Doris Rice November 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

A great nine patch quilt – my fav. And great tut to go with it too!

14. piecemakerquilts November 26, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

Thanks for another great tutorial – I'm a little dizzy thinking about how many little squares are in this quilt but it is really nice.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family
    Colleen

15. Lynne Shandley November 26, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

Thanks for the 9-patch tute! That will help me use up some stash quickly 🙂

16. Anina November 26, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

I love nine patch quilts and you put a such nice original spin on this one.

17. Julie in WA November 26, 2014 at 7:03 pm #

Nine patch is my most favorite block ever! Thanks for sharing the completed top, as well as how you made the blocks. What size is your finished top?

18. ParadiseBreeze Quilts November 28, 2014 at 5:55 am #

Thank you – you make it look so easy! Thanks for your inspiration all year – have a great Thanksgiving – from Australia 🙂

19. Mr. Briggs November 28, 2014 at 6:08 am #

Thank you for sharing this tutorial and the beautiful finished top. I would not have thought to use dashing the way that you did. Now I'm gonna have to get some Doe. Maybe Santa will be kind.

20. FLR November 28, 2014 at 8:33 am #

Lovely fresh nine-patch!
    groetjes
    Francisca

21. Rachel Hass November 28, 2014 at 11:35 am #

I love quilting idea, & just cannot wait for the nrw year to begin. Thank.you so much and hope you and your ones had a great Thanksgiving!

22. Denise Russell December 2, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

Great idea to put in the sashing. I hope all of you are feeling better now!

23. Carla January 9, 2015 at 4:14 am #

Love the block and how easy you made it look with your tutorial.
    Thanks for sharing

24. Kathy September 30, 2016 at 7:57 pm #

I love this 9 patch…do you cut in middle sew, and cut again?? 1 1/2″ each time to make them look different foe each block??? Ty