March favorites + Shimmers

Shimmer Quilt Blocks

Can you believe it’s the last week of March?!!!

If you’re sewing Shimmer blocks along with me for the block-a-long, it’s time to make 4 more blocks if you haven’t yet!  My blocks are very scrappy.  I’m choosing fabrics as I go and hoping for the best when I’m done…it might be a hot mess.  I’ve loved seeing all of the Shimmer blocks on Instagram

Ombre Basics Moda

I’ve been sewing a little bit behind the scenes with these pretty ombre fabrics.  I’m hoping to share my quilt soon but in the meantime I have lots of fabric photos!

The new colors of Ombre confetti, and solids come out in July.  They combine perfectly with the older colors (which are hard to find now but I found a jelly roll on Etsy).

Ombre Basics by Moda

My sweet Sophie turned 7 earlier this month (how?!!!).

I remember making her this pink hourglass quilt (tutorial found here) like it was yesterday.

Pink Hourglass Baby Quilt Tutorial

This is one of my favorite photos of her happily watching me sew.  It sums up perfectly what working and sewing with small babies is like…you just make it work.

I was making this quilt (free tutorial here).  I forgot how much I love that quilt and need to remake it.

This is one of my the most beautifully done simple music videos I’ve seen.  I dare you not to cry.

I’ve made this “healthy” pasta every week for months.  My picky family loves it and it turns out perfect every time in under 30 minutes.

Have a great week!  It’s spring break for us which means no sewing for Mom!  ;)

16 Responses to March favorites + Shimmers

1. Lily March 26, 2019 at 5:44 am #

Ohh, I woke up pretty late to the trend of ombre confettis and felt so tempted …but resisted…mainly because I just fear those metallic dots will peel off little by little and it’ll be heart wrenching. But FQS does carry a lot of them still. And I still wonder if I really need them

• Allison March 26, 2019 at 9:10 am #

They don’t peel off Lily! They are screen printed just like the other colors, it’s just a dye. I have them in my daughter’s quilt that I’ve probably washed 30 times from her crib…no peeling and they still look great!!

• Lily March 27, 2019 at 4:56 pm #

well, that’s miraculous! :) then I do need them after all.
        Is there a chance of seeing a snapshot of that quilt some time?

2. Sheila March 26, 2019 at 7:05 am #

Thank you for your post. I made your hourglass quilt last fall and loved how it turned out. And the music video… spot on! Thanks, Allison.

• Allison March 26, 2019 at 9:09 am #

I’m glad your quilt turned out well! Thanks Sheila!

3. Catherine March 26, 2019 at 7:44 am #

Sophie sure is a cutie!! Where does the time go…..
    Love that hourglass quilt. On my “to do” list.

• Allison March 26, 2019 at 9:09 am #

Thanks! Yes it does fly by!

4. Susan Bellona March 26, 2019 at 12:46 pm #

Allison, please help me choose one of your patterns that would work well with Tula’s Pinkerville. Her prints are pretty dynamic and I’m never sure how to choose a pattern. BTW my shimmer quilt is going to be really wild!!
    Many thanks.

• Allison March 26, 2019 at 9:23 pm #

Hmmm…Boxed Up might be good with that fabric, for sure a simple pattern to show off those fabrics!

• Susan Bellona March 27, 2019 at 8:24 am #

Thanks Allison. I appreciate your professional opinion.

5. Monica March 26, 2019 at 12:49 pm #

Michael Buble’ just needs one of your quilts in that video. ;)

6. Debbie March 26, 2019 at 2:20 pm #

Loved the video, my kids are 40 and 38 and it happened in a “snap”. Now it is flying by with the grandchildren. I remember when you posted the pink hourglass quilt. I was getting a grand daughter and printed it out (didn’t make it, but still have it). Always look forward to your posts and can’t wait to check out your recipe.

7. Judy Blinkenberg April 9, 2019 at 3:53 pm #

I am finally making your pink and white baby quilt. I have loved it all these years since you first posted it! I’m using Howdy, the girl colors, buy the pinks. I’m using a white with the little girl as my background. I will share a picture with you when I’m done. Remember the Righteous Brothers song: You Are My Soul and My Inspiration? Well, it’s mainly inspiration that you give me. Of course my Shimmer quilt will be done during the summer, but this baby quilt is for my daughters best friend. They grew up together and live so far apart now. It has to be special as this is her only daughter. Thank you again.

• Allison April 12, 2019 at 12:52 pm #

Oh please send me a picture Judy that sounds adorable!!! It’s going to be so cute!! I’m so glad you find inspiration here…makes all this work worth it!