An Hourglass Pattern and an Hourglass a Day

How to make Hourglass Quilt Blocks

Last week my friend Trish posted her new project to make an hourglass block a day, and it felt like a perfect fall project for my current crazy life situation.

How to make Hourglass Quilt Blocks

I can make 2 hourglass blocks in just a few minutes…so I can fit in a block here and there while I’m helping my kids with schoolwork.  I also have a large random assortment of fall-ish fabrics I’ve had for years…so it’s a great way to stash bust.

How to make Hourglass Quilt Blocks

I wrote a tutorial for an hourglass quilt years ago, so I thought it a good time to update it, add some sizes, and make it printable.

How to make Hourglass Quilt Blocks

Click here or the image above to go to the printable pattern.

It also has a handy chart for lots of sizes.

How to make Hourglass Quilt Blocks

I’m currently making the 4 1/2″ finished size (6″ starting squares), and hoping to have 208 blocks to sew into a throw size quilt by the end of November (16 rows of 13 blocks each 58 1/2″ x 72″) .

If I make 6 blocks a day I’ll have enough to sew into a quilt in 35 days.

How to make Hourglass Quilt Blocks

It makes a great low stress project if you decide to join us making an hourglass (or 6) a day!

Update:  Here’s my finished top!! Isn’t it fun?!

Free Hourglass Quilt Tutorial

30 Responses to An Hourglass Pattern and an Hourglass a Day

1. Robby H. October 8, 2020 at 6:01 am #

Thanks for updating your pattern. This also caught my eye a couple days ago. I sew at our dining table and trimming is one of those things that is easiest for me to fit into a few minutes if I keep everything I need together. Much faster than dragging out my machine actually.

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:47 pm #

That’s the only way I get any trimming done…a few here and there at my kitchen counter!

2. Debbie Clarke October 8, 2020 at 6:02 am #

Thanks! Just the kind of project that can use everything in the stash. I love the one a day idea too. I did the Quilty Circles a couple of years ago and enjoyed that. The tutorial is perfect.

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:47 pm #

I need to make those circles again too!

3. Sheila October 8, 2020 at 7:20 am #

Thanks for the update for this pattern. I made a baby quilt a couple of years ago based on your older pattern and loved how it turned out. (Your patterns are so well written and easy to follow.) Now a new hour glass quilt looks tempting.

4. Lesley Gilbert October 8, 2020 at 7:32 am #

I love hourglass quilts – so much variety can be made with odd fabrics and placements – thanks for the up-dated pattern :)

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:46 pm #

Me too…they are classic but also look different each time!

5. Terry October 8, 2020 at 9:00 am #

I agree, trimming can be no fun.
    What ruler do you use for trimming the hourglass block.

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:46 pm #

I just use my little 5″ or 6″ ruler and my rotating cutting mat. Someone also mentioned the Quilt in a Day ruler that’s fabulous for these…so I might try that! I’ll share if it works!

6. Lynne Nicholson UK October 8, 2020 at 9:07 am #

Trimming sounds like hell to me so another reason I’m blessed to be registered blind and using an Accuquilt- I sew the quarter square triangles together and I’m done.

It’s my birthday soon (59) I may try to do a year of blocks to reflect my mood until my 60th… and it may include some hourglass blocks now.

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:45 pm #

LOL! I had an accuquilt and I never used it…maybe now I should rethink that!

7. Susan October 8, 2020 at 9:23 am #

Thank you for the pattern and chart. When I am able to sew again I am going to try this.

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:45 pm #

I hope you can sew again soon!

8. Judy Rayhon October 8, 2020 at 1:41 pm #

Thanks for the pattern cant wait to try it . Love it..
    Judy Rayhon

9. Alycia Quilts October 9, 2020 at 7:36 am #

ohh i like it!! what a fun idea!

10. Ruth Smith October 9, 2020 at 8:15 am #

One of my first quilts was made using your original hourglass pattern. The update looks great! Thank you for tutorials that are always so clear and well-written. By the way, Quilt in a Day has a wonderful 6.5″ Triangle Square Up Ruler that makes trimming a breeze for all HST up to 6.5″. You trim down as last step before opening up the finished hourglass. I don’t have many rulers, but this one’s a gem.

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:35 pm #

Oh I’ll have to try that! I think I might even have that ruler somewhere stashed in my drawers somewhere!

11. lynn bourgeois October 10, 2020 at 4:41 am #

One or two a day appeals as some days just don’t support anything more. I really enjoyed your tutorial. Thanks

12. Diane October 10, 2020 at 12:13 pm #

Allison:
    Your instructions are so good! Thanks.

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:34 pm #

I’m glad they are helpful!

13. Sonia October 11, 2020 at 10:45 am #

Thank you for sharing this how to for this block. And the size chart, I struggle with sizing blocks.

14. Margaret. edmonton a.b Canada October 12, 2020 at 8:29 am #

Hi can u show me pattern of 4patch or 6 patch block & sew around with strips to make a log cabin block.
    that was posted a few days ago.? thx

• Allison October 12, 2020 at 12:34 pm #

You might be thinking of someone else, I don’t recall posting a block like that. Sorry!

15. Sally Hurst November 12, 2020 at 12:34 pm #

I’m almost finished with the hourglass blocks–I got a late start. For the final trim up of the hourglass block I use the June Tailor ‘Perfect Half-Square Triangles’ template. It’s marvelous for this block, as it has lines on it to use to cut various sized hourglass blocks. You do have to turn it once to cut the other two sides, but it allows you to get a perfect hourglass block. I haven’t used mine in a long while, and thought they might not sell it anymore, but I noticed that MSQC sells it.
    Thanks for this pattern; I loved using up a lot of my leaf and other miscellaneous fallish fabrics.
    I love your patterns, and have done several of your quilts. I just made the baseball quilt for a friend, and she loved it!

16. Linda Armentrout December 2, 2020 at 8:44 am #

Alison, I just sent you an email as well. I tried blocks like these earlier this fall and had a terrible time squaring each hourglass up – they did not end up even on all sides! Can you please do a tutorial on exactly what i need to do?
    I tried using the diagonal on my ruler and still messed up. I was thinking of making 6 inch finished hourglass, and use my 8 inch square ruler to trim up? Thx

• Allison December 2, 2020 at 10:43 pm #

I just emailed you a great video! I am not a pro at squaring up!