Finished Gingham Coral Quilt

Gingham Coral Quilt

I finished up this quilt a few weeks before Jane was born.  It is so so so soft and the best weight…even though she won’t need it much this summer, it’s a perfect size to grow with her through the fall and winter.  Size and quilt top info can be found in this post.

Minky backed gingham coral quilt

I quilted it with super simple straight lines to exaggerate the gingham pattern a bit.  The backing is a super soft minky.  I get asked all the time how to quilt with minky on the back…I did a post about it you can find here.  Basically I just baste it like a mad woman and hope for the best.  🙂

Backing a quilt with minky

Turns out coral is kind of a nightmare color to photograph…it either looks orange and washed out or dark pink.  The picture below is pretty accurate I think…it’s more pink than it looks in all these pictures!

GIngham Coral Quilt

You can see a peek of the matching crib sheets I made.  Crib sheets are so easy to make.  I use Dana’s video tutorial here.  This time I used the first method and left the selvages in place and sewed the stretched elastic right to the selvage.

Coral Gingham baby quilt

Too bad there isn’t a scratch and sniff feature for your computer screen…because that fuzzy newborn head up there is the best smell in the whole world!

47 Responses to Finished Gingham Coral Quilt

1. dogloverlaura June 9, 2016 at 11:01 am #

Beautiful baby and cute quilt. Enjoy!

2. Carolyn June 9, 2016 at 11:25 am #

Just lovely…the baby and the quilt. 🙂

3. Jennifer June 9, 2016 at 11:27 am #

That is the most precious sight!!!

4. Sue Brummet June 9, 2016 at 11:34 am #

Such a beautiful baby and you are right…the sweet scent of a baby is so unique and forever etched in a Mother’s memory.

5. Teje June 9, 2016 at 12:47 pm #

So perfect for your beautiful baby! Turquoise binding is great!

6. The Joyful Quilter June 9, 2016 at 12:56 pm #

The quilt (AND the baby) are absolutely ADORABLE!!!

7. Paige June 9, 2016 at 1:11 pm #

Sooo sweet! And Teje is right, love the turquoise binding!

8. Helen LeBrett June 9, 2016 at 1:18 pm #

She is so cute!!!! Congratulations on your sweet new family member: I love the pic in a previous post of your hubby holding her and looking at her: such love!!! And I wish there was a scratch and sniff too: babies smell so wonderful (in between the poopy diapers and the spit-up!) 🙂 How fun it must be to wrap up something you made (baby) in something you made (quilt)! 🙂 Enjoy!!! So happy for you! Hugs, H

9. Lisa E June 9, 2016 at 1:36 pm #

Sorry, but I can’t keep my eyes of of Jane! :^) She is adorable. Congrats on your new baby girl.

10. jamie June 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm #

ohhhh! she’s SUCH a sweet-looking little angel! and that quilt is perfect! did you use batting, or just skip it completely?

11. dispack June 9, 2016 at 4:01 pm #

Wow, she is beautiful! I bet you are so loving her! The quilt is pretty too! 😉

12. Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts June 9, 2016 at 4:26 pm #

They do smell so good when they’re fresh from the oven, don’t they?!

13. Lauren June 9, 2016 at 4:44 pm #

Cute baby, cute quilt!

14. sogalthoughts June 9, 2016 at 4:50 pm #

Precious quilt for a precious baby!

15. Leanne June 9, 2016 at 7:36 pm #

Baby Jane is adorable and her quilt is pretty cute to, She looks like Sophie so much. xx

16. jennifer June 9, 2016 at 7:43 pm #

Such a sweetie girl and such a head of hair LOL! My son was the same way and as a 6 year old still has a crazy head of hair!

17. Rita Montgomery June 9, 2016 at 9:42 pm #

You’re blessed to have an earthly angel.

18. Judith Blinkenberg June 9, 2016 at 10:02 pm #

Oh, she is so precious! The quilt is beautiful! I made a Minky with flannel and pinned it well. It was nice thanks to your help. Enjoy your summer.

19. Charlotta Bright Norby June 9, 2016 at 10:10 pm #

So adorable! Most of us probably recognize enough of the fabrics that we can figure out the color! It’s always impossible to get a perfect picture of a quilt, they never look nearly as good in pics as they do in real life. But the quilt and baby together are hard to beat! Quite lovely ❤️

20. darlene June 9, 2016 at 10:31 pm #

jane is adorable as is her name … love old-fashioned names … and she’s gorgeous, too …. so, a question: do you ever use a spray adhesive to *glue* the minky and the quilt top to the batting, rather than pinning??? i’m lazy …

• Ellen June 10, 2016 at 6:38 am #

Hi Darlene – I have made several baby “quilts” with minky, quilting fabric, and satin blanket binding. I don’t use batting so they aren’t really quilts, and I use adhesive spray to stabilize the layers for quilting. It comes out with the final washing. BTW, it is important to prewash the quilting fabric because if it shrinks after you sew the layers together it looks bad.

21. pennylanequilts June 9, 2016 at 10:50 pm #

Thanks for sharing your sweet quilt and your even sweeter little babe.

22. Carol Baum June 10, 2016 at 4:06 am #

Loved your scratch and sniff comment. I’m a grandmother and remembered that smell of my babies as I read your blog.
    . So funny, but oh so true, nothing in the world compares to that experience. Your blanket is perfect in every way. I always enjoy your color choices and tutorials for some beautiful but simple quilts. The more complicated quilts are beautiful too but sometimes we need just a simple perfect quilt. Congratulations on baby Jane.

23. Kathy June 10, 2016 at 5:09 am #

Everything about this post is lovely. I miss the beautiful smell of a newborn baby head!!

24. Kathy O. June 10, 2016 at 5:13 am #

I’m in love with everything about this post – the pretty gingham quilt, the sheets (I’ve made several, too) and pretty little Jane….I only wish I could smell that sweet head, too. Lovely…..

25. Marianne June 10, 2016 at 6:48 am #

I agree, fuzzy newborn little heads smell the best! Love your quilt and yes, the red family is hard to photograph well! I am enjoying your pictures of Jane, keep them coming!

26. Anne June 10, 2016 at 7:54 am #

that is a REALLY cute quilt (and baby of course!) but BOY have i had problems with trying to sew Minky!

27. Ramona Chester June 10, 2016 at 7:55 am #

Interesting. The first minky backed quilt I made, all the little minky hair fibers where pulled back up to the top side of the quilt, so I try to find a very, very thin lining if I use minky. I agree about the baby smells though. She is adorable!

28. Amy Betts June 10, 2016 at 7:57 am #

She is absolutely beautiful, as is the quilt! Congratulations!

29. Rosemaryflower June 10, 2016 at 8:02 am #

Jane is soooo cute and sweet. She is already a great quilt model.
    The quilt is very pretty.

30. Karen June 10, 2016 at 8:58 am #

Jane is adorable! Congratulations on your little gift from God. Please post little feet for those of us who are reliving this wonderful newborn stage.

31. Barb Gordy June 10, 2016 at 9:44 am #

I love the quilt but baby Jane is beautiful! Oh, how I miss having little ones around. And I do miss their sweet smell. Nothing in the world like it. Thanks for posting the pictures.

32. friendrn54 June 10, 2016 at 7:05 pm #

She is beautiful. I wish I could smell that baby head. Pretty quilt for you little sweetie.

33. Claire Sutherland June 10, 2016 at 11:51 pm #

Love this. The colours are perfect and the minky looks so snuggly x

34. Little Quiltsong June 11, 2016 at 10:37 am #

Congratulations on your new little baby girl – so precious. Love the quilt you made for her. I just got back from helping out with our granddaughter, who is 3, as we welcomed her twin brothers, born on memorial day! Yes, that new baby smell is so special.

35. Michelle Jensen June 12, 2016 at 8:31 am #

So cute Alison!!! Love you little Jane 🙂

36. Kathy June 12, 2016 at 12:16 pm #

Nothing better than a new baby! She’s beautiful and I do wish there was a scratch and sniff!

37. Tracy June 13, 2016 at 2:28 pm #

She is beautiful. You are blesses.

38. Edie June 13, 2016 at 7:10 pm #

She is adorable! Many congratulations. Little babies are such a blessing.

39. Cindy June 14, 2016 at 6:01 am #

Your little Jane is just the sweetest! And I love your little quilt- especially the pretty colors!!

40. Sherrill June 14, 2016 at 7:31 pm #

Oh my gosh! How beautiful (the baby’s kinda cute, too..HA). Congratulations!! Love her old timey-kinda name. Sweet.

41. Barbara Beaman June 26, 2016 at 12:37 pm #

I love your work. So simple and that’s what I need. Question. On your top, do you use cotton charm packs.? I have always used flannel but wondered if cotton charm packs would work with minky. I buy a lot of them for baby quilts and sew like you on the one you showed
    Barbara

42. Karen June 27, 2016 at 1:56 pm #

How is Jane? Can’t wait for more pics

43. Nancy Guardado August 17, 2016 at 11:35 am #

I love this quilt… so much so that I am attempting to make one (my first ever quilt)! Did you use batting? Or just the minky? Thanks for your help!

44. Karen Matta November 24, 2016 at 6:55 am #

Love that new baby smell. Is there a pattern for this quilt? Like the dimensions, are the squares 5 inches and fabric requirements? I just love it and keep coming back to it. Congratulations on your new baby girl. She is adorable!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks