Simple Heart Quilt

I revised this tutorial a bit so the hearts are 2 print pieces instead of 4 as in the quilt above. Now there are less seams and they are much easier to piece!

I was going to share this tutorial with you when the quilt was all finished and cute, but decided instead to share it with a month to spare before Valentines Day in case you want to make one!This post includes how to make the quilt including yardages, or you can just make one block. This little quilt measures 36” x 43” and will be even cuter once quilted in little swirls and bound in bright red.  The blocks are 7” finished…so it’s easy to make larger or smaller.

This layout was a last minute switcheroo…so if your planning ahead you could make this quilt with less seams by making just the center hearts themselves and use sashing (white strips vertical between the blocks, then horizontal between the rows).  Since I will do almost anything to avoid sashing…I made full blocks with borders.  You can do either…follow your heart. I had to throw a heart pun in there somewhere.  😉

For the quilt you’ll need:
  • 20 print squares at least 5”, or 2 1/2” x 9” print strips
  • 1 1/2 yards background fabric
  • 3/8 yard binding fabric
  • 1 1/2 yards backing fabric
– Cut each print square into: 2 strips 2 1/2” x 4 1/2”

– Cut the background fabric into:
  • 3 strips 2 1/2” x width of fabric.  Cut each strip into 15 squares 2 1/2” (40 total)
  • 2 strips 1” x width of fabric.  Cut each strip into 40 squares 1” (80 total)
  • 5 strips 2” x width of fabric.  Cut each into 8 strips 4 1/2” (40 total)
  • 8 strips 2” x width of fabric.  Cut each into 5 strips 7 1/2” (40 total)
  • 2 strips 4 1/2” x 35 1/2” for the side borders
  • 2 strips 4 1/2” x 36 1/2” for the top and bottom borders
– If you only want to make one block instead of a whole quilt you’ll need:  2 print strips 2 1/2” x 4 1/2”, 2 background 2 1/2” squares, 4 background 1” squares, 2 background strips 2” x 4 1/2”, and 2 strips 2” x 7 1/2”.

To make the quilt:

1.  On each of the 2 1/2” background squares draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.  Place a square at the bottom of each 2 1/2” x 4 1/2” strip as shown.
2. Sew along the drawn line.  Trim the corner leaving 1/4”, and press out.
3. Place a 1” square in each top corner of the print strips.  Draw a diagonal line (or eyeball it) and sew from corner to corner on each square as shown below.
4. Trim corners leaving 1/4”, and press seams open.

5.  Pin seams and sew the two sides together.  Press seam open.

6.  Layout 2 of the 4 1/2” strips, and 2 of the 7 1/2” strips.  Sew the side strips to the block first, press out, then sew the top and bottom strips on.  Block should measure 7 1/2”.  Make 20 blocks for the quilt.

7.  Layout the blocks in 5 rows of 4 blocks each.  Sew blocks together to form the rows(seams won’t nest so make sure to pin…or don’t…I won’t tell), press seams in alternating directions.  Sew rows together to make the quilt top.

8.  Add the borders.  Cut 2 border strips 4 1/2” x 35 1/2”, then pin and sew a strip to each side of the quilt, press out. Cut 2 border strips 4 1/2” x 36 1/2”, pin and sew a strip to the top and bottom of the quilt.  Press out.  Done!!!  When you get ready to bind, you’ll need to cut 5 strips 2 1/2” x width of fabric.
Simple Heart Quilt_thumb[3]

If you have any questions I’ll answer them in the comments.  Happy quilting!  🙂

105 Responses to Simple Heart Quilt

1. Joy January 14, 2015 at 11:26 pm #

Love this! Thanks!

2. Linda January 14, 2015 at 11:31 pm #

Such a pretty little girl, and of course a pretty quilt too.
    So glad there is someone else out there who dislikes sashing.

Linda

3. Corrie H. @ Mountain Stitches January 14, 2015 at 11:34 pm #

very nice! Thanks for sharing with us in time for Valentines day!

4. Quiltineering January 14, 2015 at 11:50 pm #

Such a super cute quilt!!

5. Lisa January 14, 2015 at 11:54 pm #

This speaks to me. Must make one!

6. tabbiegirl January 14, 2015 at 11:56 pm #

Allison…every quilt you make is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing this adorable quilt and the tutorial! You never fail to inspire me!

7. Lisa Walsh January 15, 2015 at 12:15 am #

This is so adorable! Thank you for the tutorial!

8. Auntie Pami January 15, 2015 at 12:41 am #

Thank you! Love the pic with Sophie!

9. Unknown January 15, 2015 at 1:50 am #

On my list to make! So cute!! Thanks for the tutorial! And oh my goodness Allison, when did your little angel grow up!! ;0)

10. Unknown January 15, 2015 at 1:51 am #

↑ it's me Trish not sure why my blog isnt showing up (notes of sincerity)

11. ParadiseBreeze Quilts January 15, 2015 at 2:02 am #

Thanks Allison – this is lovely! Sophie looks so adorable. I still have a rocking chair given to me by my grandfather. She looks so happy in her chair!

12. Jaia January 15, 2015 at 2:34 am #

How adorable! I'd love to make one for next year.

13. Buffy Skolnick January 15, 2015 at 3:01 am #

Thanks for sharing the love!

14. Donna January 15, 2015 at 3:06 am #

Great quilt! Thanks for posting. Your precious baby girl is growing way too fast! Happy New Year!

15. Tessa Marie January 15, 2015 at 3:24 am #

Such a sweet little heart! I always love the fabric choices you make, and these lend themselves so well to a simple design. Your little Sophie is getting so big (I have a Sophie too, who is now 13 – it really does go so fast!!)

16. Cindy January 15, 2015 at 3:25 am #

This is just too cute- thanks for sharing! I can't believe how much little Sophie has grown- just too precious!

17. Lia January 15, 2015 at 5:34 am #

Thanks for the great tutorial. I love the quilt and will be adding to my to do list

18. Nela Barrow January 15, 2015 at 5:43 am #

What a sweet quilt. I am so excited to make a couple mug rugs with the single block for the ladies in my daughter's school.
    Thanks for sharing!

19. Patchwork and Play January 15, 2015 at 6:20 am #

Such a sweet pattern! Thank you fro sharing it with us!

20. Patty January 15, 2015 at 6:48 am #

This is cute and simple. I really want to try this block. Thank you for sharing.

21. Mª Alba January 15, 2015 at 7:05 am #

Moltes gracies pel tutorial !!!
    Es un treball molt divertit.
    Petons

22. Hildy January 15, 2015 at 7:49 am #

Cute quilt! Thanks for the tutorial:-)

23. Heleen Groot January 15, 2015 at 8:11 am #

Gorgeous! Thank you.

24. Melissa James January 15, 2015 at 8:15 am #

I was just contemplating doing a cute heart quilt. Decided to check my email and here was your tutorial for an ADORABLE heart quilt! Talk about perfect timing! lol Guess I know what I will be working on this weekend! 🙂

25. Allison January 15, 2015 at 8:42 am #

Thank you for this straightforward and inspiring tutorial. I've forwarded it to my friends on Facebook 🙂 Hope some of them get inspired and pay your blog a visit!

26. Noela January 15, 2015 at 9:06 am #

Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing how to make it. hugs…..

27. Leonie January 15, 2015 at 9:45 am #

Gorgeous, thank you for sharing the tutorial.

28. kitty January 15, 2015 at 10:13 am #

This is such an adorable little quilt!! Thank you for the tutorial! But even more adorable is your little Sophie!!

29. tiffany January 15, 2015 at 1:07 pm #

Too cute! Thanks for posting before Valentine's Day… I think I'll make little heart mug rugs for my kiddos!

30. stephanie January 15, 2015 at 1:33 pm #

Totally making this! Thanks for the awesome step by step!

31. abengel January 15, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

I like the alternative to sashing. I don't mind sashing, but this would be allow a person to use low-volume prints in the background instead of white, or even tone-on-tone whites.

32. Mary Caldwell January 15, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

Very cute pattern~! Thanks for sharing. Wondering how wide you cut your borders, I didn't see where you noted the measurement. My apologies if I missed it. Thanks again for sharing just in time for Valentine's Day.

33. Preeti Harris January 15, 2015 at 2:25 pm #

Love the simplicity of the pattern. And so adaptable to a pillow/cushion. For those of us who have big intentions but little time!!!

34. Micah January 15, 2015 at 2:26 pm #

This is SO cute!! I just finished a heart quilt, but I have to make this one too ;). One question! Does each print need to be cut in quads or could it just be cut in half, each hst at the top and then alternate the hst at the bottom? Does that make any sense at all?? It makes sense in my head but I'm not sure how that would change the diminsions!

• Judy January 23, 2016 at 8:58 am #

Not entirely sure what you are asking. Are you asking if you can make this with 4 squares, instead of 2 rectangles? If that is the question, the answer is yes, but you would have to make your squares big enough, that when you sew them all together, you are pleased with how the heart looks. I would start with some scrap fabric — maybe 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch squares — and see if that works for you.

35. I am Just One Mom January 15, 2015 at 2:30 pm #

Darling! May just do this for my grandchildren's teachers this year and change one heart into an apple.
    Thank you for sharing this sweet quilt.

36. Colleen Potter January 15, 2015 at 2:48 pm #

Thanks so much, love it ! I'm surprised at how much your little girls has grown too !

37. Libby January 15, 2015 at 3:00 pm #

Cute, especially the last photo with the precious little girl!!!!
    Also, I love the full blocks without the border, to me it makes the hearts "pop out" What a cute Valentine gift this will be !!!

38. Ness January 15, 2015 at 3:02 pm #

Adorable! and the sweetie pie sitting next to it also. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing how to! Just in time, think I can sneak this one in! 🙂 I'm with you…would rather not sash!!

39. Melissa Corry January 15, 2015 at 5:50 pm #

That is so stinking cute!!!

40. Deanna McNay January 15, 2015 at 5:51 pm #

Very Cute valentine's tutorial!

41. allison January 15, 2015 at 9:27 pm #

Micah – You could make the bottom half a flying geese unit instead of the two half square triangles…but for the ease of the tutorial and figuring it out I used the HST's. 🙂 Thanks!

42. Mira Collins January 15, 2015 at 10:15 pm #

Will this work with charm packs?

43. allison January 15, 2015 at 10:21 pm #

The only way it would work with a charm pack is if you made the bottom portion (the 2 HST's) a flying geese portion instead. It's easy to do I just didn't figure out the sizing of the white squares. If you do it my way, you'd need a 5 1/2" square or large scraps to get the squares out of it.

44. Anita January 15, 2015 at 10:55 pm #

This is awesome! I cannot stand sashing so I would use the block method. Thanks so much for this Allison! 🙂

45. Trisch January 15, 2015 at 11:27 pm #

Thanks for the great tutorial. I think the quilt looks very cute with the blocks that way. (no sashing) I saw a very cute mini version of your quilt block on Instagram!!

46. suzanprincess January 15, 2015 at 11:36 pm #

I do love hearts, and your block design has the best heart shape I've seen anywhere, so thanks so much for the tutorial, which I'll be using ASAP. Your color choices just make the quilt sing.

47. Laura Chaney January 15, 2015 at 11:41 pm #

This is so simple, yet so adorable. Love it! Thanks for sharing the pattern with us, too!

48. Lynne Shandley January 16, 2015 at 2:17 am #

Thanks for sharing the hearts with us! Perfect timing for the Seattle MQG swap 🙂
    Also, that is your "baby" isn't it – she's getting so big!

49. Lisa January 16, 2015 at 5:00 am #

Thank you for sharing it really is so cute!

50. Lucy Daniel January 16, 2015 at 9:21 am #

What a SWEET & ADORABLE quilt! LOVE IT!!!!

51. Jana Janky January 16, 2015 at 10:16 am #

Very ,very sweet quilt. Thanks for your tutorial. I think I have to make at least cushion cover for my girl…

52. allison January 16, 2015 at 10:11 pm #

I changed up this tutorial a bit so you can now do it with a charm pack for those that asked!! 🙂

53. Micah January 16, 2015 at 11:40 pm #

Yippee!!! Thanks for doing all the math for us!! I can't wait to try it out!!

54. Julie Cefalu January 17, 2015 at 1:42 am #

ADORABLE! That is the cutest little quilt! I'm going to pull some fabrics right now and get started. Thank you!
    Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

55. Verena January 17, 2015 at 7:56 am #

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

56. Christine @ 12,450miles January 17, 2015 at 12:23 pm #

Oh, I *love* this!! Thanks for the great tutorial!

57. Linda January 19, 2015 at 3:12 pm #

Adorable!

58. Sue January 19, 2015 at 6:28 pm #

Thank you! You are so generous and kind to share this great tutorial. 🙂

59. Sue January 19, 2015 at 6:29 pm #

Thank you! You are so generous and kind to share this great tutorial. 🙂

60. Sherry January 20, 2015 at 4:05 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful tut – cute Valentine quilt. Hoping to start mine tomorrow. Wow, your little one is sure growing up – where does the time go???

61. Allison January 20, 2015 at 4:47 am #

So cute! Thanks for sharing.

62. scrappychica January 22, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

I was directed to your blog from another blog I follow regularly, gluesticksblog.com and she used your tutorial and made pillows for her girls. I thought they were so adorable that the tutorial intrigued me. I am not a quilter, I won't even consider myself a sewer though I very much like to use my sewing machine and am slowly learning. I have a feeling that this post/tutorial is going to be "the one" that started it all if you know what I mean. I want to try this and am going to start by find out what a "charm pack" is. I love your quilt very much, the sweet little girl was just a cherry on top of it all, loved that smile!

63. allison January 22, 2015 at 8:09 pm #

scrappychica – A charm pack is a little pack of 42 5" squares of fabric. Usually different fabrics from a fabric line. 🙂 You could totally make these heart blocks!

64. Susie Murray January 23, 2015 at 6:14 pm #

An adorable quilt for Valentine's day. What little girl wouldn't love this quilt? Speaking of adorable, your little one is just as adorable as the quilt.

65. Ashley Calder January 24, 2015 at 5:31 pm #

ADORABLE quilt! Thank you for sharing this tutorial. 🙂 I have four girls, so I think a quilt like this is a must-have in our house. 🙂

66. NebraskaNative January 24, 2015 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks for sharing the great tutorial. Always, always love your creations and your unfussy-ness! 🙂 Cheers!

67. StarSpry January 26, 2015 at 6:42 pm #

What an adorable quilt! Thank you for sharing the tutorial 🙂

68. Milaney February 1, 2015 at 5:52 am #

What perfect timing. A dear little girl I adore is having openheart surgery and I was looking for just the right quilt to send her. Thank you for a great tutorial.

69. Sarah February 3, 2015 at 7:53 am #

OMG look how grown up Sophie is! I remember when she was born, and I guess she's nearly 3? But she looks about 5! It's the such long hair I think.

70. Lupe Quintard February 9, 2015 at 12:13 am #

I LOVE THE BLOCKS! It was so easy! My 8 year old granddaughter is making some now! She will make something for her teacher. Thanks and have a blessed day!

71. Ingrid February 11, 2015 at 3:40 pm #

Could you tell me the measurements for a finished 8 1/2" block? Thanks!

Ingrid

72. grannib50 February 12, 2015 at 7:06 am #

I just adore this quilt!!!! I am always looking for new fresh patterns for the children in the Primi ward at Phoenix Childrens Hospital . I make them to donate them. It just does my sole good 🙂 Thanks again !!

73. Di~ February 13, 2015 at 5:37 am #

Great tutorial, Allison. I've seen two blogs tonight which use this and link back. Very cute quilts too, plus my daughter made a table runner using this. Thanks!

74. Sue Niven February 13, 2015 at 9:15 pm #

simply stunning.

75. Kim February 20, 2015 at 7:50 am #

I am curious about how you are going to quilt this. Trying to come up with some ideas.

76. Rehana Sulaiman June 9, 2015 at 9:27 am #

I'm trying out this quilt and just finished my first block. However, it seems my finished block is 1/8" short of 7 1/2". Would this make a tremendous difference to the final quilt? Do I need to start over? I'm making this for my daughter using Liberty prints – looking forward to the finished product! Thanks for a lovely tutorial.

• Judy January 23, 2016 at 8:52 am #

I think the important thing is that all your blocks are the same size. So if they are all 1/8 inch short of 7 1/2 inches, your quilt will just be a little smaller. No one will know that, except you.

• Allison January 23, 2016 at 11:20 am #

Your blocks will be fine Rehana! Mine are often a bit short, it’s probably due to your seam allowance being a bit large. Just sew them all together as long as they are the same size (1/8″ off should be OK) you’ll be fine once it’s all sewn up.

77. Linda August 10, 2015 at 2:17 am #

Love this blanket. So cute. I hope you won’t mind me scheduling it to share on our social media 😀

• Allison August 10, 2015 at 7:42 pm #

Not at all Linda! Thank you! -Allison

78. Amanda September 22, 2015 at 10:09 pm #

How do you recommend quilting this??? I found this pattern, love it and used my bridesmaid dress i wore in my best friends wedding to make some of the hearts. (Then going to give to her little girl). I just finished today and am now trying to figure out how to finish it off. My grandma recommend taking it to her quilter but I am not sure I want to do that because they can just do a pattern all over the quilt and I don’t want to take away from those cute little hearts. I am very new at sewing so would love some recommendations.

• Connie December 1, 2015 at 5:55 pm #

did you receive a reply on ideas for quilting? I finished the top also and am looking for ideas of how to quilt.

• Allison December 1, 2015 at 11:34 pm #

Hi Connie! I’ve seen it quilted all different ways, all over free motion swirls, stippling, or straight line quilting 1/2″ or so apart also looks great. Anything looks great on the hearts! Good luck!

79. sjperona October 19, 2015 at 9:50 pm #

Just loved this project, it was such a great way to get back into quilting. Thank you for the tutorial!

80. Karee November 8, 2015 at 7:07 am #

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I think we will use this for our next Granddaughter retreat.

81. Maureen R December 13, 2015 at 5:03 am #

What a cute pattern! Thank you so much for sharing.

82. Mimi December 24, 2015 at 12:55 am #

Hi Allison!

I was wondering if you could let me know what the finished dimension of the quilt will be? And here’s a rather cheeky question: How would one go about making this with jelly rolls?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

• Allison December 24, 2015 at 2:02 pm #

Hi Mimi, this version is 36″ x 43″. To make it from jelly rolls you would just cut the strips for each block 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ from the jelly roll strips, you can make 4 of these sized blocks from each jelly roll strip. Thanks!

83. Lisa January 29, 2016 at 5:12 am #

so sweet…i am showing my 9 yr old daughter how I learned to quilt – by reading tutorials. She is impressed by the details! thank you

84. Hazel cox June 16, 2016 at 2:27 pm #

85. Monica July 4, 2016 at 6:03 am #

Planning to use my pink scraps for this. Question: How do you press the middle where the 4 mini-blocks come together? Do you clip, smoosh, and swirl the seams in one direction?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Simple Heart Quilt Tutorial - Quilting Focus - September 14, 2015

[…] Here is a link to the tutorial:  http://cluckclucksew.com/2015/01/simple-heart-quilt-tutorial.html […]

2. Finished Hearts | Cluck Cluck Sew - September 28, 2015

[…] quilt is from my Heart Quilt Tutorial I wrote in January.  There is also a tutorial here for making hearts in multiple […]

3. #15 Serca na kocyku/ #15 Heart Quilt | betyipiernaty - October 1, 2015

[…] wspominałam serduszka powstały według poradnika autorstwa Allison z Cluck Cluck Sew.  Wzór jest wdzięczny i przyjemny do pracy. Serduszka są […]

4. Handmade Holidays Nov. 7: Gifts for Good (Charity Sewing) | Sew Mama Sew | Outstanding sewing, quilting, and needlework tutorials since 2005. - November 7, 2015

[…] Heart Quilt The Simple Heart Quilt from Cluck Cluck Sew is perfect for any charitable cause. Make one to give to a charity for their […]

5. 2 Dogs Studio » Design Wall Wednesday 11.11.2015 - November 11, 2015

[…] to hang in my office cube for Valentine’s day. Once I found Cluck Cluck Sew’s tutorial ‘Simple Hearts’ I fell in love with the simplicity of the block. I know that I already have bunches of projects […]

6. Puppy Love Quilt | Gluesticks - January 15, 2016

[…] Heart Quilt Block Tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew. […]

7. Making Heart Blocks in Multiple Sizes | Cluck Cluck Sew - January 22, 2016

[…] your emails at least…so here’s some info on making those heart blocks in multiple sizes.  The full heart quilt tutorial is here. To make each heart block (just the center heart portion) you need 2 print strips, 2 large […]

8. Tiny Florals Heart Quilt - Arabesque Scissors - February 2, 2016

[…] today I’m showing you the quilt that I used these for…based on the delightful Simple Hearts pattern by Cluck Cluck Sew. And as I hoped, they teamed perfectly with some of the tiny florals […]

9. Sunday Freebies For February 7, 2016 | - February 7, 2016

[…] Blocks In Sizes From 4″ -10″ Simple Heart Quilt Dresden Star Quilt Flying Geese Strippy Quilt Patchwork Posies Quilt Alice Brooks Butterfly Quilt […]

10. Colorful Modern Heart Quilt - Sugar Bee Crafts - March 16, 2016

[…] used the tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew – it comes in different size heart options as well.  I used the gray fabric instead of […]

11. Hearts - March 19, 2016

[…] This is one of my favorite quilts I’ve made so far – and my first successful free motion quilt.  Woot! Here’s the tutorial I used that inspired me to give free motion another try. But something she doesn’t mention here that was a big game changer for me – was having a machine that will run the needle without the presser foot.  So…my machine has a button that I push, which will give me a steady state needle, going up and down at the same speed, until I push the button again, which makes it stop.  That made it so I only had to focus on moving the quilt with my hands, not also trying to control the pedal.  I guess I would never make a good drummer.  But my little brother might make a great free motion quilter. Heart tutorial by Allison Harris […]

12. 5 Things to Make with your Sew Sampler Box - The Crafty Mummy - May 12, 2016

[…] it would be perfect for showcasing the charm squares. Plus the tutorial makes it look super easy! Find the tutorial here or click the […]

13. Simple Heart Quilt tutorial – sewing mania club - June 2, 2016